PDA

View Full Version : Ping: PennyS/small change or people who commute in the wet

Phil, Squid-in-Training
September 12th 05, 03:35 AM
Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if we're
riding MTB in the rain, what about if you're commuting, and you can't be
soaked at your destination? I need to get to class, but if it's raining
real hard, I only have a rain jacket.

What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that there's a lot
of golf products out there... I'm looking for water-resistant at the very
least. Waterproof isn't as big of a deal because I want to be able to
breath somewhat, even if I end up a little damp.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Micheal Artindale
September 12th 05, 03:42 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
message news:4Q5Ve.13418$Cc5.735@lakeread06...
> Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if we're
> riding MTB in the rain, what about if you're commuting, and you can't be
> soaked at your destination? I need to get to class, but if it's raining
> real hard, I only have a rain jacket.

Bring a change of clothes and wear your shorts

> What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that there's a
lot
> of golf products out there... I'm looking for water-resistant at the very
> least. Waterproof isn't as big of a deal because I want to be able to
> breath somewhat, even if I end up a little damp.

Go buy a pair of rain pants that have an elastic waist. Duct tape the bottom
so they dont get caught in the drivetrain. Bring a pair of shoes and dry
socks.

Rain is the worst of the weather around here.

Micheal

Ride-A-Lot
September 12th 05, 11:45 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if we're
> riding MTB in the rain, what about if you're commuting, and you can't be
> soaked at your destination? I need to get to class, but if it's raining
> real hard, I only have a rain jacket.
>
> What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that there's a lot
> of golf products out there... I'm looking for water-resistant at the very
> least. Waterproof isn't as big of a deal because I want to be able to
> breath somewhat, even if I end up a little damp.

Move to the desert.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

gabrielle
September 12th 05, 04:10 PM
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that there's a lot
>> of golf products out there... I'm looking for water-resistant at the very
>> least. Waterproof isn't as big of a deal because I want to be able to
>> breath somewhat, even if I end up a little damp.
IME cycling in waterproof (even highly water-resistant) material is
miserable-making. But that's here in the PNW where it never really rains,
it's more of a constant mist. Not sure what it would be like somewhere
that has torrential downpours.

>Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Move to the desert.

<sam_kinison>Move where the food is!</>

gabrielle

GeeDubb
September 12th 05, 04:38 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if
>> we're riding MTB in the rain, what about if you're commuting, and
>> you can't be soaked at your destination? I need to get to class,
>> but if it's raining real hard, I only have a rain jacket.
>>
>> What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that
>> there's a lot of golf products out there... I'm looking for
>> water-resistant at the very least. Waterproof isn't as big of a
>> deal because I want to be able to breath somewhat, even if I end up
>> a little damp.
>
> Move to the desert.

Hey, we get our share of rain....well....this year we did as it was once
again raining Friday morning.

Gary

Ride-A-Lot
September 12th 05, 05:07 PM
gabrielle wrote:
>>Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>Move to the desert.
>

> <sam_kinison>Move where the food is!</>

LOL! The best HBO special ever!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Paladin
September 12th 05, 07:11 PM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
message news:4Q5Ve.13418$Cc5.735@lakeread06...
> Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if we're
> riding MTB in the rain, what about if you're commuting, and you can't be
> soaked at your destination? I need to get to class, but if it's raining
> real hard, I only have a rain jacket.
>
> What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that there's a
> lot of golf products out there... I'm looking for water-resistant at the
> very least. Waterproof isn't as big of a deal because I want to be able
> to breath somewhat, even if I end up a little damp.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training
Rain.... hmmm, heard of that once. What is it again?

CDB

bomba
September 12th 05, 09:54 PM
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:35:45 -0400, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if we're
> riding MTB in the rain, what about if you're commuting, and you can't be
> soaked at your destination? I need to get to class, but if it's raining
> real hard, I only have a rain jacket.
>
> What kind of leg rain protection do you guys use? I see that there's a lot
> of golf products out there... I'm looking for water-resistant at the very
> least. Waterproof isn't as big of a deal because I want to be able to
> breath somewhat, even if I end up a little damp.

No matter how breathable a fabric, you'll always end up sweaty. Get a
courier bag and take a change of clothes.

Coyoteboy
September 13th 05, 03:36 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Okay, so although pretty much all of us are wearing our shorts if we're
Rain is the only weather we have. TAke a change of clothes in a
plastic bag.

Coyoteboy
September 13th 05, 03:37 PM
bomba wrote:

> No matter how breathable a fabric, you'll always end up sweaty. Get a
> courier bag and take a change of clothes.

Got a pair of goretex leggings, never a sweaty moment. Then i dont
sweat too much as standard. Also got a gore sleeping bag cover, and can
stay all night in that without condensation.

Ride-A-Lot
September 13th 05, 03:54 PM
Coyoteboy wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>

>>No matter how breathable a fabric, you'll always end up sweaty. Get a
>>courier bag and take a change of clothes.
>

> Got a pair of goretex leggings, never a sweaty moment. Then i dont
> sweat too much as standard. Also got a gore sleeping bag cover, and can
> stay all night in that without condensation.

I've noticed that when I sleep above the ground (i.e. cot) in my 2p tent
(http://tinyurl.com/82ghr) it doesn't condensate. When I sleep on the
floor, it does. Strange?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Coyoteboy
September 13th 05, 04:01 PM
Presumably due to the ground being colder than the air below when you
are suspended above it? Wouldnt think it would affect the rest of the
walls tho?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home