PDA

View Full Version : Why????

June 2nd 05, 12:12 AM
Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
riding gear. For what? This has to stop.

Neil Brooks
June 2nd 05, 12:14 AM
wrote:

>Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
>fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
>that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
>riding gear. For what? This has to stop.

Let me be the first to jump in and ignore your post....

Joe Canuck
June 2nd 05, 12:28 AM
Neil Brooks wrote:

> wrote:
>

>>Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
>>fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
>>that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
>>riding gear. For what? This has to stop.
>

> Let me be the first to jump in and ignore your post....

You failed miserably.

Neil Brooks
June 2nd 05, 12:29 AM
Joe Canuck > wrote:

>Neil Brooks wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
>>>fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
>>>that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
>>>riding gear. For what? This has to stop.
>>

>> Let me be the first to jump in and ignore your post....
>
>You failed miserably.

"A" for effort? ;-)

psycholist
June 2nd 05, 12:47 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
> fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
> that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
> riding gear. For what? This has to stop.

I've yet to see anyone who looks good in cycling shorts. Well, there's this
one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's the
very rare exception.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

araby
June 2nd 05, 01:17 AM
"psycholist" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
>> fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
>> that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
>> riding gear. For what? This has to stop.
>>

> I've yet to see anyone who looks good in cycling shorts. Well, there's
> this one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's
> the very rare exception.

Rare indeed. I assume the shorts are waterproof :)

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
June 2nd 05, 02:41 AM
"psycholist" > wrote in message ...
>> I've yet to see anyone who looks good in cycling shorts. Well, there's this
> one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's the
> very rare exception.

Time for you to move out of Hicksville.

Maggie
June 2nd 05, 10:56 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> "psycholist" > wrote in message ...
> >> I've yet to see anyone who looks good in cycling shorts. Well, there's this
> > one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's the
> > very rare exception.
>
> Time for you to move out of Hicksville.

Out here in Joisey, people who wear lycra spandex (especially men) are
looked at in a strange way......but we won't get into that again.

Seeing fat people in lycra is never a pretty sight. A nice looking,
fit guy in lycra is ok by me. I go to the ballet just to see guys in
tights. ;-) Abd I am sure men love to see sexy young things in lycra.
Or anything skimpy. Reger back to Claire's pic.

Maggie

jj
June 2nd 05, 01:38 PM
On 2 Jun 2005 02:56:16 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

>Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>> > one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's the
>> > very rare exception.
>>
>> Time for you to move out of Hicksville.
>

>Out here in Joisey, people who wear lycra spandex (especially men) are
>looked at in a strange way......but we won't get into that again.

Didn't you say that there aren't any/many 'people who wear lycra and
spandex' in Joisey where you are. So I have to ask, how do you -know-
they're looked at in a 'strange way'? Have you really asked the men in
Joisey if they think 'homoerotic thoughts' or feel 'gay panic' when they
see a male cyclist in lycra-spandex, LOL?

Why not be more truthful.

There are people like to put down other people - and they don't have the
courage to say why, or even to examine their beliefs. They ascribe the
thoughts to the culture around them and thus avoid any personal
consequences or self-examination.

Maybe such people chicken out and offer veiled threats and blame other
'Joisey-ites' to cover up their own prejudice - they can't be as overtly
prejudicial as they'd like, perhaps, because of their image, say as a '60s
hippie' - typically an unconventional person who accepts all different
kinds of people, faiths, creeds and cultures.

The truth may be that those people get a payoff of some kind out of putting
other people down. The sorry part of that is often this is projection.

But such a person is really only hurting themself.

If one has a majority of negative, judgemental, or defeatist thoughts in
their internal dialogue, these are going to work against one's attempts to
use healthful activities like 'riding your bike' to obtain joy and
enlightenment. (negative thoughts suppress the immune system, for instance)

This, I think, is what Roger was trying to say the other day.

Maybe this offers some visibility, maybe it doesn't. An unexamined life and
all that...

>Seeing fat people in lycra is never a pretty sight. A nice looking,
>fit guy in lycra is ok by me.

Hah, pretty clever. Easy to say that, but when with friends initiate
pointing them out and starting the ridicule! More important to maintain the
snobbery than to support a group of people one now knows to be pretty nice
and who are trying to better their health and for whom the lycra and
spandex wearing is totally related to the athletic use. Why not explain to
those friends what the lycra really means and how there's really no reason
to either ridicule its use or to feel threatened by those wearing it?

>I go to the ballet just to see guys in tights. ;-)

Now that's creepy. Have you ever actually been to a balletic opera, or are
you talking about going down to the ballet school and peering in the
windows? So you don't think that guys who dance in tights are gay?

>Abd I am sure men love to see sexy young things in lycra.
>Or anything skimpy. Reger back to Claire's pic.

Ah, clever. So men are all about oogling, huh? Men are earthy and so it's
ok for you to be because you have all these other sterling qualities that
they lack? <g>

jj

>Maggie

Maggie
June 2nd 05, 01:48 PM
jj wrote:
> [...]
> and who are trying to better their health and for whom the lycra and
> spandex wearing is totally related to the athletic use. Why not explain to
> those friends what the lycra really means and how there's really no reason
> to either ridicule its use or to feel threatened by those wearing it?
>
> >I go to the ballet just to see guys in tights. ;-)
>
> Now that's creepy. Have you ever actually been to a balletic opera, or are
> you talking about going down to the ballet school and peering in the
> windows? So you don't think that guys who dance in tights are gay?
>
> >Abd I am sure men love to see sexy young things in lycra.
> >Or anything skimpy. Reger back to Claire's pic.
>
> Ah, clever. So men are all about oogling, huh? Men are earthy and so it's
> ok for you to be because you have all these other sterling qualities that

Could you do me a big favor and kilfile me?

Maggie

jj
June 2nd 05, 02:16 PM
On 2 Jun 2005 05:48:44 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

> [...]
>> those friends what the lycra really means and how there's really no reason
>> to either ridicule its use or to feel threatened by those wearing it?
>>
>> >I go to the ballet just to see guys in tights. ;-)
>>
>> Now that's creepy. Have you ever actually been to a balletic opera, or are
>> you talking about going down to the ballet school and peering in the
>> windows? So you don't think that guys who dance in tights are gay?
>>
>> >Abd I am sure men love to see sexy young things in lycra.
>> >Or anything skimpy. Reger back to Claire's pic.
>>
>> Ah, clever. So men are all about oogling, huh? Men are earthy and so it's
>> ok for you to be because you have all these other sterling qualities that
>> they lack? <g>
>>
>> jj
>>
>> >Maggie
>

>Could you do me a big favor and kilfile me?

How about every time you make untrue and unwarrented negative comments
about cyclists and their outfits I call you on it? ;-)

jj

Frank Drackman
June 2nd 05, 03:24 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>> > one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's
>> > the
>> > very rare exception.
>>
>> Time for you to move out of Hicksville.
>

> Out here in Joisey, people who wear lycra spandex (especially men) are
> looked at in a strange way......but we won't get into that again.

<SNIP>
You have no idea what people in New Jersey think. You are projecting your
own narrow minded thoughts onto society in general.

Maggie
June 2nd 05, 03:28 PM
Frank Drackman wrote:
> You have no idea what people in New Jersey think. You are projecting your
> own narrow minded thoughts onto society in general.

OK. Thank you for that insight. I will work on it. xx ;-)

Air kisses,
Maggie

jj
June 2nd 05, 03:45 PM
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:24:23 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
> wrote:

>"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>>>
>>> Time for you to move out of Hicksville.
>>

>> Out here in Joisey, people who wear lycra spandex (especially men) are
>> looked at in a strange way......but we won't get into that again.
>>

><SNIP>
>You have no idea what people in New Jersey think. You are projecting your
>own narrow minded thoughts onto society in general.

Certain posters seem to have only a couple thoughts, so you have to give
them a break if they seem 'narrow minded'. They are actually able to look
through a keyhole with both eyes, if you want to know. That might be a
feature, not a bug, lol.

Pat
June 2nd 05, 07:18 PM
: >Could you do me a big favor and kilfile me?
: >
: >Maggie
:
: How about every time you make untrue and unwarrented negative comments
: about cyclists and their outfits I call you on it? ;-)
:
: jj

Here's my take on it:
"I live in Jersey. I think people in lycra are funny looking. Therefore,
everyone in Jersey thinks this way. Thus, my thinking is normative for
Jersey."

It's parochialism masquerading as the "normal way of thinking".

Pat in TX

Maggie
June 2nd 05, 07:24 PM
Pat wrote:
> : >Could you do me a big favor and kilfile me?
> : >
> : >Maggie
> :
> : How about every time you make untrue and unwarrented negative comments
> : about cyclists and their outfits I call you on it? ;-)
> :
> : jj
>
> Here's my take on it:
> "I live in Jersey. I think people in lycra are funny looking. Therefore,
> everyone in Jersey thinks this way. Thus, my thinking is normative for
> Jersey."
>
> It's parochialism masquerading as the "normal way of thinking".
>
> Pat in TX

I was wondering when Pat in TX would appear. You never let me down
girlfriend. ;-)

Maggie.

pam_in_sc
June 2nd 05, 10:10 PM
wrote:
> Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
> fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts? Do they think other people want to see
> that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
> riding gear. For what? This has to stop.

As a formerly large person, I would suggest that tight fitting clothing
helps prevent chafing. Comfort is much more important than how it looks
to other people. It is also really annoying having to replace expensive
clothing with the same thing in a smaller size.

Pam

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:10:18 -0400, pam_in_sc >
wrote:

>It is also really annoying having to replace expensive
>clothing with the same thing in a smaller size.

I can say with some confidence that it is likely to be much less
annoying than replacing it with the same thing in a *larger* size :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Tom Keats
June 3rd 05, 12:59 AM
In article . com>,
writes:

> Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
> fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts?

Maybe they have trouble finding stuff that actually fits --
stuff actually made for their size?

Large people have as much right to wear sweat-wicking jerseys
and shorts with a chamois in 'em, as anyone else.

> Do they think other people want to see
> that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
> riding gear. For what? This has to stop.

I think it's kewl to see people riding their bikes at all.
Even if they're wearing grotesque Hawaiian shirts, Burmuda
shorts, and Jesus boots & hockey socks. Even if they're
wearing powder blue leisure suits, or togas, or sarongs.

I certainly wouldn't want any "very large overweight riders"
to read this thread and suddenly feel too embarrassed or
self-conscious to ride, in whatever garb is comfortable for
them. I'd rather encourage 'em, 'cuz they're doin' good.

cheers,
Tom (5'11", 148 lbs, in case anyone's wondering)

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

June 3rd 05, 03:11 AM
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:41:12 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>"psycholist" > wrote in message ...
>>> I've yet to see anyone who looks good in cycling shorts. Well, there's this
>> one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's the
>> very rare exception.
>
>Time for you to move out of Hicksville.

I agree... I see plenty of people who look good in shorts. Some of
those guys...oooh mama! However, there are few who can get away with a
skinsuit.

June 3rd 05, 03:14 AM
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:59:54 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article . com>,
> writes:
>
>> Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
>> fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts?
>
>Maybe they have trouble finding stuff that actually fits --
>stuff actually made for their size?
>
>Large people have as much right to wear sweat-wicking jerseys
>and shorts with a chamois in 'em, as anyone else.
>
>> Do they think other people want to see
>> that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
>> riding gear. For what? This has to stop.
>
>I think it's kewl to see people riding their bikes at all.
>Even if they're wearing grotesque Hawaiian shirts, Burmuda
>shorts, and Jesus boots & hockey socks. Even if they're
>wearing powder blue leisure suits, or togas, or sarongs.
>
>I certainly wouldn't want any "very large overweight riders"
>to read this thread and suddenly feel too embarrassed or
>self-conscious to ride, in whatever garb is comfortable for
>them. I'd rather encourage 'em, 'cuz they're doin' good.
>

>cheers,
> Tom (5'11", 148 lbs, in case anyone's wondering)

It's unfair, even if we may find it aesthetically imperfect. It's like
saying only skinny people should go to the gym, or wear swimsuits.
Let's face it, you're at the beach and want go go swimming, what are
you supposed to wear? And if heavy people are riding their bikes, all
to the good- at least they don't want to be another one of those
casualties of bad health!

Tom Keats
June 3rd 05, 03:40 AM
In article >,
writes:

> It's unfair, even if we may find it aesthetically imperfect. It's like
> saying only skinny people should go to the gym, or wear swimsuits.
> Let's face it, you're at the beach and want go go swimming, what are
> you supposed to wear?

The one-button suit is most convenient.

> And if heavy people are riding their bikes, all
> to the good- at least they don't want to be another one of those
> casualties of bad health!

[yer] durn tootin'! And I don't even want anyone to
feel they should be deprived of the joys of cycling,
just because of their physicality or any other arbitrary
razmatazz. If they wanna ride, let 'em ride, I sez.
I sure ain't gonna bug 'em. I'll cheer 'em on.

cheers, & Jethro Tull: Stand Up: Fat Man (great tune, BTW)
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

June 3rd 05, 04:15 AM
Tom Keats wrote:

> [yer] durn tootin'! And I don't even want anyone to
> feel they should be deprived of the joys of cycling,
> just because of their physicality or any other arbitrary
> razmatazz. If they wanna ride, let 'em ride, I sez.
> I sure ain't gonna bug 'em. I'll cheer 'em on.

I agree. IMO, _everyone_ on a bike looks good.

- Frank Krygowski

Zoot Katz
June 3rd 05, 07:20 AM
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:11:16 -0400,
wrote:

>>> one female triathlete I see out raining every now and then, but she's the
>>> very rare exception.
>>
>>Time for you to move out of Hicksville.
>

>I agree... I see plenty of people who look good in shorts. Some of
>those guys...oooh mama! However, there are few who can get away with a
>skinsuit.

No kiddin'. They're always saying how beautiful the women are in
Montreal and it's true. What they always forget to tell ya is the guys
are a whole lot better looking than you too.
--
zk

Zoot Katz
June 3rd 05, 07:20 AM
2 Jun 2005 21:02:17 -0700,
. com>, "Bob"

wrote:

>> I agree... I see plenty of people who look good in shorts. Some of
>> those guys...oooh mama! However, there are few who can get away with a
>> skinsuit.
>
>C'est moi, c'est moi!
>I blush to disclose.
>I'm far too noble to lie.
>
>Having said that I'm sure there will be some that want to make
>unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions about me because:
>A- I know some of the lyrics from some Broadway musicals and
>B- am comfortable wearing spandex
>are free to do so. I couldn't care less. <g>

Certain tunes from "West Side Story" may be acceptable. OTOH, "Cats"
will out you in an instant.

Sure, you might look great in a skinsuit but, can you sing?
--
zk

Bob
June 3rd 05, 07:45 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:10:18 -0400, pam_in_sc >
> wrote:
>
> >It is also really annoying having to replace expensive
> >clothing with the same thing in a smaller size.
>
> I can say with some confidence that it is likely to be much less
> annoying than replacing it with the same thing in a *larger* size :-)
>
> Guy

That depends on whose clothing is being replaced and how expensive it
is. If my lovely and adorable wife decides she needs to replace a $700
size 6 jacket I bought for her with an identical jacket in size 4 I am
*not* going to be any less annoyed. I might even tell her to gain some
weight. If OTOH, I wake up tomorrow and discover all my pants are an
inch too short I'd bite the bullet and buy a few pairs of jeans with
31" inseams. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Craig Brossman
June 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
Maggie wrote:

> Out here in Joisey, people who wear lycra spandex (especially men) are
> looked at in a strange way......but we won't get into that again.
>
> Seeing fat people in lycra is never a pretty sight. A nice looking,
> fit guy in lycra is ok by me. I go to the ballet just to see guys in
> tights. ;-) Abd I am sure men love to see sexy young things in lycra.
> Or anything skimpy. Reger back to Claire's pic.
>
> Maggie

How can you tell someone is not from Durango?
They look at you strangely as you walk into the Bean in your lycra, bike
jersey, and bike shoes. Everyone else asks you how your ride was and
what you did.

Living in rural, eastern Pa for way to long, I would agree in general
that lycra riding shorts are not all that often seen, certainly less
often than a fat-ass holding a sub sandwich.

Here in Durango, it is the out-of-shape, suit wearing, business man who
gets the strange looks, and I like it that way.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
Edward R. Murrow

Bob
June 4th 05, 04:55 AM
Zoot Katz wrote:
> 2 Jun 2005 21:02:17 -0700,
> . com>, "Bob"
> > wrote:
>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree... I see plenty of people who look good in shorts. Some of
> >> those guys...oooh mama! However, there are few who can get away with a
> >> skinsuit.
> >
> >C'est moi, c'est moi!
> >I blush to disclose.
> >I'm far too noble to lie.
> >
> >Having said that I'm sure there will be some that want to make
> >unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions about me because:
> >A- I know some of the lyrics from some Broadway musicals and
> >B- am comfortable wearing spandex
> >are free to do so. I couldn't care less. <g>
>
> Certain tunes from "West Side Story" may be acceptable. OTOH, "Cats"
> will out you in an instant.
>
> Sure, you might look great in a skinsuit but, can you sing?
> --
> zk

No, but I can sprint.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 4th 05, 08:57 AM
I submit that on or about 2 Jun 2005 21:02:17 -0700, the person known
to the court as "Bob" > made a statement
. com> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>I'm sure there will be some that want to make
>unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions about me because:
>A- I know some of the lyrics from some Broadway musicals and
>B- am comfortable wearing spandex

$DEITY knows what they make of me, riding along on a recumbent and
singing selections from the Messiah or Don Giovanni!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

wafflycat
June 4th 05, 10:59 AM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Out here in Joisey, people who wear lycra spandex (especially men) are
> looked at in a strange way......but we won't get into that again.

if I recall correctly Maggie, you brought this up in the recent past and
then went on to realise that there's those football players who wear it all
the time, so it wasn't so strange after all ;-)

> Seeing fat people in lycra is never a pretty sight. A nice looking,
> fit guy in lycra is ok by me. I go to the ballet just to see guys in
> tights. ;-) Abd I am sure men love to see sexy young things in lycra.
> Or anything skimpy. Reger back to Claire's pic.

A lot of those football players in Lycra aren't exactly slim ;-)

Cheers, helen s

> Maggie

wafflycat
June 4th 05, 11:00 AM
> wrote in message

> I agree... I see plenty of people who look good in shorts. Some of
> those guys...oooh mama! However, there are few who can get away with a
> skinsuit.

The sight of a well-honed male rear-end in close fitting Lycra can truly be
one of the seven wonders of the world ;-)

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat
June 4th 05, 11:05 AM
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:59:54 -0700, (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
>>In article . com>,
>> writes:
>>
>>> Why to very large overwieght riders find it mandatory to wear tight
>>> fitting bicylcle shirts/shorts?
>>
>>Maybe they have trouble finding stuff that actually fits --
>>stuff actually made for their size?
>>
>>Large people have as much right to wear sweat-wicking jerseys
>>and shorts with a chamois in 'em, as anyone else.
>>
>>> Do they think other people want to see
>>> that? I see more 250lbs+ riders trying to cram into way too small of
>>> riding gear. For what? This has to stop.
>>
>>I think it's kewl to see people riding their bikes at all.
>>Even if they're wearing grotesque Hawaiian shirts, Burmuda
>>shorts, and Jesus boots & hockey socks. Even if they're
>>wearing powder blue leisure suits, or togas, or sarongs.
>>
>>I certainly wouldn't want any "very large overweight riders"
>>to read this thread and suddenly feel too embarrassed or
>>self-conscious to ride, in whatever garb is comfortable for
>>them. I'd rather encourage 'em, 'cuz they're doin' good.
>>

>>cheers,
>> Tom (5'11", 148 lbs, in case anyone's wondering)
>
> It's unfair, even if we may find it aesthetically imperfect. It's like
> saying only skinny people should go to the gym, or wear swimsuits.
> Let's face it, you're at the beach and want go go swimming, what are
> you supposed to wear? And if heavy people are riding their bikes, all
> to the good- at least they don't want to be another one of those
> casualties of bad health!

wafflycat
June 4th 05, 11:14 AM
"pam_in_sc" > wrote in message

> As a formerly large person, I would suggest that tight fitting clothing
> helps prevent chafing. Comfort is much more important than how it looks
> to other people. It is also really annoying having to replace expensive
> clothing with the same thing in a smaller size.
>
> Pam

I too am a formerly very large person :-) Even when verging on the morbidly
obese I cycled regularly and I've always worn Lycra cycling shorts with a
pair of RonHill Bikesters over the top. Why? Well I didn't wear them as a
fashion - they were and are clothes that made cycling easier - as you said,
they help prevent chafing. If someone didn't like the sight of me on a
bike - tough titties to them :-) At least I was a supple, flexible, fairly
fit obese person. Which annoyed the hell out of my doc, who was almost irate
at my blood test results which showed that even though I was verging on the
morbidly obese, my blood pressure was *excellent* as was my blood sugar
levels, cholesterol levels etc., etc. He was visibly distressed at the
results as it confounded his opinion that as an obese woman I was in
*imminent* danger of stroke, heart attack, diabetes, and I was *obviously*
depressed as he is of the opinion that all women who are overweight are
depressed. I almost asked him whether this meant that he too was depressed,
as he has a distinct 'middle' to him ;-)

I've lost weight for vanity alone. I love clothes and I've got more choice
available to me now I'm a 'normal' size. I've had loads of people *tell me*
that I must obviously be feeling soooo much better now that I'm slimmer.
They cannot handle the response when I tell them that no, I'm still the same
person and that the only change I've noticed is that yes, it is easier to
cycle up hills these days. But other than that, I'm exactly the same person
I was before :-)

Cheers, helen s

pam_in_sc
June 4th 05, 11:56 AM
wafflycat wrote:
> I too am a formerly very large person :-) Even when verging on the
> morbidly obese I cycled regularly and I've always worn Lycra cycling
> shorts with a pair of RonHill Bikesters over the top. Why? Well I didn't
> wear them as a fashion - they were and are clothes that made cycling
> easier - as you said, they help prevent chafing. If someone didn't like
> the sight of me on a bike - tough titties to them :-) At least I was a
> supple, flexible, fairly fit obese person. Which annoyed the hell out of
> my doc, who was almost irate at my blood test results which showed that
> even though I was verging on the morbidly obese, my blood pressure was
> *excellent* as was my blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels etc., etc.
> He was visibly distressed at the results as it confounded his opinion
> that as an obese woman I was in *imminent* danger of stroke, heart
> attack, diabetes, and I was *obviously* depressed as he is of the
> opinion that all women who are overweight are depressed. I almost asked
> him whether this meant that he too was depressed, as he has a distinct
> 'middle' to him ;-)
>
> I've lost weight for vanity alone. I love clothes and I've got more
> choice available to me now I'm a 'normal' size. I've had loads of people
> *tell me* that I must obviously be feeling soooo much better now that
> I'm slimmer. They cannot handle the response when I tell them that no,
> I'm still the same person and that the only change I've noticed is that
> yes, it is easier to cycle up hills these days. But other than that, I'm
> exactly the same person I was before :-)
>
> Cheers, helen s

Beautiful! The prejudice of doctors against fat people is really nasty.
I've told several people to insist on getting their blood sugar tested
because doctors think only fat people get diabetes so thin people
usually aren't diagnosed until they have nasty complications.

I got diagnosed with diabetes and focused on controlling my blood sugar,
and then I wasn't hungry all the time and lost weight without trying
(I'm down to the top of the normal range). It hasn't made my diabetes
any easier to control. I would like to lose still a little more,
because I am doing triathlons and it would not only make me a faster
runner but also reduce the change of injuring my knee, which has given
me trouble before.

Pam

Tom Keats
June 4th 05, 09:32 PM
In article . com>,
"Bob" > writes:

> Having said that I'm sure there will be some that want to make
> unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions about me because:
> A- I know some of the lyrics from some Broadway musicals and

Don't feel too bad. I edetically recall the lyrics to
a bunch of torch songs. And I don't even particularly
like torch songs. It's kind of a bummer when you're
riding along, wanting to burst forth a gusto rendition
of some lively Willie Dixon tune, and all that comes out
is "Polka Dots and Moonbeams", or "All of Me".

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Bob
June 5th 05, 12:47 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Bob" > writes:
>
> > Having said that I'm sure there will be some that want to make
> > unwarranted and inaccurate assumptions about me because:
> > A- I know some of the lyrics from some Broadway musicals and
>
> Don't feel too bad. I edetically recall the lyrics to
> a bunch of torch songs. And I don't even particularly
> like torch songs. It's kind of a bummer when you're
> riding along, wanting to burst forth a gusto rendition
> of some lively Willie Dixon tune, and all that comes out
> is "Polka Dots and Moonbeams", or "All of Me".
>

> cheers,
> Tom

As I said, I don't really care what others may think of me so I don't
feel badly at all but thanks. I whistle occasionally but seldom sing
while riding. When I do it's invariably Queen's "Bicycle Song" simply
because it is so apropos.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Tom Keats
June 5th 05, 01:03 AM
In article . com>,
"Bob" > writes:

> As I said, I don't really care what others may think of me so I don't

That's symptomatic in many recumbent riders ;-)

> feel badly at all but thanks. I whistle occasionally but seldom sing
> while riding. When I do it's invariably Queen's "Bicycle Song" simply
> because it is so apropos.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Bob
June 5th 05, 04:03 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Bob" > writes:
>
> > As I said, I don't really care what others may think of me so I don't
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That's symptomatic in many recumbent riders ;-)
>
> > feel badly at all but thanks. I whistle occasionally but seldom sing
> > while riding. When I do it's invariably Queen's "Bicycle Song" simply
> > because it is so apropos.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Recumbent? Me? Hardly. I think most 'bent riders are strange, not that
they care what I think. <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Patrick Lamb
June 5th 05, 04:05 AM
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:14:45 +0100, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>I too am a formerly very large person :-) Even when verging on the morbidly
>obese I cycled regularly and I've always worn Lycra cycling shorts with a
>pair of RonHill Bikesters over the top. Why? Well I didn't wear them as a
>fashion - they were and are clothes that made cycling easier - as you said,
>they help prevent chafing. If someone didn't like the sight of me on a
>bike - tough titties to them :-) At least I was a supple, flexible, fairly
>fit obese person. Which annoyed the hell out of my doc, who was almost irate
>at my blood test results which showed that even though I was verging on the
>morbidly obese, my blood pressure was *excellent* as was my blood sugar
>levels, cholesterol levels etc., etc. He was visibly distressed at the
>results as it confounded his opinion that as an obese woman I was in
>*imminent* danger of stroke, heart attack, diabetes, and I was *obviously*
>depressed as he is of the opinion that all women who are overweight are
>depressed. I almost asked him whether this meant that he too was depressed,
>as he has a distinct 'middle' to him ;-)

Find a heavier doctor. They seem to be more understanding.

(Although my wife would have put me on insulin, statins, and who know
what else because of my weight. Fortunately, she's not a doctor. But
I did have to get my blood test results and show them to her to shut
her up.)

Pat

Email address works as is.

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 5th 05, 01:44 PM
I submit that on or about 4 Jun 2005 20:03:07 -0700, the person known
to the court as "Bob" > made a statement
. com> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>Recumbent? Me? Hardly. I think most 'bent riders are strange, not that
>they care what I think. <g>

Well, Bob, maybe you just need to get in touch with your Dark Side. I
recommend a visit to your local Sith temple to try some out, pronto!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Claire Petersky
June 5th 05, 04:10 PM
Bob wrote in message
. com>...

> I whistle occasionally but seldom sing
>while riding.

Man, I sing all the time when I ride. But then again, I'm someone that has
background music playing all the time in the back of my head, if I pay
attention to it, so it isn't that surprising that it leaks out occasionally.

It's not such a big thing if I'm riding along by myself on an empty trail,
but it begins to feel conspicious if I am singing while riding on crowded
downtown streets.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Tom Keats
June 5th 05, 07:56 PM
In article >,
"Claire Petersky" > writes:
> Bob wrote in message
> . com>...
>
>> I whistle occasionally but seldom sing
>>while riding.
>
> Man, I sing all the time when I ride. But then again, I'm someone that has
> background music playing all the time in the back of my head, if I pay
> attention to it, so it isn't that surprising that it leaks out occasionally.
>
> It's not such a big thing if I'm riding along by myself on an empty trail,
> but it begins to feel conspicious if I am singing while riding on crowded
> downtown streets.

With all the rhythmic inputs generated by riding, it's
hardly surprising one would experience the occasional
urge to belt out a number.

Cycling and song seem to go hand-in-glove. One notable
example of this is among the Critical Mass folx, where
their tunes are quite upbeat and joyous, which rather
puts the lie to the dour, negative-energy "protestor"
image so many people have of them. I'd like to render
Neil Young's "Downtown" into a Critical Mass anthem
for 'em.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
June 6th 05, 04:58 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message > recommend a visit to your local Sith temple to try some out, pronto!

You're going to have to take this over to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 6th 05, 11:06 AM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 03:58:54 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>You're going to have to take this over to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

By "this" you mean Bob, right?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Dane Jackson
June 6th 05, 06:06 PM
Claire Petersky > wrote:
> Bob wrote in message
> . com>...
>
>> I whistle occasionally but seldom sing while riding.
>
> Man, I sing all the time when I ride. But then again, I'm someone that has
> background music playing all the time in the back of my head, if I pay
> attention to it, so it isn't that surprising that it leaks out occasionally.

I need to learn more verses to "What do you do with a drunken sailor",
as that seems to be what I end up singing a lot going to and fro work.
Though quite a bit of Leonard Cohen seems to be sneaking in lately. I
really should learn the full lyrics to "First we take Manhattan" if I'm
going to be singing it all the time.

Of course, near the end of the one day STP ride I was singing "I wanna
be sedated".

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
/earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.

Claire Petersky
June 6th 05, 11:55 PM
Dane Jackson wrote in message ...

>Of course, near the end of the one day STP ride I was singing "I wanna
>be sedated".

I think I was singing that Devo track, "working in a coal mine", especially
the verse, "I am so tired/How long can this go on?"

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
June 7th 05, 03:57 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message >
> By "this" you mean Bob, right?

Anyone who wants to talk about those things must go over that
that NG.

This is an cycling newsgroup, lets keep it that way.

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 7th 05, 09:01 AM
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:57:37 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> wrote:

>Anyone who wants to talk about those things must go over that
>that NG.
>This is an cycling newsgroup, lets keep it that way.

But Fabs, if you're going to get all specific then you should not be
posting outside of rec.bicycles.huffy.fred.racer.wannabe!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 12:51 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:57:37 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> > wrote:
>

>>Anyone who wants to talk about those things must go over that
>>that NG.
>>This is an cycling newsgroup, lets keep it that way.
>

> But Fabs, if you're going to get all specific then you should not be
> posting outside of rec.bicycles.huffy.fred.racer.wannabe!
>
> Guy

At least not until he actually wins a race. Winners count, second place
is just part of the clutter. And this group is .misc just in case that
doesn't translate to "Italians who don't win races."
Bill (tourist, rider, not racer wannabee) Baka

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
June 8th 05, 12:56 AM
"Bill Baka" > wrote in message ...
> Bill (tourist, rider, not racer wannabee) Baka

Looks like we don't need or want you here, good bye.

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 02:03 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> "Bill Baka" > wrote in message ...
>
>>Bill (tourist, rider, not racer wannabee) Baka
>

> Looks like we don't need or want you here, good bye.

Like I am going to listen to a "Fabs" runner up.
This is not a racing group, even though some think it is.
Go practice riding and not typing and you might grow up to win a race
some day.
Bill Baka

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
June 8th 05, 02:34 AM
"Bill Baka" > wrote in message ...

>> Like I am going to listen to a "Fabs" runner up.

Can't believe you're still upset that I let Alessandro Petacchi out sprint
me at Milano-San Remo this year. But he has guys like Sacchi and
Matteo Tosatto on team Fassa Bortolo to lead him out, big advantage
over my team's lead out crew.

Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other races
to fight.

Zoot Katz
June 8th 05, 03:51 AM
Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:34:56 GMT, <4Xrpe.1595176$6l.422806@pd7tw2no>,
Euro Prince and Human, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote:

>Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other races
>to fight.

Fab, you never quit trying and it's for that your fans cheer for you.
Just ask yourself, where's Bill's fans?
--
zk

Mike Latondresse
June 8th 05, 04:41 AM
Zoot Katz > wrote in
:

> Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:34:56 GMT, <4Xrpe.1595176$6l.422806@pd7tw2no>,
> Euro Prince and Human, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" >
> wrote:
>

>>Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other
>>races to fight.
>
> Fab, you never quit trying and it's for that your fans cheer for
> you. Just ask yourself, where's Bill's fans?

Bill has fans?

Jeff Starr
June 8th 05, 04:56 AM
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:51:51 -0700, Zoot Katz >
wrote:

>Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:34:56 GMT, <4Xrpe.1595176$6l.422806@pd7tw2no>,
>Euro Prince and Human, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote:
>

>>Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other races
>>to fight.
>
>Fab, you never quit trying and it's for that your fans cheer for you.
>Just ask yourself, where's Bill's fans?

I know the answer to that one. Bill doesn't have any fans.

Just call me, another fan of the Fabs;-)

Jeff

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 10:37 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> "Bill Baka" > wrote in message ...
>

>>>Like I am going to listen to a "Fabs" runner up.
>

> Can't believe you're still upset that I let Alessandro Petacchi out sprint
> me at Milano-San Remo this year. But he has guys like Sacchi and
> Matteo Tosatto on team Fassa Bortolo to lead him out, big advantage
> over my team's lead out crew.
>
> Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other races
> to fight.

I will lighten up when you beat Lance Armstrong in a 1 on 1 time trial.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 10:40 AM
Zoot Katz wrote:
> Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:34:56 GMT, <4Xrpe.1595176$6l.422806@pd7tw2no>,
> Euro Prince and Human, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote:
>

>>Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other races
>>to fight.
>

> Fab, you never quit trying and it's for that your fans cheer for you.
> Just ask yourself, where's Bill's fans?

Bill doesn't need fans, unless the adoring kids and the stray deer
count. Remember I am a grandpa, not a competitor, although with enough
training I might be a competitor. Other things in life like wife, work,
3 grandkids, etc. take time out of my biking schedule. The large amounts
of food that I eat on the longer trips I do hear about due to cleaning
out the refigerator.
Sorry, not this year.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 10:41 AM
Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:51:51 -0700, Zoot Katz >
> wrote:
>

>>Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:34:56 GMT, <4Xrpe.1595176$6l.422806@pd7tw2no>,
>>Euro Prince and Human, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" > wrote:
>>

>>>Bill, it's June now, let my lose at San Remo go, there are other races
>>>to fight.
>>
>>Fab, you never quit trying and it's for that your fans cheer for you.
>>Just ask yourself, where's Bill's fans?
>

> I know the answer to that one. Bill doesn't have any fans.
>
> Just call me, another fan of the Fabs;-)
>
> Jeff

I do have fans but I ride for me, not for a crowd of onlookers.
Bill Baka

Fabrizio Mazzoleni
June 9th 05, 12:41 AM
"Bill Baka" > wrote in message ...
> I will lighten up when you beat Lance Armstrong in a 1 on 1 time trial.

Why pick Lance's strong point?

It would be close anyway, look at last year's stage 19 time trial in the Tour.
It was 55km that started from Besancon.

I've studied the course profile and from what I see I would have done the
course in 1:06:49.35 as compared with Lance's 1:06:49.31.

Lance was 42.31at the 34.2km mark and at that point I would have been
42.23, so that shows that in a time trial of 35km I am faster than Lance.
It was only over the next part of the course that Lance would put time
on me.

I know from experience that on that day I would have climbed the Cote de Morre
that came 4.5 km from the start quicker than Lance.

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 03:53 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
> "Bill Baka" > wrote in message ...
>
>>I will lighten up when you beat Lance Armstrong in a 1 on 1 time trial.
>

> Why pick Lance's strong point?
>
> It would be close anyway, look at last year's stage 19 time trial in the Tour.
> It was 55km that started from Besancon.
>
> I've studied the course profile and from what I see I would have done the
> course in 1:06:49.35 as compared with Lance's 1:06:49.31.
>
> Lance was 42.31at the 34.2km mark and at that point I would have been
> 42.23, so that shows that in a time trial of 35km I am faster than Lance.
> It was only over the next part of the course that Lance would put time
> on me.
>
> I know from experience that on that day I would have climbed the Cote de Morre
> that came 4.5 km from the start quicker than Lance.

If I believe what I read on this group you put your hands up in victory
and crashed. Is somebody bull****ting me?
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home