PDA

View Full Version : Quick release handlebar bags

bo-ku
June 4th 05, 10:21 PM
issue
slipping Quick release handlebar bags

(this issue has probably been addressed before -however I couldn't find a reference to
it though)

How do you keep a handlebar bag from slipping down onto the front wheel?

Cannondale quick release handlebar bag
the max weight is 10 lbs.

however even with less weight than this, angled almost horizontally and tightened to the
max the bag still slip down onto the front tire

this is the second bag (Schwinn)
any experience or solutions?

I like the front bag (although balance is skewed)

thanks
ku

--
bo ku
have a visual aesthetic experience

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 4th 05, 10:52 PM
> How do you keep a handlebar bag from slipping down onto the front wheel?
>
> Cannondale quick release handlebar bag
> the max weight is 10 lbs.
>
> however even with less weight than this, angled almost horizontally and
> tightened to the
> max the bag still slip down onto the front tire

10 pounds is an awful lot of weight for a quick-release handlebar bag
mechanism. I've had issues with half that weight, but if you want to try and
make it work as well as possible, I'd first use alcohol and clean both the
handlebar and the parts that mount to it, make sure the bolts are
lubricated, and try again. If that doesn't work, I'd consider using
permanent double-sided adhesive tape and see if that helps.

But I'd also try and find a way to carry no more than 3-4 pounds up front.
That weight is way up high and definitely affects handling (I use a small
Topeak bag and carry a 3-pound camera and it really changes the way my bike
handles, but if you had a touring bike, the effect would probably less than
on my Trek 5900).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"bo-ku" > wrote in message
> issue
> slipping Quick release handlebar bags
>
> (this issue has probably been addressed before -however I couldn't find a
> reference to
> it though)
>
> How do you keep a handlebar bag from slipping down onto the front wheel?
>
> Cannondale quick release handlebar bag
> the max weight is 10 lbs.
>
> however even with less weight than this, angled almost horizontally and
> tightened to the
> max the bag still slip down onto the front tire
>

> this is the second bag (Schwinn)
> any experience or solutions?
>
> I like the front bag (although balance is skewed)
>
> thanks
> ku
>
> --
> bo ku
> have a visual aesthetic experience

wafflycat
June 5th 05, 12:54 AM
"bo-ku" > wrote in message
> issue
> slipping Quick release handlebar bags
>
> (this issue has probably been addressed before -however I couldn't find a
> reference to
> it though)
>
> How do you keep a handlebar bag from slipping down onto the front wheel?

Lots to choose from on this side of the pond... Altura... Topeak... Agu...
Ortlieb...

See www.wiggle.co.uk from menu on left, select Bags - handlebar.

Certainly in my Altura one, I regularly carry more than 10lbs and I've had
no problems with it.

Cheers, helen s

Zoot Katz
June 5th 05, 07:40 AM
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:54:21 +0100, >,
"wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>Certainly in my Altura one, I regularly carry more than 10lbs and I've had
>no problems with it.

I've never seen a handle bar bag as impressive the Arkel bags and
mount.

http://www.arkel-od.com/
--
zk

bo-ku
June 5th 05, 07:31 PM
In article >,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

> 'd first use alcohol and clean both the
> handlebar and the parts that mount to it, make sure the bolts are
> lubricated, and try again. If that doesn't work, I'd consider using
> permanent double-sided adhesive tape and see if that helps.
>
> But I'd also try and find a way to carry no more than 3-4 pounds up front.
> That weight is way up high and definitely affects handling (I use a small
> Topeak bag and carry a 3-pound camera and it really changes the way my bike
> handles, but if you had a touring bike, the effect would probably less than
> on my Trek 5900).

Thanks for the suggestions on different bags
and I 'll try the above procedures and see what happens

I also put camera in bag -but with wide angle lens (BIG) - increases the weight
thanks

--

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

> 'd first use alcohol and clean both the
> handlebar and the parts that mount to it, make sure the bolts are
> lubricated, and try again. If that doesn't work, I'd consider using
> permanent double-sided adhesive tape and see if that helps.
>
> But I'd also try and find a way to carry no more than 3-4 pounds up front.
> That weight is way up high and definitely affects handling (I use a small
> Topeak bag and carry a 3-pound camera and it really changes the way my bike
> handles, but if you had a touring bike, the effect would probably less than
> on my Trek 5900).

Thanks for the suggestions on different bags
and I 'll try the above procedures and see what happens

I also put camera in bag -but with wide angle lens (BIG) - increases the weight
thanks

--
bo ku
have a visual aesthetic experience

June 5th 05, 08:10 PM
bo-ku wrote:
> issue
> slipping Quick release handlebar bags
>
> (this issue has probably been addressed before -however I couldn't find a reference to
> it though)
>
> How do you keep a handlebar bag from slipping down onto the front wheel?
>
> Cannondale quick release handlebar bag
> the max weight is 10 lbs.
>
> however even with less weight than this, angled almost horizontally and tightened to the
> max the bag still slip down onto the front tire
>

> this is the second bag (Schwinn)
> any experience or solutions?
>
> I like the front bag (although balance is skewed)

We've used the Cannondale bag, and had the same problem at first. I'm
assuming this is the one that has the stainless steel straps holding
the bag's mount to the handlebars, tightented by allen screws from the
front.

Anyway, I used blue Loctite thread locking compound. I smeared some
between the strap and the handlebar, then tightened as usual. It
hardens into a weak adhesive and it kept the bag in place with much
more weight than 10 pounds.

BTW, I have had no problem carrying _lots_ of weight in a handlebar
bag, as long as the weight (and bag) don't move relative to the front
wheel & handlebar. (This is on touring bike geometry). If the weight
is free to wobble, it can be annoying. Otherwise, no worries for me.

But maybe this is due to my paperboy days, when I regularly rode with
at least 30 pounds of papers in a front-mounted wire basket?

- Frank Krygowski

Fatso
June 5th 05, 10:05 PM
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:40:46 -0700, Zoot Katz >
wrote:

>Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:54:21 +0100, >,
>"wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
>
>>Certainly in my Altura one, I regularly carry more than 10lbs and I've had
>>no problems with it.
>
>I've never seen a handle bar bag as impressive the Arkel bags and
>mount.
>
>http://www.arkel-od.com/

And it's only $123 U.S! What a deal.

For those of us who are not oil sheiks, may I suggest a product that
is on sale for $20 right now, and from what I can see, at least 4/5 as
good as the Akel bag. Maybe the same or better. It's what I use and is
as nice as any handlebar bag I've ever seen up close with my own eyes.
The quick release mechanism cannot drop down, and the QR attachment
uses four nuts with two U bolts and a big hard bracket. I carry ten
pounds in this sometimes, including my sound system, and have had no
slipping problems ever. This thing is deluxe and sturdy. At this
price, I am going to order another right now to have on hand. These
things will only go up in price next year, same as with many products.

http://tinyurl.com/7wxpo

Performance® TransIt Pro Handlebar Bag
Regular Price: $39.99
Sale Price: $19.98 (That's 50% Off!)
Item #20-1355D
In Stock

"Large main compartment with three internal pockets, three external
pockets – including a cell phone pocket, protective map sleeve on top.
Quick release attachment system, includes a high-vis, quick-access
rain cover. 3M Scotchlite™ reflective tape on front. Storage capacity:
286 cu. in. Black(BLK)."

Geezer Boy

ADisclaimer: as usual, no connection with Performance Bike, etc., blah
blah.

Zoot Katz
June 6th 05, 12:28 AM
Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:05:47 -0400,
wrote:

>>http://www.arkel-od.com/
>
>And it's only $123 U.S! What a deal.
>
>For those of us who are not oil sheiks, may I suggest a product that
>is on sale for $20 right now, and from what I can see, at least 4/5 as
>good as the Akel bag. Maybe the same or better. It's what I use and is
>as nice as any handlebar bag I've ever seen up close with my own eyes.

Yep. Arkel is the good stuff. It's got all the bells and whistles
you'd have built in yourself were you too a cyclist and talented
designer spending years on the project. A Glad bag will do 4/5 of what
an Ortlieb bag does too.

The company's name is "Arkel Over Designs" and it's so true.
Guaranteed for life rather than another generic sweat shop product for
blowing out to consumers. You'll have to see and handle the product to
appreciate the difference. Then you'd have to decide whether it is
worth it to you to have the best.
Having owned their LadyBug pannier for a number of years, I'll not
settle for anything of lesser quality and fewer slick details.
--
zk

bo-ku
June 6th 05, 11:15 PM
In article om>,
wrote:

> We've used the Cannondale bag, and had the same problem at first. I'm
> assuming this is the one that has the stainless steel straps holding
> the bag's mount to the handlebars, tightented by allen screws from the
> front.

Thats the one -

> Anyway, I used blue Loctite thread locking compound. I smeared some
> between the strap and the handlebar, then tightened as usual. It
> hardens into a weak adhesive and it kept the bag in place with much
> more weight than 10 pounds.
I will try the above - and let you know how it works
thanks

--
bo ku
have a visual aesthetic experience

Mike Kruger
June 9th 05, 02:52 AM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message
> Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:54:21 +0100,
>,
> "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
>
> >Certainly in my Altura one, I regularly carry more than
10lbs and I've had
> >no problems with it.
>
> I've never seen a handle bar bag as impressive the Arkel
bags and
> mount.
>
> http://www.arkel-od.com/
> --
I have this bag and it is wonderfully well designed.
Well, except for one thing, which is why I almost never use
it. Lights. You can't use a handlebar mounted lighting system
because the bag completely blocks it. This makes it useless
for commuting, the use I intended it for.

I've recently invested in one of those extra bars that fit
above/below the handlebar to deal with this, but haven't
really tested it out in the dark yet so I can't say if this
will be satisfactory. I could also put it on my bike that has
a generator attached to the front V-brake, but that already
has a back rack on it and I don't need the handlebar bag on
that bike.

--
Mike Kruger

Mike Kruger
June 9th 05, 03:04 AM
> wrote in message

> BTW, I have had no problem carrying _lots_ of weight in a
handlebar
> bag, as long as the weight (and bag) don't move relative to
the front
> wheel & handlebar. (This is on touring bike geometry). If
the weight
> is free to wobble, it can be annoying. Otherwise, no
worries for me.

> But maybe this is due to my paperboy days, when I regularly
rode with
> at least 30 pounds of papers in a front-mounted wire basket?

I think this may be generational. I was never a paperboy, but
I had a big wire basket on the front handbars that would take
a large grocery sack, almost always with a gallon of milk (8
pounds), or maybe two gallons. It's likely that the old
cruisers were more tolerant of this type of thing, AND we
learned to ride this way.

I actually have an even larger wire basket in my garage now.
Wald still makes them. A neighbor bought it so that his dog
could ride in the wire basket in front of him. Unfortunately,
the dog would not stay still. This experiment luckily ended
before either dog or owner got serious injuries. Neither
newspapers nor milk suddenly decide to jump off the bike and
chase a rabbit.

wafflycat
June 9th 05, 10:41 AM
"Mike Kruger" > wrote in message
news:1118281580.be7ec74d4745c9d276be0589facba3a2@t eranews...
> I have this bag and it is wonderfully well designed.
> Well, except for one thing, which is why I almost never use
> it. Lights. You can't use a handlebar mounted lighting system
> because the bag completely blocks it. This makes it useless
> for commuting, the use I intended it for.
>
> I've recently invested in one of those extra bars that fit
> above/below the handlebar to deal with this, but haven't
> really tested it out in the dark yet so I can't say if this
> will be satisfactory. I could also put it on my bike that has
> a generator attached to the front V-brake, but that already
> has a back rack on it and I don't need the handlebar bag on
> that bike.

I use a Minoura Space bar attached to handlebars which effectively allows me
to have two front lights mounted on it and have my bar bag in use at the
same time. I found this particularly useful on a cycling tour holiday, where
I was cycling at night with fully loaded panniers on rear rack and fully
loaded bar bag - with map in map holder on top of barbag.

Cheers, helen s

> --
> Mike Kruger

Zoot Katz
June 9th 05, 05:52 PM
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:52:16 -0500,
<1118281580.be7ec74d4745c9d276be0589facba3a2@terane ws>, "Mike Kruger"
> wrote:

>> http://www.arkel-od.com/
>> --
>I have this bag and it is wonderfully well designed.
>Well, except for one thing, which is why I almost never use
>it. Lights. You can't use a handlebar mounted lighting system
>because the bag completely blocks it. This makes it useless
>for commuting, the use I intended it for.
>
>I've recently invested in one of those extra bars that fit
>above/below the handlebar to deal with this, but haven't
>really tested it out in the dark yet so I can't say if this
>will be satisfactory.

I suppose using self-contained battery powered lights would complicate
things. Have tried a Nob for mounting lamps on the fork leg?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/dualsetupfork.htm

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp#nob
--
zk

hantspsycho
June 9th 05, 07:06 PM
"bo-ku" > wrote in message
> issue
> slipping Quick release handlebar bags
>
> (this issue has probably been addressed before -however I couldn't find a
> reference to
> it though)
>
> How do you keep a handlebar bag from slipping down onto the front wheel?
>
> Cannondale quick release handlebar bag
> the max weight is 10 lbs.
>
> however even with less weight than this, angled almost horizontally and
> tightened to the
> max the bag still slip down onto the front tire
>

> this is the second bag (Schwinn)
> any experience or solutions?
>
> I like the front bag (although balance is skewed)
>
> thanks
> ku
>
> --
> bo ku
> have a visual aesthetic experience

Hi - excuse me if I am:

a - missing something or
b - being stupid, but....

Surely the solution is to use a bracing strap which passes under the
handlebar stem? If you screw a fairly thick piece of plastic strap/webbing
strap from inside one fastening point, take this under the handlebar stem,
then inside the other fixing, the stress of the bag being forced downwards
by loadweight is taken by the strap which is prevented from slipping or
lifting by the handlebar stem?

We have a cooling bag
(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=135816&Trail=C%24cip%3D21734.Sports%2Band%2Bleisure%3EC%2 4cip%3D21757.Cycling%3EC%24cip%3D21762.Bicycle%2Ba ccessories&categoryId=21762&clickfrom=name)
(long link, sorry!) which does exactly this!

Pretty rubbish ascii diagram follows....

______X_____O_____X_____
-------------------

where X = fittings
O = stem
--------- = strap/webbing
________ = handlebar

All viewed from the front!

Adam

--
The diary of a Texas Holdem Poker Player
Watch the Ups and Downs of a new Poker Player!

Mike Kruger
June 10th 05, 03:58 AM
"Zoot Katz" > wrote in message >
> I suppose using self-contained battery powered lights would
complicate
> things. Have tried a Nob for mounting lamps on the fork leg?
>
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/dualsetupfork.htm
>
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp#nob
> --
The nob looks interesting. Thanks.

bo-ku
June 10th 05, 11:10 AM
In article <1118281580.be7ec74d4745c9d276be0589facba3a2@terane ws>,
"Mike Kruger" > wrote:

> You can't use a handlebar mounted lighting system
> because the bag completely blocks it. This makes it useless
> for commuting, the use I intended it for.

I just put the light on my helmet (battery)
or strapped around the chest

--
bo ku
have a visual aesthetic experience

bo-ku
June 23rd 05, 09:23 PM
In article >,
bo-ku > wrote:

> You can't use a handlebar mounted

FYI
I have had success in mounting the quick release handlebar bag
used some loctite (sp) glue
now I believe the bag will handle well over 10 lbs weight

thanks everyone for the help and information

--
bo ku
have a visual aesthetic experience

Google