PDA

View Full Version : Them Rising Gas Prices.... (OT?)

Paladin
September 1st 05, 05:05 AM
Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!

Wait a minute, we already do!

Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to $3/gallon
gas.

CDB

Dave W
September 1st 05, 05:35 AM
"Paladin" > wrote in message
> Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!
>
> Wait a minute, we already do!
>
> Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to $3/gallon
> gas.
>
> CDB

Watch out price gougers...Sonny Perdue is after you!!

Ride-A-Lot
September 1st 05, 11:44 AM
Paladin wrote:
> Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!
>
> Wait a minute, we already do!
>
> Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to $3/gallon
> gas.
>
> CDB

Oh how I wish I could commute by bike. Just 12 miles away, but I'd have
to go 25 to avoid the Route 70 smash 'em derby. Those 25 wouldn't be a
walk in the park, either. School is starting which would mean 20,000
female (sorry gals) luxury SUVidiots rushing to take their rugrats to
school (while I am on the road), so they can go spend the day roughing
it in the day spa drinking Starbucks and commiserating with the other
19,999 lonely housewives who's husbands are all cheating on them.

Welcome to my life in the Marlton - Voorhees - Cherry Hill - Haddonfield
corridor. Home to just about every Philadelphia sports team athlete and
their rich lonely wives. More lawyers and doctors (and their rich
lonely wives) than their are patients and clients.

Now I'm depressed.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Corvus Corvax
September 1st 05, 01:32 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Welcome to my life in the Marlton - Voorhees - Cherry Hill - Haddonfield
> corridor. Home to just about every Philadelphia sports team athlete and
> their rich lonely wives. More lawyers and doctors (and their rich
> lonely wives) than their are patients and clients.
>
> Now I'm depressed.

Cheer up. Sounds like it's pretty easy to get laid.

CC

GeeDubb
September 1st 05, 08:13 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>> Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!
>>
>> Wait a minute, we already do!
>>
>> Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to
>> $3/gallon gas.
>>
>> CDB
>>

> Oh how I wish I could commute by bike. Just 12 miles away, but I'd
> have to go 25 to avoid the Route 70 smash 'em derby. Those 25
> wouldn't be a walk in the park, either. School is starting which
> would mean 20,000 female (sorry gals) luxury SUVidiots rushing to
> take their rugrats to school (while I am on the road), so they can go
> spend the day roughing it in the day spa drinking Starbucks and
> commiserating with the other 19,999 lonely housewives who's husbands
> are all cheating on them.
> Welcome to my life in the Marlton - Voorhees - Cherry Hill -
> Haddonfield corridor. Home to just about every Philadelphia sports
> team athlete and their rich lonely wives. More lawyers and doctors
> (and their rich lonely wives) than their are patients and clients.
>
> Now I'm depressed.

Think of all the people down south right now. Makes you feel a damn site
better now doesn't it.

But then ignorance is costing me and everybody else outside of that area a
bundle.

When is the Army Corp gonna figure out they can't tame mother nature?

GeeDubb
September 1st 05, 08:16 PM
Paladin wrote:
> Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!
>
> Wait a minute, we already do!
>
> Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to
> $3/gallon gas.
>
> CDB

If I could figure out a way to carry all my carpentry tools on my bike or
figure out a trailering method to carry big ass cabinets, I'd ride. But
alas, I need that 6000 lb 4x4 that CC was ragging on.........

Luckily found gas at $2.89 today but I'm headed to Colorado tonight....cha
ching!

Gary

Ride-A-Lot
September 1st 05, 08:35 PM
GeeDubb wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>Paladin wrote:
>>
>>>Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!
>>>
>>>Wait a minute, we already do!
>>>
>>>Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to
>>>$3/gallon gas.
>>>
>>>CDB
>>>

>>Oh how I wish I could commute by bike. Just 12 miles away, but I'd
>>have to go 25 to avoid the Route 70 smash 'em derby. Those 25
>>wouldn't be a walk in the park, either. School is starting which
>>would mean 20,000 female (sorry gals) luxury SUVidiots rushing to
>>take their rugrats to school (while I am on the road), so they can go
>>spend the day roughing it in the day spa drinking Starbucks and
>>commiserating with the other 19,999 lonely housewives who's husbands
>>are all cheating on them.
>>Welcome to my life in the Marlton - Voorhees - Cherry Hill -
>>Haddonfield corridor. Home to just about every Philadelphia sports
>>team athlete and their rich lonely wives. More lawyers and doctors
>>(and their rich lonely wives) than their are patients and clients.
>>
>>Now I'm depressed.
>

> Think of all the people down south right now. Makes you feel a damn site
> better now doesn't it.
>
> But then ignorance is costing me and everybody else outside of that area a
> bundle.
>
> When is the Army Corp gonna figure out they can't tame mother nature?

When are people going to realize that you can't live below sealevel? I
feel bad for everyone down there, but I am starting to get some other
feelings about the people who decided to stay there and/or are staying
there now. Is it that hard to get on the overpass and start walking
away from the devistation? It also seems like the poorest of poor (at
least that's how they are portrayed on the news) are the ones left
there. Many of them are able-bodied individuals that can start moving
things and building shelters for those who can't.

And what's with the governor of LA? She didn't seem to anxious or
worried for someone who just had the largest city in their state
destroyed. Am I missing something?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

MattB
September 1st 05, 08:36 PM
GeeDubb wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>
>>Almost enought to make ya wanna ride a bike!
>>
>>Wait a minute, we already do!
>>
>>Here's to bike commuting, mooning OPEC, and thumbing my nose to
>>$3/gallon gas.
>>
>>CDB
>

> If I could figure out a way to carry all my carpentry tools on my bike or
> figure out a trailering method to carry big ass cabinets, I'd ride. But
> alas, I need that 6000 lb 4x4 that CC was ragging on.........
>
> Luckily found gas at $2.89 today but I'm headed to Colorado tonight....cha
> ching!
>
> Gary

I think he was referring more to the ones that so many people use
strictly for commuting and other duties a smaller vehicle (or bike)
would handle just fine.

If you need a truck for what you do then it makes sense to use one.

Matt

Corvus Corvax
September 1st 05, 08:56 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> When are people going to realize that you can't live below sealevel?

Tell that to the Dutch ;-). But you're of course correct. As I
understand it, the thing that really screwed NO was overdevelopment on
the surrounding wetlands, so that there was nowhere for the storm surge
to go. Hence the damage to the levees. There was an excellent program
on NOVA last year about just this kind of worst-case scenario. Lots of
people saw it coming.

> I feel bad for everyone down there, but I am starting to get some other
> feelings about the people who decided to stay there and/or are staying
> there now. Is it that hard to get on the overpass and start walking
> away from the devistation?

And go... where? It's easy to second-guess people's decisions,
especially if you can write them off as a bunch of lazy poor people.

> It also seems like the poorest of poor (at
> least that's how they are portrayed on the news) are the ones left
> there. Many of them are able-bodied individuals that can start moving
> things and building shelters for those who can't.

Many of the people who were unable to evac aren't "able bodied", and
they're out there dying. The sick and the elderly and the poor. It
doesn't matter how "able bodied" anybody is if there is no food and no
water. Telling them to just hitch up their britches and start fixing
things is insulting. Especially when you have the cops and the National
Guard arresting people for using available materials.

And remember, it's not looting if you're white:

http://www.wonkette.com/politics//finding-versus-looting-123124.php

> And what's with the governor of LA? She didn't seem to anxious or
> worried for someone who just had the largest city in their state
> destroyed. Am I missing something?

I saw her news conference last night, and she looked like a total
basket case. Although she seemed more worried about protecting the
inventory at Walmart than getting supplies to her people. I couldn't
help but make the comparison between her and Giuliani after 9/11. That,
and Dubya bleating about "a lot of help is coming real soon". Thanks,
asshole. The hurricane was through there THREE DAYS ago. What a
cluster****.

Shocking and tragic.

CC

Corvus Corvax
September 1st 05, 09:05 PM
Following up my own post...

I wrote:
> I couldn't help but make the comparison between her and Giuliani after 9/11.

I should have used the word _contrast_ here instead of comparison, of
course. When Giuliani had his first press conference on 9/11, he was
incredibly steady and reassuring. Blanco was anything but. She looked
like she was having a ****ing nervous breakdown.

I feel so sorry for those people. I've already gotten some bucks to the
Red Cross.

CC

Ride-A-Lot
September 1st 05, 09:10 PM
Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Following up my own post...
>
> I wrote:
>
>>I couldn't help but make the comparison between her and Giuliani after 9/11.
>

> I should have used the word _contrast_ here instead of comparison, of
> course. When Giuliani had his first press conference on 9/11, he was
> incredibly steady and reassuring. Blanco was anything but. She looked
> like she was having a ****ing nervous breakdown.
>
> I feel so sorry for those people. I've already gotten some bucks to the
> Red Cross.
>
> CC

I agree. I have sent money to the Red Cross and I have also sent money
and volunteered local transport services to the North Shore Animal
League. Let's not forget the thousands of now homeless best friends who
are going to need foster care and adoption. Let's help to keep them out
of the kill shelters.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (Schnauzer Rescue) o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

small change
September 1st 05, 09:21 PM
Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>> When are people going to realize that you can't live below sealevel?
>
> Tell that to the Dutch ;-). But you're of course correct. As I
> understand it, the thing that really screwed NO was overdevelopment on
> the surrounding wetlands, so that there was nowhere for the storm
> surge to go. Hence the damage to the levees. There was an excellent
> program on NOVA last year about just this kind of worst-case
> scenario. Lots of people saw it coming.

Many are cities are knowingly poised on the brink of some future natural
disaster, LA,SF and Seattle come to mind, I'm sure there are others. Me,
I'm downwind if Rainier ever blows.

The whole below sea level thing is just one aspect of nature waiting to
happen in the NO basin. . I always thought it would come in the form of a
flood from the Mississippi River pirating ( overtaking) the Atchaflalaya in
nature's quest for a river to find the shortest route through a delta to the
sea. The Army Corps have been working on that one for years. They have
spent millions, perhaps billions, trying to prevent it. In Control of Nature
by John MacPhee is a very interesting read on this kind of thing.

Penny

small change
September 1st 05, 09:26 PM
Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Tell that to the Dutch ;-). But you're of course correct. As I
> understand it, the thing that really screwed NO was overdevelopment on
> the surrounding wetlands, so that there was nowhere for the storm
> surge to go. Hence the damage to the levees. There was an excellent
> program on NOVA last year about just this kind of worst-case
> scenario. Lots of people saw it coming.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372455,00.html

tillio
September 1st 05, 10:13 PM
Corvus Corvax wrote:
> Following up my own post...
>
> I wrote:
> > I couldn't help but make the comparison between her and Giuliani after 9/11.
>
> I should have used the word _contrast_ here instead of comparison, of
> course. When Giuliani had his first press conference on 9/11, he was
> incredibly steady and reassuring. Blanco was anything but. She looked
> like she was having a ****ing nervous breakdown.
>
> I feel so sorry for those people. I've already gotten some bucks to the
> Red Cross.

I sent them some ammo to kill looters.

JP
September 2nd 05, 12:47 AM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message

> I agree. I have sent money to the Red Cross and I have also sent money
> and volunteered local transport services to the North Shore Animal
> League. Let's not forget the thousands of now homeless best friends who
> are going to need foster care and adoption. Let's help to keep them out
> of the kill shelters.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (Schnauzer Rescue) o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

The North Shore Animal League has departed from its mission
of finding homes for abandoned pets and now imports puppies
from all over the country keeping backyard and basement puppy mills
in business just to keep their "sales" up.
I adopted from them in the past but not any more.

JP

PS Paid 3.59 this afternoon off exit 57

September 2nd 05, 12:56 AM
small change wrote:
> Me,
> I'm downwind if Rainier ever blows.

In the winter, maybe. Certainly you'll only get ash even then.

The entire Duamish/Puyallup river valley systems will be destroyed due
to lahar action.

If you look at the geology unlying these regions you'll see that the
west side really gets the shaft if Rainier goes like St. Helens.

The east side gets it if Yellowstone blows.

E.P.

Ride-A-Lot
September 2nd 05, 01:26 AM
JP wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>

>>I agree. I have sent money to the Red Cross and I have also sent money
>>and volunteered local transport services to the North Shore Animal
>>League. Let's not forget the thousands of now homeless best friends who
>>are going to need foster care and adoption. Let's help to keep them out
>>of the kill shelters.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (Schnauzer Rescue) o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws
>

> The North Shore Animal League has departed from its mission
> of finding homes for abandoned pets and now imports puppies
> from all over the country keeping backyard and basement puppy mills
> in business just to keep their "sales" up.
> I adopted from them in the past but not any more.
>
> JP
>
> PS Paid 3.59 this afternoon off exit 57

Right now it's the only hope they have. The other two agencies (ASPCA
and Humane Society) put them in kill shelters. I believe in and support
specific breed rescues (NJ Schnauzer Rescue Network and Sweeten
Wheatens), but N.O. needs mass rescue efforts right now.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

small change
September 2nd 05, 01:30 AM
wrote:
> small change wrote:
>> Me,
>> I'm downwind if Rainier ever blows.
>
> In the winter, maybe. Certainly you'll only get ash even then.
>
> The entire Duamish/Puyallup river valley systems will be destroyed due
> to lahar action.
>
> If you look at the geology unlying these regions you'll see that the
> west side really gets the shaft if Rainier goes like St. Helens.
>
> The east side gets it if Yellowstone blows.
>
> E.P.

heh heh, married to a geologist, and have most of geology degree myself.
Love that rock stuff, especially as it applies to humans being a blip on the
screen. ;-)

di
September 2nd 05, 01:35 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> small change wrote:
>> Me,
>> I'm downwind if Rainier ever blows.
>
> In the winter, maybe. Certainly you'll only get ash even then.
>
> The entire Duamish/Puyallup river valley systems will be destroyed due
> to lahar action.
>
> If you look at the geology unlying these regions you'll see that the
> west side really gets the shaft if Rainier goes like St. Helens.
>
> The east side gets it if Yellowstone blows.
>
> E.P.

If Yellowstone blows we all may get it, especially those of us West of the
Mississippi River.

Jimbo(san)
September 2nd 05, 02:18 PM
<Ride-A-Lot

Right now it's the only hope they have. The other two agencies (ASPCA
and Humane Society) put them in kill shelters. I believe in and
support
specific breed rescues (NJ Schnauzer Rescue Network and Sweeten
Wheatens), but N.O. needs mass rescue efforts right now.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
[url]www.schnauzers.ws>

My short essay on the subject...
Last year Carla and I went to the local pet expo and as we were walking
around I saw a very skinny looking puppy with the people at the North
Shore Animal League's booth I approached and the poor thing was so
timid... I realized it was missing one of it's rear legs... The dog and
I hit it off. I sat down with it and fed it some biscuit or another I
had gotten from another booth. The lady was pretty amazed. She told me
the dog was rescued from a shelter that had been been devastated from
one of the hurricanes that had hit down in Florida. It had been
forgotten and locked in it's a cage, injured for a long time before
being rescued and was very traumatized. The dog eventually had to have
it's leg amputated. I left with this dog on my mind... I couldn't stop
thinking about it and even though we live in an apartment that doesn't
want pets we figured out a way we could adopt it and leave it with my
parents during the day and bring her home at night. I called North
Shore and they told me the dog was adopted out... I was glad for the
dog but sad I didn't just adopt it then...
If the same situation arises from Katrina I _will_ adopt.
I am not crazy about the things I have heard about North Shore but they
had animals rescued from the same situation as what is going on now...
and I agree mass rescue is needed.

Jimbo(san)

--
Jimbo(san)

September 2nd 05, 11:27 PM
Ya what lives in Death Valley Ca thats below
sealevel. Maybe miners,mules,and camels.

Shawn
September 3rd 05, 12:16 AM
tillio wrote:
> Corvus Corvax wrote:
>
>>Following up my own post...
>>
>>I wrote:
>>
>>>I couldn't help but make the comparison between her and Giuliani after 9/11.
>>
>>I should have used the word _contrast_ here instead of comparison, of
>>course. When Giuliani had his first press conference on 9/11, he was
>>incredibly steady and reassuring. Blanco was anything but. She looked
>>like she was having a ****ing nervous breakdown.
>>
>>I feel so sorry for those people. I've already gotten some bucks to the
>>Red Cross.
>

> I sent them some ammo to kill looters.

Since when didshop lifting become a capital offense in America? Oh
wait. Maybe this isn't the same America anymore. Nevermind.
Where's my .308

Shawn

Shawn
September 3rd 05, 12:17 AM
wrote:
> Ya what lives in Death Valley Ca thats below
> sealevel. Maybe miners,mules,and camels.

Tourists.
Or the Dead Sea in Israel? They all seemed to suck.

Shawn

Paladin
September 4th 05, 08:42 PM
"Corvus Corvax" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>> Welcome to my life in the Marlton - Voorhees - Cherry Hill - Haddonfield
>> corridor. Home to just about every Philadelphia sports team athlete and
>> their rich lonely wives. More lawyers and doctors (and their rich
>> lonely wives) than their are patients and clients.
>>
>> Now I'm depressed.
>
> Cheer up. Sounds like it's pretty easy to get laid.
>
> CC

Yeah, I've been sleeping with a lawyer's wife for some time now...

CDB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home