PDA

View Full Version : dinged chain ring

gabrielle
September 8th 05, 01:12 AM
While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click &
a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
rest of the ring.

Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)

gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.

Jason
September 8th 05, 01:14 AM
* gabrielle >:
> While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click &
> a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
> examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
> rest of the ring.
>
> Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>
> gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.

Been there done that. Bent a tooth on a rock that I didn't quite clear
as smoothly as I hoped one day and had the same problem you know have.

Being unemployed for the summers at that time I took a pair of vise
grips and gently tweaked the tooth back into place. Worked like a charm.
The key word though is gently.

Jason

G.T.
September 8th 05, 01:20 AM
"gabrielle" > wrote in message
> While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click &
> a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
> examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
> rest of the ring.
>
> Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>
> gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.

Hammer it. Or better yet take a small crescent wrench, tighten it over the
tooth, and bend back straight.

Greg

small change
September 8th 05, 01:22 AM
gabrielle wrote:
> While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a
> click & a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon
> closer examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of
> plane with the rest of the ring.
>
> Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>
> gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.

buy a new one, simple allen wrench job

Ride-A-Lot
September 8th 05, 01:34 AM
gabrielle wrote:
> While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click &
> a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
> examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
> rest of the ring.
>
> Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>
> gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.

Ack! The last time I took a wrench to bent teeth, it came right off the
ring. This was on a Race Face big ring last week right before my race.
Had to go searching the world for a 44 4-bolt and finally got an LBS
to pull a Bontcrapper off a Trek.

Get a new one!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Shaun aRe
September 8th 05, 11:32 AM
"Jason" > wrote in message
> * gabrielle >:
> > While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click
&
> > a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
> > examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
> > rest of the ring.
> >
> > Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
> >
> > gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.
>
> Been there done that. Bent a tooth on a rock that I didn't quite clear
> as smoothly as I hoped one day and had the same problem you know have.
>
> Being unemployed for the summers at that time I took a pair of vise
> grips and gently tweaked the tooth back into place. Worked like a charm.
> The key word though is gently.
>
> Jason

Had a rock bounce up and bend my big ring at 90 deg, about right at the bolt
circle. Fixed that with a FBH (AKA '****ting stick') on a flat slab of
stone, finishing off with a vice, pliers and mole grips. Rode it until it
wore out as usual - zero problems. Then again though, I'm an
impro-fix-it-up-genius, so it wouldn't work for anyone else.

Shaun aRe

Dean A. Stepper
September 8th 05, 03:59 PM
"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "Jason" > wrote in message
>> * gabrielle >:
>> > While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a
>> > click
> &
>> > a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
>> > examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with
>> > the
>> > rest of the ring.
>> >
>> > Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>> >
>> > gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.
>>
>> Been there done that. Bent a tooth on a rock that I didn't quite clear
>> as smoothly as I hoped one day and had the same problem you know have.
>>
>> Being unemployed for the summers at that time I took a pair of vise
>> grips and gently tweaked the tooth back into place. Worked like a charm.
>> The key word though is gently.
>>
>> Jason
>
> Had a rock bounce up and bend my big ring at 90 deg, about right at the
> bolt
> circle. Fixed that with a FBH (AKA '****ting stick') on a flat slab of
> stone, finishing off with a vice, pliers and mole grips. Rode it until it
> wore out as usual - zero problems. Then again though, I'm an
> impro-fix-it-up-genius, so it wouldn't work for anyone else.
>

> Shaun aRe

I am assuming that it is an aluminum chain ring, if so it will most likely
break when you try to bending it back.

I have ridden around on chainrings missing teeth for months...until I felt
like fixing it. A bent tooth would be more probelmatic. I would try to
straighten it and if it broke would look around for a cheap replacement. I
usually replace my broken XT chainrings with LX stuff as it is cheaper and I
can not tell the difference; but then again, I can't tell when I am missing
a tooth on the ring!

JD
September 8th 05, 06:51 PM
gabrielle wrote:
> While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click &
> a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
> examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
> rest of the ring.
>
> Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>
> gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.

Crescent wrench, slowly bend it back.

JD

Phil, Squid-in-Training
September 9th 05, 12:43 AM
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...

>> &

>>> Been there done that. Bent a tooth on a rock that I didn't quite
>>> clear as smoothly as I hoped one day and had the same problem you
>>> know have. Being unemployed for the summers at that time I took a pair
>>> of vise
>>> grips and gently tweaked the tooth back into place. Worked like a
>>> charm. The key word though is gently.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> Had a rock bounce up and bend my big ring at 90 deg, about right at
>> the bolt
>> circle. Fixed that with a FBH (AKA '****ting stick') on a flat slab
>> of stone, finishing off with a vice, pliers and mole grips. Rode it
>> until it wore out as usual - zero problems. Then again though, I'm an
>> impro-fix-it-up-genius, so it wouldn't work for anyone else.
>>

>> Shaun aRe
>>

> I am assuming that it is an aluminum chain ring, if so it will most
> likely break when you try to bending it back.

I bet you it won't. Now if it were glass...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Shawn
September 9th 05, 01:24 AM
G.T. wrote:
> "gabrielle" > wrote in message
>
>>While I was troubleshooting my RD, I noticed my chain was making a click &
>>a jump at a certain point on my middle chain ring. Upon closer
>>examination, I discovered one of the teeth is bent out of plane with the
>>rest of the ring.
>>
>>Take it off & hammer it, or buy a new one? :)
>>
>>gabrielle, really in the mood for using a hammer.
>

> Hammer it. Or better yet take a small crescent wrench, tighten it over the
> tooth, and bend back straight.
>
> Greg

That's what I do too. If ya wanna be real tight sphinctered about it,
you can use a file to clean up the inevitable gouges.

Shawn

Shaun aRe
September 9th 05, 01:03 PM
"Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...

> > &

> >> Been there done that. Bent a tooth on a rock that I didn't quite clear
> >> as smoothly as I hoped one day and had the same problem you know have.
> >>
> >> Being unemployed for the summers at that time I took a pair of vise
> >> grips and gently tweaked the tooth back into place. Worked like a
charm.
> >> The key word though is gently.
> >>
> >> Jason
> >
> > Had a rock bounce up and bend my big ring at 90 deg, about right at the
> > bolt
> > circle. Fixed that with a FBH (AKA '****ting stick') on a flat slab of
> > stone, finishing off with a vice, pliers and mole grips. Rode it until
it
> > wore out as usual - zero problems. Then again though, I'm an
> > impro-fix-it-up-genius, so it wouldn't work for anyone else.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> I am assuming that it is an aluminum chain ring, if so it will most likely
> break when you try to bending it back.

Mine was an Alu chain ring. It bent back from *90* deg.. It stayed
functioning until the teeth wore out. However, see above about me being a
genius, heheheh...

Shaun aRe

September 10th 05, 01:09 PM
Show me I use to live in MO the show me state. Then I'll
tell you what I rec.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home