PDA

View Full Version : Fastest commute yet! At least for me.

dgk
June 6th 05, 01:19 PM
51:17 from home to work, 14.1 mph average. Just over 12 miles, of
which 3 are in Manhattan. For me that is flying; my previous best was
just under 55 minutes. Normally I just sort of lazy along and get in
around 64 minutes but I felt really good this morning and decided to
push it a bit. I flew over the 59th Street Bridge, passing all those
folks who normally pass me.

I also made just about every major light, which includes all the
crosstown lights except one and the downtown biggies at 34th and 42nd.
Those you can't run.

I can't imagine making it much faster. The odds on making those lights
argue against it.

Very humid today. I got off the bike and just exploded in sweat. Left
a puddle on the ground.

Hurray for Summer!

Maggie
June 6th 05, 01:53 PM
dgk wrote:
> Very humid today. I got off the bike and just exploded in sweat. Left
> a puddle on the ground.
>
> Hurray for Summer!

You are brave, it is about 1000 degrees today and humid. What do you
do for a living? Do you work in an office?

I didn't ride my bike in today. I have a meeting and I didn't want to
show up here dripping sweat. We have a shower in the office, but I
can't imagine showing up here and taking a shower.

This heat makes you sweat when you go out for just a short while. That
was some incredible ride. Plus you're in the city. Kudos. I admire
your abilities.

Maggie

No more pain
No more strain
Now I'm sane
But I'll rather be in love again

dgk
June 6th 05, 03:02 PM
On 6 Jun 2005 05:53:49 -0700, "Maggie" >
wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> Very humid today. I got off the bike and just exploded in sweat. Left
>> a puddle on the ground.
>>
>> Hurray for Summer!
>
>You are brave, it is about 1000 degrees today and humid. What do you
>do for a living? Do you work in an office?
>
>I didn't ride my bike in today. I have a meeting and I didn't want to
>show up here dripping sweat. We have a shower in the office, but I
>can't imagine showing up here and taking a shower.
>
>This heat makes you sweat when you go out for just a short while. That
>was some incredible ride. Plus you're in the city. Kudos. I admire
>your abilities.
>
>Maggie

Yes, I work in an office. Computer programmer. Today was the first day
I wore official bike shorts; I brought pants to change into. I also
wore the usual C9 (Target house brand) wicking shirt. No shower here
but it really isn't needed I've found. Normal deodorant seems to
handle any smell situation but I really don't find that the morning
ride causes much smell. Worse in the afternoon after working all day
but nothing really noticable even then.

That was the big surprise about biking to work. I always thought that
it would present a BO problem but it I don't find it so. I wish we had
a shower though, that would be nice.

Today was the first day where it was warm enough in the morning so
that I didn't need a jacket. Again, hurray for summer!

jj
June 6th 05, 03:06 PM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:19:23 -0400, dgk
> wrote:

>51:17 from home to work, 14.1 mph average. Just over 12 miles, of
>which 3 are in Manhattan. For me that is flying; my previous best was
>just under 55 minutes. Normally I just sort of lazy along and get in
>around 64 minutes but I felt really good this morning and decided to
>push it a bit. I flew over the 59th Street Bridge, passing all those
>folks who normally pass me.
>
>I also made just about every major light, which includes all the
>crosstown lights except one and the downtown biggies at 34th and 42nd.
>Those you can't run.
>
>I can't imagine making it much faster. The odds on making those lights
>argue against it.
>
>Very humid today. I got off the bike and just exploded in sweat. Left
>a puddle on the ground.
>
>Hurray for Summer!

Great ride report. So for many, many years you've been riding 12mi in and
12mi home at about 13mph? Goes to show that long steady distance pays off.
(Any hills on this route?)

Ditto on the humidity - 97% here. Though it was cool this morning at 8am,
the air felt thick. I lost 3lbs on the ride, and the temp was 67deg. (I do
a lot of fast sprinting).

Why not make Mondays your 'fast ride day' and try to beat this time each
week? Uh, not that cyclists are competitive or anything. ;-D

jj

Maggie
June 6th 05, 03:12 PM
dgk wrote:
> Yes, I work in an office. Computer programmer.

That explains it. Computer programmers are the strange and all knowing
gods and goddesses of corporate America.....no one knows what the hell
they are doing, and everyone needs them. From my experience and the
programmers I worked with and who now come into our office, wore
whatever the hell they wanted and were a little strange to begin with.

They also get away with alot more than most. You could probably stay
in your cycling clothes all day, and no one would say a word. Glad you
had a great ride into the city. Our computer guy is coming in today and
I know he will be wearing shorts and a shirt that doesn't match. But
we will bow down to his greatness. ;-) We need our computers.

Maggie

No more pain
No more strain
Now I'm sane
But I'll rather be in love again

dgk
June 6th 05, 05:23 PM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:06:21 -0400, > wrote:

>Great ride report. So for many, many years you've been riding 12mi in and
>12mi home at about 13mph? Goes to show that long steady distance pays off.
>(Any hills on this route?)
>
>Ditto on the humidity - 97% here. Though it was cool this morning at 8am,
>the air felt thick. I lost 3lbs on the ride, and the temp was 67deg. (I do
>a lot of fast sprinting).
>
>Why not make Mondays your 'fast ride day' and try to beat this time each
>week? Uh, not that cyclists are competitive or anything. ;-D
>
>jj

I've only been doing it since last May. I made it all the way through
till March and then had surgery on my elbow. I resumed biking after 6
weeks as per doctor's orders.

Yesterday was the first time I picked up a tennis racquet since the
surgery. It does hurt much less but it did not improve my crappy
forehand.

Dane Jackson
June 6th 05, 07:38 PM
Maggie > wrote:

> I didn't ride my bike in today. I have a meeting and I didn't want to
> show up here dripping sweat. We have a shower in the office, but I
> can't imagine showing up here and taking a shower.

I love being able to take a shower when I get in to work. The huge
advantage, speaking as the father of a 3 1/2 year old, is nobody wanting
anything from me while I'm in the shower. I don't have to worry about
waking anyone up with noise. I don't have to worry about any small people
deciding now would be a fabulous time to take a bath.

I get into work, read my email and take care of any emergencies. After
I've cooled down/dried off a bit, I mosy to the bathroom. We have
lockers for our clothes and what-not and I shave, shower and rejoin
the workforce feeling much more human.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"A timid person is scared before the danger, a coward during

Pat Lamb
June 6th 05, 09:07 PM
Dane Jackson wrote:

> I love being able to take a shower when I get in to work. The huge
> advantage, speaking as the father of a 3 1/2 year old, is nobody wanting
> anything from me while I'm in the shower. I don't have to worry about
> waking anyone up with noise. I don't have to worry about any small people
> deciding now would be a fabulous time to take a bath.

Just think, only 14 more years to go! (Unless you have more
children...) I have a few shower conflicts with the morning runners at
work, but it's much easier to work with than fighting teenagers for the
shower.

> I get into work, read my email and take care of any emergencies. After
> I've cooled down/dried off a bit, I mosy to the bathroom. We have
> lockers for our clothes and what-not and I shave, shower and rejoin
> the workforce feeling much more human.

E-mail, morning telecon, shower, and I'm ready to face the rest of the day.

Pat

Maggie
June 6th 05, 10:01 PM
Dane Jackson wrote:

> I love being able to take a shower when I get in to work. The huge
> advantage, speaking as the father of a 3 1/2 year old, is nobody wanting
> anything from me while I'm in the shower.

And you think this is just a problem of a father of a 3 year old? I
have three adult children and I can never get in the bathroom, I can
never find my hair dryer, someone is always banging on the door because
they are late for work....there is always someone who needs to brush
their teeth and fly out the door the moment I turn on the shower....and
when they all leave the house and I finally do get into the
bathroom..........It looks like a hurricane hit it.

My solution was to build another bathroom....but of course the husband
says we have made it this far with one bathroom....we can make it until
they leave. Or until we die. The only differnce between now and when
they were little, is they do not want to keep me company in the
bathroom. When they were toddlers, I never knew what it meant to pee
alone.

That showering at work sounds like a mighty fine idea. I am glad I
did not ride to work today in the heat though, because now it looks as
if a major storm is going to rip through and take us to OZ where we
will meet the wizard. Do I need a heart, a brain or courage?

Maggie.

Dane Jackson
June 6th 05, 10:27 PM
Pat Lamb > wrote:
> Dane Jackson wrote:
>>
>> I love being able to take a shower when I get in to work. The huge
>> advantage, speaking as the father of a 3 1/2 year old, is nobody wanting
>> anything from me while I'm in the shower. I don't have to worry about
>> waking anyone up with noise. I don't have to worry about any small people
>> deciding now would be a fabulous time to take a bath.
>
> Just think, only 14 more years to go! (Unless you have more
> children...) I have a few shower conflicts with the morning runners at
> work, but it's much easier to work with than fighting teenagers for the
> shower.

17 years to go. I have a nine month old also. Most of the joggers seem
to be lunchtime people so I haven't had too many problems.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
The most common given name in the world is Mohammad; the most common

Neil Brooks
June 6th 05, 10:43 PM
dgk > wrote:

>That was the big surprise about biking to work. I always thought that
>it would present a BO problem but it I don't find it so. I wish we had
>a shower though, that would be nice.

We had showers where I worked. You're right: it is nice. For about a
week, though, the showers were closed for repairs. I brought in a
spray bottle, 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol. Used that with a
washcloth/rag. Kind of like Purell for the whole body. Worked great.

Nice cool-down after the ride in, too.

June 7th 05, 12:17 AM
On 6 Jun 2005 07:12:35 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> Yes, I work in an office. Computer programmer.
>
>That explains it. Computer programmers are the strange and all knowing
>gods and goddesses of corporate America.....no one knows what the hell
>they are doing, and everyone needs them. From my experience and the
>programmers I worked with and who now come into our office, wore
>whatever the hell they wanted and were a little strange to begin with.

Your so clever with the backhanded compliment. Do you get it, your the
friggin' weirdo, not the computer wearers. You can't even go one day with
out putting down a whole class of people. Would you like being sent to a
world where all the people look just like you? Imagine that 3 billion
red-haired bigots with big purses and cheap bicycles, hahaha.

Then maybe after a while you'd see diversity is good.

>They also get away with alot more than most. You could probably stay
>in your cycling clothes all day, and no one would say a word. Glad you

Yeah and you dress like a goofy 70s reject, you big-hat wearin' doofus,
lol.

>had a great ride into the city. Our computer guy is coming in today and
>I know he will be wearing shorts and a shirt that doesn't match. But
>we will bow down to his greatness. ;-) We need our computers.

Superficial, much? ;-)

>Maggie
>
>No more pain
>No more strain
>Now I'm sane
>But I'll rather be in love again

Bill Baka
June 7th 05, 03:00 AM
Maggie wrote:

> dgk wrote:
>
>>Very humid today. I got off the bike and just exploded in sweat. Left
>>a puddle on the ground.
>>
>>Hurray for Summer!
>

> You are brave, it is about 1000 degrees today and humid. What do you
> do for a living? Do you work in an office?
>
> I didn't ride my bike in today. I have a meeting and I didn't want to
> show up here dripping sweat. We have a shower in the office, but I
> can't imagine showing up here and taking a shower.
>
> This heat makes you sweat when you go out for just a short while. That
> was some incredible ride. Plus you're in the city. Kudos. I admire
> your abilities.
>
> Maggie
>
> No more pain
> No more strain
> Now I'm sane
> But I'll rather be in love again

Have you ever been in Arkansas in 100 degree heat with 99% humidity.
They should make sweating in place a sport down there.
Bill Baka

Peter Cole
June 7th 05, 05:18 AM
Bill Sornson wrote:

> Dear Maggie,
>
> A simple "Oh, get the hell over yourselves" would have sufficed.
>
> Bill Fogel

Here we go again...

Cheto
June 7th 05, 10:30 AM
> wrote in message
> On 6 Jun 2005 07:12:35 -0700, "Maggie" > wrote:

> Your so clever with the backhanded compliment. Do you get it, your the
> friggin' weirdo, not the computer wearers. You can't even go one day with
> out putting down a whole class of people. Would you like being sent to a
> world where all the people look just like you? Imagine that 3 billion
> red-haired bigots with big purses and cheap bicycles, hahaha.

It just amazes me that there are some people here that are so "friggin'"
stupid that they don't understand Maggie.

BTW, what the hell is a "computer wearer"?

Cheto

Maggie
June 7th 05, 11:27 AM
wrote:
> Your so clever with the backhanded compliment. Do you get it, your the
> friggin' weirdo, not the computer wearers. You can't even go one day with
> out putting down a whole class of people. Would you like being sent to a
> world where all the people look just like you? Imagine that 3 billion
> red-haired bigots with big purses and cheap bicycles, hahaha.

That was not a back handed compliment. On this issue I will actually
defend myself. I have great respect for computer programmers. I work
with computers all day. I understand how important they are to me and
everyone else in the company. From the time I started working with
computers I made sure I developed a good relationship with the person
who took care of and the computers and the person who developed the
programs.

I normally just laugh off a misunderstanding when I am taken to task on
this NG.....but not this time. I understand, appreciate and respect
the work of our computer people. I could not accomplish my work
unless they were there. The company depends on them, I depend on them
and they have and always will have my deep respect for their knowledge
and patience. It is difficult to have patience with people who use the
computer but do not understand the programming. Yet they seem to
maintain their professionalism and patience even with the worst of us.

Sorry you had to read something derogatory into what I wrote. I wish
some of you could lighten up and realize that most of what I say is in
good fun. I am not putting anyone down, I am just making an
observation. My computer guy loves coming into the office wearing his
t-shirts and shorts. And we do not care in the least how he is
dressed. We respect the fact that he can keep our computers running,
develop better programs and make life a heck of a lot easier.

I thank all of the programmers I have ever worked with, and give them
my utmost respect. No matter what they choose to wear.

My only problem right now, is wondering why people can't see the
lightheartedness in my comments, or read more deeply into what I am
trying to say. I'm sorry my sense of humor somehow comes across as
insulting to groups of people. The computer programmers I have worked
with have always been respectful of my work because they know I am
respectful of theirs.

If you cannot find humor in life, I feel sorry for you. I do not know
who to attribute this quote to, but I will always remember it. "Total
absence of humor renders life impossible"....

Maggie

No more pain
No more strain
Now I'm sane
But I'll rather be in love again

dgk
June 7th 05, 01:48 PM
On 6 Jun 2005 14:01:00 -0700, "Maggie" >
wrote:

>That showering at work sounds like a mighty fine idea. I am glad I
>did not ride to work today in the heat though, because now it looks as
>if a major storm is going to rip through and take us to OZ where we
>will meet the wizard. Do I need a heart, a brain or courage?
>
>Maggie.

I left work around 4pm. Hazy blue sky, heavy humidity. Riding over the
bridge I looked back and saw the clouds developing. Hmm. Pedal faster.
Clouds now coming from north and west. I'm heading south and east.
They're gaining on me. Pedal faster. Getting thirsty, that little park
that I stop in for a drink is coming up. The wind is picking up. Don't
stop for water, there will be plenty around very shortly. Pedal
faster. Now in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, the home stretch. Passing
the Unisphere. Wind whipping all over, skies very dark. Pedal a bit
faster. Out of the park, flying up the last big hill. HOME! One minute
later KABOOM!!! Down it comes. Boy did it rain.

Likely a record setting trip getting home but I don't track that.

Maggie
June 7th 05, 02:33 PM
Cheto wrote:

> BTW, what the hell is a "computer wearer"?
>
> Cheto

Maybe this is what he/she means....

http://wearcomp.org/wearcompdef.html

Maggie ;-)

Cathy Kearns
June 7th 05, 03:45 PM
"Maggie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
> > Your so clever with the backhanded compliment.

> That was not a back handed compliment.

Well, it was and it wasn't. Despite your obvious respect for computer
folks' abilities, you seemed to say they were weird enough to get away with
biking into work. So your response was insinuating a) bike commuters must
be strange to be able to bike to work in warm weather, and b) computer folks
were just strange enought to do that. What if his response was that he was
an accountant? Or a lawyer? Or a travel agent? There are many commuters
that shower and change when they get to work, including computer
programmers.

For those wondering where this was coming from, I'm a former computer
programmer that is tired of the stereotype that computer programmers, though
brilliant and very necessary, are also eccentric.

Maggie
June 7th 05, 06:01 PM
Cathy Kearns wrote:
> "Maggie" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
> For those wondering where this was coming from, I'm a former computer
> programmer that is tired of the stereotype that computer programmers, though
> brilliant and very necessary, are also eccentric.

OK I apologize to every person I have insulted on the NG since I
started posting. This is ridiculous. I can't have a sense of humor,
I can't apologize.

Life is tough enough without everyone taking simple comments and
turning them into something more than what they are. Now I am
sterotyping computer programmers. What next? Who is safe from my
sterotyping? I am a menace to society. Lock your doors, Maggie is
loose. She is running wild with reckless abandon carrying her
stereotyping weapons of destruction.

Maybe I don't understand people who are so sensitive about what is said
on this NG. For that I apologize.

I always believed that no one can make me feel bad about myself or what
I do except me. You can put me into any category, it doesn't mean it's
true. I know who I am. I would hope everyone knows who they are. When
you do, nothing anyone says defines you, because you have defined
yourself.

I apologize to all I have unintentionally offended, all whose
profession I have offended, all I have sterotyped, all who find my
comments stupid, all who are bald, all who are not bald, all who wear
shorts, all who have children, all who have no children, all whose long
lyrics I have not given proper credit to, all who don't like the song
lyrics, all who hate Gucci, all who like lycra, all who hate my
ramblings, all who think I am weird, all who have a stick up their ass,
all who are wrapped too tight, and every single poster who has ever
posted on this NG since its inception. If I left anyone out. I'm
sorry.

Most of you are sweet, mellow, and very funny and really nice to chat
with......but good Lord, some of you are so uptight and sensitive, I
can't imagine how you survive in this world. This is not a marshmellow
world with candy apple skies. It's tough. How the heck do you get
through a day?

It could be the online experience that is turning me into a menace to
cyber society, but I have never had an experience like this.

Be good, be careful, be happy, stay strong, and remember Maggie loves
you all. No matter what you think.

Love you guys.

Maggie.

As the Beastie Boys sing.....CHECK YOUR HEAD and Lighten up, shine like
the sun.

Bill Sornson
June 7th 05, 06:04 PM
Maggie wrote:
> Cathy Kearns wrote:
>> "Maggie" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>
>> For those wondering where this was coming from, I'm a former computer
>> programmer that is tired of the stereotype that computer
>> programmers, though brilliant and very necessary, are also eccentric.
>
> OK I apologize to every person I have insulted on the NG since I
> started posting. This is ridiculous. I can't have a sense of humor,
> I can't apologize.
>
> Life is tough enough without everyone taking simple comments and
> turning them into something more than what they are. Now I am
> sterotyping computer programmers. What next? Who is safe from my
> sterotyping? I am a menace to society. Lock your doors, Maggie is
> loose. She is running wild with reckless abandon carrying her
> stereotyping weapons of destruction.
>
> Maybe I don't understand people who are so sensitive about what is
> said on this NG. For that I apologize.
>
> I always believed that no one can make me feel bad about myself or
> what I do except me. You can put me into any category, it doesn't
> mean it's true. I know who I am. I would hope everyone knows who they
> are. When you do, nothing anyone says defines you, because you have
> defined yourself.
>
> I apologize to all I have unintentionally offended, all whose
> profession I have offended, all I have sterotyped, all who find my
> comments stupid, all who are bald, all who are not bald, all who wear
> shorts, all who have children, all who have no children, all whose
> long lyrics I have not given proper credit to, all who don't like the
> song lyrics, all who hate Gucci, all who like lycra, all who hate my
> ramblings, all who think I am weird, all who have a stick up their
> ass, all who are wrapped too tight, and every single poster who has
> ever posted on this NG since its inception. If I left anyone out.
> I'm sorry.
>
> Most of you are sweet, mellow, and very funny and really nice to chat
> with......but good Lord, some of you are so uptight and sensitive, I
> can't imagine how you survive in this world. This is not a marshmellow
> world with candy apple skies. It's tough. How the heck do you get
> through a day?
>
> It could be the online experience that is turning me into a menace to
> cyber society, but I have never had an experience like this.
>
> Be good, be careful, be happy, stay strong, and remember Maggie loves
> you all. No matter what you think.
>
> Love you guys.
>
> Maggie.
>
> As the Beastie Boys sing.....CHECK YOUR HEAD and Lighten up, shine
> like the sun.

Dear Maggie,

A simple "Oh, get the hell over yourselves" would have sufficed.

Bill Fogel

Maggie
June 7th 05, 07:41 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> Dear Maggie,
>
> A simple "Oh, get the hell over yourselves" would have sufficed.
>
> Bill Fogel

Dear Bill,

I never learn do I ?

Maggie

Dane Jackson
June 8th 05, 12:18 AM
Maggie > wrote:

> Life is tough enough without everyone taking simple comments and
> turning them into something more than what they are. Now I am
> sterotyping computer programmers. What next? Who is safe from my
> sterotyping? I am a menace to society. Lock your doors, Maggie is
> loose. She is running wild with reckless abandon carrying her
> stereotyping weapons of destruction.

Meh. You didn't offend me (speaking as a computer programmer). Though
I tend to dress quite a bit better than t-shirts and jeans, I won't
dispute the eccentricity. But I'm sure there are plenty of perfectly normal
plain jane programmers out there who are content to be so.

Now, if you had gone out of your way to say I rode like a dyspeptic dog
and that my bicycle was a piece of junk I might be ready to pick a bone with
you. ;)

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"All the cool ****'s on the bottom you twit!"

Dane Jackson
June 8th 05, 12:45 AM
Maggie > wrote:

> Dane Jackson wrote:
>>
>> I love being able to take a shower when I get in to work. The huge
>> advantage, speaking as the father of a 3 1/2 year old, is nobody wanting
>> anything from me while I'm in the shower.
>
> And you think this is just a problem of a father of a 3 year old? I
> have three adult children and I can never get in the bathroom, I can
> never find my hair dryer, someone is always banging on the door because
> they are late for work....there is always someone who needs to brush
> their teeth and fly out the door the moment I turn on the shower....and
> when they all leave the house and I finally do get into the
> bathroom..........It looks like a hurricane hit it.

Oh yes, I'm certainly looking forward to sharing the bathroom with two
teenage girls. My wife really is a very un-girly girl when it comes to
monopolizing the bathroom. We really don't have any problem with
anything like that currently. But I'm sure that will all change...

> My solution was to build another bathroom....but of course the husband
> says we have made it this far with one bathroom....we can make it until
> they leave. Or until we die.

We actually already have a second bathroom in the basement. It's not
terribly nice (we moved in last year and it's low on the fix-it list),
but it's servicable, and I'm sure I can make it decent in a few years.

> The only differnce between now and when
> they were little, is they do not want to keep me company in the
> bathroom. When they were toddlers, I never knew what it meant to pee
> alone.

The first one is over that stage. However the second will be entering
it very soon. I'm sure my wife will be despairing loudly over it.
Again.

> That showering at work sounds like a mighty fine idea. I am glad I
> did not ride to work today in the heat though, because now it looks as
> if a major storm is going to rip through and take us to OZ where we
> will meet the wizard. Do I need a heart, a brain or courage?

If I only had a Chain:

I could while away the hours,
conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain.

And my head I'd be scratchin'
while my links and cogs were matchin'
If I only had a chain

I'd travel every hedgerow
for any simple fellow
In trouble or in pain.

Dorothy:

With the miles you'd be travelin'
you could be another De Havilland
If you only had a chain.

Scarecrow:

Oh, I could tell you why The ocean's near the shore.
I could spin and see all the things I've never seen before.

And then I'd sit, and spin some more.

I would not be just a nothin'
my legs all full of stuffin'
My heart all full of pain.

I would dance and be merry,
life would be a ding-a-derry,
If I only had a chain.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Whenever someone thinks that they can replace SSL/SSH with something much

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 01:38 AM
Maggie wrote:

> Cathy Kearns wrote:
>
>>"Maggie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>>For those wondering where this was coming from, I'm a former computer
>>programmer that is tired of the stereotype that computer programmers, though
>>brilliant and very necessary, are also eccentric.
>

> OK I apologize to every person I have insulted on the NG since I
> started posting. This is ridiculous. I can't have a sense of humor,
> I can't apologize.
>
> Life is tough enough without everyone taking simple comments and
> turning them into something more than what they are. Now I am
> sterotyping computer programmers. What next? Who is safe from my
> sterotyping? I am a menace to society. Lock your doors, Maggie is
> loose. She is running wild with reckless abandon carrying her
> stereotyping weapons of destruction.
>
> Maybe I don't understand people who are so sensitive about what is said
> on this NG. For that I apologize.
>
> I always believed that no one can make me feel bad about myself or what
> I do except me. You can put me into any category, it doesn't mean it's
> true. I know who I am. I would hope everyone knows who they are. When
> you do, nothing anyone says defines you, because you have defined
> yourself.
>
> I apologize to all I have unintentionally offended, all whose
> profession I have offended, all I have sterotyped, all who find my
> comments stupid, all who are bald, all who are not bald, all who wear
> shorts, all who have children, all who have no children, all whose long
> lyrics I have not given proper credit to, all who don't like the song
> lyrics, all who hate Gucci, all who like lycra, all who hate my
> ramblings, all who think I am weird, all who have a stick up their ass,
> all who are wrapped too tight, and every single poster who has ever
> posted on this NG since its inception. If I left anyone out. I'm
> sorry.
>
> Most of you are sweet, mellow, and very funny and really nice to chat
> with......but good Lord, some of you are so uptight and sensitive, I
> can't imagine how you survive in this world. This is not a marshmellow
> world with candy apple skies. It's tough. How the heck do you get
> through a day?
>
> It could be the online experience that is turning me into a menace to
> cyber society, but I have never had an experience like this.
>
> Be good, be careful, be happy, stay strong, and remember Maggie loves
> you all. No matter what you think.
>
> Love you guys.
>
> Maggie.
>
> As the Beastie Boys sing.....CHECK YOUR HEAD and Lighten up, shine like
> the sun.

Maggie,
As I said when you first showed up on this group, "Beware". There are a
few people on here who will stomp on anything you say, right or wrong.
Then there are those who think that you shouldn't be here if you are a
casual rider and don't have a speedometer to brag about your speed.
Others will try to put you down if you 'only' ride 20 miles a day to
commute. Then there are a few like me who just by relating some of my
trips/diversions, get nailed by about half the group. I personally enjoy
hearing about your escapades, so keep them coming.
As before, Welcome to the group of both opinions and grouches.
Bill Baka

Mark Hickey
June 8th 05, 03:29 AM
Bill Baka > wrote:

>As before, Welcome to the group of both opinions and grouches.
>Bill Baka

I have opinions, therefore you must be the grouch. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Zoot Katz
June 8th 05, 03:56 AM
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:29:16 -0700,
>, Mark Hickey
> wrote:

>>As before, Welcome to the group of both opinions and grouches.
>>Bill Baka
>
>I have opinions, therefore you must be the grouch. ;-)

I have titanium body mods therefore I must be stiff yet responsive.
--
zk

Bill Baka
June 8th 05, 10:52 AM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> Bill Baka > wrote:
>

>>As before, Welcome to the group of both opinions and grouches.
>>Bill Baka
>

> I have opinions, therefore you must be the grouch. ;-)
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

I'm not the grouch, it's just that I mention I ride cheap Mountain bikes
like Huffy and Mongoose that gets all the >>$1,000 crowd all ****ed off.
They need to experience some real adventure trail riding, that's all.
Bill Baka

Maggie
June 8th 05, 03:05 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> I have titanium body mods therefore I must be stiff yet responsive.
> --
> zk

Sounds interesting, can you elaborate?

Maggie ;-)

Jeff Starr
June 8th 05, 04:58 PM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:52:56 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:

>I'm not the grouch, it's just that I mention I ride cheap Mountain bikes
>like Huffy and Mongoose that gets all the >>$1,000 crowd all ****ed off.
>They need to experience some real adventure trail riding, that's all.
>Bill Baka

You really think it is about your crappy bikes? Well, it's not. I
don't think anybody here, gets down on people who can't afford quality
equipment. And it certainly doesn't have to cost over a $1000. There
are decent bikes starting around $300, as far as I know. Most people
seem to strive to do or have the best within their abilities and/or
budget.

No, what bothers us, is your constant bull**** and bad advice. And
then there is your prejudice towards road bikers. I don't have a
problem with mountain bikers, in fact the believable ones, I admire
their skill and courage.

You tend ignore the obvious or the big picture, to pull some obscure
reference as being the main point.Thus avoiding the real issues.

And finally, it doesn't help that you are a moron.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Mike Latondresse
June 8th 05, 06:18 PM
Bill Baka > wrote in
:

> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> Bill Baka > wrote:
>>

>>>As before, Welcome to the group of both opinions and grouches.
>>>Bill Baka
>>

>> I have opinions, therefore you must be the grouch. ;-)
>>
>> Mark Hickey
>> Habanero Cycles
>> http://www.habcycles.com
>> Home of the $695 ti frame
>
> I'm not the grouch, it's just that I mention I ride cheap Mountain
> bikes like Huffy and Mongoose that gets all the >>$1,000 crowd all
> ****ed off. They need to experience some real adventure trail
> riding, that's all. Bill Baka

Wrong Bill, the >>$1000 bike crowd thinks that a Huffy is just
perfect for you.

Maggie
June 8th 05, 06:27 PM
Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:52:56 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:
> And finally, it doesn't help that you are a moron.

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

According to statistical research...Intelligence Quotient Scale:

Moron = 50-69

Imbecile = 30-49

Idiot = 29 & below

If you are calling someone a moron, you are actually saying the person
is not an imbecile or an idiot.

Love,
Maggie

I realize baby you and I could never be
But I just want to thank you memories
-Rod Stewart

Maggie
June 8th 05, 08:37 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> I need to experience some international cycle touring.

I need to experience the waiter who just served me for lunch. YUMMY.
Boy what eye candy for an old broad. All waiters should look like he
did. I would go out lunch more often.

Maggie.

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 02:56 AM
Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:52:56 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:
>

>>I'm not the grouch, it's just that I mention I ride cheap Mountain bikes
>>like Huffy and Mongoose that gets all the >>$1,000 crowd all ****ed off.
>>They need to experience some real adventure trail riding, that's all.
>>Bill Baka
>

> You really think it is about your crappy bikes? Well, it's not. I
> don't think anybody here, gets down on people who can't afford quality
> equipment. And it certainly doesn't have to cost over a $1000. There
> are decent bikes starting around $300, as far as I know. Most people
> seem to strive to do or have the best within their abilities and/or
> budget.

It isn't even a matter of money, but I would spend $1,000 buying a new
dual core Athlon 64 bit computer with 3 Gigs of money a lot faster.
A bike is just something to ride, and I don't park it in the driveway to
wash it ans show it off to the neighbors.

> No, what bothers us, is your constant bull**** and bad advice. And
> then there is your prejudice towards road bikers.

I don't have a problem with road bikers, but every time someone asks for
advice it seems to be 'road bike'. There are only so many roads where I
live and lousy roads. Even in the city I would be inclined to take a
detour through a non maintained alley and have less chance of flatting
out. Being stuck in a routine is what I hate, and with the mountain
bikes I can pretty well go where I point the bike.

I don't have a
> problem with mountain bikers, in fact the believable ones, I admire
> their skill and courage.

Agreed. There are some guys I would not even think about challenging on
a downhill race, even with full body armor, but then again that
interferes with the prime objective of exercise.

> You tend ignore the obvious or the big picture, to pull some obscure
> reference as being the main point.Thus avoiding the real issues.

People may get hurt riding mountain bikes due to their skill level not
being what they think it is and that is their fault, but rarely fatal.
Roads with cars tend to get more bicyclists hurt worse, often fatally,
and I don't want to put my life in the hands of someone who might not
not even see me and have it register.

> And finally, it doesn't help that you are a moron.

You can only dream of being as smart a moron as me. I turned Mensa down,
not the other way. I ride different than you so
TOUGH ****.
Bill Baka

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 02:58 AM
Mike Latondresse wrote:
> Bill Baka > wrote in
> :
>

>>Mark Hickey wrote:

>>>I have opinions, therefore you must be the grouch. ;-)
>>>
>>>Mark Hickey
>>>Habanero Cycles
>>>http://www.habcycles.com
>>>Home of the $695 ti frame
>>
>>I'm not the grouch, it's just that I mention I ride cheap Mountain
>>bikes like Huffy and Mongoose that gets all the >>$1,000 crowd all
>>****ed off. They need to experience some real adventure trail
>>riding, that's all. Bill Baka
>>

> Wrong Bill, the >>$1000 bike crowd thinks that a Huffy is just
> perfect for you.

Gee, thanks. Now I can spend all that money on my computer.
Besides, I never get pinch flats and haven't outright killed a bike
lately either.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 03:03 AM
Maggie wrote:

> Jeff Starr wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:52:56 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:
>>And finally, it doesn't help that you are a moron.
>

>>Life is Good!
>>Jeff
>

> According to statistical research...Intelligence Quotient Scale:
>
> Moron = 50-69
>
> Imbecile = 30-49
>
> Idiot = 29 & below
>
> If you are calling someone a moron, you are actually saying the person
> is not an imbecile or an idiot.
>
> Love,
> Maggie
>
> I realize baby you and I could never be
> But I just want to thank you memories
> -Rod Stewart

Maggie,
You forgot to mention the upper end of the scale, where some of these
'humans' don't belong. What is 140-149 these days? I may be smart but my
motivation to get excited by computer based electronics is gone. It used
to be fun but now even electronics (my first hobby) has turned to drudge.
I miss tubes (vacuum state FETs).
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 03:07 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article >,
> Bill Baka > writes:
>

>>They need to experience some real adventure trail riding, that's all.
>

> People "need" to experience whatever the hell misc
> experiences they wanna.
>
> I need to experience some international cycle touring.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Actually you do need to experience some insane downhills on nasty roads
or trails. Yeah, you can crash, but the adrenaline rush wins over the
possibility of broken bones or road rash. I live for the adventure part
of biking and not just 'miles' on the odometer. You might say 'I've seen
Paris" just because you rode through it, but did you 'really' see it?
Bill (stops and smells the flowers) Baka

Bill Sornson
June 9th 05, 04:23 AM
Bill Baka wrote:

> It isn't even a matter of money, but I would spend $1,000 buying a new
> dual core Athlon 64 bit computer with 3 Gigs of money a lot faster.
^^^^^^^^^
Calling Dr. Freud.

Bill Sornson
June 9th 05, 04:30 AM
Bill Baka wrote:
> Actually you do need to experience some insane downhills on nasty
> roads or trails. Yeah, you can crash, but the adrenaline rush wins
> over the possibility of broken bones or road rash. I live for the
> adventure part of biking and not just 'miles' on the odometer. You
> might say 'I've seen Paris" just because you rode through it, but did
> you 'really' see it? Bill (stops and smells the flowers) Baka

Bill, do yourself a favor and check out some of the videos at
www.petefagerlin.com or www.mountainbikebill.com. Find out what /true/
mountain biking really is...and stop bragging about whatever the hell it is
that YOU do. (Hint: there's nothing at all wrong with the riding you do --
or anyone else does -- but it's NOT the "hot ****" you seem to think it is.)

Rich
June 9th 05, 04:57 AM
Bill Baka wrote:

> I don't have a problem with road bikers, but every time someone asks for
> advice it seems to be 'road bike'.

I've asked for advice that wasn't 'road bike' and got it. I think
you're confused.

> You can only dream of being as smart a moron as me. I turned Mensa down,
> not the other way.

Please elaborate. Did Mesa called you on the phone or send someone to
your house after reading your brilliant posts? And then you said "not
interested"?

Rich

Jeff Starr
June 9th 05, 05:05 AM
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:03:18 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:

>I miss tubes (vacuum state FETs).
>Bill Baka

Obviously another subject, you not well informed in. Vacuum tubes are
extremely common in high end audio electronics. Not to mention
available in many audio kits.
The tubes themselves, are often valuable if NOS, and are still be
manufactured today.
I have two preamps and a power amp that all use tubes.

Here is an example of a recently designed tube processor:
http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/604fosgate/
This is a high end example, here is a less costly one:
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay3/foreplay3.htm

There is also big business in modifying and rebuilding old tube
electronice, by Dynaco and Fisher. Tube testers do big business. The
Hickoks selling for top dollar. I myself have bought three testers,
sold two, keeping an Eico.

If you really do know anything about vacuum tubes, there are numerous
directions to go in, both as a hobby and commercially.
Here is some info on what is still being manufactured and various
uses:
http://www.vacuumtube.com/FAQ.htm

Life is Good!
Jeff

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 10:44 AM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>

>>It isn't even a matter of money, but I would spend $1,000 buying a new
>>dual core Athlon 64 bit computer with 3 Gigs of money a lot faster.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^
> Calling Dr. Freud.

Call him if I spend a kilobuck on a bike. I already have 5 bikes and
enough parts to start a small repair shop but then I would be too busy
to ride my 'JUNKERS', that don't break.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 10:59 AM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>>Actually you do need to experience some insane downhills on nasty
>>roads or trails. Yeah, you can crash, but the adrenaline rush wins
>>over the possibility of broken bones or road rash. I live for the
>>adventure part of biking and not just 'miles' on the odometer. You
>>might say 'I've seen Paris" just because you rode through it, but did
>>you 'really' see it? Bill (stops and smells the flowers) Baka
>

> Bill, do yourself a favor and check out some of the videos at
> www.petefagerlin.com or www.mountainbikebill.com. Find out what /true/
> mountain biking really is...and stop bragging about whatever the hell it is
> that YOU do. (Hint: there's nothing at all wrong with the riding you do --
> or anyone else does -- but it's NOT the "hot ****" you seem to think it is.)

I never said I was doing "Hot ****" biking, especially when I am alone
and way out of cell phone range. I don't want to be the skeleton that
some hiker finds 20 years from now. My limit is the point where I might
break a leg or arm but would still be able to limp out of the woods,
with or without carrying a broken bike. I like to push my personal
limits, not try to get myself killed, doing stunts like some of these
guys who obviously had someone with a camera standing by. I will engage
in a race with a car sometimes, like when I am passed at over 100 MPH
and I am just cruising at 90. That happened to me some years back when a
guy in a Porsche passed me, then I passed him at about 130 MPH, then he
got really ****ed and passed me at about 145-150 while I was hitting the
brakes for a known speed trap/overpass. About 2 miles down the road
there he was, getting a nice big ticket. My car by the way, was a junker
looking 1966 Chrysler with a 440", 400+ HP police engine that would just
about touch 150, so it was a definite sleeper. I don't even have to pay
extra insurance on it because it is old enough not to be on the books.
The last time I raced someone on a motorcycle was on a busy mountain
road, and even though I won, I decided to swear off of that kind of thing.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 11:04 AM
Rich wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>> I don't have a problem with road bikers, but every time someone asks
>> for advice it seems to be 'road bike'.
>

> I've asked for advice that wasn't 'road bike' and got it. I think
> you're confused.
>

>> You can only dream of being as smart a moron as me. I turned Mensa
>> down, not the other way.
>

> Please elaborate. Did Mesa called you on the phone or send someone to
> your house after reading your brilliant posts? And then you said "not
> interested"?
>
> Rich

I went to a meeting as a guest and was totally unimpressed. As far as my
posts are concerned I am just replying on the spot and not going for any
awards for writing a book or the best comeback line ever conceived. If I
ever get 'that' bored I may yet join Mensa, but I was actually advised
against doing it to add to my resume because some people won't hire
someone potentially smarter than themselves.
It is a strange world and I have proof,....you.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 9th 05, 11:21 AM
Jeff Starr wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 19:03:18 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:
>

>>I miss tubes (vacuum state FETs).
>>Bill Baka
>

> Obviously another subject, you not well informed in.

You just stepped into really deep **** to presume you know enough to
challenge me on electronics. There are plenty of tube amplifiers out
there for the high end group. Many bands use nothing but tube equipment
because they sound better when driven past their limits and then they
limit softly, not like hitting a brick wall with a solid state amp.
They are also very forgiving of being hook up wrong, like a dead short
which would kill many transistor amps. I have built things with tubes in
the Kilowatt range and had 3 or 4 THOUSAND volt flash overs in a tube,
yet when I dial it down it still works. Try that with a transistor.
Vacuum tubes are
> extremely common in high end audio electronics. Not to mention
> available in many audio kits.

I have a collection of old short wave radios and amplified pre-selectors
that dates from the 1930's to the 1960's. My newest tubes were made in
1976 and were steel, presumably for the military. Some of their
equipment dated back to the 1940's but still worked.

> The tubes themselves, are often valuable if NOS, and are still be
> manufactured today.

Svetlana, Russia.

> I have two preamps and a power amp that all use tubes.

Big deal I have you beat, and I know how to fix and realign them.

> Here is an example of a recently designed tube processor:
> http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/604fosgate/
> This is a high end example, here is a less costly one:
> http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay3/foreplay3.htm
>
> There is also big business in modifying and rebuilding old tube
> electronice, by Dynaco and Fisher.

You forgot Heathkit and Eico to mention a few. I saw an unopened
Heathkit from about 1959 on Ebay a few years back and it turned into a
bidding war.

Tube testers do big business. The
> Hickoks selling for top dollar. I myself have bought three testers,
> sold two, keeping an Eico.

I have 2 testers that I am keeping since their value just keeps going
up. One even has the magic eye tube and I have an old buy very accurate
capacitor tester that has a magic eye, good to +/- a few puff.

> If you really do know anything about vacuum tubes, there are numerous
> directions to go in, both as a hobby and commercially.

I can design most tube amplifiers from scratch using just the input on
the characteristics from one of my old tube manuals. I have 5 dating
from 1955 (lots of octals and big bottles)to 1975 (7 and 9 pin minis).

> Here is some info on what is still being manufactured and various
> uses:
> http://www.vacuumtube.com/FAQ.htm
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

And knowing that I know more than you make life all the sweeter.
Bill Baka

Jeff Starr
June 9th 05, 02:00 PM
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:21:14 -0700, Bill Baka > wrote:

> [...]
>> sold two, keeping an Eico.
>
>I have 2 testers that I am keeping since their value just keeps going
>up. One even has the magic eye tube and I have an old buy very accurate
>capacitor tester that has a magic eye, good to +/- a few puff.
>

>> If you really do know anything about vacuum tubes, there are numerous
>> directions to go in, both as a hobby and commercially.
>
>I can design most tube amplifiers from scratch using just the input on
>the characteristics from one of my old tube manuals. I have 5 dating
>from 1955 (lots of octals and big bottles)to 1975 (7 and 9 pin minis).
>
>> Here is some info on what is still being manufactured and various
>> uses:
>> http://www.vacuumtube.com/FAQ.htm
>>

>> Life is Good!
>> Jeff
>
>And knowing that I know more than you make life all the sweeter.

You said you missed tubes, I guess that you have no reason to miss
them, as they are still available.

Your comprehension skills are not all that good, are they? I certainly
never said that you don't know anything about tubes and electronics.
I'd be amazed if you didn't. As I said " If you really do know
anything about vacuum tubes, there are numerous directions to go in,
both as a hobby and commercially."

Of course I am wasting my time here, but my point was/is that there is
no reason to miss tubes, there is a lot to do with them. Go design the
ultimate amplifier.

If knowing more about a topic, than me, gives you great joy, that just
shows what a pathetic life that you live.

Somewhere else, you claim that you would need your head examined, if
you ever bought a $1000 bike. You just don't get the concept of the
benefit of owning a quality bike. Of course from your many other
posts, I don't think you apreciate the difference between quality and
crap, in many things in life. And quality does not always come at a
high price.

Ok little bill, I'm done playing with you, overall, you just don't get
it.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Maggie
June 9th 05, 03:26 PM
Bill Baka wrote:
> And knowing that I know more than you make life all the sweeter.
> Bill Baka

And Maggie blurts out....."Knowing that I know nothing about cycling
makes life sweeeeeeeeeet." ;-)

I just ride my bike. One pedal rotation after the other. In my own
little Maggie world. Just the way I like it. It's fun here in Maggie
world.

Maggie.

Dane Jackson
June 9th 05, 05:47 PM
Maggie > wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>> And knowing that I know more than you make life all the sweeter.
>> Bill Baka
>

> And Maggie blurts out....."Knowing that I know nothing about cycling
> makes life sweeeeeeeeeet." ;-)
>
> I just ride my bike. One pedal rotation after the other. In my own
> little Maggie world. Just the way I like it. It's fun here in Maggie
> world.

Maggie, that is the perfect state of mind for riding the bike. Some
people spend years cycling for exercise and forget that one of the
reasons they started was because riding a bike can be a lot of *fun*.

You don't have to ride because it's good for the Environment.
You don't have to ride because it's good exercise.
You don't have to ride because it saves money.
You don't have to ride because you hate cars.

All of these are good reasons for you to ride if you want to. But the
best reason of all is to ride because you enjoy it.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Ride a bike, ride a bike, ride a bike."

Maggie
June 9th 05, 08:59 PM
Dane Jackson wrote:
> You don't have to ride because it's good for the Environment.
> You don't have to ride because it's good exercise.
> You don't have to ride because it saves money.
> You don't have to ride because you hate cars.
>
> All of these are good reasons for you to ride if you want to. But the
> best reason of all is to ride because you enjoy it.

FINALLY....something makes sense to me. ;-) Ride because you enjoy
it. What a concept. ;-) xx

Love,
Maggie

gds
June 9th 05, 09:30 PM
Bill Baka wrote:
I would spend $1,000 buying a new
> dual core Athlon 64 bit computer with 3 Gigs of money

3 gigs of money! That sounds like a lot of money! And you get a
computer with that all for only a grand?

Maggie
June 10th 05, 02:06 PM
Bill Baka wrote:
If I
> ever get 'that' bored I may yet join Mensa, but I was actually advised
> against doing it to add to my resume because some people won't hire
> someone potentially smarter than themselves.
> It is a strange world and I have proof,....you.
> Bill Baka

This is true. If a person surrounds him or herself with stupid people,
he or she will always feel superior. Lets not forget the definition of
intelligence and successful intelligence. There is a big difference in
my opinion.

Successful intelligence is defined as that set of mental abilities used
to achieve one's goals in life.

What good is a high IQ if you do absolutely nothing with it. What good
is a college degree if you do nothing with it.

If you are a person of average intelligence but you have vision, drive,
ambition, energy, and willing to work your ass off you will most
definately find whatever you want out of life.

Our motto around here is..."Hustling gets it done, you want it go get
it. It ain't coming to you baby" Seems to work. ;-)

Maggie

Bill Baka
June 10th 05, 06:20 PM
Jeff Starr wrote:

> You said you missed tubes, I guess that you have no reason to miss
> them, as they are still available.
For a few die hard groups only, like load rock bands who like the
distortion characteristics. An overdriven guitar blast would drive
people out of a club with Silicon based amps, but sounds good on tubes.

> Your comprehension skills are not all that good, are they? I certainly
> never said that you don't know anything about tubes and electronics.
> I'd be amazed if you didn't. As I said " If you really do know
> anything about vacuum tubes, there are numerous directions to go in,
> both as a hobby and commercially."

Why would I want to get into a dying market?

> Of course I am wasting my time here, but my point was/is that there is
> no reason to miss tubes, there is a lot to do with them. Go design the
> ultimate amplifier.

I could, but why? The last time I used tube amps was about 20 years ago
driving high voltage transformers into neon and flourescent tubes to get
a totally synchronized light show. Very popular with my friends but no
practical use.

> If knowing more about a topic, than me, gives you great joy, that just
> shows what a pathetic life that you live.

It only makes me feel sorry for all the dumb people on this planet who
don't even know enough to know how much they don't know.

> Somewhere else, you claim that you would need your head examined, if
> you ever bought a $1000 bike. You just don't get the concept of the
> benefit of owning a quality bike. Of course from your many other
> posts, I don't think you apreciate the difference between quality and
> crap, in many things in life. And quality does not always come at a
> high price.

I might pay a half million for a Ferrari or a 1932 Duesenberg SJ but not
for a for Escort. If you think spending a ton of bucks on a bike makes
you some sort of elite rider than you can have your fantasy. I am out
for the exercise and adventure of going new places, not just trying to
brag about my speed on my expensive bike. I also have far more miles per
dollar than you could ever achieve on any expensive bike. My cheap bikes
are not crap if they get me where I want to go. I have only had 2 bike
disabling failures in about 10,000 miles on both Huffy and Mongoose so
that equals good value per mile to me.
Your perception of reality seems different than most normal people.
I could never ride with you, only because I can't stand snobs and would
wind up killing you so I could ride in peace.
Bill Baka

> Ok little bill, I'm done playing with you, overall, you just don't get
> it.
>

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

Bill Baka
June 10th 05, 06:25 PM
Maggie wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>>And knowing that I know more than you make life all the sweeter.
>>Bill Baka
>

> And Maggie blurts out....."Knowing that I know nothing about cycling
> makes life sweeeeeeeeeet." ;-)
>
> I just ride my bike. One pedal rotation after the other. In my own
> little Maggie world. Just the way I like it. It's fun here in Maggie
> world.
>
> Maggie.

Maggie, you at least have it right. When I ride I look at the next
seemingly far landmark and before I know it, it is behind me. It may be
the next tree or the next cell phone tower but they always get behind me
faster than I think so I can just zone out and pedal. Always at my own
pace and a ride can be 10 miles or a century depending on how ambitious
I wake up. Working for myself on computers for people at their homes has
a great advantage for me, the day light hours are mine.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 10th 05, 06:29 PM
gds wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
> I would spend $1,000 buying a new
>
>>dual core Athlon 64 bit computer with 3 Gigs of money
>

> 3 gigs of money! That sounds like a lot of money! And you get a
> computer with that all for only a grand?

Leave it to me to let a typo get past me on this group..
You know what I meant. The damn spell checker catches the obvious words
but has no clue as to syntax. Anyway, it would be a sweet computer, even
better if I could afford a 4 x dual core Opteron machine so I could do
some real work in the background. Maybe next year.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka
June 10th 05, 06:43 PM
Maggie wrote:

> Bill Baka wrote:
> If I
>
>>ever get 'that' bored I may yet join Mensa, but I was actually advised
>>against doing it to add to my resume because some people won't hire
>>someone potentially smarter than themselves.
>>It is a strange world and I have proof,....you.
>>Bill Baka
>

> This is true. If a person surrounds him or herself with stupid people,
> he or she will always feel superior. Lets not forget the definition of
> intelligence and successful intelligence. There is a big difference in
> my opinion.

I try not to surround myself with stupid people but they are everywhere.

> Successful intelligence is defined as that set of mental abilities used
> to achieve one's goals in life.

I have and i have also realized that I am not going to single handedly
save the planet, since it is run by politicians who are motivated by
personal greed and ego.

> What good is a high IQ if you do absolutely nothing with it. What good
> is a college degree if you do nothing with it.

I could invent something to extend the human lifetime to 200 years and
eliminate all disease, but what would that accomplish besides rampant
overpopulation? For all the great inventors that have lived they have
never been able to surmount one obstacle, and that is religion telling
people that no matter how bad they are, they still may have a shot at
heaven.

> If you are a person of average intelligence but you have vision, drive,
> ambition, energy, and willing to work your ass off you will most
> definately find whatever you want out of life.

What I want out of life is just for the human race to wake up and
realize that 1 billion people living in harmony with the planet is far
better than 10 billion people trashing it and thinking that technology
will save their sorry asses. I look at the really big picture and nobody
gets it. I can make a nice living for myself but I can't fix the whole
planet. That single point makes whatever I do pretty irrelevant so I go
out and ride and zone out.

> Our motto around here is..."Hustling gets it done, you want it go get
> it. It ain't coming to you baby" Seems to work. ;-)
>
> Maggie

Maybe in another hundred years reality will set in and people will get
where I am coming from, but by then it will be just a note in history.
I try to bring up my kids and grandkids as well as possible and not to
worry about making a boss just a little richer. That makes more sense to me.
Bill Baka

Bill Sornson
June 10th 05, 11:21 PM
Bill Baka wrote:
> Maggie wrote:

>> Successful intelligence is defined as that set of mental abilities
>> used to achieve one's goals in life.
>
> I have and i have also realized that I am not going to single handedly
> save the planet, since it is run by politicians who are motivated by
> personal greed and ego.

That's the reason...for sure!

>> What good is a high IQ if you do absolutely nothing with it. What
>> good is a college degree if you do nothing with it.

> I could invent something to extend the human lifetime to 200 years and
> eliminate all disease, but what would that accomplish besides rampant
> overpopulation?

Delusion of grandeur much?

> For all the great inventors that have lived they have
> never been able to surmount one obstacle, and that is religion telling
> people that no matter how bad they are, they still may have a shot at
> heaven.

Huh?

> Maybe in another hundred years reality will set in and people will get
> where I am coming from, but by then it will be just a note in history.

The future called. It doesn't get you, either, Bill. Said not to worry
about it though.

Feel better?!?

:-P BS

Bill Baka
June 11th 05, 01:24 AM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> Bill Baka wrote:
>
>>Maggie wrote:
>

>>>Successful intelligence is defined as that set of mental abilities
>>>used to achieve one's goals in life.
>>
>>I have and i have also realized that I am not going to single handedly
>>save the planet, since it is run by politicians who are motivated by
>>personal greed and ego.
>

> That's the reason...for sure!

Will all idiots and asses please leave the discussion area, ("Bill")?

>>>What good is a high IQ if you do absolutely nothing with it. What
>>>good is a college degree if you do nothing with it.
>

>>I could invent something to extend the human lifetime to 200 years and
>>eliminate all disease, but what would that accomplish besides rampant
>>overpopulation?
>

> Delusion of grandeur much?

No, just common sense that we actually need something to shorten the
average lifetime and make room for all the unwanted newcomers. What I
can/could do and what I feel like doing are two different areas. If I
live to be 100 there might not be any place left to ride in seclusion or
any forests to hike. In 56 years I have seen virtually ALL of my
childhood haunts paved over, so I say "Let AIDs and Ebola and SARS go"
and maybe they will thin out the population a bit. The survivors would
be healthier and better evolved than the ones who died off. Medicine
should not be used as an excuse to stop "Survival of the fittest.". If I
invented a 200 year potion I would probably kill myself fo doing that to
our poor planet.

>>For all the great inventors that have lived they have
>>never been able to surmount one obstacle, and that is religion telling
>>people that no matter how bad they are, they still may have a shot at
>>heaven.
>

> Huh?

The Vatican, via the mouthpiece called 'Pope' tells Catholics not to use
birth control and the Mexicans are about to populate us out of our own
country. We don't need religion or any more Mexicans. If you don't
understand that then you have little hope outside your personal bubble
of contentment/ignorance. We, the almighty Catholic majority united
States have declared war on the Muslims, who far outnumber us. This is
going to turn out worse that Vietnam if it is globally perceived as a
holy war, even though Bush just wants the oil. Way OT here.

>>Maybe in another hundred years reality will set in and people will get
>>where I am coming from, but by then it will be just a note in history.
>

> The future called. It doesn't get you, either, Bill. Said not to worry
> about it though.
>
> Feel better?!?

Dumb Ass that you are, in a few hundred years nothing that any of us do
will matter in the long run, unless some dimwit like Bush gets fed up
and decides to nuke the damned Muslims and actully starts WW3.

> :-P BS

Bill Baka (My bike understands better than some people).

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home