PDA

View Full Version : I caught a pro team today

Blair P. Houghton
June 5th 05, 12:19 AM
This morning I resolved to catch a peloton. Ever since
it's warmed up they're more numerous out on Pecos Road,
especially on weekends. And as much as I've been riding
out there (several times a week since last summer),
I've never caught one. I've turned a duo into a trio
once or twice, but nothing big. I always see them going
the other way. Never on my side of the road, though I
ride both sides back and out. Not even way off in the
unreachable distance.

But today I got lucky.

As I was warming-up down Liberty, about a quarter mile
from its T-bone end, I saw a rabbit spinning south on
Desert Foothills. He was going my way anyway, so I said,
"him." It wasn't a peloton, but hey, a challenge is a
challenge and he looked like he had chops. Built like a
bikie and riding smooth and fast.

I scanned left and right early and made the turn at
pack speed. He was a little closer, but I wasn't going
to get him before the turn onto Pecos. He made it, I
turned behind, then summitted just west and shifted up to
my nut-gear for the descent and pursuit.

Then I saw them.

About ten riders, maybe 3/4ths of a mile ahead. It looked
like he was chasing them. And now I was too.

As I got closer to him, and he got closer to them, I
noticed they were all the same color. One had a camelback
on, ruining the uniformity, but their jerseys and shorts
were white with blue accent. As was the rabbit's.

Honestly I don't think they were moving all that fast,
because once he got to them it was pretty easy to get
there myself. Everyone was gabbing and half of the pack
was coasting down the hill behind the pull, and I wasn't
even clicking over from moderate to intense breathing.

I tucked in at the rear, and read their shirts. Honeywell
Racing Team, iirc. Coooool, I said. I didn't get a
chance to pull alongside and talk to anyone, because the
lead signalled a turn onto 17th and I was headed to the end
of Pecos. I just said "coming left" and sprinted past and
down the hill as they went right and up.

Let them think I was going the *fun* way.

Which I was. I caught another guy at the turnaround,
and another on the ascent, ported around a night snake
who'd stayed up way too late, and held off a three-pack
of girls with scott bars by sacking up and getting back
into cadence.

--Blair
"Who says this sport is boring?"

P.S. Pretty sure they're pro. Can't tell without checking I.D...

NFN Smith
June 5th 05, 01:23 AM
Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> I tucked in at the rear, and read their shirts. Honeywell
> Racing Team, iirc. Coooool, I said. I didn't get a
> chance to pull alongside and talk to anyone, because the
> lead signalled a turn onto 17th and I was headed to the end
> of Pecos. I just said "coming left" and sprinted past and
> down the hill as they went right and up.

Team Honeywell is a local Phoenix-area team.

Smith

Bill Sornson
June 5th 05, 02:21 AM
Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> This morning I resolved to catch a peloton. Ever since
> it's warmed up they're more numerous out on Pecos Road,
> especially on weekends. And as much as I've been riding
> out there (several times a week since last summer),
> I've never caught one. I've turned a duo into a trio
> once or twice, but nothing big. I always see them going
> the other way. Never on my side of the road, though I
> ride both sides back and out. Not even way off in the
> unreachable distance.
>
> But today I got lucky.
>
> As I was warming-up down Liberty, about a quarter mile
> from its T-bone end, I saw a rabbit spinning south on
> Desert Foothills. He was going my way anyway, so I said,
> "him." It wasn't a peloton, but hey, a challenge is a
> challenge and he looked like he had chops. Built like a
> bikie and riding smooth and fast.
>
> I scanned left and right early and made the turn at
> pack speed. He was a little closer, but I wasn't going
> to get him before the turn onto Pecos. He made it, I
> turned behind, then summitted just west and shifted up to
> my nut-gear for the descent and pursuit.
>
> Then I saw them.
>
> About ten riders, maybe 3/4ths of a mile ahead. It looked
> like he was chasing them. And now I was too.
>
> As I got closer to him, and he got closer to them, I
> noticed they were all the same color. One had a camelback
> on, ruining the uniformity, but their jerseys and shorts
> were white with blue accent. As was the rabbit's.
>
> Honestly I don't think they were moving all that fast,
> because once he got to them it was pretty easy to get
> there myself. Everyone was gabbing and half of the pack
> was coasting down the hill behind the pull, and I wasn't
> even clicking over from moderate to intense breathing.
>
> I tucked in at the rear, and read their shirts. Honeywell
> Racing Team, iirc. Coooool, I said. I didn't get a
> chance to pull alongside and talk to anyone, because the
> lead signalled a turn onto 17th and I was headed to the end
> of Pecos. I just said "coming left" and sprinted past and
> down the hill as they went right and up.
>
> Let them think I was going the *fun* way.
>
> Which I was. I caught another guy at the turnaround,
> and another on the ascent, ported around a night snake
> who'd stayed up way too late, and held off a three-pack
> of girls with scott bars by sacking up and getting back
> into cadence.
>
> --Blair
> "Who says this sport is boring?"
>
> P.S. Pretty sure they're pro. Can't tell without checking I.D...

Sounds like they had finished their "ride ride" and were just cruising home.

Gave YOU a workout, at least... B

Chris Neary
June 5th 05, 03:53 AM
>P.S. Pretty sure they're pro. Can't tell without checking I.D...

Nope.

If you have $25, you can be a member.

http://www.honeywellcycling.com

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Blair P. Houghton
June 6th 05, 05:19 AM
Chris Neary > wrote:
>>P.S. Pretty sure they're pro. Can't tell without checking I.D...
>
>Nope.
>
>If you have $25, you can be a member.
>
>http://www.honeywellcycling.com

Damn. I didn't have my debit card on me. Was the one
with the camelback carrying the POS terminal?

--Blair
"Oh well. Nice shirts though."

Blair P. Houghton
June 6th 05, 05:29 AM
Bill Sornson > wrote:
>Sounds like they had finished their "ride ride" and were just cruising home.

Given where they were and where they turned, they had to
climb 17th Ave, then climb most of the way on Chandler to
about where Central would be, then there's a steep hill
to about 3rd street. Not a long hill, but not a cruise
by any means. I've only gone that loop once, because I
consider it too much of an effort for my program.

Of course, guess where I'm already thinking of going tomorrow.

>Gave YOU a workout, at least... B

May be a club team, but they all looked pretty good, and
I'm a broken-down old man with more upper body mass than
a bikie should have (some of it's even muscle).

Heck. I'd'a been glad to catch that pack of girls I ran
from later. Hey. Wait a minute...

--Blair
"It's hell having preset priorities."

Google