PDA

View Full Version : Deal of the century, I think...

abrown360
June 6th 05, 02:52 PM
So I bought a bike, a Giant OCR 2. However, it has ALL ULTEGRA
COMPONENTS. I paid 565 + Shipping for this bike. This is less than the
value of the Ultegra stuff itself right?

I am planning on buying a Surly Cross-Check frame in the next few
months, once I get used to road bike riding and decide what size is
best for me. I can trick out the Cross-Check with the ultegra stuff
(right?), and I will have a sweeeet setup.

I really appreciate the feedback the people in this group have given
me. Buying a new bike is TOUGH, and I have learned a lot from you all
in the past couple weeks.

My copy of Zinn's Guide to Road Bikes is on the way, and I cant wait to
start tinkering. Thanks again to you all, ESPECIALLY CHALO!!!

-ab

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 6th 05, 07:38 PM
> So I bought a bike, a Giant OCR 2. However, it has ALL ULTEGRA
> COMPONENTS. I paid 565 + Shipping for this bike. This is less than the
> value of the Ultegra stuff itself right?

Used bike or new? If new, something seems amiss. If you already have the
bike, that's at least one less thing to worry about. But you're talking
about a price that's *way* below wholesale for that model, and things that
seem too good to be true often are.

If it's a used bike, in good shape, and the right size, I'd say you've done
quite well. Even if you had to pay somebody $200 to overhaul the whole bike,
and a bit more to change out the stem & bars to the right size, you're still
doing OK.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"abrown360" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So I bought a bike, a Giant OCR 2. However, it has ALL ULTEGRA
> COMPONENTS. I paid 565 + Shipping for this bike. This is less than the
> value of the Ultegra stuff itself right?
>
> I am planning on buying a Surly Cross-Check frame in the next few
> months, once I get used to road bike riding and decide what size is
> best for me. I can trick out the Cross-Check with the ultegra stuff
> (right?), and I will have a sweeeet setup.
>
> I really appreciate the feedback the people in this group have given
> me. Buying a new bike is TOUGH, and I have learned a lot from you all
> in the past couple weeks.
>
> My copy of Zinn's Guide to Road Bikes is on the way, and I cant wait to
> start tinkering. Thanks again to you all, ESPECIALLY CHALO!!!
>
> -ab

Chalo
June 6th 05, 08:40 PM
abrown360 wrote:
> So I bought a bike, a Giant OCR 2. However, it has ALL ULTEGRA
> COMPONENTS. I paid 565 + Shipping for this bike. This is less than the
> value of the Ultegra stuff itself right?
>
> Thanks again to you all, ESPECIALLY CHALO!!!

Glad to be of service. I don't know what I could have done to
facilitate that deal, but I hope I can do that well for myself at new
bike time! I hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

Chalo Colina

abrown360
June 6th 05, 10:55 PM
Bike is gently used, less than 200 miles on it. It is a 2002 model year
that has been sitting in someone's garage for most of the past three
years. I plan on changing the stem, and buying some different pedals
and tires.

abrown360
June 6th 05, 10:56 PM
You sent me a personal email recommending a good shop in Seattle. The
guys at Counterbalance were really nice, and are gonna help me buy my
cross check frame in a few months.

I will be lookin for ya out there chalo. I heard you're hard to miss.

-ab

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 6th 05, 11:15 PM
> Bike is gently used, less than 200 miles on it. It is a 2002 model year
> that has been sitting in someone's garage for most of the past three
> years. I plan on changing the stem, and buying some different pedals
> and tires.

Sounds perfect. You've rescued a bike from an eternal hell living in a
garage, instead of it having fun out on the road. You did a good deed and
saved $$$. What could be better?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Chalo
June 7th 05, 12:07 AM
abrown360 wrote:

> You sent me a personal email recommending a good shop in Seattle. The
> guys at Counterbalance were really nice, and are gonna help me buy my
> cross check frame in a few months.

Excellent! That's a good shop to have on your side.

> I will be lookin for ya out there chalo. I heard you're hard to miss.

Hard to miss, perhaps... easy to overtake, certainly.

Chalo Colina

Ryan Cousineau
June 7th 05, 04:01 AM
In article >,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote:

[Giant OCR2 w/Ultegra, US$565]

> > Bike is gently used, less than 200 miles on it. It is a 2002 model year
> > that has been sitting in someone's garage for most of the past three
> > years. I plan on changing the stem, and buying some different pedals
> > and tires.
>
> Sounds perfect. You've rescued a bike from an eternal hell living in a
> garage, instead of it having fun out on the road. You did a good deed and
> saved $$$. What could be better?

But, but...it's a compact frame! Compact frames cause sore backs, rotten
teeth, deficient palmares, diabetes, and cancert. Compact frames should
not be taken without the supervision of an expert bike fit, or under any
circumstances. If you purchase a compact frame, do not ride it: send it
to me for safe disposal.

That's an _excellent_ deal. Enjoy that machine.

Compact frames=a better chance a used bike will fit you,

abrown360
June 7th 05, 04:38 AM
but its a compact frame? but nothing. until i figure out my riding
style, i will use this frame. if you read my post, it says i plan on
moving to a cross-check (surly) within the next few months.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home