PDA

View Full Version : A toast to a trail burned out by fire recently.

Paladin
September 23rd 05, 12:52 AM
It's with a tear in me eye and a catch in me throat I bring the news that an
old good friend was decimated by fire recently. Here's to you,
Fisher/Williams, the most celebrated loop in Idaho:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?s=88af2d5adc3b100fff145974914f3040&p=1208580#post1208580

Ride-A-Lot
September 23rd 05, 02:17 AM
Paladin wrote:
> It's with a tear in me eye and a catch in me throat I bring the news that an
> old good friend was decimated by fire recently. Here's to you,
> Fisher/Williams, the most celebrated loop in Idaho:
>

> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?s=88af2d5adc3b100fff145974914f3040&p=1208580#post1208580

That sucks! I wanted to ride it and could't convince the rest of the
group to do it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Paladin
September 23rd 05, 02:26 AM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Paladin wrote:
>> It's with a tear in me eye and a catch in me throat I bring the news that
>> an old good friend was decimated by fire recently. Here's to you,
>> Fisher/Williams, the most celebrated loop in Idaho:
>>

>> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?s=88af2d5adc3b100fff145974914f3040&p=1208580#post1208580
>
> That sucks! I wanted to ride it and could't convince the rest of the
> group to do it.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

You're AZ buddy Geedub would likely confirm it would have been a waste of
time... heheh.. nothing to see here folks,.. move along..

It'll be rideable next year, but pretty black and bleak. *Only* consolation
is the aftermath of the fire will open up the various mtn ranges to view.
CDB

Craig Brossman
September 23rd 05, 03:33 AM
Paladin wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>
>>Paladin wrote:
>>
>>>It's with a tear in me eye and a catch in me throat I bring the news that
>>>an old good friend was decimated by fire recently. Here's to you,
>>>Fisher/Williams, the most celebrated loop in Idaho:
>>>

>>>http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?s=88af2d5adc3b100fff145974914f3040&p=1208580#post1208580
>>
>>That sucks! I wanted to ride it and could't convince the rest of the
>>group to do it.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws
>

> You're AZ buddy Geedub would likely confirm it would have been a waste of
> time... heheh.. nothing to see here folks,.. move along..
>
> It'll be rideable next year, but pretty black and bleak. *Only* consolation
> is the aftermath of the fire will open up the various mtn ranges to view.
> CDB

We've been riding stuff up on Missionary Ridge which had our big fire in
2002. Stuff comes back pretty fast and it is interesting to run into the
many pockets the fire missed.
It is not the worst thing that can happen to a good trail.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

GeeDubb
September 23rd 05, 03:33 PM
"Paladin" > wrote in message

> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> Paladin wrote:
>>> It's with a tear in me eye and a catch in me throat I bring the news
>>> that an old good friend was decimated by fire recently. Here's to you,
>>> Fisher/Williams, the most celebrated loop in Idaho:
>>>

>>> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?s=88af2d5adc3b100fff145974914f3040&p=1208580#post1208580
>>
>> That sucks! I wanted to ride it and could't convince the rest of the
>> group to do it.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>
> You're AZ buddy Geedub would likely confirm it would have been a waste of
> time... heheh.. nothing to see here folks,.. move along..
>
> It'll be rideable next year, but pretty black and bleak. *Only*
> consolation is the aftermath of the fire will open up the various mtn
> ranges to view.
> CDB
The fire most likely helped clear out the beetle infestation that covered
much of that ride. It's sad to see it this way but Nature has a way about
her.

Gary

MattB
September 23rd 05, 04:34 PM
Craig Brossman wrote:
> Paladin wrote:

>>> That sucks! I wanted to ride it and could't convince the rest of the
>>> group to do it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>

>> You're AZ buddy Geedub would likely confirm it would have been a waste
>> of time... heheh.. nothing to see here folks,.. move along..
>>
>> It'll be rideable next year, but pretty black and bleak. *Only*
>> consolation is the aftermath of the fire will open up the various mtn
>> ranges to view.
>> CDB
>>

> We've been riding stuff up on Missionary Ridge which had our big fire in
> 2002. Stuff comes back pretty fast and it is interesting to run into the
> many pockets the fire missed.
> It is not the worst thing that can happen to a good trail.

Definitely better than million dollar homes or roads!
Sorry to hear about your trail. Hopefully it will make a quick recovery.

Matt

GWood
September 23rd 05, 04:56 PM
On the "up" side, unless some bozo started it accidentally, fires are
naturally occuring and a forest needs one periodically to restore balanced
growth.

Give it a couple of years and it will be greening up again. Imagine the log
rides to be had....

"Paladin" > wrote in message
> It's with a tear in me eye and a catch in me throat I bring the news that
an
> old good friend was decimated by fire recently. Here's to you,
> Fisher/Williams, the most celebrated loop in Idaho:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?s=88af2d5adc3b100fff145974914f3040&p=1208580#post1208580

x1134x
September 23rd 05, 08:34 PM
Hopefully all puncture vines and associates seeds were burned, and
you'll get less flats as a consolation for the black lung you'll get.

I'm deciding to take my camping shovel with me (yeah you heard me right
MIKE! a SHOVEL) and I'm killing ALL puncture vine near the trails I
ride now because I'm tired of fixing flats. I'm also thinking about a
small Roundup squirter too.

It's mountain bikers' jobs to keep the trails mountain bikable. and if
this means widening, herbicides, and a bit of shoveling, so be it.

x1134x

Ride-A-Lot
September 23rd 05, 08:48 PM
x1134x wrote:
> Hopefully all puncture vines and associates seeds were burned, and
> you'll get less flats as a consolation for the black lung you'll get.
>
> I'm deciding to take my camping shovel with me (yeah you heard me right
> MIKE! a SHOVEL) and I'm killing ALL puncture vine near the trails I
> ride now because I'm tired of fixing flats. I'm also thinking about a
> small Roundup squirter too.
>
> It's mountain bikers' jobs to keep the trails mountain bikable. and if
> this means widening, herbicides, and a bit of shoveling, so be it.
>
> x1134x

I'll tell you right now that if I catch you widening any of the trails I
am on, I'll take that shovel, dig a hole, and bury you in it.

Learn how to care for a trail before you dive in!!! Go to the IMBA site
and read up on trail maintenance. Better yet, take a trail maintenance
course or go with someone who can teach you. Bad TM can do more damage
than horses.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws