PDA

View Full Version : tool help?

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 04:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback in the "roadside tool kit" thread.
I felt my next questions were off-topic enough to warrant the new thread.

I'm putting together a toolkit to go in a seat-post pouch.

I have an Irwin/Chesco Hex-key set http://tinyurl.com/alzy6 that I figured
would be way overkill.
I tried the metric set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm) and it seems my bike has a
bolt with EVERY one of those sizes! :D

I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.

I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain cracker
around here somewhere...

___________________________

Seems I have some old tools here that I think I have NO use for anymore.
Something stamped "Park Tool - SPA6" that I think removed bottom bracket
cartridges? Another stamped "lock ring wrench" for my former bike's bottom
bracket as well.

I have a couple of little "nut-like" widgety tools for Shimano freewheel
service I think? ("Shimano TL FW30 Universal Freehub extractor")
http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TL2015 and something that has
two parts - a threaded shaft with a cup on the end and a threaded collar
that goes over it... forget what I used that for.

___________________________

My current bike has some kind of odd "toothed" bottom bracked insert. What's
with this new design? (I'll try to get photos if you need them) I think a
lot's changed in the 14 years since I last bought a bike.

What tools do I need to work on the rear hub? Don't know how to tell if it's
a cassette or otherwise.

Front derailleur is Deore, rear Sora, chain says Shimano Narrow IG - any of
that help?

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm still learning. :)

Chris

Buck
June 2nd 05, 04:11 PM
On 06/02/2005 16:05:57 "C.J.Patten" > wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who provided feedback in the "roadside tool kit"
> thread. I felt my next questions were off-topic enough to warrant the new
> thread.

> I'm putting together a toolkit to go in a seat-post pouch.

> I have an Irwin/Chesco Hex-key set http://tinyurl.com/alzy6 that I figured
> would be way overkill. I tried the metric set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm)
> and it seems my bike has a bolt with EVERY one of those sizes! :D

> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.

> I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain
> cracker around here somewhere...

> ___________________________

> Seems I have some old tools here that I think I have NO use for anymore.
> Something stamped "Park Tool - SPA6" that I think removed bottom bracket
> cartridges? Another stamped "lock ring wrench" for my former bike's
> bottom bracket as well.

> I have a couple of little "nut-like" widgety tools for Shimano freewheel
> service I think? ("Shimano TL FW30 Universal Freehub extractor")
> http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID0&SKU=TL2015 and something that has
> two parts - a threaded shaft with a cup on the end and a threaded collar
> that goes over it... forget what I used that for.

> ___________________________

> My current bike has some kind of odd "toothed" bottom bracked insert.
> What's with this new design? (I'll try to get photos if you need them) I
> think a lot's changed in the 14 years since I last bought a bike.

> What tools do I need to work on the rear hub? Don't know how to tell if
> it's a cassette or otherwise.

> Front derailleur is Deore, rear Sora, chain says Shimano Narrow IG - any
> of that help?

> Please forgive my ignorance - I'm still learning. :)

> Chris

I have a Newton multi tool with chain splitter, can do most things with it, I have everthing else to but then I sell recumbent trikes.
I would certainly recommend the Newton though.

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

www.catrike.co.uk

Bill Sornson
June 2nd 05, 05:13 PM
Ain't touching this one...

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 05:22 PM
"Bill Sornson" > wrote in message
> Ain't touching this one...

LOL! Something I said...?

Rich Clark
June 2nd 05, 07:51 PM
"C.J.Patten" > wrote in message
> Thanks to everyone who provided feedback in the "roadside tool kit"
> thread.
> I felt my next questions were off-topic enough to warrant the new thread.
>
> I'm putting together a toolkit to go in a seat-post pouch.
>
> I have an Irwin/Chesco Hex-key set http://tinyurl.com/alzy6 that I figured
> would be way overkill.
> I tried the metric set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm) and it seems my bike has
> a bolt with EVERY one of those sizes! :D
>
> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.

Are you sure it's not 15mm for the pedals? And do you *really* want to carry
a 15mm open end wrench long enough to be effective? And don't your pedals
also come off with an Allen wrench?

> I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain
> cracker around here somewhere...

IMO a chain tool is far more important than a pedal wrench. Make sure it
will remove modern pins without damaging the link. If you're using Shimano
chains, the pins shouldn't be re-used; carry spares.

Have you been to the Park Tools site?

RichC

Clive George
June 2nd 05, 07:57 PM
"C.J.Patten" > wrote in message
> I'm putting together a toolkit to go in a seat-post pouch.
> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.

I wouldn't bother with a pedal spanner - that stays at home/in the car. Get
a proper one though - nice and long, but thin.

> I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain
> cracker around here somewhere...

That's a definite.

I'll assume from this point onwards we're talking about home tools, rather
than stuff to carry with you.

> My current bike has some kind of odd "toothed" bottom bracked insert.
> What's with this new design?

It's great. Shimano sealed/cartridge bottom brackets use these. No more
faffing adjusting your BB shells. Also the splines are pretty strong.

> What tools do I need to work on the rear hub? Don't know how to tell if
> it's a cassette or otherwise.

What's the hub?

If it's a cassette, you need a splined thingy to undo the lock ring, and a
chain whip to hold it while you do so.

Bearings need cone spanners.

cheers,
clive

June 2nd 05, 08:05 PM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> I have an Irwin/Chesco Hex-key set http://tinyurl.com/alzy6 that I figured
> would be way overkill.
> I tried the metric set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm) and it seems my bike has a
> bolt with EVERY one of those sizes! :D
>
> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.
>
> I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain cracker
> around here somewhere...

Skip the pedal wrench. In the unlikely event that you break a pedal,
removing it is not going to help much :-) Incidentally, I have an
Ascent multi-tool which includes allen wrenches, 8,9,10 mm open
wrenches, Torx for disc rotors, spoke wrenches, and screwdrivers. It
was about $9 at Performance and works extremely well.

How about tire levers and a patch kit? A spoke wrench might be a good
idea if you're prone to breaking spokes.

Hand wipes are nice to have as well, it sucks to ride with hands
covered in grease (although it sounds like you're mountain biking and
may not care about mud that much).

Dan

June 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
C.J.Patten wrote:
> I have a couple of little "nut-like" widgety tools for Shimano freewheel
> service I think? ("Shimano TL FW30 Universal Freehub extractor")

Keep that one, it will work on new style cassette hubs (which you
almost certainly have).

> http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TL2015 and something that has
> two parts - a threaded shaft with a cup on the end and a threaded collar
> that goes over it... forget what I used that for.

That sounds like a cotterless crank extractor. You need it to remove
your cranks on any square tapered crank, and some others as well.
Definitely keep it, there's absolutely no way to remove most cranks
without it.

Dan

Joe Canuck
June 2nd 05, 08:57 PM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who provided feedback in the "roadside tool kit" thread.
> I felt my next questions were off-topic enough to warrant the new thread.
>
> I'm putting together a toolkit to go in a seat-post pouch.
>
> I have an Irwin/Chesco Hex-key set http://tinyurl.com/alzy6 that I figured
> would be way overkill.
> I tried the metric set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm) and it seems my bike has a
> bolt with EVERY one of those sizes! :D
>
> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.
>
> I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain cracker
> around here somewhere...
>
> ___________________________
>
> Seems I have some old tools here that I think I have NO use for anymore.
> Something stamped "Park Tool - SPA6" that I think removed bottom bracket
> cartridges? Another stamped "lock ring wrench" for my former bike's bottom
> bracket as well.
>
> I have a couple of little "nut-like" widgety tools for Shimano freewheel
> service I think? ("Shimano TL FW30 Universal Freehub extractor")
> http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TL2015 and something that has
> two parts - a threaded shaft with a cup on the end and a threaded collar
> that goes over it... forget what I used that for.
>
> ___________________________
>

> My current bike has some kind of odd "toothed" bottom bracked insert. What's
> with this new design? (I'll try to get photos if you need them) I think a
> lot's changed in the 14 years since I last bought a bike.
>
> What tools do I need to work on the rear hub? Don't know how to tell if it's
> a cassette or otherwise.
>
> Front derailleur is Deore, rear Sora, chain says Shimano Narrow IG - any of
> that help?
>
> Please forgive my ignorance - I'm still learning. :)
>
> Chris

If you are just running around town with your folder for recreation I'm
not entirely certain why you are concerned about having an array of
tools for just about everything on the bike in a seat post pouch.

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 09:41 PM
"Clive George" > wrote in message

> I wouldn't bother with a pedal spanner - that stays at home/in the car.
> Get a proper one though - nice and long, but thin.

Check! It IS a 15mm wrench for the pedals, not the 14mm I thought
originally.

> ...chain cracker..That's a definite.

Can't find my old one ... :(

> I'll assume from this point onwards we're talking about home tools, rather
> than stuff to carry with you.

Yes, I don't think I'd do any bottom bracket or hub service "on-road"...
maybe keep it in a hotel while I was travelling but not in the seat pouch.

>> My current bike has some kind of odd "toothed" bottom bracked insert.
>> What's with this new design?
>
> It's great. Shimano sealed/cartridge bottom brackets use these. No more
> faffing adjusting your BB shells. Also the splines are pretty strong.

8O

I had no idea! I figured it was another "step backward" like integrated
headsets. Who knew?

I guess these: http://www.parktool.com/tools/SPA_6.shtml and
http://tinyurl.com/a9sy8
....tools I own are obsolete for me now. (my parents can use them on their
bikes though)

....but I'll need one of these:
http://www.bikeparts.com/ProductInfo/Pedros-splined-cup-BB-socket-tool791.html
___________________________

Do I need the crank arm extractor anymore or do arms just pull off? (or
maybe I need a different tool anyway due to size differences...)

>> What tools do I need to work on the rear hub? Don't know how to tell if
>> it's a cassette or otherwise.
>
> What's the hub?

Errr... don't know! The specs for the bike say "Shimano HG-50 11-30 8speed"
(freewheel?)
It's a Sora rear Derailleur and IG50 "narrow" chain if that helps. (sorry to
be dense... you only have to tell me once though ;)

(2003 KHS Westwood folder... similar to their current Cappuccino and F20)

> If it's a cassette, you need a splined thingy to undo the lock ring, and
> a chain whip to hold it while you do so.

I still have this cool, portable chain whip. It has a short piece of chain
and a little rubberized clip that braces it against the chainstay.

> Bearings need cone spanners.

Gotcha. Just looked at the bike again - no markings I can see on the rear
hub itself. :\

I DID get a fleeting glimpse of what *appeared* to be some sort of "keyed"
metal plate on the outside of the freewheel which I gather could have be the
lock ring that needs the splined tool? (implying this is a cassette, not a

Found this page: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/bracket.htm useful.
(those splines on the sealed BB look like mine)

Thanks for your help!!!

Chris

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 09:44 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> I have a couple of little "nut-like" widgety tools for Shimano freewheel
>> service I think? ("Shimano TL FW30 Universal Freehub extractor")
>
> Keep that one, it will work on new style cassette hubs (which you
> almost certainly have).

COOL! Was hoping I could re-use a lot of stuff instead of having to shell
out for new tools.

> That sounds like a cotterless crank extractor. You need it to remove
> your cranks on any square tapered crank, and some others as well.
> Definitely keep it, there's absolutely no way to remove most cranks
> without it.

Double plus good! Thanks Dan!

Chris

C.J.Patten
June 2nd 05, 09:50 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message

> If you are just running around town with your folder for recreation I'm
> not entirely certain why you are concerned about having an array of tools
> for just about everything on the bike in a seat post pouch.

You're right that 90% of the time I won't need to worry about this stuff.

It's that other 10% - 6pm on a Sunday and the bike shops are closed - where
I like to have the tools I need at home and whatever I need to GET home with
me on the bike. "Cycle triage!"

After another jaunt on dirt paths today, I'm learning how well this bike
handles off-road. I'll definately be going farther afield soon and it would
suck to be 50km from a shop needing some specialized wrench for a quick
tweak that I could have put in the seat pouch.

Looks like I've got most of what I need though!

Joe: Have you done any riding over by Quyon? I'm in the East end but I hear
over by Luskville and Quyon it's gorgeous for biking...

C.

Joe Canuck
June 2nd 05, 11:35 PM
C.J.Patten wrote:

> Joe: Have you done any riding over by Quyon? I'm in the East end but I hear
> over by Luskville and Quyon it's gorgeous for biking...

Yes, I used to ride a lot on the Cycloparc path described at the
following link:

http://www.cycloparcppj.org/index1_a.htm

That path runs the length of the old railway line between Quyon and
Waltham. I haven't been on the path in at least 3 years now so my
information about it may be somewhat dated.

I have jumped on the path at the lower end start and rode up about 30
miles and done the basically the same thing starting at the Waltham end
except riding down. The path goes right through Shawville running right
in front of the hospital... makes for a nice stop if you want to pickup
refreshments or just mess around in Shawville for a while.

There are sections of the upper end of the path that are not well
maintained with the growth encroaching on the path from both sides of
the trail such that there was just enough room down the middle for the
bike. The upper section runs quite close along the Ottawa River.

There are "stops" at intervals along the way with a picnic table and
outhouse facilities. The path itself is fine gravel from end-to-end.

The last time I rode the path I encountered a bear. I have a healthy
respect for wild animals, particulary bears, due to previous unpleasant
encounters... so I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around.
Preparing for the next run up there I picked up a can of "Bear Spray" at
Trailhead, but then life events came into play and I never went back.

The path isn't challenging in terms of mountain biking, however it does
make for a pleasant day of riding regardless of which end you decide to
tackle it from.

C.J.Patten
June 3rd 05, 12:07 AM
NICE! THANKS! I'll add that to my list of rides to take!!!

Now I wonder if there are any biking groups around specifically for really
out of shape riders. ;)

C.

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> C.J.Patten wrote:
>
>> Joe: Have you done any riding over by Quyon? I'm in the East end but I
>> hear over by Luskville and Quyon it's gorgeous for biking...
>
> Yes, I used to ride a lot on the Cycloparc path described at the following
> link:
>
> http://www.cycloparcppj.org/index1_a.htm

John Thompson
June 4th 05, 04:05 AM
["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]
On 2005-06-02, Frank Drackman > wrote:

> "C.J.Patten" > wrote in message
><SNIP>
>> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
>> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.

> Are you sure that your pedals are 14MM? All of my pedals use allen wrench
> but I think that the old standard was 15mm.

Campy and Those Who Followed Campy used 15mm wrench flats on pedals. But
there were always exceptions. Eldi made a 15mm/16mm double ended pedal
wrench and Zeus made a 14mm/15mm double ended pedal wrench. And I don't
recall Allen fittings on pedals before the late 1970s.

--

John )

Bob Burns
June 6th 05, 01:08 PM
I carry a tiny adjustable wrench, a tiny pair of channel-locks, and a tiny
vise-grip.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

"C.J.Patten" > wrote in message
> Thanks to everyone who provided feedback in the "roadside tool kit"
> thread.
> I felt my next questions were off-topic enough to warrant the new thread.
>
> I'm putting together a toolkit to go in a seat-post pouch.
>
> I have an Irwin/Chesco Hex-key set http://tinyurl.com/alzy6 that I figured
> would be way overkill.
> I tried the metric set (2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm) and it seems my bike has
> a bolt with EVERY one of those sizes! :D
>
> I also seem to need a 14mm open end wrench for the pedals, 10mm wrench for
> the rear shock and a 9mm for the derailleur.
>
> I'm trying to decide if there's anything else I need. I have a chain
> cracker around here somewhere...
>
> ___________________________
>
> Seems I have some old tools here that I think I have NO use for anymore.
> Something stamped "Park Tool - SPA6" that I think removed bottom bracket
> cartridges? Another stamped "lock ring wrench" for my former bike's bottom
> bracket as well.
>
> I have a couple of little "nut-like" widgety tools for Shimano freewheel
> service I think? ("Shimano TL FW30 Universal Freehub extractor")
> http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=TL2015 and something that
> has two parts - a threaded shaft with a cup on the end and a threaded
> collar that goes over it... forget what I used that for.
>
> ___________________________
>

> My current bike has some kind of odd "toothed" bottom bracked insert.
> What's with this new design? (I'll try to get photos if you need them) I
> think a lot's changed in the 14 years since I last bought a bike.
>
> What tools do I need to work on the rear hub? Don't know how to tell if
> it's a cassette or otherwise.
>
> Front derailleur is Deore, rear Sora, chain says Shimano Narrow IG - any
> of that help?
>
> Please forgive my ignorance - I'm still learning. :)
>
> Chris

David Martin
June 6th 05, 01:27 PM
Bob Burns wrote:
> I carry a tiny adjustable wrench, a tiny pair of channel-locks, and a tiny
> vise-grip.

A small trowel, a hatchet and a geology hammer will do me.
I can build a kiln, make charcoal and then smelt sufficient tin and
copper from ore to allow bronze brazing of the frame should it break..

ANything ewlse is just namby pamby southern wussies who would make a
big girls blouse seem hard..

...d

Maggie
June 6th 05, 01:33 PM
Bob Burns wrote:
> I carry a tiny adjustable wrench, a tiny pair of channel-locks, and a tiny
> vise-grip.

I carry my purse and a helpless look on my face. Works for me. ;-)

Maggie

No more pain
No more strain
Now I'm sane
But I'll rather be in love again

Just zis Guy, you know?
June 6th 05, 02:41 PM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:08:40 GMT, "Bob Burns"
> wrote:

>I carry a tiny adjustable wrench, a tiny pair of channel-locks, and a tiny
>vise-grip.

And the Acme Inflatable Anvil...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Maggie
June 6th 05, 02:50 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> And the Acme Inflatable Anvil...
>
> Guy

Is that the one the road runner uses?

BEEP BEEP

Maggie

C.J.Patten
June 6th 05, 03:20 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>
>> And the Acme Inflatable Anvil...
>>
>> Guy
>
> Is that the one the road runner uses?
>
> BEEP BEEP

pflub flub lub ub ub...

Sandy Morton
June 6th 05, 11:11 PM
In article om>,
David Martin > wrote:
> A small trowel, a hatchet and a geology hammer will do me. I can
> build a kiln, make charcoal and then smelt sufficient tin and
> copper from ore to allow bronze brazing of the frame should it
> break..

David

Are you looking for employment?

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

Martin Dann
June 6th 05, 11:28 PM
In message om>
"David Martin" > wrote:

> Bob Burns wrote:
> > I carry a tiny adjustable wrench, a tiny pair of channel-locks, and a tiny
> > vise-grip.
>
> A small trowel, a hatchet and a geology hammer will do me.
> I can build a kiln, make charcoal and then smelt sufficient tin and
> copper from ore to allow bronze brazing of the frame should it break..
>
> ANything ewlse is just namby pamby southern wussies who would make a
> big girls blouse seem hard..

You mean you don't carry a packet of Ficus elastica seeds around in case
you need to mend a puncture.

Impatient northern wusses.

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

David Martin
June 7th 05, 09:02 AM
Martin Dann wrote:

> You mean you don't carry a packet of Ficus elastica seeds around in case
> you need to mend a puncture.
>
> Impatient northern wusses.

Why bother with fancy foreign muck.. Boil up a few old cow hooves and
get a nice glue to patch the gut inner tube with.. If you are short of
a patche, there are plenty of rabbits on the road. Might be a bit hair
raising on the descents though, could really get the fur flying.

...d

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home