PDA

View Full Version : Commuting poll

Ken
June 6th 05, 02:38 PM
Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
/ type of bike

Ken

--
For my real email address just remove "-dispose-trash"
More of my mind dribbles at my blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

dgk
June 6th 05, 03:06 PM
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:38:41 -0400, "Ken"
> wrote:

>Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
>/ type of bike
>
>Ken

12.1 miles each way, NYC (Queens to Manhattan). I start around 6:30 AM
and get in a bit after 7:30. Homebound is around 4:15 PM and takes
maybe 10-15 minutes longer because traffic is much heavier. Bike is a
Trek 7100 I think. Around $300 hybrid type. I did put on very nice
tires after a rash of flats. Plus it has a mirror that really helps.

bryanska
June 6th 05, 03:56 PM
Minnesota / Minneapolis to Golden Valley / 11 miles / 7-8 AM

June 6th 05, 03:59 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Austin, Texas USA

3 miles each way

I leave home between 7:30-8:30 in the morning

I leave work between 6:00-7:30 in the evening

I ride a heavily modified Van Dessel Superfly - Nexus 7 Speed internal
gear hub, Surly Cross Check fork, drop handlebars, 700C wheels with
32mm semi-slick tires, fenders, Carradice Super-C bag mounted to the
seatpost using their SQR system.

Later,
Mark

Claire Petersky
June 6th 05, 04:46 PM
Ken wrote in message >...
>Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
day
>/ type of bike

1. Washingon State
2. Bellevue to Seattle and back
3. Distance -- the whole thing, summer route, is 15 miles one way. This time
of year I'm riding the whole thing, there and back. In the winter, a lot of
the time I'm just riding to one of the park and rides, reducing the trip to
6 to 10 miles, depending on which one I pick.
4. Time of day -- I'm on the road by 7:00 AM. I'm supposed to be at work by
8:15, so I'm showered and at the desk by 8:30. I work 30 hours/week, so I'm
done at 3:00, and home by 4:15. I did a lot of extra hours in December and
January, so I did more dark-hour riding this winter than I have in the past.
5. MY NEW BIKE IS HERE!!! So I'm no longer riding the REI Strada on which
I've ridden an estimated 20K of miles. I now have a Co-Motion Nor'Wester. I
will write a separate post, with pictures, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday,
giving the full low-down.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

rdclark
June 6th 05, 05:00 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Pennsylvania / into and out of Philadelphia / 13 miles each way / 8am
and 5pm / cyclocross/tourer or tourer

RichC

Fritz M
June 6th 05, 05:23 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Colorado / Longmont /
5+ miles one way /
morning and evening /
multiple bikes (but one at a time usually)

RFM

Dane Jackson
June 6th 05, 05:59 PM
Ken > wrote:
> State / city / distance / time of day / type of bike

Washington
Seattle -> Bellevue (basically the reverse of Claire) [1]
19 miles round trip
I leave home at 8-9am, I leave work 5-6pm.
Surly Crosscheck, SPD pedals, Conti TT2k 28mm tires.

[1] Whose very shiny pretty new bike I saw Thursday on the
way home. I was especially envious of the front dyno-hub.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Hemlock wasn't all that bad, Socrates decided philosophically:

Dan Cosley
June 6th 05, 05:59 PM
In article >, Dane Jackson wrote:
> Ken > wrote:
>> State / city / distance / time of day / type of bike

Minnesota, Robbinsdale->Minneapolis (U of M), 8ish miles,
time of day varies from 7am to 9pm depending, and the
bike is an old steel Fuji something from a garage sale, $35.
(Un)fortunately my wife works at the U now too so we often
car pool, which cuts way into the biking.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)

Ravi
June 6th 05, 06:11 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

CA/Sunnyvale <-> Milpitas/~25miles Roundtrip/~8AM;~6PM/Road bike

+ravi

jhas
June 6th 05, 06:39 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

I have two routes: 12 miles or 16 miles (one way distances). I commute
from Lexington, MA to Cambridge, MA. I can ride on a great bike path
for about 8 of those miles. I typically leave the house around 7:30
(give or take) and get to work around 8:20. I leave work around 5pm
most days. I ride a road bike with 23mm tires, Look pedals.

Mike Latondresse
June 6th 05, 06:58 PM
"Ken" > wrote in
:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance /
> time of day / type of bike
>
> Ken

I ride over to my son's place and accompany him to work. Vancouver BC,
40k, 5:45am, fixie.

David L. Johnson
June 6th 05, 07:03 PM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:38:41 -0400, Ken wrote:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

I win for shortest distance. Pennsylvania / Bethlehem / Round trip: 3
miles / various bikes

Bike #1 Schroeder track bike, with brakes (nice days)
Bike #2 Montain bike w/ fenders and studded tires (snow/ice)
Bike #3 Old Frejus road bike with Nexus 7-speed (rain)

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

bryanska
June 6th 05, 07:08 PM
Minnesota / Minneapolis-Golden Valley / 11 miles / 7 AM and 5 PM / 1992
Schwinn Tempo roadie w/ 105 stuff, SPD pedals, Cinelli Contact bars and
a sh1tload of LEDs.

Neil Cherry
June 6th 05, 07:26 PM
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:38:41 -0400, Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Monroe Twp, to MIddletown NJ (20 miles one way)
Raod bike with trailer
Morning 7 AM
Evening 6 PM

Why do bike commuters almost always give 1 way mileage? :-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

rdclark
June 6th 05, 07:40 PM
Neil Cherry wrote:
Why do bike commuters almost always give 1 way mileage? :-)

Seriously, I think it's because the basic unit of measurement is "the
ride." And commuting generally involves two rides, not one.

RichC

Mee Too
June 6th 05, 08:40 PM
"Ken" > wrote in message
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
> day / type of bike

I ride from Bountiful, Utah (Bench) to Salt Lake City, Utah - No I am not
Mormon!!!

Distance is 7.5 miles each way... Speeds upto 40mph for the first 1.7 miles
down the hillside at 2:00pm. Takes 25 minutes to get to work.

Return trip is 7.5 miles, the last 1.7 miles is an average 12-15% grade up
hill, and the trip home averages 45 minutes. This is at 2:00am, and is a
nice and cool ride at that time of night. I use the blinkies, and also wear
a neon jacket for safety at night.

My bike is a Kona Dew Deluxe Hibred, that has been perfect for my type of
commute!

....steve

June 6th 05, 10:54 PM
rdclark wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
> Why do bike commuters almost always give 1 way mileage? :-)
> >
> ...commuting generally involves two rides, not one.

I think it's because lots of us can multiply by two. ;-)

> Seriously, I think it's because the basic unit of measurement is "the
> ride."

When I don't do my commute by the same route out & back, it's usually
because there's a recreation ride built in. In that case, the
recreation part can be anything from one extra mile to 15 extra miles!

- Frank Krygowski

June 6th 05, 10:56 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Youngstown, Ohio, 7 miles each way, time varies greatly with teaching
schedule (currently riding in about noon, riding home about 9 PM), but
only two or three days a week. Part-time summer.) Bike is a 1972
Raleigh Super Course with perhaps two components still original.

- Frank Krygowski

Matt O'Toole
June 7th 05, 12:02 AM
Ken wrote:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time
> of day / type of bike

I don't really commute because I work from home, but I probably do 40-50 miles a
week running errands and poking around. In the dead of winter when the roads
are bad I probably do half that. This is in addition to my "real" riding.

Matt O.

Claire Petersky
June 7th 05, 12:05 AM
Dane Jackson wrote in message ...
>Ken > wrote:
>> State / city / distance / time of day / type of bike
>
>Washington
>Seattle -> Bellevue (basically the reverse of Claire) [1]
>19 miles round trip
>I leave home at 8-9am, I leave work 5-6pm.
>Surly Crosscheck, SPD pedals, Conti TT2k 28mm tires.
>
>[1] Whose very shiny pretty new bike I saw Thursday on the
>way home. I was especially envious of the front dyno-hub.

It's always fun to run into Dane going the opposite way. It's not that
unusual going into work -- I have to be running a bit late to see him -- but
because of my early return, I rarely see him when we're both coming home. He
was heading home early that day on a fluke.

I remember one time I had an appointment on my side of the lake first thing,
and didn't head in to work until practically 11:00 AM. I was surprised to
see Dane coming the opposite way while riding in -- he also had some odd
thing that came up that caused him to be heading in late that day, too.

Then, there's this guy I see all the time on my way to work, coming the
other way. I've seen him for years -- sandy brown hair, varying facial hair
depending on the season, little round gold-rimmed glasses. Just one time
about a month ago, I was going into work relatively late -- around 10:00
AM -- and there he was on the bridge heading east. It made me wonder why
this just happened to be the time that we would pass each other about two
hours later than we normally would. It's one of those odd breaks in routine
that create coincidences that happen from time to time.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Claire Petersky
June 7th 05, 12:06 AM
Mike Latondresse wrote in message ...

>I ride over to my son's place and accompany him to work. Vancouver BC,
>40k, 5:45am, fixie.

That's painfully early. I just started this fall getting up at 6:00 AM, and
I'm barely surviving.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Gooserider
June 7th 05, 12:09 AM
I commute 18.5 miles each way--Homosassa FL to Hernando FL. I do it on a
Schwinn Peloton road bike, and it takes me 1hr 15 min to get to work, and 55
minutes to get home. It's uphill to the office. Yes, we have hills in
Florida.

Mike Latondresse
June 7th 05, 12:42 AM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in
:

> Mike Latondresse wrote in message ...
>
>>I ride over to my son's place and accompany him to work. Vancouver
>>BC, 40k, 5:45am, fixie.
>
> That's painfully early. I just started this fall getting up at
> 6:00 AM, and I'm barely surviving.

Actually I need time to have breakfast and wake up so I get up at 4:45.

trg
June 7th 05, 12:55 AM
"Ken" > a écrit dans le message de
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken
>
> --
> For my real email address just remove "-dispose-trash"
> More of my mind dribbles at my blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
> My personal website: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Paris, France -> Paris, France 3km each way, fixie
or
Paris, France -> Paris, France 20 + km each way

Flextime

Brian Sanderson
June 7th 05, 12:59 AM
Vancouver, BC.

North Delta - to - Richmond and back.

6 AM start.

17km route (10+ miles)

3:30 PM return.

2 Major and 2 Minor grades. (in order of elevation/slope: Nordel Way, Alex
Fraser Bridge, 84th ave, Annacis On-ramp.)

Standing records: (to Richmond) 40:38 (return trip) 57:10

Commute to workplace takes avg. 22 mins by automobile (allowances made for
morning rush hour)

3 Bikes: 1."Freddy Fender" - a 35 to 40 pound 18 speed tank with fenders,
lights, bulletproof tires, etc. A hybrid that I only ride in the rain. 2.
"Black Beauty" - 24 speed hardtail for winter riding. 3. "The Italian
Job" - a 12 speed Marinoni that I ride when the weather's nice.

The unreachable goal: sub 30 min time (to work).

Earl Bollinger
June 7th 05, 01:23 AM
Grapevine Texas to Addison Texas 46 miles round trip (23 miles one way).
Three to five times a week depending on how bad the weather is, or if I have
errands I really have to run like doctor appointments and such..
I typically leave about 5:30AM in order to beat the rush hour traffic as I
have a 5 mile stretch that really danerously sucks at rush hour.
I also leave work at about 5:30 PM or later to run that 5 mile stretch after
rush hour (it takes a while to get there).
I am currently using a Windsor Tourist as the commuter bike, with Panniers
for stuff. I also have extra headlights and LED tailights on it as well.
I consider it a valuable blessing in that I actually have the opportunity to
commute by bike, as so many people just don't have the time to do it.
Plus we have a gym at work with his and her shower rooms too. Biking Heaven
so to speak. And I can keep my bike in my office too.
It takes me about 30-40 minutes longer by bike than by automobile. The car
traffic at rush hour is just atrochious. But by bike it is pretty nice.
Especially the early morning dawn ride into work. Of course currently the
late afternoon ride home after work sucks in the summer.
But that is good training for the Hotter N'Hell Hundred ride in late August.
:)

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
> day / type of bike
>
> Ken
>
> --
> For my real email address just remove "-dispose-trash"
> More of my mind dribbles at my blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
> My personal website: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

mbarbee1
June 7th 05, 01:46 AM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken

I commute from DC to Alexandria, VA. The one way distance is about 8.5
miles, although I often lengthen the distance on nice afternoons. I
leave home anywhere from 7-9. Flexible hours. I usually come home
after 6. I have a 2002 Specialized Sirrus for commuting.

Zoot Katz
June 7th 05, 02:43 AM
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:46:56 -0700,
>, "Claire Petersky"
> wrote:

>5. MY NEW BIKE IS HERE!!!

whoop! whoop!
--
zk

Zoot Katz
June 7th 05, 03:00 AM
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:03:28 -0400,
>, "David L. Johnson"
> wrote:

>I win for shortest distance. Pennsylvania / Bethlehem / Round trip: 3
>miles / various bikes

Well, I wake up, make make coffee, have a shower, and I'm there. Don't
even have to park bike. It never moved.
--
zk

David Hamilton
June 7th 05, 03:31 AM
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:38:41 -0400, "Ken"
> wrote:

>Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
>/ type of bike
>
>Ken

Seattle, downtown to downtown. 3 miles round trip. (downhill both
directions!!)
Mountain bike. 12 hour shifts vary I'm on the road at about 4:30AM
and 5:30 PM

Collin
June 7th 05, 03:53 AM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken

Illinois / Chicago / 5.8 miles each way / all times (late night if
there's some sort of even to go to / fixed gear

lokey
June 7th 05, 03:57 AM
I commuted from south west Guelph a-a-l-l-l-l-l-l to east Guelph.

Not a long commute by any standards.

Distance: 8 km one way. Best time, more due to traffic, 13:03

Home->work was mostly down hill to the river and then flat.

Work->home was, not surprisingly, the opposite.

Working shifts I could be going either way in the morning or evening. Oh
how I feared the uphill climb, exhausted after a 12 hour shift.

I went for a stretch of over two years commuting every day - through
winter snow storms, spring showers, you name it. Then I overslept one day
and had to forgo the bike commute.

--
'As far as I'm concerned,
I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue.'

Neil Cherry
June 7th 05, 04:41 AM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:00:26 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
> Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:03:28 -0400,
>, "David L. Johnson"
> wrote:
>
>>I win for shortest distance. Pennsylvania / Bethlehem / Round trip: 3
>>miles / various bikes
>
> Well, I wake up, make make coffee, have a shower, and I'm there. Don't
> even have to park bike. It never moved.

Well your commute sucks! ;-) No time on the bike.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog

Zoot Katz
June 7th 05, 05:23 AM
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:41:48 -0500, >,
Neil Cherry > wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:00:26 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
>> Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:03:28 -0400,
>, "David L. Johnson"
> wrote:
>>
>>>I win for shortest distance. Pennsylvania / Bethlehem / Round trip: 3
>>>miles / various bikes
>>
>> Well, I wake up, make make coffee, have a shower, and I'm there. Don't
>> even have to park bike. It never moved.
>
>Well your commute sucks! ;-) No time on the bike.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been late..
--
zk

Tom Keats
June 7th 05, 06:26 AM
In article >,
Mike Latondresse > writes:
> "Claire Petersky" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Mike Latondresse wrote in message ...
>>
>>>I ride over to my son's place and accompany him to work. Vancouver
>>>BC, 40k, 5:45am, fixie.
>>
>> That's painfully early. I just started this fall getting up at
>> 6:00 AM, and I'm barely surviving.
>>
> Actually I need time to have breakfast and wake up so I get up at 4:45.

That's pretty much what I was doing during my
construction labour stint. I'm not sure my
riding then can be called "commuting" as it was
all within Vancouver proper, to a variety of
sites, and often to multiple sites within a day.
The furthest was on Belmont St, which I guess
is about 20 or 25 km from home (which is near
Main & 41st.) The closest was five blocks from
home. Other sites were at Powell & Gore,
Broadway & Alma, West 21st & Carnarvon, 8th & Oak,
and some others. I no longer had my computer, so
I didn't keep track of distances.

I need to savour a cup of coffee first thing
in the morning. And then another one.

Getting up early is one thing, turning in at
around 9:00 PM is quite another.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Stephen Harding
June 7th 05, 11:16 AM
Ken wrote:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

MA / Northampton - Amherst / 22-40 miles depending on mood
and route / 8-ish am to work; 6-ish pm to home / Trek 520.

SMH

max
June 7th 05, 11:41 AM
In article >,
"Ken" > wrote:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken

Daily, 24/7/365 (rotating shift), all weather, all temps, all year.
7.5 to 8.5 miles each way. St. Charles Il to Fermilab (batavia). Fox
River trail to Illinois Prairie Path Batavia spur, mostly.

I use either a disc brake hardtail MTB with Nokian 294 studs (winter) or
Nokian 2.4 XXX quasi-slicks (wet weather or just because), or a 10 year
old Trek aluminum road bike (for fun). I tend to use the MTB more at
night.

Last year i commuted about 3K miles.

I'll be adding a 36" unicycle (a "coker"), to the commuting mix later
this summer. :-)

..max

max
June 7th 05, 11:48 AM
In article >,
Mike Latondresse > wrote:

> > That's painfully early. I just started this fall getting up at
> > 6:00 AM, and I'm barely surviving.
> >
> Actually I need time to have breakfast and wake up so I get up at 4:45.

That's about when i get up. i have my General Foods International
French Press Coffee Moment, putz around and hit the road at 7:00.

Depending on whether i'm riding with my slowpoke commuting buddies, i'm
at work by 7:30 or 7:45, changed, fresh and perky in time for morning
briefing at 8.

I keep a "sort of" extensive wardrobe at work, so i have a large
collection of fresh, ironed clothes to chose from each day, a strategy
i've tried to promote with other riders with varying success.

Riding in definitely gives me an attention/focus/alertness advantage
over pretty much all the non-riders in the morning.

..max

mark
June 7th 05, 02:33 PM
"Ken" > wrote in message
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken

Summit county, CO / 5-7 miles one way depending on route / mostly leaving
for work at noon or later, mostly starting home 9PM or later. If I expect to
finish work after midnight I drive or use the bus.

Winter bike: mid '80s Stumpjumper w/ Nokian studded tires, SKS fenders,
mustache bars, Brooks B-17

Summer bike: touring bike, SKS fenders, 26 x 1.75" tires

Cateye LED headlight, LED headlamp, lots of LED taillights on me and the
bike.
--
mark

Mark Hickey
June 7th 05, 02:52 PM
Zoot Katz > wrote:

>Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:41:48 -0500, >,
>Neil Cherry > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:00:26 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
>>> Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:03:28 -0400,
>, "David L. Johnson"

>>> Well, I wake up, make make coffee, have a shower, and I'm there. Don't
>>> even have to park bike. It never moved.
>>
>>Well your commute sucks! ;-) No time on the bike.
>
>You wouldn't believe how many times I've been late..

Sounds like a speed issue to me... Fabrizio would never be late (well,
if he actually held a job during the riding season, that is).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

james
June 7th 05, 03:20 PM
downtown denver to southeast denver, about 9.5 miles each way. 6:30 -
4 or around then

have trek 7200 hybrid with runk rack, grocery pannier when needed for
big stuff

takes about 45 minutes to work, 40 minutes back. some decent grades
headed to work.

June 7th 05, 04:19 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken

California
San Diego
25.6 miles each way (4 days a week)
7-9 A.M., ~7-9 P.M.
Fixed gear

Tom

Steve B.
June 7th 05, 05:09 PM
"Ken" > wrote in message ...
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
> day / type of bike
>
> Ken

- Freeport to Brooklyn, NY 25-29 ea, way

- Early AM to 9'ish / Rtrn before dinner

- Usually leave car at work - ride home - ride back in AM, sometimes RT

Sometimes on my Heron Road if leaving clothes at work, sometimes on my
Miyata tourer if doing RT

Steve B.

dgk
June 7th 05, 05:16 PM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:31:51 -0700, David Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:38:41 -0400, "Ken"
> wrote:
>
>>Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
>>/ type of bike
>>
>>Ken
>
>Seattle, downtown to downtown. 3 miles round trip. (downhill both
>directions!!)
>Mountain bike. 12 hour shifts vary I'm on the road at about 4:30AM
>and 5:30 PM

Please explain the "downhill both directions" part. Sounds like a good
basis for perpetual motion.

Pat Lamb
June 7th 05, 05:26 PM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> Zoot Katz > wrote:
>

>>Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:41:48 -0500, >,
>>Neil Cherry > wrote:

>, "David L. Johnson"

>>>Well your commute sucks! ;-) No time on the bike.
>>
>>You wouldn't believe how many times I've been late..
>

> Sounds like a speed issue to me... Fabrizio would never be late (well,
> if he actually held a job during the riding season, that is).

Maybe it's time for a titanium coffee pot?

Pat

Matt O'Toole
June 7th 05, 08:11 PM
Mark Hickey wrote:

> Sounds like a speed issue to me... Fabrizio would never be late (well,
> if he actually held a job during the riding season, that is).

A friend just bought a cool new Pegoretti -- the model name is "8:30 AM." This
is what time Mr. Pegoretti starts work. I'm sure Fabs would have 50 miles in by
that time though.

Matt O.

dgk
June 7th 05, 08:37 PM
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:09:09 -0400, "Steve B." >
wrote:

>"Ken" > wrote in message ...
>> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
>> day / type of bike
>>
>> Ken
>
>- Freeport to Brooklyn, NY 25-29 ea, way
>
>- Early AM to 9'ish / Rtrn before dinner
>
>- Usually leave car at work - ride home - ride back in AM, sometimes RT
>
>Sometimes on my Heron Road if leaving clothes at work, sometimes on my
>Miyata tourer if doing RT
>
>Steve B.

That is a good commute.

David Hamilton
June 7th 05, 11:13 PM
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:16:09 -0400, dgk
> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:31:51 -0700, David Hamilton
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:38:41 -0400, "Ken"
> wrote:
>>

>Please explain the "downhill both directions" part. Sounds like a good
>basis for perpetual motion.

Simple actually, there are some elevators on the Seattle water front.
I live two blocks above the water front and work on the water. so,,,,
when I come home from work I take the elevator up the hill and coast
down Western to my condo.

(If I wasn't so lazy I could make my commute uphill in both
directions)
Dave

Paladin 3000
June 8th 05, 12:39 AM
I kinda commute.
1. Ontario Canada
2. Toronto
3. distance to work from home 2 Km (approx. 1.5 miles)
usually ride 50 Km (approx 30 miles) to work and then go
straight home afterwards
4. To work about 1200 hrs. To home 0015 hrs
5. Usually my mountain bike (CCM Slick), I am in the process of
fine tuning my Triumph Road bike. When it's good to go will probably
doing 80 km before work. :-)

Claire Petersky
June 8th 05, 03:02 AM
max wrote in message

>Riding in definitely gives me an attention/focus/alertness advantage
>over pretty much all the non-riders in the morning.

I don't know, I felt like I was snoozing on the bike this morning, the way
everyone was passing me.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Patrick Lamb
June 8th 05, 03:13 AM
Huntsville, Alabama. Morning and evening, touring bike. 6 miles in,
unless it's nice, in which case it's 9 miles, unless it's really nice
and I don't have a meeting, when it may be 12 miles. 6-8 miles home.
Most days. Sometimes a bit longer.

What's that yellow thing up in the sky?

Pat

Email address works as is.

Mark Hickey
June 8th 05, 03:30 AM
David Hamilton > wrote:

> wrote:

>>Please explain the "downhill both directions" part. Sounds like a good
>>basis for perpetual motion.
>
>Simple actually, there are some elevators on the Seattle water front.
>I live two blocks above the water front and work on the water. so,,,,
>when I come home from work I take the elevator up the hill and coast
>down Western to my condo.

Oh, that's just SO wrong... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

June 8th 05, 03:58 AM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Florida
Jacksonville
27 miles round trip
7:15 a.m. to 8:05 a.m.
5:00 p.m. to 5:50 p.m.
Trek 7700 or LeMond Zurich - depending on mood

Art

Dave Pushee
June 8th 05, 04:17 AM
Ken wrote:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike
>
> Ken

Spring to Fall only, 2 to 5 days/week depending on weather

NH, Amherst to Nashua
13 to 18 miles each way depending on mood, energy, weather, and
available time.
7-8am and 5:30 - 6:30 pm

Lemond B-A.

June 8th 05, 04:23 AM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> David Hamilton > wrote:
>
> >Simple actually, there are some elevators on the Seattle water front.
> >I live two blocks above the water front and work on the water. so,,,,
> >when I come home from work I take the elevator up the hill and coast
> >down Western to my condo.
>
> Oh, that's just SO wrong... ;-)

Not so, not so!

In fact, I think I'll talk to the city. If Seattle can get elevators,
I deserve at least an escalator for the big hill coming home!

- Frank Krygowski

Zoot Katz
June 8th 05, 05:32 AM
7 Jun 2005 20:23:18 -0700,
. com>,
wrote:

>In fact, I think I'll talk to the city. If Seattle can get elevators,
>I deserve at least an escalator for the big hill coming home!

Ride where Benjamin Lewis does.
They have staircases instead of sidewalks.
--
zk

Paul Turner
June 8th 05, 05:53 AM
Ken asked:

> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
> day / type of bike

Chicago
3.5 miles each way
8:30 a.m. 6:30 p.m. most days
Touring bike (Cannondale T800)

Something unusual about my commute is that the garage where I park opens
off the lowest level of a three level street. Navigating between levels is
something you don't get to do everywhere.

--
Paul Turner

dgk
June 8th 05, 01:55 PM
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:53:39 -0500, "Paul Turner" > wrote:

>Ken asked:
>
>> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
>> day / type of bike
>
>Chicago
>3.5 miles each way
>8:30 a.m. 6:30 p.m. most days
>Touring bike (Cannondale T800)
>
>Something unusual about my commute is that the garage where I park opens
>off the lowest level of a three level street. Navigating between levels is
>something you don't get to do everywhere.

Three level street?

Claire Petersky
June 8th 05, 03:36 PM
wrote in message
. com>...

>Mark Hickey wrote:
>> David Hamilton > wrote:
>>
>> >Simple actually, there are some elevators on the Seattle water front.
>> >I live two blocks above the water front and work on the water. so,,,,
>> >when I come home from work I take the elevator up the hill and coast
>> >down Western to my condo.
>>
>> Oh, that's just SO wrong... ;-)
>
>Not so, not so!
>
>In fact, I think I'll talk to the city. If Seattle can get elevators,
>I deserve at least an escalator for the big hill coming home!

When you live in a city with hills as steep as Seattle's, you can have
municipal elevators, too.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Dukester
June 8th 05, 07:38 PM
"Ken" > wrote in message
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of
day
> / type of bike

Dang, take a few days off from the group and see all the threads I miss?

Oxford, Mississippi
7 miles in
10 miles home
6:00 am in
3:00 pm home
Peugeot Nice (dry days)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/dukes909/MVC-027F.jpg
Schwinn Crisscross (wet days)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/dukes909/MVC-026F.jpg

Cheers!
Duke

June 8th 05, 09:00 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:

> When you live in a city with hills as steep as Seattle's, you can have
> municipal elevators, too.

Hmm. I wonder how Seattle compares with Pittsburgh? I've climbed some
astonishing hills there.

- Frank Krygowski

gds
June 8th 05, 09:56 PM
wrote:
> Hmm. I wonder how Seattle compares with Pittsburgh? I've climbed some
> astonishing hills there.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

>From short trips to both cities I found the hills similar. However I
only ran them and never cycled in either place.

lokey
June 8th 05, 10:09 PM
"lokey" > wrote in message

> I commuted from south west Guelph a-a-l-l-l-l-l-l to east Guelph.
>
> Not a long commute by any standards.
>
> Distance: 8 km one way. Best time, more due to traffic, 13:03
>
> Home->work was mostly down hill to the river and then flat.
>
> Work->home was, not surprisingly, the opposite.
>
> Working shifts I could be going either way in the morning or evening. Oh
> how I feared the uphill climb, exhausted after a 12 hour shift.
>
> I went for a stretch of over two years commuting every day - through
> winter snow storms, spring showers, you name it. Then I overslept one day
> and had to forgo the bike commute.

Oh, I forgot to list bike type:

One of two mountain bikes with knobby tires or all purpose: Either a Kona
hardtail or a full suspension. I like ruggedness over lightness.

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m
June 8th 05, 11:56 PM
Ken wrote:

> If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day /
> type of bike

Nevada / Henderson / 5 miles one-way / 7:00AM / folding mountain bike or
folding recumbent, depending upon state of repair.

Paul Turner
June 9th 05, 03:52 AM
dgk wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:53:39 -0500, "Paul Turner" > wrote:

>>Something unusual about my commute is that the garage where I park opens
>>off the lowest level of a three level street. Navigating between levels
>>is
>>something you don't get to do everywhere.
>
> Three level street?

Yes, South Water Street. It's one of the few places in Chicago to do a
little climbing, because it has ramps going from level to level. There's a
good picture and chart at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-decker_streets_in_Chicago

Lower deck of the Michigan Avenue bridge is also on my route.

--
Paul Turner

Dukester
June 9th 05, 01:13 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> > When you live in a city with hills as steep as Seattle's, you can have
> > municipal elevators, too.
>
> Hmm. I wonder how Seattle compares with Pittsburgh? I've climbed some
> astonishing hills there.

My parents were from Pittsburgh and I lived there for a decade or so. It
does have some astonishing hills. Check out "The Steps of Pittsburgh" by
Bob Regan which documents the history of steps there and has plenty of
photos, some of which are amazing:
http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/neighborhoods/city_steps.shtml .

Book cover here: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7370000/7377453.jpg

Cycling related: (According to the WQED page, Regan is an avid cyclist which
I suppose would account for why he is wearing a cycling helmet while
discussing and climbing the steps at the same time.)

Cheers!
Duke

jj
June 9th 05, 01:35 PM
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:13:10 -0500, "Dukester"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> > When you live in a city with hills as steep as Seattle's, you can have
>> > municipal elevators, too.
>>
>> Hmm. I wonder how Seattle compares with Pittsburgh? I've climbed some
>> astonishing hills there.
>
>My parents were from Pittsburgh and I lived there for a decade or so. It
>does have some astonishing hills. Check out "The Steps of Pittsburgh" by
>Bob Regan which documents the history of steps there and has plenty of
>photos, some of which are amazing:
>http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/neighborhoods/city_steps.shtml .
>
>Book cover here: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7370000/7377453.jpg
>
>Cycling related: (According to the WQED page, Regan is an avid cyclist which
>I suppose would account for why he is wearing a cycling helmet while
>discussing and climbing the steps at the same time.)
>
>Cheers!
>Duke

I grew up in Pittsburgh and I remember as a youngster my dad driving me by
some of the steeper streets downtown across from the Pittsburgh Steel Mills
(which is near a suburb named 'Homestead', not in the big city of
Pittsburgh).

One time we drove along the top street and I remember hollering and begging
him -not- to drive down that street, haha! He didn't. I was sure we'd flip
over or something.

jj

Dukester
June 9th 05, 01:44 PM
"jj" > wrote in message

> I grew up in Pittsburgh and I remember as a youngster my dad driving me by
> some of the steeper streets downtown across from the Pittsburgh Steel
Mills
> (which is near a suburb named 'Homestead', not in the big city of
> Pittsburgh).
>
> One time we drove along the top street and I remember hollering and
begging
> him -not- to drive down that street, haha! He didn't. I was sure we'd flip
> over or something.

Ha! My parents lived in Homestead when they were first married. My Dad was
from Hazlewood. Later they moved to North Versailles. All of them have
serious hills!

Cheers!
Duke

dgk
June 9th 05, 01:59 PM
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 21:52:49 -0500, "Paul Turner" > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:53:39 -0500, "Paul Turner" > wrote:
>
>>>Something unusual about my commute is that the garage where I park opens
>>>off the lowest level of a three level street. Navigating between levels
>>>is
>>>something you don't get to do everywhere.
>>
>> Three level street?
>
>Yes, South Water Street. It's one of the few places in Chicago to do a
>little climbing, because it has ramps going from level to level. There's a
>good picture and chart at
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-decker_streets_in_Chicago
>
>Lower deck of the Michigan Avenue bridge is also on my route.

Oh, very neat. Thanks. I was in Chicago a few years ago and didn't
notice that.

June 9th 05, 03:33 PM
Dukester wrote:
> Check out "The Steps of Pittsburgh" by
> Bob Regan which documents the history of steps there and has plenty of
> photos, some of which are amazing:
> http://www.wqed.org/tv/pghist/neighborhoods/city_steps.shtml .

Yes, I've been meaning to check that book out, and perhaps hike a bunch
of the steps.

> Book cover here: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7370000/7377453.jpg
>
> Cycling related: (According to the WQED page, Regan is an avid cyclist which
> I suppose would account for why he is wearing a cycling helmet while
> discussing and climbing the steps at the same time.)

:-) I figured he's been reading our helmet threads, and has figured
out when helmets _really_ make sense!

Let's see: Steep, somewhat crumbling concrete steps, many stories
high? Why, what's the downside to wearing a helmet? Don't want to be
an organ donor, right? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

June 9th 05, 05:17 PM
Ken wrote:
> Just a little curious. If you commute, state / city / distance / time of day
> / type of bike

Honolulu, HI
1.5 miles each way, but with a nice climb in both directions
9-10 am / 5-6 pm
1. Royal Scot (British 3-speed, mid-1970s)
2. Spec ialized Sirrus BB

Matt O'Toole
June 9th 05, 07:22 PM
wrote:

> Claire Petersky wrote:

>> When you live in a city with hills as steep as Seattle's, you can
>> have municipal elevators, too.

> Hmm. I wonder how Seattle compares with Pittsburgh? I've climbed
> some astonishing hills there.

I think Pittsburgh has Seattle beat.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole
June 9th 05, 07:25 PM
wrote:

> :-) I figured he's been reading our helmet threads, and has figured
> out when helmets _really_ make sense!
>
> Let's see: Steep, somewhat crumbling concrete steps, many stories
> high? Why, what's the downside to wearing a helmet? Don't want to be
> an organ donor, right? ;-)

You forgot to mention months of snow and ice!

Matt O.

Roy Owen
June 9th 05, 07:28 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> wrote:
>

>>Claire Petersky wrote:
>

>>>When you live in a city with hills as steep as Seattle's, you can
>>>have municipal elevators, too.
>

>>Hmm. I wonder how Seattle compares with Pittsburgh? I've climbed
>>some astonishing hills there.
>

> I think Pittsburgh has Seattle beat.
>
> Matt O.

Don't you need suction cups on your tires in Pittsburgh?

--
Roy Owen

Keep the leather side up,
and the rubber side down.

Matt O'Toole
June 9th 05, 10:02 PM
Roy Owen wrote:

> Don't you need suction cups on your tires in Pittsburgh?

Just about. It may be the hilliest city in America. It is that I've seen.

Matt O.

June 10th 05, 12:51 AM
Live: Beltsville, MD
Work: College Park, MD
Distance: ~11 miles round trip
Time of day: 8-10 am, 6-8 pm
Type of bike: fixed gear or touring

Dan

Alex Colvin
June 10th 05, 04:06 AM
>Yes, South Water Street. It's one of the few places in Chicago to do a
>little climbing, because it has ramps going from level to level. There's a
>good picture and chart at

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-decker_streets_in_Chicago

So that's what Lower North Aufzoo St looks like!

--
mac the naïf

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home