PDA

View Full Version : 1st experience w/ table rock.

x1134x
September 13th 05, 08:14 AM
Took the BSO up table rock today. I live a beer-bottle's toss from the
old penitentary, so I went through the park back entrance and along the
foot of the hill to the gravel parking lot by the pen. Up the hill I
went. Now I USED to be in good shape, I played football in High School
(8 years ago) and took 2nd in state pole vault. Although I'm the same
height/weight as back then, I've let myself go none of that weight is
muscle mass anymore. I willed myself to stay astride the whole way, and
made it half. Took a gander (I need to bring the camera next time) and
a breather, then back up the hill I went. I don't remember the trail
names, (lack of O2 to the brain), but I Made it to where the trail
stops heading north-eastish and heads more south-eastish. Just as I
was coming to the top of a hill and salivating at getting to go
downhill for a minute, I notice the caltrop in my front tire. The tire
still feels like it has 60 lbs, but when I pull the goathead out, it
starts leaking a LITTLE. "Crap" (censored) I think, and since i didnt'
bring anything with me, (I was just exploring my new neighborhood) I
decide to head for the shed. WHAT A BLAST! I came down the mountain
at mach 10, I only had to slow up for two hikers walking together, (The
brake work I did today works awesome) When I got back past the
penitentary, I still had good speed, and tire seemed fine, so i kept
going straight untill the trail came to a dirt road, then I turned
around and went home. I can guarantee you one person who is going to
be back out there tomorrow. . . . With my camera.

Although I must admit the idea has already popped into my head to throw
the bike in the back of the truck and DRIVE it up there, then fly down
on the bike and take my wife and her jeep back for the truck. Nah, I
think I NEED the exercise.

Coyoteboy
September 13th 05, 02:36 PM
x1134x wrote:
> Although I must admit the idea has already popped into my head to throw
> the bike in the back of the truck and DRIVE it up there, then fly down
> on the bike and take my wife and her jeep back for the truck. Nah, I
> think I NEED the exercise.

LOL, thats extreme environmental abuse, you'll have mikey on your tail
if you do.

Paladin
September 13th 05, 02:52 PM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Took the BSO up table rock today. I live a beer-bottle's toss from the
> old penitentary, so I went through the park back entrance and along the
> foot of the hill to the gravel parking lot by the pen. Up the hill I
> went.

That's a stout climb. Welcome to the hood. I've written that ride up a
couple times in the past. Most times, I actually prefer to take the paved
then dirt road up to the top, nice long, fairly easy grind.

Now I USED to be in good shape, I played football in High School
> (8 years ago) and took 2nd in state pole vault. Although I'm the same
> height/weight as back then, I've let myself go none of that weight is
> muscle mass anymore. I willed myself to stay astride the whole way, and
> made it half. Took a gander (I need to bring the camera next time) and
> a breather, then back up the hill I went. I don't remember the trail
> names, (lack of O2 to the brain), but I Made it to where the trail
> stops heading north-eastish and heads more south-eastish.

That's a good breather spot.

Just as I
> was coming to the top of a hill and salivating at getting to go
> downhill for a minute, I notice the caltrop in my front tire. The tire
> still feels like it has 60 lbs, but when I pull the goathead out, it
> starts leaking a LITTLE.

I always pull them out too, (rather than leave them in to plug the hole)
and if you don't have slime tubes, that can be fatal...

"Crap" (censored) I think, and since i didnt'
> bring anything with me, (I was just exploring my new neighborhood) I
> decide to head for the shed. WHAT A BLAST! I came down the mountain
> at mach 10, I only had to slow up for two hikers walking together, (The
> brake work I did today works awesome) When I got back past the
> penitentary, I still had good speed, and tire seemed fine, so i kept
> going straight untill the trail came to a dirt road, then I turned
> around and went home. I can guarantee you one person who is going to
> be back out there tomorrow. . . . With my camera.
>
> Although I must admit the idea has already popped into my head to throw
> the bike in the back of the truck and DRIVE it up there, then fly down
> on the bike and take my wife and her jeep back for the truck. Nah, I
> think I NEED the exercise.

That is a really fun area, but that climb up the face is a gutbuster. My
group used to wanna meet there every Mon nt in the summer. I finally told
them they were idiots. Too hot for such immediate, in your face climbing...

A couple shots so your fans will know where you were:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=107586

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=106016

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=48268

CDB

GeeDubb
September 13th 05, 04:03 PM
Paladin wrote:
> That is a really fun area, but that climb up the face is a gutbuster.
> My group used to wanna meet there every Mon nt in the summer. I
> finally told them they were idiots. Too hot for such immediate, in
> your face climbing...

Come visit me in April through September and I'll show you what hot really
is. I've got just the hill next to the house, too.

:-)
Gary

JD
September 13th 05, 04:41 PM
x1134x wrote:
> Now I USED to be in good shape, I played football in High School

Do you sell women's shoes too, Al?

JD

Ride-A-Lot
September 13th 05, 04:57 PM
JD wrote:
> x1134x wrote:
>
>>Now I USED to be in good shape, I played football in High School
>

> Do you sell women's shoes too, Al?
>
> JD

LOL!!!!! He's probably too young to get that, but I thought it was very
funny.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

x1134x
September 13th 05, 09:17 PM
>>>Now I USED to be in good shape, I played football in High School

>> Do you sell women's shoes too, Al?

>> JD

>LOL!!!!! He's probably too young to get that, but I thought it was very
>funny.

I get it, I used to wat Married w/ children. (BTW I'm 26) Al is my
hero. He's just like me. High-school is the last time anything
strenously physical was done. I subsequently went to DeVRY, then got a
network administrator job, so I exercise only my fingers now, and
mostly the index.

Chris, The 3rd link you put up, on the 1st picture, you are looking
DOWN on how far i got, I was about 100yds from the highest house you
see there when I noticed the puncture. Man must be another hella climb
to get where that picture was taken. Is it suicide to go to the cross
from that side, or should I just go up warm springs and take the paved
switchbacks?

x1134x
September 13th 05, 09:20 PM
It's my personal version of a SKI LIFT, It would be great if you COULD
take your bike up a ski lift, then the ski resorts could stay open in
the summer, and we could have a blast withouth deathly hard climbs to
the top.

Paladin
September 14th 05, 01:06 AM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>>> Do you sell women's shoes too, Al?
>
>>> JD
>
>>LOL!!!!! He's probably too young to get that, but I thought it was very
>>funny.
>
> I get it, I used to wat Married w/ children. (BTW I'm 26) Al is my
> hero. He's just like me. High-school is the last time anything
> strenously physical was done. I subsequently went to DeVRY, then got a
> network administrator job, so I exercise only my fingers now, and
> mostly the index.
>
> Chris, The 3rd link you put up, on the 1st picture, you are looking
> DOWN on how far i got, I was about 100yds from the highest house you
> see there when I noticed the puncture. Man must be another hella climb
> to get where that picture was taken. Is it suicide to go to the cross
> from that side, or should I just go up warm springs and take the paved
> switchbacks?

It's a terrible climb up the face. Best I ever did was the whole works from
the old Pen with one brief stop at the last big switchback on the face, and
I was in terrific shape, training for races, etc., a few years back. My
buddy Kevin, King of the Clydesdales did it without even that brief stop I
took.

YMMV, but it's a buttkick, probably even for a guy in his 20's. Much more
fun and doable to just take Reserve St (I think) to Table Rock Road and
follow it up the paved part until the last 1.5mi or so that turns to a
fairly steep dirt road. Then you can enjoy the view and then ride down the
face of TR with gravity working for you..

CDB

x1134x
September 14th 05, 04:12 AM
ya wanna do this w/ me sometime, so I have someone to call the
paramedics after I break every bone in my body?

Shaun aRe
September 14th 05, 11:06 AM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's my personal version of a SKI LIFT, It would be great if you COULD
> take your bike up a ski lift, then the ski resorts could stay open in
> the summer, and we could have a blast withouth deathly hard climbs to
> the top.

Some of them do just that.

Shaun aRe

GeeDubb
September 14th 05, 03:43 PM
Shaun aRe wrote:
> "x1134x" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> It's my personal version of a SKI LIFT, It would be great if you
>> COULD take your bike up a ski lift, then the ski resorts could stay
>> open in the summer, and we could have a blast withouth deathly hard
>> climbs to the top.
>
> Some of them do just that.
>

> Shaun aRe

If you can't ride to the top then what's the point? After all it is
"MOUNTAIN" biking.

Gary

Coyoteboy
September 14th 05, 04:50 PM
GeeDubb wrote:
> If you can't ride to the top then what's the point? After all it is
> "MOUNTAIN" biking.
>
> Gary

I see your point, and id ride to the top, but if there were ski lifts
id do that instead - theres nothing better than a downhill for free :D

MattB
September 14th 05, 05:10 PM
Coyoteboy wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>
>>If you can't ride to the top then what's the point? After all it is
>>"MOUNTAIN" biking.
>>
>>Gary
>

> I see your point, and id ride to the top, but if there were ski lifts
> id do that instead - theres nothing better than a downhill for free :D

None of the ski areas I know let you have your downhill for free.
You gotta' pay one way or another!

Matt

Ride-A-Lot
September 14th 05, 05:23 PM
Coyoteboy wrote:
> GeeDubb wrote:
>
>>If you can't ride to the top then what's the point? After all it is
>>"MOUNTAIN" biking.
>>
>>Gary
>

> I see your point, and id ride to the top, but if there were ski lifts
> id do that instead - theres nothing better than a downhill for free :D

DH is much more rewarding when you *EARN* it! Get off your duff
shuttlemonkey, and ride up that hill!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

MattB
September 14th 05, 05:36 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Coyoteboy wrote:
>
>> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>>> If you can't ride to the top then what's the point? After all it is
>>> "MOUNTAIN" biking.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>

>> I see your point, and id ride to the top, but if there were ski lifts
>> id do that instead - theres nothing better than a downhill for free :D

> DH is much more rewarding when you *EARN* it! Get off your duff
> shuttlemonkey, and ride up that hill!

I wonder if the bike is a factor here. I don't mind riding *my* bike up
hills, but I might feel differently on a Next.

Matt

Paladin
September 14th 05, 05:43 PM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> ya wanna do this w/ me sometime, so I have someone to call the
> paramedics after I break every bone in my body?

Sure, I'm commuting on my cross bike, which would be perfect for a ride up
the road, or I can ride the singlespeed in to work and just meet you
somewhere downtown. Ideally for me would be to meet you around 5-ish for
the ride. Let me know if that time works for you.

Also, I might possibly be open to that ride around 8am this Saturday before
I help run a SWIMBA table at the Hyde Park St. Fair. Whatever.

Keeping your speed in check on the descent is important for the continued
enjoyment of things we all like to do unencumbered, like eating, walking,
avoiding wheelchairs, etc. ;~)

CDB

JD
September 14th 05, 05:55 PM
Paladin wrote:
> "x1134x" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > ya wanna do this w/ me sometime, so I have someone to call the
> > paramedics after I break every bone in my body?
> >

> Sure

Be sure to let us know how thrashed his wallyworld bike gets.

JD

Coyoteboy
September 14th 05, 06:19 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> DH is much more rewarding when you *EARN* it! Get off your duff
> shuttlemonkey, and ride up that hill!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

You wouldnt be saying that if you had my bike - 45lbs of old-school
suspension and steel cranks. Give me your steed and I'll lap up the
hills.

Paladin
September 14th 05, 07:22 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Paladin wrote:
>> "x1134x" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > ya wanna do this w/ me sometime, so I have someone to call the
>> > paramedics after I break every bone in my body?
>> >

>> Sure
>

> Be sure to let us know how thrashed his wallyworld bike gets.
>
> JD

Remember where we wore the electric glasses and watched the fireworks? And
boy that was a fun day.

That's where I'd be taking him...

CDB

JD
September 14th 05, 09:44 PM
Paladin wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Paladin wrote:
> >> "x1134x" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
> >> >

> >> Sure
> >

> > Be sure to let us know how thrashed his wallyworld bike gets.
> >
> > JD
> >
> Remember where we wore the electric glasses and watched the fireworks? And
> boy that was a fun day.
>
> That's where I'd be taking him...

I remember that place. The climb looks pretty tough, especially if in
the afternoon Sun.

JD

DP
September 15th 05, 03:07 AM
> That is a really fun area, but that climb up the face is a gutbuster. My
> group used to wanna meet there every Mon nt in the summer. I finally told
> them they were idiots. Too hot for such immediate, in your face
> climbing...

You guys are so lucky to have those gutbusters with views! When I lived in
NorCal I used to ride a 5 mile climb 3-4 times a week (Oat Hill Mine
something or other) and just loved it, especially the views at the top.
Here in KY there'll be none of that. My local ride in Frankfort is nice
singletrack and very well kept but the one climb, while good is just not
comparable. I miss great riding, I don't even have the same passion for it
anymore. It's more exercise than something I can't wait to do. Last good
riding I did was in N. Georgia a year ago. Still, nothing compares to the
west!
Drew

Paladin
September 15th 05, 04:08 AM
"GeeDubb" > wrote in message
> Paladin wrote:
>> That is a really fun area, but that climb up the face is a gutbuster.
>> My group used to wanna meet there every Mon nt in the summer. I
>> finally told them they were idiots. Too hot for such immediate, in
>> your face climbing...
>
> Come visit me in April through September and I'll show you what hot really
> is. I've got just the hill next to the house, too.
>
> :-)
> Gary

Tell your womenfolk I'm on my way. Fire up the Kona...

CDB

x1134x
September 15th 05, 10:07 AM
I don't care if the bike I was on only weighed 2 pounds, I wasn't gonna
make it all the way up without stopping.

x1134x
September 15th 05, 10:38 AM
Well I didn't get to go out yesterday, my wife made me ride the
greenbelt w/ her, so I did 12 miles. I got 7 goatheads in the front
and 1 in the rear. FROM THE GREENBELT! I think some Vandemann types
are purposely collecting them and spreading them on the greenbelt, cuz
i never left the asphalt/concrete. My wife didn't get any however. So
anyway, I gave it a shot tonight just before dark, I had to take breaks
just going up the pavement. I am WAY out of shape in the legs area. I
also had NO IDEA where I was going, so I did some exporing, ended up
cutting through a construction area to a trail I saw a biker on, and
headed up it. I saw a trail post that pointed up an ungodly trail and
said "Table Rock" so I dug down and headed up it. I pedaled till I died
and was resurrected, then I escorted the bike a little then got back
on.

When I got to the top of that trail there was another post that said
Table Rock --> (right) Rock Garden Trail ^ (ahead). I could see the
cross, and it still seemed a half mile to the north. It was getting
pretty dark, and since I don't have a headlight, I headed home.

It took me like 1/10th of the time it took me to get up there to get
home. I was confused as to how this trail I had gotten myself on was
going to get back to the road. I came to an area where the old trail
was fenced and said construction area keep out. It seemed as though
people had not been keeping out, and since I didn't plan on desecrating
the area or stealing anything, (and it really was starting to get dark)
I did a little trespassing. (again) But then I got stuck at the bottom
of a steep dirt road behind me and I could see the pavement about 60 ft
below me. It was pretty steep, but I figured: No balls, No balls. And
down I went. Made it the whole way down leaning as far back as I could
and sliding on the rear brake. Other than some scrapes on my
unprotected legs from the weeds I made it. I now felt like I had balls.
Of course after hitting the road It was easy from there. (There is a
CRAPLOAD of glass on the north side of warm springs by the LDS church)

One more thing. You may notice the time of this post. (3:30 am
Mountain time) I am a high-anxiety person, which my doctor says means
I produce more adrenaline than I need and it puts me in fight/flight
mode. I'm on Lexapro to help combat high adrenaline levels. I've tried
to go to sleep since midnight. When I went out I stressed my legs to
failure multiple times. I don't think even the extreme exercise I got
can make me tired when I dump that much adrenaline in my system from
going DOWN the trail. It's awesome. It's like my snowboard, but for
summer.

Did I need to stay on the pavement more and go up by the houses up
there, or is the trail I found the one to table top? I'd like to go w/
some people who know the area but I'm deducing from my past few
performances that I would just be a SLOW burden and ruin the fun. . .

Paladin
September 15th 05, 04:05 PM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well I didn't get to go out yesterday, my wife made me ride the
> greenbelt w/ her, so I did 12 miles. I got 7 goatheads in the front
> and 1 in the rear. FROM THE GREENBELT! I think some Vandemann types
> are purposely collecting them and spreading them on the greenbelt, cuz
> i never left the asphalt/concrete. My wife didn't get any however. So
> anyway, I gave it a shot tonight just before dark, I had to take breaks
> just going up the pavement. I am WAY out of shape in the legs area. I
> also had NO IDEA where I was going, so I did some exporing, ended up
> cutting through a construction area to a trail I saw a biker on, and
> headed up it. I saw a trail post that pointed up an ungodly trail and
> said "Table Rock" so I dug down and headed up it. I pedaled till I died
> and was resurrected, then I escorted the bike a little then got back
> on.>
> Did I need to stay on the pavement more and go up by the houses up
> there, or is the trail I found the one to table top? I'd like to go w/
> some people who know the area but I'm deducing from my past few
> performances that I would just be a SLOW burden and ruin the fun. . .

Great to see you're out exploring. I've been riding the foothills for 14
yrs and still find new trails.

Best way to introduce TR is to take Reserve street up from where it starts
at Fort Street, just east of Fort Boise, Elks Hospital, etc. and north of
St. Lukes RMC. You'll wind up and around at a steady gain through
increasingly nice neighborhoods til you come to a "Y" which is the turn off
for Rocky Canyon on your left, and Tablerock on your right. Both are
signed, but you'll wanna go right. Follow that on up, and if you're too
beat at this point, call it good, because there's a lot more climbing ahead.

When you feel up to it, just follow TR road until you climb out of the
neighborhood, and keep going, it will turn to a dirt road and get steeper
for about 2 miles, likely to see deer and foxes, owls and birds of prey, but
just follow it until you summit at the big cross.

My daughter's got volleyball games tonight and tomorrow or I'd offer to play
tour guide.

Have you ridden Crestline yet? That's a much easier trail, all dirt, and
you get great views of the valley, and can see into 3 counties from up
there. Fun basic loop is out Crestline and down Hulls Gulch. It's so
popular we affectionately call it the Barney Loop. But if you're not in
trail riding shape, get dropped off at the start of Crestline, which is the
end of Claremont, get to it by taking Brumback up and keep going up to where
it becomes Claremont. On the right you'll see a big dirt staging
area/trail head. Ride ON. Hulls Gulch will eventually dump you out on 8th
St. (a dirt road) just north of Camelsback Park area.

CDB

x1134x
September 15th 05, 04:52 PM
Finally got to sleep @ 6:00 am, boss called @ 8:45. Bummer. I decided
to work on some of his email problems last night since I couldn't sleep
and earned myself bookoo brownie points for dedication when he saw the
times on the test emails I was sending {:-).

If I can get back to sleep and get a little more rest I'm gonna try TR
again, if not, then I might try Crestline. I'm determined to get back
into shape so I'm going SOMEWHERE. If I get back into shape, I'll be a
snowboarding fool right of the bat this winter.

>Follow that on up, and if you're too
>beat at this point, call it good, because there's a lot more climbing ahead.

Funny how gravity tempts you just to turn around and coast back down.
You have to bring a metaphorical whip for yourself.

>likely to see deer and foxes, owls and birds of prey, but
>just follow it until you summit at the big cross.

How about them SNATTLERAKES? Do you encounter many of those out there?
I grew up in similar sagebrush country in WY and in 18 years only saw
one of them, and it was on the highway.

Thanx for the trail info, & good luck to your daughter.

DM

Paladin
September 15th 05, 05:11 PM
"x1134x" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Finally got to sleep @ 6:00 am, boss called @ 8:45. Bummer. I decided
> to work on some of his email problems last night since I couldn't sleep
> and earned myself bookoo brownie points for dedication when he saw the
> times on the test emails I was sending {:-).
>
> If I can get back to sleep and get a little more rest I'm gonna try TR
> again, if not, then I might try Crestline. I'm determined to get back
> into shape so I'm going SOMEWHERE. If I get back into shape, I'll be a
> snowboarding fool right of the bat this winter.
>
>>Follow that on up, and if you're too
>>beat at this point, call it good, because there's a lot more climbing
>>ahead.
>
> Funny how gravity tempts you just to turn around and coast back down.
> You have to bring a metaphorical whip for yourself.
>
>>likely to see deer and foxes, owls and birds of prey, but
>>just follow it until you summit at the big cross.
>
> How about them SNATTLERAKES? Do you encounter many of those out there?
> I grew up in similar sagebrush country in WY and in 18 years only saw
> one of them, and it was on the highway.
>
> Thanx for the trail info, & good luck to your daughter.
>
> DM

I've never seen a rattlesnake on our foothills trail. IMO, there's just too
much traffic. After dark, they might come out and lay on the rocks, but
I've never seen them. However, a group of us did encounter a big snake on
the trail a year ago, I think it was a bull snake or a king snake.
Thankfully we all bunnyhopped it, and it slithered off home to mamma.

CDB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home