PDA

View Full Version : Maggie, I thought of you

Will
June 7th 05, 02:36 AM
It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
noticed the wife was giving us a little pace but didn't think much of
it. We had an 8 or 12 mile route in mind, I figured she'd opted for 8
faster rather then 12 at cruise. Anyway we're bumping along at maybe 18
mph, when two lycra boys blow by. Low and behold the wife (vintage
1958) gives them 35 yards and then hangs on tight. Unknown to me, she's
waiting for the hill. I suspect nothing until about 100 yards before
the hill when she settles down in the drops and goes. This isn't about
a simple dropping: "Hi there, Goodbye" going up. Nope. This is a "let's
talk while I slowly pull away for a fifty yards, then I will drop you.
She did it too. On an old, but beautiful, Trek 620, fendered and
racked. These were young fellows, riding cheap carbon, Maggie. Probably
what you'd call puppies.

Anyway... I thought of you while I was catching up.

Pat
June 7th 05, 02:43 AM
Okay, I was following you until you got to the "cheap carbon" description.
AFAIK, there is no such thing as those two words put together....

Pat in TX

J.V.
June 7th 05, 03:41 AM
"Will" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
> noticed the wife was giving us a little pace but didn't think much of
> it. We had an 8 or 12 mile route in mind, I figured she'd opted for 8
> faster rather then 12 at cruise. Anyway we're bumping along at maybe 18
> mph, when two lycra boys blow by. Low and behold the wife (vintage
> 1958) gives them 35 yards and then hangs on tight. Unknown to me, she's
> waiting for the hill. I suspect nothing until about 100 yards before
> the hill when she settles down in the drops and goes. This isn't about
> a simple dropping: "Hi there, Goodbye" going up. Nope. This is a "let's
> talk while I slowly pull away for a fifty yards, then I will drop you.
> She did it too. On an old, but beautiful, Trek 620, fendered and
> racked. These were young fellows, riding cheap carbon, Maggie. Probably
> what you'd call puppies.
>
> Anyway... I thought of you while I was catching up.

The poor egos of everyone riding on racing bikes must be constantly
squashed. The recumbent people, the fixed gear people, the old people and
now the full fendered rack people have so many tales of blowing by them.
It's cute that your wife decided to hammer, but as someone on one of these
groups once said, it's not a race unless the other person knows it is.

David L. Johnson
June 7th 05, 03:46 AM
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:36:11 -0700, Will wrote:

> It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
> noticed the wife was

"the wife"???

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

J.V.
June 7th 05, 04:15 AM
I want to recant the above post. I feel really bad. I'm in a really grumpy
mood and after rereading my post I realize it's showing. The source of that
post is fun and tounge in cheek. Besides my grumpiness that post was
inspired by the many ego based posts of the variety I beat some stranger on
a racing bike. He must have been a racer in a race with me because he was
on a racing bike.

"J.V." > wrote in message
. ..

> "Will" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
> > noticed the wife was giving us a little pace but didn't think much of
> > it. We had an 8 or 12 mile route in mind, I figured she'd opted for 8
> > faster rather then 12 at cruise. Anyway we're bumping along at maybe 18
> > mph, when two lycra boys blow by. Low and behold the wife (vintage
> > 1958) gives them 35 yards and then hangs on tight. Unknown to me, she's
> > waiting for the hill. I suspect nothing until about 100 yards before
> > the hill when she settles down in the drops and goes. This isn't about
> > a simple dropping: "Hi there, Goodbye" going up. Nope. This is a "let's
> > talk while I slowly pull away for a fifty yards, then I will drop you.
> > She did it too. On an old, but beautiful, Trek 620, fendered and
> > racked. These were young fellows, riding cheap carbon, Maggie. Probably
> > what you'd call puppies.
> >
> > Anyway... I thought of you while I was catching up.
> >

> The poor egos of everyone riding on racing bikes must be constantly
> squashed. The recumbent people, the fixed gear people, the old people and
> now the full fendered rack people have so many tales of blowing by them.
> It's cute that your wife decided to hammer, but as someone on one of these
> groups once said, it's not a race unless the other person knows it is.

Neil Brooks
June 7th 05, 04:25 AM
"David L. Johnson" > wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:36:11 -0700, Will wrote:
>
>> It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
>> noticed the wife was
>
>"the wife"???

Short, I believe, for "The Wife Unit."

rdclark
June 7th 05, 02:29 PM
Will wrote:
> Unknown to me, she's
> waiting for the hill.

A hill? In Wisconsin? In PA we have ant hills bigger than that. <g>

RichC

Roger Zoul
June 7th 05, 04:30 PM
J.V. wrote:
:: I want to recant the above post. I feel really bad. I'm in a
:: really grumpy mood and after rereading my post I realize it's
:: showing. The source of that post is fun and tounge in cheek.
:: Besides my grumpiness that post was inspired by the many ego based
:: posts of the variety I beat some stranger on a racing bike. He must
:: have been a racer in a race with me because he was on a racing bike.

You a racer?

::
::
::
:: "J.V." > wrote in message
:: . ..
:::
::: "Will" > wrote in message
::: oups.com...
[...]
::::
:::: Anyway... I thought of you while I was catching up.
::::
:::
::: The poor egos of everyone riding on racing bikes must be constantly
::: squashed. The recumbent people, the fixed gear people, the old
::: people and now the full fendered rack people have so many tales of
::: blowing by them. It's cute that your wife decided to hammer, but as
::: someone on one of these groups once said, it's not a race unless
::: the other person knows it is.

J.V.
June 7th 05, 05:26 PM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> J.V. wrote:
> :: I want to recant the above post. I feel really bad. I'm in a
> :: really grumpy mood and after rereading my post I realize it's
> :: showing. The source of that post is fun and tounge in cheek.
> :: Besides my grumpiness that post was inspired by the many ego based
> :: posts of the variety I beat some stranger on a racing bike. He must
> :: have been a racer in a race with me because he was on a racing bike.
>
> You a racer?

No, but, I get tired of people thinking it means something because they
pass a racer type.

> ::
> ::
> ::
> :: "J.V." > wrote in message
> :: . ..
> :::
> ::: "Will" > wrote in message
> ::: oups.com...
> :::: It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
> :::: noticed the wife was giving us a little pace but didn't think much
> :::: of it. We had an 8 or 12 mile route in mind, I figured she'd opted
> :::: for 8 faster rather then 12 at cruise. Anyway we're bumping along
> :::: at maybe 18 mph, when two lycra boys blow by. Low and behold the
> :::: wife (vintage 1958) gives them 35 yards and then hangs on tight.
> :::: Unknown to me, she's waiting for the hill. I suspect nothing until
> :::: about 100 yards before the hill when she settles down in the drops
> :::: and goes. This isn't about a simple dropping: "Hi there, Goodbye"
> :::: going up. Nope. This is a "let's talk while I slowly pull away for
> :::: a fifty yards, then I will drop you. She did it too. On an old,
> :::: but beautiful, Trek 620, fendered and racked. These were young
> :::: fellows, riding cheap carbon, Maggie. Probably what you'd call
> :::: puppies.
> ::::
> :::: Anyway... I thought of you while I was catching up.
> ::::
> :::
> ::: The poor egos of everyone riding on racing bikes must be constantly
> ::: squashed. The recumbent people, the fixed gear people, the old
> ::: people and now the full fendered rack people have so many tales of
> ::: blowing by them. It's cute that your wife decided to hammer, but as
> ::: someone on one of these groups once said, it's not a race unless
> ::: the other person knows it is.

Bob Dole
June 7th 05, 05:29 PM
<< Low and behold the wife (vintage
1958) gives them 35 yards and then hangs on tight>>

Sounds like "the wife" has been well maintained and is in no need of an
upgrade.

Neil Brooks
June 7th 05, 05:34 PM
"Will" > wrote:

>It's a nice evening in Wisconsin, good for an after dinner spin. I
>noticed the wife was giving us a little pace but didn't think much of
>it. We had an 8 or 12 mile route in mind, I figured she'd opted for 8
>faster rather then 12 at cruise. Anyway we're bumping along at maybe 18
>mph, when two lycra boys blow by. Low and behold the wife (vintage
>1958) gives them 35 yards and then hangs on tight. Unknown to me, she's
>waiting for the hill. I suspect nothing until about 100 yards before
>the hill when she settles down in the drops and goes. This isn't about
>a simple dropping: "Hi there, Goodbye" going up. Nope. This is a "let's
>talk while I slowly pull away for a fifty yards, then I will drop you.
>She did it too. On an old, but beautiful, Trek 620, fendered and
>racked. These were young fellows, riding cheap carbon, Maggie. Probably
>what you'd call puppies.
>
>Anyway... I thought of you while I was catching up.

I find it ironic that the only one not to contribute to this thread
has been Maggie....

Roger Zoul
June 7th 05, 06:15 PM
J.V. wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
:: ...
::: J.V. wrote:
::::: I want to recant the above post. I feel really bad. I'm in a
::::: really grumpy mood and after rereading my post I realize it's
::::: showing. The source of that post is fun and tounge in cheek.
::::: Besides my grumpiness that post was inspired by the many ego based
::::: posts of the variety I beat some stranger on a racing bike. He
::::: must have been a racer in a race with me because he was on a
::::: racing bike.
:::
::: You a racer?
:::
::
:: No, but, I get tired of people thinking it means something because
:: they pass a racer type.

Yeah, I got the point. Just kidding around with ya...

Maggie
June 7th 05, 06:21 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:

> I find it ironic that the only one not to contribute to this thread
> has been Maggie....

HAD ME A REAL GOOD TIME
(Ron Wood, Rod Stewart & Ronnie Lane)

Steady all day!
Thought I was lookin' good
So I cycled 'cross the neighbourhood
Left my bicycle under the stairs
Laid my coat across the kosher chairs
Made my way across the crowded room
I had nothing to lose

I was glad to come
I'll be sad to go
So while I'm here
I'll have me a real good time

There is my contribution sweet thing.
Love,
Maggie

Dane Jackson
June 7th 05, 06:51 PM
J.V. > wrote:

> No, but, I get tired of people thinking it means something because they
> pass a racer type.

Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
"Not a Tow Truck".

[1] Rarely, Ever so rarely, I'll get someone who *asks* if it's okay to
draft me. Sometimes we'll even get into a conversation about bikes or
the weather, commuting, Seattle, or whatever strikes our fancy. But I
get incredibly irritated at rude people who think that just because I'm
on a bike, and I don't happen to be pootling along that I want to be
their personal domestique.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Please leave your values at the front desk."

Frank Drackman
June 7th 05, 06:59 PM
"Dane Jackson" > wrote in message
> J.V. > wrote:
>>
>> No, but, I get tired of people thinking it means something because they
>> pass a racer type.
>
> Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
> get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
> I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
> "Not a Tow Truck".
>
> [1] Rarely, Ever so rarely, I'll get someone who *asks* if it's okay to
> draft me. Sometimes we'll even get into a conversation about bikes or
> the weather, commuting, Seattle, or whatever strikes our fancy. But I
> get incredibly irritated at rude people who think that just because I'm
> on a bike, and I don't happen to be pootling along that I want to be
> their personal domestique.

You forgot the part about when you are out on a recovery ride in your team
kit and they tell their friends that they dropped you. I get real
frustrated with people thinking that every time you are on a bike that you
are racing.

catzz66
June 7th 05, 07:07 PM
Dane Jackson wrote:

> Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
> get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
> I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
> "Not a Tow Truck".

How's about "If you can read this sign, you're too close!"

Will
June 7th 05, 08:09 PM
Frank Drackman wrote:

> You forgot the part about when you are out on a recovery ride in your team
> kit and they tell their friends that they dropped you. I get real
> frustrated with people thinking that every time you are on a bike that you
> are racing.

Gotta love it!

The next time some punk drops my aging ass on hills that don't exist in
Wisconsin, I am going to say:

"You #$%&*@, can't you see I on a RECOVERY RIDE?"

Leo Lichtman
June 7th 05, 08:34 PM
"Maggie" wrote: (clip) Laid my coat across the kosher chairs (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What the heck is a kosher chair? Eaten with Betamte mustard?

Pat
June 7th 05, 08:48 PM
:
: Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
: get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
: I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
: "Not a Tow Truck".

I had that happen to me at the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred last year. This young
20-something guy, really fit looking, all decked out in some pro kit,
drafted on me for about 20 miles between the 70 and 90 mile rest stops.
When the 90 mile rest stop became visible down the road, he suddenly came
out from behind me and sprinted ahead so it wouldn't look as if he had been
wheel-sucking the entire time. "Look: it's a race and I won!" was his
attitude. I felt like spitting at him as I passed him getting off his bike
at the rest stop. No way I was stopping at that rest stop!

Pat in TX

gds
June 7th 05, 09:19 PM
Dane Jackson wrote:
> Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
> get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him

Gee! At my age I'm usually honored :-) And it is great fun to ride them
off your wheel.
Seriously, I couldn't care less. Although it is more fun if you can
work together. And that happens every once in a while as well.

This morning I stopped to loan my pump to a young gun who had his
second flat of the morning and had run out of CO2. He recipricated by
pulling me for a few miles.

catzz66
June 7th 05, 09:44 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Maggie" wrote: (clip) Laid my coat across the kosher chairs (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> What the heck is a kosher chair? Eaten with Betamte mustard?

Sorry, Maggie. Was there ever a more overrated singer/composer than Rod
Stewart?

Roger Zoul
June 7th 05, 10:04 PM
Pat > wrote:
:> : Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how
:> : tired I get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I
:> : pass him.[1] I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang
:> : off my bag that says "Not a Tow Truck".
:>
:> I had that happen to me at the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred last year.
:> This young 20-something guy, really fit looking, all decked out in
:> some pro kit, drafted on me for about 20 miles between the 70 and 90
:> mile rest stops. When the 90 mile rest stop became visible down the
:> road, he suddenly came out from behind me and sprinted ahead so it
:> wouldn't look as if he had been wheel-sucking the entire time.
:> "Look: it's a race and I won!" was his attitude. I felt like
:> spitting at him as I passed him getting off his bike at the rest
:> stop. No way I was stopping at that rest stop!

I'd be honored if some racer dude in kit drafted me for 20 miles. You must
rock, man!

Maggie
June 7th 05, 10:21 PM
catzz66 wrote:
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
> > "Maggie" wrote: (clip) Laid my coat across the kosher chairs (clip)
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > What the heck is a kosher chair? Eaten with Betamte mustard?
> >

> Sorry, Maggie. Was there ever a more overrated singer/composer than Rod
> Stewart?

He is a sexy man, pushing 60 and still rocking. Still puts on a great
concert. Never stops jumping around stage, still kicks the soccer
balls into the cheap seats and I think he is a hell of a singer. Never
missed a tour. Maybe he is overrated to some, but in my eyes, he is
fabulous. That is all I care about. He makes me smile just to think
about him. Thats worth alot.

Maggie...
Looking through the eyes of Lust.

catzz66
June 7th 05, 11:16 PM
Maggie wrote:

> He is a sexy man, pushing 60 and still rocking. Still puts on a great
> concert. Never stops jumping around stage, still kicks the soccer
> balls into the cheap seats and I think he is a hell of a singer. Never
> missed a tour. Maybe he is overrated to some, but in my eyes, he is
> fabulous. That is all I care about. He makes me smile just to think
> about him. Thats worth alot.
>
> Maggie...
> Looking through the eyes of Lust.

So what do I know? I listen to classical and all my favorite composers
have been dead for years.

Pat
June 7th 05, 11:57 PM
:
: I'd be honored if some racer dude in kit drafted me for 20 miles. You
must
: rock, man!

Or else he was really, really weak! You forgot that aspect of it. I don't
think I was exactly blazing a path, either. There are loads of these type
of guys at the HHH, and a medic at one of the tents told me that most of the
racer-types were loaded with beer from the night before the ride and went
out too strong in the beginning as if it were a sprint, not a century....He
said most of the people getting the I.V.s were in their mid-20's.

Pat in TX

Jeff Starr
June 7th 05, 11:59 PM
On 7 Jun 2005 14:21:14 -0700, "Maggie" >
wrote:

>catzz66 wrote:
>> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> > "Maggie" wrote: (clip) Laid my coat across the kosher chairs (clip)
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > What the heck is a kosher chair? Eaten with Betamte mustard?
>> >

>> Sorry, Maggie. Was there ever a more overrated singer/composer than Rod
>> Stewart?
>
>He is a sexy man, pushing 60 and still rocking. Still puts on a great
>concert. Never stops jumping around stage, still kicks the soccer
>balls into the cheap seats and I think he is a hell of a singer. Never
>missed a tour. Maybe he is overrated to some, but in my eyes, he is
>fabulous. That is all I care about. He makes me smile just to think
>about him. Thats worth alot.
>
>Maggie...
>Looking through the eyes of Lust.

I've been a Faces and Stewart fan since "Gasoline Alley". I bought
every album Rod released up until, but, unfortunately including
"Blondes Have More Fun". After that he pretty much lost me for a
while. I do enjoy his take on the standards, but not quite enough to
buy them. Of all those Stewart albums, I have probably played the
"slow side" of "Atlantic Crossing" more than any of the rest.
I'd say their is no shame in being a Rod Stewart fan.

If I thought about it, I'm sure I could come up with a whole lot of
performers, more overated than Rod. But why would I, I see no need to
diss someone that may be a favorite of a fellow bicyclist.

Life is Good!
Jeff

catzz66
June 8th 05, 12:30 AM
Jeff Starr wrote:

> If I thought about it, I'm sure I could come up with a whole lot of
> performers, more overated than Rod. But why would I, I see no need to
> diss someone that may be a favorite of a fellow bicyclist.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. I guess it was the "kosher chairs" that
went to my head. =]

Claire Petersky
June 8th 05, 03:20 AM
Dane Jackson wrote in message ...
>J.V. > wrote:
>>
>> No, but, I get tired of people thinking it means something because they
>> pass a racer type.
>
>Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
>get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
>I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
>"Not a Tow Truck".

Huh, I ride the same route, and no one ever tries to draft me. It's just
because you're so damn speedy. I'm slower than a slug on a lettuce leaf.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Jeff Starr
June 8th 05, 04:43 AM
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:57:27 -0500, "Pat" > wrote:

>:
>: I'd be honored if some racer dude in kit drafted me for 20 miles. You
>must
>: rock, man!
>
>Or else he was really, really weak! You forgot that aspect of it. I don't
>think I was exactly blazing a path, either. There are loads of these type
>of guys at the HHH, and a medic at one of the tents told me that most of the
>racer-types were loaded with beer from the night before the ride and went
>out too strong in the beginning as if it were a sprint, not a century....He
>said most of the people getting the I.V.s were in their mid-20's.
>
>Pat in TX

Hi, I think this would be a good place to share this. The last time I
rode with a local club, it was an overcast , cool, windy day. It was
early May and the ride was 34 miles. Well, I went out with the second
group and kept up real well for the first 8-10 miles and then we hit
some hills. On the third hill, I just gave up, staying with that
group. I stopped and had some water.

I saw two riders who had passed me a little up ahead. I finally
caught them when they had to stop due to traffic. It was problably
about 15 miles by then. Well the one rider pulled ahead, but I tucked
in behind the other. During a slight downhill I had to back off, as
she didn't speed up, but was spinning a overly high cadence. Well then
I noticed she hadn't shifted, and the old Bianchi had down tube
shifters. Anyway I drafted her, for a good three or so miles, into the
wind. Well, I finally pulled up next to her and we rode together for a
while. It turns out she had just recently started riding, and was
training for a multi day ride in August. Her only advantage was she
was probably 25 years younger than I.

She didn't even know what I had been doing. I almost felt guilty about
it. It worked out as we finished the ride together, keeping each other
company. She had done a longer ride, but said this was the hardest
one, it was for the season, mine too. I had screwed up, by starting
too strong, and by not having anything to eat that morning.

I had thought that I was drafting a seasoned club rider and here it
was someone with less experience than me.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Gooserider
June 8th 05, 04:48 AM
"Pat" > wrote in message
> Okay, I was following you until you got to the "cheap carbon" description.
> AFAIK, there is no such thing as those two words put together....
>
> Pat in TX

Well, I guess that depends on what you consider "cheap". Supergo is running
a special on their house brand carbon bike complete for $1499. Compared to
an OCLV Trek that's cheap. :-)

Dane Jackson
June 8th 05, 06:22 AM
Claire Petersky > wrote:

> Dane Jackson wrote in message ...
>>
>>Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
>>get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
>>I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
>>"Not a Tow Truck".
>
> Huh, I ride the same route, and no one ever tries to draft me. It's just
> because you're so damn speedy. I'm slower than a slug on a lettuce leaf.

It probably doesn't help that at 6'1" and about 200 lbs I do have a
rather nice draft behind me.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
It is by Perl alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the regex of Larry

H M Leary
June 8th 05, 01:10 PM
In article >,
"Claire Petersky" > wrote:

snip

.. I'm slower than a slug on a lettuce leaf.

> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referr*al/Cpetersky

Once again, Claire, you have made my day!

I thought I was the only one who rode at that speed.

HAND

H M Leary
June 8th 05, 01:15 PM
In article . com>,
"rdclark" > wrote:

> Will wrote:
> > Unknown to me, she's
> > waiting for the hill.
>
> A hill? In Wisconsin? In PA we have ant hills bigger than that. <g>
>
> RichC

Also some pretty steep grades just to get out of the potholes!

HAND

Dane Jackson
June 8th 05, 03:40 PM
catzz66 > wrote:
> Dane Jackson wrote:
>>
>> Pffft. You think you get tired of that? You can't imagine how tired I
>> get of some racer wannabe always wheel-sucking me after I pass him.[1]
>> I'm seriously thinking about making a sign to hang off my bag that says
>> "Not a Tow Truck".
>>

> How's about "If you can read this sign, you're too close!"

It's a step in the right direction, but I have a feeling the ******s who
do this sort of thing would most likely think it was meant for cars.
Maybe even the "Not a Tow Truck" sign wouldn't do. Maybe I'll draw two
cyclists pacelining and put a big red bar and circle around them.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"You've got to have a gimmick if your band sucks."

Dane Jackson
June 8th 05, 03:47 PM
Frank Drackman > wrote:

> You forgot the part about when you are out on a recovery ride in your team
> kit and they tell their friends that they dropped you. I get real
> frustrated with people thinking that every time you are on a bike that you
> are racing.

I run into this issue from time to time on my work commute. I almost
always have this happen when I'm on the Burke Gilman trail or the
Sammamish River trail.[1] I don't think I've ever had this issue when I'm
out on the road. Thinking about it, I've never had this problem on the
road section of my work commute, only on the trail sections.

So I guess that the kind of rude clueless rider who does this is also
the sort that isn't comfortable road riding without a pack of cyclists.

[1] Not yesterday though. I took the long way home for the first time
in months, so I was more than halfway expecting this to happen.
Luckily it was sort of cloudy/cool and rained off and on, so I was
able to enjoy a nice solitary ride.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"If Geraldo Rivera is the first journalist in space, NASA can

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m
June 8th 05, 11:51 PM
Dane Jackson responded to Frank Drackman:

>> I get real frustrated with people thinking that every time
>> you are on a bike that you are racing.
>
> I run into this issue from time to time on my work commute.

It's even happened to me a couple of times on my work commute, on which
I look about as much like a bike racer as a Russian circus bear.

Pat
June 9th 05, 12:35 AM
:
: It's even happened to me a couple of times on my work commute, on which
: I look about as much like a bike racer as a Russian circus bear.

When I am on a solo ride and this happens, I just chalk it up to some kid
day dreaming and pretending he's Lance....

Pat in TX

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home