PDA

View Full Version : 1st 10km on the KHS folder...

C.J.Patten
June 1st 05, 05:15 PM
WAHOOO!

I'd say I felt young again but I'm kinda feeling older and more sore than a
29 year old should. 8p

Man, that was SO fun! 21 degrees Celsius (70F) out today, bright, sunny blue
sky, light breeze. Heavenly day.

Local ride - around the suburb, through some bike paths - lots of green
space with wood-chip covered dirt paths through big deciduous trees.

I tweaked the seat, lowering it a couple of times. My butt and legs are much
more comfortable while riding now.

Soft-tail and forks are great! I was concerned the 20" wheels would hang up
on obstacles but they went over pine cones and exposed tree roots without
slowing down. Tires seems sure footed too... didn't feel like the bike was
going to slip out from under me on loose dirt.
I looked for every rut and rock I could find - no worries.

I'd previously sprayed boiled Linseed oil inside the frame in the hopes of
inhibiting rust.
Today, I found a spot where a drop of it got on the rear rack. It had dried
and congealed to the consistency of a brick of parmesan cheese... waxy but
hard. Took some effort to scrape it off. I'm looking at the bike right now
in the sun on the deck and I imagine the oil is turning in to armor inside
the tubes as it dries. Big thumbs up for boiled Linseed oil.

The shifters are 8 speed grip shifts. I've been living on the large front
chainring so far - the upper 1/3 of the gear range. I feel a tiny "gap"
between 5 and 6 - like there should be another gear there - but it's so
small this is probably just me being out of shape more than anything.

More to write when I get out there again. Planning on putting a video camera
on the rack next. (tripod socket bolted right to the rear rack) I'll post
video when I have it.

I missed biking!!!

Thanks for all your help recently folks. I wouldn't have known where to
start without you.

Chris in Canada's National Capital

Joe Canuck
June 2nd 05, 12:27 AM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> WAHOOO!
>
> I'd say I felt young again but I'm kinda feeling older and more sore than a
> 29 year old should. 8p

Only 10km and yer sore! ;)

Man, I go from Aylmer out to Kanata and back in the same day... and I'm
an old fart of 50. ;)

> Man, that was SO fun! 21 degrees Celsius (70F) out today, bright, sunny blue
> sky, light breeze. Heavenly day.
>
> Local ride - around the suburb, through some bike paths - lots of green
> space with wood-chip covered dirt paths through big deciduous trees.
>
> I tweaked the seat, lowering it a couple of times. My butt and legs are much
> more comfortable while riding now.
>
> Soft-tail and forks are great! I was concerned the 20" wheels would hang up
> on obstacles but they went over pine cones and exposed tree roots without
> slowing down. Tires seems sure footed too... didn't feel like the bike was
> going to slip out from under me on loose dirt.
> I looked for every rut and rock I could find - no worries.
>
> I'd previously sprayed boiled Linseed oil inside the frame in the hopes of
> inhibiting rust.
> Today, I found a spot where a drop of it got on the rear rack. It had dried
> and congealed to the consistency of a brick of parmesan cheese... waxy but
> hard. Took some effort to scrape it off. I'm looking at the bike right now
> in the sun on the deck and I imagine the oil is turning in to armor inside
> the tubes as it dries. Big thumbs up for boiled Linseed oil.
>
> The shifters are 8 speed grip shifts. I've been living on the large front
> chainring so far - the upper 1/3 of the gear range. I feel a tiny "gap"
> between 5 and 6 - like there should be another gear there - but it's so
> small this is probably just me being out of shape more than anything.
>
> More to write when I get out there again. Planning on putting a video camera
> on the rack next. (tripod socket bolted right to the rear rack) I'll post
> video when I have it.
>
> I missed biking!!!
>
> Thanks for all your help recently folks. I wouldn't have known where to
> start without you.
>
> Chris in Canada's National Capital

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home