PDA

View Full Version : best ways to reduce weight

August 31st 05, 05:55 AM
i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
(probably mostly used components).

i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
out at ...

thanks!

Mark Hickey
August 31st 05, 02:21 PM
wrote:

>i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
>like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
>weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
>switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
>inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
>(probably mostly used components).
>
>i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
>can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
>out at ...

The easiest (cheapest) places to save weight...
Tires
Tubes
Seatpost
Saddle
Pedals

That oughta eat up your budget pretty well. But if you choose wisely
you'll shed a surprising amount of weight.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

GeeDubb
August 31st 05, 03:25 PM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and
>> would like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its
>> rock-like weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i
>> do plan on switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far
>> as what inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about
>> $100-150 (probably mostly used components).
>>
>> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing
>> i can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is
>> starting out at ...
>
> The easiest (cheapest) places to save weight...
> Tires
> Tubes
> Seatpost
> Saddle
> Pedals
>
> That oughta eat up your budget pretty well. But if you choose wisely
> you'll shed a surprising amount of weight.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Also wheels should be on the list.

But try losing 10 lbs of body weight. It's cheeper than any bike component.

Gary (10 lbs less that two months ago.)

JD
August 31st 05, 03:53 PM
Mark Hickey wrote:
> wrote:
>
> >i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> >like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> >weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> >switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> >inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> >(probably mostly used components).
> >
> >i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> >can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> >out at ...
>
> The easiest (cheapest) places to save weight...
> Tires

There you have a good chance of giving up durability. Lower TPI counts
and thinner sidewalls = more flats and blown sidewalls.

> Tubes

That's usually a good place to save weight.

> Seatpost

Never give up any durability with a seatpost. If you break one, it
could slice you up in very sensitive places.

> Saddle

Another place that's pretty good because ti rails are better than steel
in most cases.

> Pedals

How any spindles have you snapped Mark? This is a sketchy place at
best because of durability issues and lighter materials like ti are not
recommended for heavier riders.

> That oughta eat up your budget pretty well. But if you choose wisely
> you'll shed a surprising amount of weight.

Especially if you lose it from your own ass, as Gary indicated. It's
cheaper to lose your own weight.

JD

Paladin
August 31st 05, 04:09 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
>i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...
>
> thanks!

Keep riding. If that's too slow, take a leak at the trailhead.

CDB
peed out $100 worth of titanium just this morning

MattB
August 31st 05, 04:17 PM
Paladin wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
>>like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
>>weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
>>switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
>>inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
>>(probably mostly used components).
>>
>>i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
>>can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
>>out at ...
>>
>>thanks!
>>

> Keep riding. If that's too slow, take a leak at the trailhead.
>
> CDB
> peed out $100 worth of titanium just this morning

That's gotta' hurt! Hopefully there were no sharp edges.

Matt

Shawn
August 31st 05, 04:22 PM
wrote:
> i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
> like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
> weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
> switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
> inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
> (probably mostly used components).
>
> i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
> can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
> out at ...

Turn it into a single speed.

September 1st 05, 02:13 AM
thanks for the good tips everyone.

re the tubes .. really? i never even thought of that. what are some
lighter types, and heavier types?

as far as Ti pedals not being suited for heavier riders, i'm rebuilding
for a 120 pound female, so i'm guessing lighter pedals and lighter
seatpost should do just fine, no?

which brings me to losing weight ... 10 pounds off 120 pounds would be
a bit excessive imho, but that is actually her goal, so i guess that's
a good idea. of course, losing that big a percentage ain't gonna take
a month. plus, my point is to lose weight from the bike so she can
have an easier time carrying it ... so losing body weight ain't gonna
cut it.

as far as turning it into a fixed gear ... bravo ... that's what i
have. i have a $200 setup built from an old steel bianchi frame and
miscellaneous parts ... 19 pounds, slick and fast. BUT, she bikes in a
hilly area, and is a very very novice rider, so the gears'll definitely
do her good.

thanks again for the tips ... keep 'em coming if you have more.

Shawn
September 1st 05, 04:39 AM
wrote:
> thanks for the good tips everyone.
>
> re the tubes .. really? i never even thought of that. what are some
> lighter types, and heavier types?
>
> as far as Ti pedals not being suited for heavier riders, i'm rebuilding
> for a 120 pound female, so i'm guessing lighter pedals and lighter
> seatpost should do just fine, no?
>
> which brings me to losing weight ... 10 pounds off 120 pounds would be
> a bit excessive imho, but that is actually her goal, so i guess that's
> a good idea. of course, losing that big a percentage ain't gonna take
> a month. plus, my point is to lose weight from the bike so she can
> have an easier time carrying it ... so losing body weight ain't gonna
> cut it.
>
> as far as turning it into a fixed gear ... bravo ... that's what i
> have. i have a $200 setup built from an old steel bianchi frame and
> miscellaneous parts ... 19 pounds, slick and fast. BUT, she bikes in a
> hilly area, and is a very very novice rider, so the gears'll definitely
> do her good.
>
> thanks again for the tips ... keep 'em coming if you have more.

I understand the apprehension about single speed (with a freewheel). I
haven't taken that step either (a few hills here too :)
As for fixie, I ride one around town every day (mine's my old steel road
racing bike, about 17 lbs), but off road? No thanks!

Shawn

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home