PDA

View Full Version : Should I purchase a Kona Kikapu?

Doug Jordan
September 6th 05, 02:43 AM
I am 6'4", 200 lbs and 42 yrs old. My height seems to be a problem finding
some bikes. I am considering buying a Kona Kikapu. Does anyone have this
bike? Is it a durable bike for technical singletrack? I am wanting to go
to a full suspension but cannot afford anything over $1200. Does anyone
have any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Doug

D T W .../\\...
September 6th 05, 03:13 AM
"Doug Jordan" > wrote in message
> I am 6'4", 200 lbs and 42 yrs old. My height seems to be a problem
> finding some bikes. I am considering buying a Kona Kikapu. Does anyone
> have this bike? Is it a durable bike for technical singletrack? I am
> wanting to go to a full suspension but cannot afford anything over $1200.
> Does anyone have any other recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

With frame sizes up to 23" it should fit you and it's as good as anything
else in that price range.
Ask the shop to check the spoke tension for you and have a great ride,

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

Rudy
September 6th 05, 03:36 AM
"D T W .../\..." > wrote in message
> "Doug Jordan" > wrote in message
>> I am 6'4", 200 lbs and 42 yrs old. My height seems to be a problem
>> finding some bikes. I am considering buying a Kona Kikapu. Does anyone
>> have this bike? Is it a durable bike for technical singletrack? I am
>> wanting to go to a full suspension but cannot afford anything over $1200.
>> Does anyone have any other recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Doug
>

> With frame sizes up to 23" it should fit you and it's as good as anything
> else in that price range.
> Ask the shop to check the spoke tension for you and have a great ride,
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
> The rest, I've just wasted.

Good advice man. Ya it would be perfect for normal trails. Brake jack
isn't as good as the specialized 4 bar but it is good enough trust me. I
have been on a singlepivot for 2 years, time for a new FS frame. Think I am
going to pick up the Azonic Saber. 6" of true 4 bar.

JD
September 6th 05, 08:03 PM
Doug Jordan wrote:
> I am 6'4", 200 lbs and 42 yrs old. My height seems to be a problem finding
> some bikes. I am considering buying a Kona Kikapu. Does anyone have this
> bike? Is it a durable bike for technical singletrack? I am wanting to go
> to a full suspension but cannot afford anything over $1200. Does anyone
> have any other recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Take it from another tall clydesdale who has owned a cheap full
suspension, don't do it. If you have to have full suspension, save
your money for a well crafted botique bike like the Ventana El
Saltamontes. It'll fit better, last longer and ride better than any
cookie-cutter could ever hope to. If you don't have to go FS and would
like to depend on technical riding skill instead of the forgiving
nature of FS, get a Surly 1x1 and don't put a shock on the front of it.

JD 6'-7" 225 lbs 42 years old and riding a rigid singlespeed everywhere

Coyoteboy
September 7th 05, 01:36 PM
> Take it from another tall clydesdale who has owned a cheap full
> suspension, don't do it. If you have to have full suspension, save

Mate of mine built up a kikapu with some better bits - shock upgrade
and nice set of discs - works a treat, he was a hardtail fanatic, now
hes converted and as fast as ever. Its a lovely ride. Not exactly cheap
either, IMO 2000 is plenty for a decent FS xc steed.

JD
September 7th 05, 04:25 PM
Coyoteboy wrote:
> > Take it from another tall clydesdale who has owned a cheap full
> > suspension, don't do it. If you have to have full suspension, save
>
> Mate of mine built up a kikapu with some better bits - shock upgrade
> and nice set of discs - works a treat, he was a hardtail fanatic, now
> hes converted and as fast as ever. Its a lovely ride. Not exactly cheap
> either, IMO 2000 is plenty for a decent FS xc steed.

Which further proves my point. To make a cheap full suspension work
and work well for a clydesdale, you have to put so much money into it,
you may as well have saved another grand and gotten a botique bike that
wil be more dependable, a better design and even outlast good
componentry. When a frame breaks before a cranarm does, it was a POS
to begin with. You can't make a huffy a good bike with XTR and
Marzocchi.

JD

Coyoteboy
September 8th 05, 11:18 AM
JD wrote:

> Which further proves my point. To make a cheap full suspension work
> and work well for a clydesdale, you have to put so much money into it,
> you may as well have saved another grand and gotten a botique bike that
> wil be more dependable, a better design and even outlast good
> componentry.

Well, in all fairness he did buy the frame and build it from the ground
up with better parts for only fractionally more than the normal selling
price. The frame seems rock solid, and ive not heard of any other
people demolishing them - what happened? IMO the frame is a nicely
designed item and performs well. He is a light rider though.

Nath
September 8th 05, 12:04 PM
"Coyoteboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JD wrote:
>>
>> Which further proves my point. To make a cheap full suspension work
>> and work well for a clydesdale, you have to put so much money into it,
>> you may as well have saved another grand and gotten a botique bike that
>> wil be more dependable, a better design and even outlast good
>> componentry.
>
> Well, in all fairness he did buy the frame and build it from the ground
> up with better parts for only fractionally more than the normal selling
> price. The frame seems rock solid, and ive not heard of any other
> people demolishing them - what happened? IMO the frame is a nicely
> designed item and performs well. He is a light rider though.

Shame Kona are not interested in customers once you handled over the money.

Coyoteboy
September 8th 05, 03:32 PM
Nath wrote:
> Shame Kona are not interested in customers once you handled over the money.

NEver heard of anyone needign to contact them. I must get out in the
MTB community more lol.

Rudy
September 8th 05, 04:32 PM
"Coyoteboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Nath wrote:
>> Shame Kona are not interested in customers once you handled over the
>> money.
>
> NEver heard of anyone needign to contact them. I must get out in the
> MTB community more lol.

Nah they are more than good enough. Common sense... you can please some of
the people all of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Kona
is solid as per my experience.

JD
September 8th 05, 06:42 PM
Coyoteboy wrote:
> JD wrote:
> >
> > Which further proves my point. To make a cheap full suspension work
> > and work well for a clydesdale, you have to put so much money into it,
> > you may as well have saved another grand and gotten a botique bike that
> > wil be more dependable, a better design and even outlast good
> > componentry.
>
> Well, in all fairness he did buy the frame and build it from the ground
> up with better parts for only fractionally more than the normal selling
> price. The frame seems rock solid, and ive not heard of any other
> people demolishing them - what happened? IMO the frame is a nicely
> designed item and performs well. He is a light rider though.

No frame is "rock solid". The biggest difference in a cookie-cutter
frame and a botique frame is the attention to detail in materials used
and the fabrication process. The design on a cookie-cutter may be
sound, though what about the materials and fabrication process? A kona
will break as soon as a trek under the same rider and conditions.

JD

JD
September 8th 05, 06:45 PM
Nath wrote:
> Shame Kona are not interested in customers once you handled over the money.

Customer service begins at offering and providing an excellent product.
How excellent are the cheap chinese spokes kona puts on many of their
bikes? A broken frame isn't going to do anything for you, except make
you wait for a new one at best.

JD

Dan Shepperd
October 11th 05, 10:57 AM
Doug Jordan wrote:
> I am 6'4", 200 lbs and 42 yrs old. My height seems to be a problem finding
> some bikes. I am considering buying a Kona Kikapu. Does anyone have this
> bike? Is it a durable bike for technical singletrack? I am wanting to go
> to a full suspension but cannot afford anything over $1200. Does anyone
> have any other recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Hi Doug

I'm a similar height to you (6'3") and I ride a 20" 2004 Kikapu Deluxe.
I can't comment on the standard Kikapu because the suspension and
finishing kit are different on the Deluxe, but I have found mine to be
quite excellent for singletrack riding.

Obviously it is a cross country bike so you may find it doesn't
appreciate significant drop-offs or being jumped. In terms of its
geometry its neither too relaxed nor too aggressive so its ideal for a
day long ride. Obviously you'll want to test ride, if only to check the
sizing.

Good luck with your decision making!

Dan

Google