PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Bike In The USA And Bringing It Back To The UK

June 1st 05, 08:30 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice.

I would like to purchase a Cervelo P3 carbon when I'm in New York on
holiday for a few days.

If I buy the bike in the USA it will cost me significantly less than
buying it here, in fact I couldn't afford to buy it in the UK.

Has anyone got any tips on how this can be done, are customs interested
Etc?

Any help would be fantastic.

Keep on peddling
Simon

mark
June 1st 05, 09:43 PM
> wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some advice.
>
> I would like to purchase a Cervelo P3 carbon when I'm in New York on
> holiday for a few days.
>
> If I buy the bike in the USA it will cost me significantly less than
> buying it here, in fact I couldn't afford to buy it in the UK.
>
> Has anyone got any tips on how this can be done, are customs interested
> Etc?
>
> Any help would be fantastic.
>
> Keep on peddling
> Simon

Given the amount of shopping that British visitors do over here, I would
guess that UK customs are developing an interest in that sort of thing.
There have been a few threads on this topic on uk.rec.cycling, it might be
worth your while to Google the topic or post this on urc. I would suggest
finding out what your airline charges to take a bike back in your baggage,
finding out what the taxes (VAT and import duty) will come to if you
declare the bike, and finding out what the penalty charges will be if you
don't declare the bike and get caught. You did factor in New York sales tax
(usually not included in the sticker price) when you checked the US price of
the bike, didn't you?
--
mark

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 1st 05, 10:42 PM
On 1 Jun 2005 12:30:30 -0700, wrote in message
. com>:

>If I buy the bike in the USA it will cost me significantly less than
>buying it here, in fact I couldn't afford to buy it in the UK.

You will have to pay duty and VAT on import. If you try to evade this
and are caught you will be in big trouble - don't mess with Customs &
Excise.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Diablo Scott
June 1st 05, 10:50 PM
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some advice.
>
> I would like to purchase a Cervelo P3 carbon when I'm in New York on
> holiday for a few days.
>
> If I buy the bike in the USA it will cost me significantly less than
> buying it here, in fact I couldn't afford to buy it in the UK.
>
> Has anyone got any tips on how this can be done, are customs interested
> Etc?
>
> Any help would be fantastic.
>
> Keep on peddling
> Simon

If you're interested in skirting customs, you might get a nice bike
transport case in UK, put a throw-away bike in the case for the trip to
USA and replace it with the Cervelo when you get to NYC for the trip
home. It would look like you had brought the bike with you when you came.

Caution - I do not have a criminal mind, I probably overlooked something
that would get you tossed in jail.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

araby
June 2nd 05, 01:13 AM
I guess you need it for triathlons. Does it have to be carbon? If not, the
P2 group seems much more reasonably priced.
Did you check the price/delivery from Canada where they are made?

http://www.cervelo.com/prices/canada.html

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some advice.
>
> I would like to purchase a Cervelo P3 carbon when I'm in New York on
> holiday for a few days.
>
> If I buy the bike in the USA it will cost me significantly less than
> buying it here, in fact I couldn't afford to buy it in the UK.
>
> Has anyone got any tips on how this can be done, are customs interested
> Etc?
>
> Any help would be fantastic.
>
> Keep on peddling
> Simon

trg
June 2nd 05, 03:48 PM
"Diablo Scott" > a écrit dans le message de news:
1117662644.0c5ce646bed5b0d2718a2205870bda5f@terane ws...
| wrote:
|
| > Hi,
| >
| > I'm looking for some advice.
| >
| > I would like to purchase a Cervelo P3 carbon when I'm in New York on
| > holiday for a few days.
| >
| > If I buy the bike in the USA it will cost me significantly less than
| > buying it here, in fact I couldn't afford to buy it in the UK.
| >
| > Has anyone got any tips on how this can be done, are customs interested
| > Etc?
| >
| > Any help would be fantastic.
| >
| > Keep on peddling
| > Simon
| >

| If you're interested in skirting customs, you might get a nice bike
| transport case in UK, put a throw-away bike in the case for the trip to
| USA and replace it with the Cervelo when you get to NYC for the trip
| home. It would look like you had brought the bike with you when you came.
|
| Caution - I do not have a criminal mind, I probably overlooked something
| that would get you tossed in jail.

You don't need to put a cheap bike in the case it on the way over, US
customs doesn't care if you enter with a bike case with no bike in it, and
customs in the UK doesn't know what you left with. I've done this from
France, I took a softcase to the US and came back with the new bike in it.
No problems. Of course, I've never had anyone check whether my bicycle was
bought while abroad, although I always take the precaution of not having the
sales receipt with me.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home