PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses question

catzz66
June 6th 05, 11:33 AM
What do you all use for eyewear? At my last eye exam, the doc said I
had a baby cataract and that I should wear UV ray protected sunglasses
when I bike. I'm farsighted, so otherwise I don't need eyeware to ride.

Maggie
June 6th 05, 02:20 PM
catzz66 wrote:
> What do you all use for eyewear? At my last eye exam, the doc said I
> had a baby cataract and that I should wear UV ray protected sunglasses
> when I bike. I'm farsighted, so otherwise I don't need eyeware to ride.

My personal favorite is Savatore Ferragamo in black with gold logo and
each side. Made in Italy. UV ray protected and they go well with
Everything. ;-) Just my two cents. Now someone can give a serious
answer.

Maggie.

No more pain
No more strain
Now I'm sane
But I'll rather be in love again

Roy Owen
June 6th 05, 03:57 PM
catzz66 wrote:
> What do you all use for eyewear? At my last eye exam, the doc said I
> had a baby cataract and that I should wear UV ray protected sunglasses
> when I bike. I'm farsighted, so otherwise I don't need eyeware to ride.
I preffer wrap around style sunglasses as this keeps the wind out of my
eyes. Also when you look back the wind doesn't catch them and pull them
off of your head.

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Maggie
June 6th 05, 09:00 PM
Roy Owen wrote:
Also when you look back the wind doesn't catch them and pull them
> off of your head.
>
> --
> Roy Owen

Like that would ever happen to me. Well, I might get caught in a
windstorm one day. I'll never be riding fast enough to be wind-blown.
That's for sure.

Maggie.

numbnutz
June 6th 05, 11:27 PM
I have had two pairs of Bolle glasses with polarized lenses and really
like them. The first were 795 Vangels that looked sort of bike geeky
with silver frames and blue mirror lenses. The latest are 729s that
wrap better but don't have the high friction nose bridge and tempes
that the 795s had. It doesn't seem to matter for biking but might be
good to add some of those pads (you can get them at walmart or any
drug store for $2). The 729s look more normal- brown lenses with a
sort of nickel silver (sort of like a darkly smoked chrome) frame, so
you'll be able to wear them when you're not on the bike without
loooking like you just stepped off Clattu's spaceship. The 729s have
antireflective coating on the insides of the lenses that really cuts a
lot of glare from the sides. All Bolle lenses have some sort of hard
scratch resistant coating that seems to work quite well.

Both were good for biking and keeping the wind out of one's eyes.
If you're in the states, the cheapest source I have found for Bolle
glasses is www.campmor.com Most are $40 plus shipping.

C.H. Luu
June 6th 05, 11:37 PM
This depends on what you find comfortable in terms of fit and lens
color. I prefer the fit of the Oakley M frames. In addition, there
are many types of lens with a multitude of lens color.

If you don't like too dark of a tint, you might want to try the G30 or
the VR28. The Fire Iridium is good if you want a darker tint. Most
Oakley dealers with a large sample of lenses for you to decide.

Claude

Gooserider
June 7th 05, 12:12 AM
"catzz66" > wrote in message
> What do you all use for eyewear? At my last eye exam, the doc said I had
> a baby cataract and that I should wear UV ray protected sunglasses when I
> bike. I'm farsighted, so otherwise I don't need eyeware to ride.\

I have two pair I alternate. I like my Zeal Blasts, even though they're kind
of ugly. They're vented, have three sets of lenses, adjustable temples, and
have a sweatband. Great for humid Florida mornings. I also use Bolle
Vigilantes which are polarized. Can't complain about either pair.

Bill Baka
June 7th 05, 02:45 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "catzz66" > wrote in message
>
>>What do you all use for eyewear? At my last eye exam, the doc said I had
>>a baby cataract and that I should wear UV ray protected sunglasses when I
>>bike. I'm farsighted, so otherwise I don't need eyeware to ride.\
>

> I have two pair I alternate. I like my Zeal Blasts, even though they're kind
> of ugly. They're vented, have three sets of lenses, adjustable temples, and
> have a sweatband. Great for humid Florida mornings. I also use Bolle
> Vigilantes which are polarized. Can't complain about either pair.

UV is bad for the eyes as well as the skin. Cataracts are just the most
obvious thing, but UV also hardens the lens after years and makes for
the need for bifocals. Also, look at an old dog and see how cloudy the
eyes have become. Dog will look almost right into the sun and are out
all day so they have an accelerated aging curve on their eyes.
Bill Baka

Paladin 3000
June 8th 05, 01:04 AM
Generally I will wear the cheapest wraparounds I can get. I have found
that the more I spend on sunglasses the faster they go
missing/break/get damaged. Don't ask me why but that's the way it
works for me. One thing I do make sure is that the glasses are UV
blockers. As all my co-workers can attest they work. By the time bike
season is in full swing I look like a reverse raccoon. <g>

numbnutz
June 8th 05, 04:45 AM
I haven't seen any sunglasses that don't have a tag or sticker on them
claiming total UV blockage in at least 20 years. Does anyone make
sunglasses that don't block UV, or at least claim to block UV?

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 11:01 AM
numbnutz wrote:
> I haven't seen any sunglasses that don't have a tag or sticker on them
> claiming total UV blockage in at least 20 years. Does anyone make
> sunglasses that don't block UV, or at least claim to block UV?

Before you buy try looking at a green tint neon sign or a computer
monitor with blue on it. Good blue blockers take the blue out of a
computer screen. For polarized take two identical sets and place then in
front of each other and look only through the doubled up lens pair. Now
rotate the glasses and when the hit a 90 degree angle no light should
get through. If the glasses have that, grab them and maybe even a spare.
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home