PDA

View Full Version : Broke my bike :-(

JP
September 7th 05, 03:48 AM
Front derailleur had a mind of its own yesterday
as I started up the hill of my third black diamond.
Wouldn't stop shifting into high gear. .
Stopped and couldn't find anything wrong.
Took a bailout a few miles later, still couldn't
find the problem.

Decided to check over the shifting today.
Studied Zinn, wd40'd the derailleur assemblies
to loosen the grime. Thumbed the shifter to feel
the cable tension and...why is the rear suspension
moving. Look at the suspension to check for loose
bolts and ....Holy Crap!!! The seat tube is cracked clear
apart maybe three inches over the bottom bracket.

Poor baby never got to wear out a chain.
Only 13 months on the trails.
A look at the WWW shows that mine is not the first
Hollowpoint to do this either.

Called My Bike Shop. Told them what happened.
Bring it they said. Put a tag on it and said
We'll take care of it. Yeah Frenchies!!!

So it will be the roads for a while. Unless I want to
ride one of the kid's bikes, or the wifes.
But they are Hardtails, and I am old.

September 7th 05, 02:41 PM
JP wrote:
> Front derailleur had a mind of its own yesterday
> as I started up the hill of my third black diamond.
> Wouldn't stop shifting into high gear. .
> Stopped and couldn't find anything wrong.
> Took a bailout a few miles later, still couldn't
> find the problem.
>
> Decided to check over the shifting today.
> Studied Zinn, wd40'd the derailleur assemblies
> to loosen the grime. Thumbed the shifter to feel
> the cable tension and...why is the rear suspension
> moving. Look at the suspension to check for loose
> bolts and ....Holy Crap!!! The seat tube is cracked clear
> apart maybe three inches over the bottom bracket.
>
> Poor baby never got to wear out a chain.
> Only 13 months on the trails.
> A look at the WWW shows that mine is not the first
> Hollowpoint to do this either.
>
> Called My Bike Shop. Told them what happened.
> Bring it they said. Put a tag on it and said
> We'll take care of it. Yeah Frenchies!!!
>
> So it will be the roads for a while. Unless I want to
> ride one of the kid's bikes, or the wifes.
> But they are Hardtails, and I am old.

Bummer. Is the break at a weld? I'm looking at a pic and 3" above the
bb looks right around where the derr would clamp to the seat tube, or
just below what looks like a welded-on reinforcement sleeve that
attaches the pivot to the frame. What's the common belief on the reason
for breakage?
May your new frame be delivered with great expedience.
/s

Carla A-G
September 7th 05, 02:45 PM
"JP" > wrote in message
> Called My Bike Shop. Told them what happened.
> Bring it they said. Put a tag on it and said
> We'll take care of it. Yeah Frenchies!!!

Wait a minute...Frenchies in Long Island? Are you from LI? Monkeyboy?
Identify yourself...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

JD
September 7th 05, 04:20 PM
Next time buy a bicycle instead of a bicycle shaped toy if you are ging
to use it for mountain biking. Iron Horse is an abomination sold only
at sporting goods stores, online thieves and big box bicycle retailers.

JD

JP
September 7th 05, 05:24 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bummer. Is the break at a weld? I'm looking at a pic and 3" above the
> bb looks right around where the derr would clamp to the seat tube, or
> just below what looks like a welded-on reinforcement sleeve that
> attaches the pivot to the frame. What's the common belief on the reason
> for breakage?
> May your new frame be delivered with great expedience.
> /s

Not at a weld. But you're right about the location.
It snapped clean in two just about a half inch over
where the derraileur clamps on. The welded on bracket for the
rear shock is about two inches over the snap. This is from memory,
the bike is in the shop right now. But for sure the break occured at
an untouched part of the tube.

Why? There's online reference to a bad manufacturing run. Could be BS.
Could be my bulk. I started riding after a forty year absence when I bought
the bike last July. Maybe the makers didn't anticipate the number of times
I would fall in the first few months.

Now that the nice weather is upon us I hope the frame comes soon.
I'll miss the nice scuffed appearance of the old one though. It'll take a
while to put the proper patina back on a new frame. Thanks.

JP

JP
September 7th 05, 05:31 PM
"Carla A-G" > wrote in message

> Wait a minute...Frenchies in Long Island? Are you from LI? Monkeyboy?
> Identify yourself...
>
> - CA-G

Yes, Yes, No.

just an old solitary biker at Cathedral hoppin' roots

saw a little flock of five wild turkeys there last week,
a first for me

JP
September 7th 05, 05:40 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Next time buy a bicycle instead of a bicycle shaped toy if you are ging
> to use it for mountain biking. Iron Horse is an abomination sold only
> at sporting goods stores, online thieves and big box bicycle retailers.
>
> JD

Oh boy, a reprimand, an opinion and advice. Gee thanks!!!

Carla A-G
September 7th 05, 09:03 PM
"JP" > wrote in message

> "Carla A-G" > wrote in message
> >

> > Wait a minute...Frenchies in Long Island? Are you from LI? Monkeyboy?
> > Identify yourself...
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> Yes, Yes, No.
>
> just an old solitary biker at Cathedral hoppin' roots
>
> saw a little flock of five wild turkeys there last week,
> a first for me

Join us for a ride sometime. We ride Cathedral often.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Rudy
September 8th 05, 02:57 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Next time buy a bicycle instead of a bicycle shaped toy if you are ging
> to use it for mountain biking. Iron Horse is an abomination sold only
> at sporting goods stores, online thieves and big box bicycle retailers.
>
> JD

The IH DH and higher end FR bikes like the SGS team are really nice. Oh and
I have had a Vantena El Cuervo, rode one last season so I know what kind of
high standards and quality a real DH bike has. The IH sgs and new Sunday
frames are solid and high quality. The best were the Karpiel Armagedon
frmaes... man I wish they were still in business.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home