PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird tips?

MattB
September 9th 05, 10:19 PM
I have to spend a week in Snowbird for work the week after next. I'm
bringing my bike for before and after work rides. I probably won't get
any large time blocks to do anything big (like the ride to Alta, which I
hear is nice). Can anyone recommend anything near the resort that would
be fun for an hour or two? I see they have a trail network
(http://www.snowbird.com/imagelib/trailmaps/summer_trails.pdf) and I
plan on checking that out, but I thought I'd post in case there's
something better right nearby.

LMK if you have any good tips. Thanks!

Matt

Raptor
September 10th 05, 05:09 AM
MattB wrote:
> I have to spend a week in Snowbird for work the week after next. I'm
> bringing my bike for before and after work rides. I probably won't get
> any large time blocks to do anything big (like the ride to Alta, which I
> hear is nice). Can anyone recommend anything near the resort that would
> be fun for an hour or two? I see they have a trail network
> (http://www.snowbird.com/imagelib/trailmaps/summer_trails.pdf) and I
> plan on checking that out, but I thought I'd post in case there's
> something better right nearby.
>
> LMK if you have any good tips. Thanks!
>
> Matt

There's too much wilderness in that canyon to provide much beyond cat
tracks. Alta is really close though. Ride up the road(s) to Albion
basin. With the weather we've had, the wildflowers might well still be
fresh. You should be able to return to Snowbird via Germania Pass (cat
track), after much high-elevation climbing. Assuming you're nice and
strong, reserve about three hours. If you return by road, it'll take
about 15 minutes. We're talking less than five miles, I guess.

If you can swing it, take a half day (at least) and try the Wasatch
Crest. It's at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Most do it as a
point-to-point shuttle, but it's well worth an out-and-back from Scot's
Pass. Do about six miles each way for a good taste. Not having gotten
around much myself, I'd be interested in your comparison of it with
other marvelous trails you've done.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home