PDA

View Full Version : Tubes, Flats, Etiquette

Roy Zipris
June 6th 05, 08:25 PM
I'm curious what folks think about the following.

On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.

Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
five years.

I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
experience? --Roy Zipris

gds
June 6th 05, 08:32 PM
In our group folks always contribute tubes (and CO2) and the general
feeling is that the payback will happen eventually when you need one
donated back to you.
It might work differently if there were folks who were always taking
and never contributing but that doesn't seem to happen so it pretty
much goes along without the need to keep score.
But certainly a "thank you" is part of the process.

bryanska
June 6th 05, 08:58 PM
The dude owes you $5. 'Specially since he didn't offer profuse thanks,
which is called for, even in today's less polite society.

Next time you guys wind up in some place of business together, get it
back by asking for a beer or sammich.

David L. Johnson
June 6th 05, 10:19 PM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:25:45 -0700, Roy Zipris wrote:

> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.

I always carry two spare tubes. One is brand new, the other has several
patches. If someone (other than you, Roy...) needs an extra tube, I give
'em the old one. That way I don't feel the guy owes me much except thanks
for saving him from a long walk home.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Michael Warner
June 6th 05, 11:22 PM
On 6 Jun 2005 12:25:45 -0700, Roy Zipris wrote:

> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience? --Roy Zipris

If it's someone I ride with regularly, I give him a replacement tube next
time (and I make sure it has the same type of valve stem). If not, I either
offer to pay for it on the spot, or shout him coffee & cake afterwards.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

Claire Petersky
June 6th 05, 11:48 PM
Roy Zipris wrote in message
. com>...
>I'm curious what folks think about the following.

>I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
>care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
>attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
>etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
>experience?

I loaned someone a tube on a club ride, and when we got back to the cars, he
stripped it out of the tire and returned it to me. I would have prefered
cash, but getting the tube back was adequate.

Once I saw a guy walking a nice road bike along a road where I knew the
nearest anything was quite a few miles away. For whatever reason, his tube
was no longer operational, and he didn't have a cell phone, and he was
walking the bike along in his sidis with road cleats until he reached a
payphone to call his wife. Although I was in my car, I had my bike (and bike
bag) in the back coming home from my own ride, and gave him a new tube and
chatted with him until he got it pumped up and operational. He gave me five
bucks, which I felt was a reasonable trade.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 7th 05, 12:13 AM
> I loaned someone a tube on a club ride, and when we got back to the cars,
> he
> stripped it out of the tire and returned it to me. I would have prefered
> cash, but getting the tube back was adequate.

I would have told him to keep the tube; as often as from road hazards, tubes
are damaged from improper installation & removal. You got back, at best, a
used tube.You don't know what might have been poking it from inside the tire
either. Plus he may have been using a bit much body english when inflating
it, and weakened the area where the tube connects to the valve.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
> Roy Zipris wrote in message
> . com>...
>>I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
>>I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
>>care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
>>attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
>>etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
>>experience?
>
> I loaned someone a tube on a club ride, and when we got back to the cars,
> he
> stripped it out of the tire and returned it to me. I would have prefered
> cash, but getting the tube back was adequate.
>
> Once I saw a guy walking a nice road bike along a road where I knew the
> nearest anything was quite a few miles away. For whatever reason, his tube
> was no longer operational, and he didn't have a cell phone, and he was
> walking the bike along in his sidis with road cleats until he reached a
> payphone to call his wife. Although I was in my car, I had my bike (and
> bike
> bag) in the back coming home from my own ride, and gave him a new tube and
> chatted with him until he got it pumped up and operational. He gave me
> five
> bucks, which I felt was a reasonable trade.
>

> --
> Warm Regards,
>

> Claire Petersky
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Diablo Scott
June 7th 05, 12:13 AM
Roy Zipris wrote:

> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience? --Roy Zipris

Non-cycling etiquette would certainly demand he give you a new tube.
Your buddy may feel such a formality trivial since you ride together so
frequently and there's something to be said for paying it forward.

Personally, I'd give you two new tubes.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Frank Drackman
June 7th 05, 12:46 AM
"Roy Zipris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
> see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
> gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
> strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
> five years.
>
> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience? --Roy Zipris

I give tubes, CO2 cartridges, and anything else they need to get home to
anyone who needs it regardless of if I know them or not. Most club members
usually give me a new tube the next time that they see me but if they forget
I don't fret over it.

jj
June 7th 05, 01:02 AM
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:48:34 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
> wrote:

>Roy Zipris wrote in message
. com>...
>>I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
>>I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
>>care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
>>attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
>>etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
>>experience?
>
>I loaned someone a tube on a club ride, and when we got back to the cars, he
>stripped it out of the tire and returned it to me. I would have prefered
>cash, but getting the tube back was adequate.
>
>Once I saw a guy walking a nice road bike along a road where I knew the
>nearest anything was quite a few miles away. For whatever reason, his tube
>was no longer operational, and he didn't have a cell phone, and he was
>walking the bike along in his sidis with road cleats until he reached a
>payphone to call his wife. Although I was in my car, I had my bike (and bike
>bag) in the back coming home from my own ride, and gave him a new tube and
>chatted with him until he got it pumped up and operational. He gave me five
>bucks, which I felt was a reasonable trade.

Cool. I've never had occasion to help a fellow cyclist, but it would give
me a thrill - at least the first time. Receiving anything back in return
would seem trivial compared to the great feeling, good will and a chance to
talk to a fellow rider. Uh, typically I don't carry an assortment of tubes
or anything, but I do carry a floor pump in my car.

jj

Neil Brooks
June 7th 05, 01:08 AM
A few weeks ago, I saw a guy with a Pinarello Prince along the
roadside. Asked if he needed anything. He needed a pump.

He had deep V rims and his pump wouldn't bite on the short Presta
valve he'd inexplicably brought with him. My pump wouldn't do it
either. I gave him my spare tube (with its longer valve stem).

Not only was he profusely grateful, and offered me $5 (I told him not
to worry about it), but we rode another 20 miles when he was back
underway, after which he offered to buy me lunch at Chipotle's.

I just told him to pay it forward if he got the chance.

In that circumstance, the gratitude and the offer were payment enough.

We help each other out there, cyclists do. If you know each other,
then it's a given between friends (I'd *still* be profusely thankful
and offer compensation). If it's just some guy whose name I dont'
even know, I'd think a bit of common courtesy would have gone a long
way.

Joe Canuck
June 7th 05, 01:35 AM
Roy Zipris wrote:
> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
> see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
> gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
> strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
> five years.
>
> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience? --Roy Zipris

If it was me...

I'd offer the guy the option of cash or a new spare tube... his choice.

The later option might be more appreciated since it would save this
fellow a trip to the store. I can do the running.

My "thank you's" would have been forthcoming at some point as well, very
likely at the point I was offered the tube or perhaps when I offered him
a choice of cash or a replacement tube next time we meet up. Sometimes
the "thank you's" are delayed not because one is impolite or thoughless
but rather preoccupied with something else. In this case perhaps it was
the internal self dialogue something like this: "What I bonehead I am...
not checking on the state of my spare tube more often! Idiot! Grrrr!" :)

Not too likely I'll ever find myself in that situation since I always
carry two new spare tubes with me.

Matt O'Toole
June 7th 05, 02:02 AM
Roy Zipris wrote:

> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
> see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
> gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
> strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
> five years.
>
> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's
> your experience? --Roy Zipris

I'd offer a new tube or cash, but wouldn't expect it in return. I frequently
give this stuff away without a second thought. Eventually the favor is returned
by someone.

Matt O.

David L. Johnson
June 7th 05, 02:32 AM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:02:01 -0400, jj wrote:

> Cool. I've never had occasion to help a fellow cyclist, but it would give
> me a thrill - at least the first time. Receiving anything back in return
> would seem trivial compared to the great feeling, good will and a chance to
> talk to a fellow rider. Uh, typically I don't carry an assortment of tubes
> or anything, but I do carry a floor pump in my car.

Toss a tube in the trunk. You'll probably need it at some point, and if
you have a chance to help someone out, all the better. I keep at least
one in the back, along with old helmets and gloves. You'd be surprised
how many riders forget these -- sometimes I need them myself.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

Zoot Katz
June 7th 05, 02:43 AM
6 Jun 2005 12:25:45 -0700,
. com>, "Roy Zipris"
> wrote:

> When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
>pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.

That busted tube has worked for at least his last six flats too.
Why bother replacing it? Works fine.
--
zk

Ryan Cousineau
June 7th 05, 02:46 AM
In article . com>,
"Roy Zipris" > wrote:

> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
> see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
> gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
> strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
> five years.
>
> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience? --Roy Zipris

Well, I was in his position a few months back, and got the loan from a
clubmate who I knew I would see at the next ride (in my case, it was for
the embarrassing reason that I had a short-stem spare and needed a
long-stem).

I did the only accceptable thing: I gave him a new tube next week, and
though I didn't match the brand, I tried to be scrupulous about giving
him back a tube with a long stem and of comparable quality (he gave me a
race-grade brand-name tube, so the replacement I gave him was a
Bontrager race-grade tube, still in its chrome box; I recommend the
Bontragers as repayment tubes, because the box is very shiny and
impressive).

The philosophy here is to be generous in assistance and scrupulous in
repayment. I would have no problem in giving away a spare tube to a
complete stranger, with no expectation of recompense, if it was the
missing link to get them home, even if it was an overpriced Bontrager
tubes.

I relate the anecdotes above not so much to excoriate your clubmate, or
to encourage you to exact a quest for restitution (it's likely you have
no legal recourse, since you freely gave him the tube in the first
place). I relate it as a prescription for your own behaviour, which is
to continue to give away tubes even to those who don't return them, but
to be scrupulous about replacing the tubes others give you, to the
extent you can.

Just to give the converse, if I had to take a tube from a stranger, I
would offer them the usual (coffee at the end of the ride, $5 if I had
it and if they weren't going my way), but wouldn't fret if they said
"don't worry!"

Also, as Mike and Claire related, don't return a used tube. Even if you
got a used tube as a spare, be generous in repayment and give them back
a new one. It will make the donor feel warm and fuzzy.

Our club's Saturday Ride policies explicitly state that club members
should bring extra food, water and spares to share with underequipped
guest riders,

Pat
June 7th 05, 02:46 AM
: I would have told him to keep the tube; as often as from road hazards,
tubes
: are damaged from improper installation & removal. You got back, at best, a
: used tube.You don't know what might have been poking it from inside the
tire
: either. Plus he may have been using a bit much body english when inflating
: it, and weakened the area where the tube connects to the valve.
:
: --Mike Jacoubowsky

I bet she was so surprised that he pulled out the tube and gave it to her
that she didn't think of the downsides that you mentioned. I know I would be
astonished if someone did that to me.

Pat in TX

Claire Petersky
June 7th 05, 02:47 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote in message ...
>> I loaned someone a tube on a club ride, and when we got back to the cars,
>> he
>> stripped it out of the tire and returned it to me. I would have prefered
>> cash, but getting the tube back was adequate.
>
>I would have told him to keep the tube; as often as from road hazards,
tubes
>are damaged from improper installation & removal. You got back, at best, a
>used tube.You don't know what might have been poking it from inside the
tire
>either. Plus he may have been using a bit much body english when inflating
>it, and weakened the area where the tube connects to the valve.

I agree. He was very big on giving me the tube back, though.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Zoot Katz
June 7th 05, 02:53 AM
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:13:59 -0700,
<1118099639.c3042b399419be06fe135e1964c0c8ee@terane ws>, Diablo Scott
> wrote:

>Personally, I'd give you two new tubes.

Sure, make him carry your spares.
--
zk

Claire Petersky
June 7th 05, 02:54 AM
Neil Brooks wrote in message ...

>We help each other out there, cyclists do. If you know each other,
>then it's a given between friends (I'd *still* be profusely thankful
>and offer compensation). If it's just some guy whose name I dont'
>even know, I'd think a bit of common courtesy would have gone a long
>way.

OK, I'll tell another, how nice I am to my fellow cyclists but it gets
returned to me story. I was riding to work, and I found a hi-vis jacket on
the eastern high-rise of the floating bridge. I stopped -- an advantage of
being slow -- and picked it up. I was going to post on the local commuter
board that I found it, but when I got to the computer to make the post,
someone had already posted that he lost his jacket on the way to work. It
matched the description of the one I found. I rode to his workplace on the
way home one day and returned it to him. He then in turn sponsored me for
the Big Climb, a Leukemia fund-raiser I participated in a few months ago.
Just to top off the feel-good nature of this story, I recently heard from my
friend in whose name I did the fund-raiser, and her leukemia is now in
remission. Hooray for all of us.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Mike DeMicco
June 7th 05, 03:54 AM
"Roy Zipris" > wrote in news:1118085945.036927.168730
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
> see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
> gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
> strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
> five years.
>
> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience? --Roy Zipris

I personally don't like giving away my spare tube unless I'm riding with
a group that has spare tubes. Otherwise, if I get a flat, then I'm
vulnerable. I also would expect that person to replace the tube if I knew
them. If they don't then no big deal. I'm thinking of taking two tubes
now, but don't have much spare room in my wedge pack. I carry a patch kit
too. Sometimes you find people that don't even carry a spare tube and
habitually bum off other people, but I think that is rare.

--
Mike DeMicco >

Neil Cherry
June 7th 05, 04:55 AM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:43:32 -0700, Zoot Katz wrote:
> 6 Jun 2005 12:25:45 -0700,
. com>, "Roy Zipris"
> wrote:
>
>> When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
>>pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> That busted tube has worked for at least his last six flats too.
> Why bother replacing it? Works fine.

Sorry Claire but I'm going to play a little can you top this. One of
my long time co-riders offered a chain to another who broke his chain
on the start of a 200 mile ride. While he did get a thanks the chain
was returned a year later. And no I'm not making that up. We were
actually surpirsed that he returned the chain and we really get a good
laugh out of that one!

offered tubes to complete strangers and expected nothing (it was 8
miles to the nearest shop). On club rides we have a few 'free loaders'
who offer nothing in return (and usually lack social graces). We've
tried to teach them to get along but we're now offer them less after
broken parts we fixed, tubes we've replaced and food and drink we've
offer and dragging their sorry butt home after they've ridden tooo
hard all with no thanks in return or effort to help others. I'm not so
angry that I haven't been 'repayed' as I'm the ride leader and I have
some-what of a responibilty to my riders (to get them home safely) but
they've done it to other riders also and that really just ticks me
off. Stupidity is one thing (see #1 above) but abuse is going too
far. I have let the individuals know my opinion on the matter.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

Jeff Starr
June 7th 05, 05:00 AM
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:08:52 GMT, Neil Brooks >
wrote:

>A few weeks ago, I saw a guy with a Pinarello Prince along the
>roadside. Asked if he needed anything. He needed a pump.
>
>He had deep V rims and his pump wouldn't bite on the short Presta
>valve he'd inexplicably brought with him. My pump wouldn't do it
>either. I gave him my spare tube (with its longer valve stem).
>
>Not only was he profusely grateful, and offered me $5 (I told him not
>to worry about it), but we rode another 20 miles when he was back
>underway, after which he offered to buy me lunch at Chipotle's.
>
>I just told him to pay it forward if he got the chance.
>
>In that circumstance, the gratitude and the offer were payment enough.
>
>We help each other out there, cyclists do. If you know each other,
>then it's a given between friends (I'd *still* be profusely thankful
>and offer compensation). If it's just some guy whose name I dont'
>even know, I'd think a bit of common courtesy would have gone a long
>way.

Hi Neil, I don't know if it would have worked in your case, but
recently, I helped a friend reinflate his tube. He had the short stem
and I couldn't get the CO2 inflator on it. I screwed one of those
presta to Schrader adaptors on and then I was able to use the
inflator.

Life is Good!
Jeff

John Thompson
June 7th 05, 06:05 AM
On 2005-06-06, Roy Zipris > wrote:

> I'm curious what folks think about the following.
>
> On a ride this past weekend with two other cyclists from my bike club,
> one rider got a flat. When he unfolded his spare tube, the valve stem
> pulled right out, so I offered him one of my extras.
>
> Besides the fact that I don't recall him thanking me, I'm curious to
> see if he gives (or at least offers) me a tube to replace the one I
> gave him. I can't say we're close buddies but we're certainly not
> strangers either, having ridden on club rides together for the past
> five years.
>
> I would not say anything to him--I'd feel petty--and I don't really
> care about a $5 tube, but I am curious because I do think that one's
> attitude about such things--thoughtfulness, courtesy, helpfulness,
> etc., on club rides--reflects one's general values in life. What's your
> experience?

I'd certainly give profuse thanks; offer cash, replacement, whatever.

As it happens, when a rider flatted last week on a club ride, I was riding
sew-ups and had no spare tube to offer. :-(

--

John )

Tom Keats
June 7th 05, 06:09 AM
In article >,
Ryan Cousineau > writes:

> The philosophy here is to be generous in assistance and scrupulous in
> repayment. I would have no problem in giving away a spare tube to a
> complete stranger, with no expectation of recompense, if it was the
> missing link to get them home

I've done so, myself. But I have one stipulation: *nobody*
but me touches my good mini-pump. In fact, I'm not really
very comfortable lending tools, either. And it's not for
fear of theft. I just believe tools get used to the touch
of their owners, and the shock of being manipulated by a
different handler, especially one with a "rough" touch,
can gibble them. I guess I'm superstitious that way.
So be it. But I generally don't mind changing a tube for
a rider who's in a desperate picklement. Especially if
she's pretty (if she's smilin', or at least a smile can
be coaxed out of her, she's pretty.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Roy Zipris
June 7th 05, 12:16 PM
I would have never thought you were so cynical, Zoot. But I like it: I
should have asked him for the busted tube to carry as *my* spare! --R

Roy Zipris
June 7th 05, 12:28 PM
Ryan, I think you put it eloquently: "be generous in assistance and
scrupulous in repayment." In fact, I always carry two spare tubes--that
day, on a longer ride, I had three--in part so that I can offer one and
still have myself covered in need arises.

Perhaps if I had simply been thanked, I would not even have thought
about "repayment." And as for offering tubes to strangers--when I see a
cyclist at the side of the road working on a repair, I always ask if
they have what they need--the entire question would not have arisen.

I will also say that I neither had then nor have now any interest in
restitution or legal recourse. I am just curious about the interplay
between cycling and character, if I can put it that way. --Roy Zipris

Cathy Kearns
June 7th 05, 03:26 PM
I'm fairly new to riding alone, but have been stoking on a tandem for some
time. Within our little bike group we share spares, pumps, air canisters,
bandaids and whatnot like no tomorrow. So I was thinking it's common
courtesy to help out. Last time I was out by myself I stopped for a guy
that was alone, and looked like he might need help, but he waved me off, he
was fine. Then it occurred to me, I have this too precious trek 5000 T WSD,
with 650c wheels. I'm betting my spare tires are too small to help out most
folks. Is this true?

Ivar Hesselager
June 7th 05, 10:38 PM
What a beautifull thread you started, with a moral question, that reminds
us, that road cycling is fundamentally a game about
1)being part of the pack,
2)having broken away from the pack, or
3)beeing left by the pack. (Oh Pack, why hast thou left me?)

Of the two spare tubes, I normally carry, one is brand new and one is old
and has several patches.

I readily give away the old one (doesn't happen every year) thus avoiding
feeling that I am being taken advantage of. Still I enjoy feeling like a
Good Samaritan when I tell my brother on wheels, that I am giving the tube
to him as a gift.

I don't know if it is etiquette or strategy.

Ivar of Denmark

--
Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

C.J.Patten
June 8th 05, 12:32 AM
"Cathy Kearns" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm fairly new to riding alone, but have been stoking on a tandem for some
> time. Within our little bike group we share spares, pumps, air canisters,
> bandaids and whatnot like no tomorrow. So I was thinking it's common
> courtesy to help out. Last time I was out by myself I stopped for a guy
> that was alone, and looked like he might need help, but he waved me off,
> he
> was fine. Then it occurred to me, I have this too precious trek 5000 T
> WSD,
> with 650c wheels. I'm betting my spare tires are too small to help out
> most
> folks. Is this true?

It seems I may be in the same boat!

My last bike had "700D" tires (yes, that's "dee" not 700C) which I gather
are not the easiest thing to find.

My current ride is a folding bike with 20inch by 1.95's. Easy to find tubes
(BMX etc) but I rarely if ever encounter anyone riding that tire size!

This begs the questions, "should I carry different size spare tubes for
other people?" Ok, that's just getting silly... ;)

Side note: I've stopped on two occasions in the last year to ask if "downed"
cyclists wanted a lift, cell phone etc... both smiled and turned down the
offer. I figure we're a group that prides itself of a certain amount of
independence.

C.

Mike Kruger
June 8th 05, 04:45 AM
"Ryan Cousineau" > wrote in message

> The philosophy here is to be generous in assistance and
scrupulous in
> repayment. I would have no problem in giving away a spare
tube to a
> complete stranger, with no expectation of recompense, if it
was the
> missing link to get them home, even if it was an overpriced
Bontrager
> tubes.

Amen to all that, but are you SURE Fabrizio is one of your
heroes?
I think he's like one of those Italian guys who stuck the pump
in Dave's spokes in the movie "Breaking Away" ;)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home