PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Gloves

Charles B. Summers, HOF.
September 24th 05, 06:13 PM
Guess I'll pick up another set of gloves since my cheapo K-Mart Bell gloves
have shredded, but I have no idea what to get. I was looking at the Pearl
Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of negative opinions on them. I know
that most opinions come from "unhappy campers", so I do take them with a
grain of salt.

What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and a
half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming soon
(?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...

What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
durability, with costs in mind as well.

Thanks,
Charles

Portable Splat Graphics
September 24th 05, 06:32 PM
I have to say MACE, these are the best feeling gloves I have ever had.
http://www.macegear.com/main_pages/home.php
I have the Shackle Gloves and got them for 45-50$ CDN. AWESOME, AWESOME,
AWESOME.

CS
04 VT2

"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > wrote in message
> Guess I'll pick up another set of gloves since my cheapo K-Mart Bell
> gloves have shredded, but I have no idea what to get. I was looking at the
> Pearl Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of negative opinions on them. I
> know that most opinions come from "unhappy campers", so I do take them
> with a grain of salt.
>
> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and
> a half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming
> soon (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>
> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

Rob
September 24th 05, 06:36 PM
When grilled further on (Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:13:41 -0500),
"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > confessed:

> Guess I'll pick up another set of gloves since my cheapo K-Mart Bell gloves
> have shredded, but I have no idea what to get. I was looking at the Pearl
> Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of negative opinions on them. I know
> that most opinions come from "unhappy campers", so I do take them with a
> grain of salt.

I have three pairs of Pearl Izumi gloves, and like them all. I've one
half-fingered gel pair, the Gel Lite pair, and a warmer pair (with cuff) for
winter riding. I didn't realize they were all Pearl Izumi until bought the last
pair. Love them all.

Cheers,
Rob

MTBlood
September 24th 05, 09:12 PM
"> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort,
and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.

I wear the fox thermapaw in the winter. Summer I go commando, can stand how
restricted gloves make my hands feel....

little earthquakes
September 24th 05, 11:12 PM
"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > wrote in message
> Guess I'll pick up another set of gloves since my cheapo K-Mart Bell
gloves
> have shredded, but I have no idea what to get. I was looking at the Pearl
> Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of negative opinions on them. I know
> that most opinions come from "unhappy campers", so I do take them with a
> grain of salt.
>
> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and
> half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming
soon
> (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>
> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.

I go with full finger gloves regardless, because I like to keep the skin
that I have. I presently have a couple pair of Fox gloves. They are basic,
lightly padded in the palm, with an extra layer across the knuckles.

TJ
September 25th 05, 02:54 PM
"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > wrote in message
> Guess I'll pick up another set of gloves since my cheapo K-Mart Bell
> gloves have shredded, but I have no idea what to get. I was looking at the
> Pearl Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of negative opinions on them. I
> know that most opinions come from "unhappy campers", so I do take them
> with a grain of salt.
>
> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and
> a half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming
> soon (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>
> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

I use Fly Racing Moto-X gloves. They are 22 dollars a pair. Offer
excellent protection. And they are not heavy. They have excellent wrist
and hand protection.

TJ

Bill Wheeler
September 25th 05, 04:39 PM
<charles > wrote:

>What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and a
>half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming soon
>(?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
>half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...

get a pair of full-fingers and a pair of half-fingered

>What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
>durability, with costs in mind as well.

brands are bvllsh!t, get a pair that fits (period)

>Thanks,
>Charles

Peace,
Bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton

bomba
September 25th 05, 05:48 PM
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:13:41 -0500, Charles B. Summers, HOF. wrote:

> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and a
> half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming soon
> (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>
> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.

I always tend to go with full fingered for riding off-road. Just too many
things to damage the pinkies. I've never had a problem with my hands
getting too hot.

As for brands, I'm generally not impressed with 661 - they just don't seem
to last that well. The Fox gloves I bought last year seem to be lacking in
the quality department too, but it's mainly bits that are glued on,
rather than stitching. I was looking at the new Specialized Body Geometry
gloves, but don't like the fact that the palms aren't stitched or
pre-curved which means they ruck up a bit when gripping the bar. My next
glove of choice comes recommended by my brother - Troy Lee's.

Charles B. Summers, HOF.
September 25th 05, 07:34 PM
If you've either got very small hands or very large hands... here's some for
$10.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13794-185_TLDSE4-2-Accessories-31-Gloves/Troy-Lee-Designs-SE-Full-Finger-Gloves.htm

"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:13:41 -0500, Charles B. Summers, HOF. wrote:
>
>> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove
>> and a
>> half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming
>> soon
>> (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
>> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>>
>> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort,
>> and
>> durability, with costs in mind as well.
>
> I always tend to go with full fingered for riding off-road. Just too many
> things to damage the pinkies. I've never had a problem with my hands
> getting too hot.
>
> As for brands, I'm generally not impressed with 661 - they just don't seem
> to last that well. The Fox gloves I bought last year seem to be lacking in
> the quality department too, but it's mainly bits that are glued on,
> rather than stitching. I was looking at the new Specialized Body Geometry
> gloves, but don't like the fact that the palms aren't stitched or
> pre-curved which means they ruck up a bit when gripping the bar. My next
> glove of choice comes recommended by my brother - Troy Lee's.

KATHLEEN FORBES
September 26th 05, 03:11 AM
"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > wrote in message
> I was looking at the Pearl Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of
> negative opinions on them. I know that most opinions come from "unhappy
> campers", so I do take them with a grain of salt.
>
> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and
> a half-fingered glove? > Thanks,
> Charles

I've only been riding about a year, but my experiences with Pearl Izumi
products in general supports my basic attitude that you get what you pay
for. The PI jerseys that I have are superior to the other name brand and
store brand jerseys that I have. I have been wearing one pair of PI half
finger White Line gloves all summer and they have held up very well. I will
get something full finger for winter. You can find sales on some of the
websites if you shop a little. Also check http://www.mtbr.com/ for product
reviews.

gt

Carla A-G
September 26th 05, 03:00 PM
"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > wrote in message
> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and
> half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming
soon
> (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>
> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.

Fox (full finger) for the dirt and Pearl Izumi for the road.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Ride-A-Lot
September 26th 05, 03:07 PM
Carla A-G wrote:
> Fox (full finger) for the dirt and Pearl Izumi for the road.

Ditto!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Paladin
September 26th 05, 05:10 PM
"Charles B. Summers, HOF." <charles > wrote in message
> Guess I'll pick up another set of gloves since my cheapo K-Mart Bell
> gloves have shredded, but I have no idea what to get. I was looking at the
> Pearl Izumi Gel Lite gloves but heard alot of negative opinions on them. I
> know that most opinions come from "unhappy campers", so I do take them
> with a grain of salt.
>
> What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and
> a half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming
> soon (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>
> What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> durability, with costs in mind as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles
Full Fingered Gloves are all I wear. (Naked except for the gloves, I
guess) Fly Racing gloves are great. So are most Fox models. Race Face
(when you can find them, are good too), as are AXO's. I haven't worn PI's
but their stuff tends to be good quality. Find the right combo betw fit
and price. But you'll be hard pressed to beat the Fly Racing, though,
which are my current favorites.

CDB

little earthquakes
September 27th 05, 04:57 AM
"Bill Wheeler" > wrote in message
> brands are bvllsh!t, get a pair that fits (period)

quality, and function, bill.

September 27th 05, 02:14 PM
bomba wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:13:41 -0500, Charles B. Summers, HOF. wrote:
>
> > What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and a
> > half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming soon
> > (?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
> > half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
> >
> > What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
> > durability, with costs in mind as well.
>
> I always tend to go with full fingered for riding off-road. Just too many
> things to damage the pinkies. I've never had a problem with my hands
> getting too hot.
>
> As for brands, I'm generally not impressed with 661 - they just don't seem
> to last that well. The Fox gloves I bought last year seem to be lacking in
> the quality department too, but it's mainly bits that are glued on,
> rather than stitching. I was looking at the new Specialized Body Geometry
> gloves, but don't like the fact that the palms aren't stitched or
> pre-curved which means they ruck up a bit when gripping the bar. My next
> glove of choice comes recommended by my brother - Troy Lee's.

Seconded on the 661s. Cheap, but run small and the palm disintegrated
after a season. That thick vinyl logo loop topped right at my middle
knuckles, which rediced flexibility in the spot and made them a tad
less comfy than other gloves.
I've had good luck with the Fox gloves. The Spesh BGs are good too --
light, thin and durable palm, padded in a good spot. I lost one of
them.... GAH!
Some Verge gloves I wear aren't too bad either. Got them cheap at a
flea market (http://www.lvvelo.org/fleamarkets.php). The palms are a
bit pillowy, but they were cheap and have been durable so far.
/s

MattB
September 27th 05, 03:15 PM
wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:13:41 -0500, Charles B. Summers, HOF. wrote:
>>

>>>What's y'all opinions on the differences between a full-fingered glove and a
>>>half-fingered glove? I was thinking that with the cooler weather coming soon
>>>(?) that I should buy a full-fingered glove now, then think about a
>>>half-fingered next spring. Sounds logical...
>>>
>>>What brands are you guys/gals satisfied with? I'm looking for comfort, and
>>>durability, with costs in mind as well.
>>
>>I always tend to go with full fingered for riding off-road. Just too many
>>things to damage the pinkies. I've never had a problem with my hands
>>getting too hot.
>>
>>As for brands, I'm generally not impressed with 661 - they just don't seem
>>to last that well. The Fox gloves I bought last year seem to be lacking in
>>the quality department too, but it's mainly bits that are glued on,
>>rather than stitching. I was looking at the new Specialized Body Geometry
>>gloves, but don't like the fact that the palms aren't stitched or
>>pre-curved which means they ruck up a bit when gripping the bar. My next
>>glove of choice comes recommended by my brother - Troy Lee's.
>

> Seconded on the 661s. Cheap, but run small and the palm disintegrated
> after a season. That thick vinyl logo loop topped right at my middle
> knuckles, which rediced flexibility in the spot and made them a tad
> less comfy than other gloves.
> I've had good luck with the Fox gloves. The Spesh BGs are good too --
> light, thin and durable palm, padded in a good spot. I lost one of
> them.... GAH!
> Some Verge gloves I wear aren't too bad either. Got them cheap at a
> flea market (http://www.lvvelo.org/fleamarkets.php). The palms are a
> bit pillowy, but they were cheap and have been durable so far.
> /s

I like the Specialized BG's too, but my current pair which are about a
year old have a problem. The Velcro has lost it's stick which isn't
really critical but is annoying. They tent to open up and flap around
during a ride and I have to re-fasten them.
The prior pair didn't do this so I wonder if they changed materials or
maybe had a bad run of them. Anyone else notice this? It's the only
thing that would make me consider changing to something else when I get
a new pair.

Matt

JD
September 27th 05, 04:10 PM
Inexpensive and tough full finger gloves: http://www.mechanix.com

The official glove of the Fruita University Cycling Team (FUCT).

JD

Dave Mennenoh
September 27th 05, 06:28 PM
>>Summer I go commando, can stand how restricted gloves make my hands
>>feel....

I guess you never crash then as falling without gloves certainly feels worse
than not having them.

--
Dave -
www.blurredistinction.com/director

MTBlood
September 27th 05, 11:20 PM
>>>Summer I go commando, can stand how restricted gloves make my hands
>>>feel....
>
> I guess you never crash then as falling without gloves certainly feels
> worse than not having them.

I agree and it's just my preference. However if that's one of your major
concerns then I might suggest full downhill protection whilst you are on
your local trails. You might look like a dork, but damn if you wreck it
won't hurt as bad.

little earthquakes
September 28th 05, 12:42 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Inexpensive and tough full finger gloves: http://www.mechanix.com
>
> The official glove of the Fruita University Cycling Team (FUCT).
>
> JD

Those things are great! I always have a pair, and have used them for
everything but riding, which I've never thought of.

BB
September 28th 05, 01:20 AM
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:28:34 GMT, Dave Mennenoh wrote:
>>>Summer I go commando, can stand how restricted gloves make my hands
>>>feel....
>
> I guess you never crash then as falling without gloves certainly feels worse
> than not having them.

Well, that and you're a lot more likely to catch yourself with your hands
than anything else when you fall. Its only natural, even if we're not
"supposed" to (that whole "tuck & roll" thing; personally crashes happen
too fast for me to decide how I'm going to fall).

Gloves are the protection wear that will get the most use. I don't wear
full-finger gloves except in the winter; I've had a few skinned knuckles
but nothing worth worrying about.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

Bill Wheeler
September 28th 05, 02:59 AM
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:10:19 -0600, "Paladin" >
wrote:

[snip]

Fly Racing gloves are great. So are most Fox models. Race Face
AXO's. ... PI's

>CDB

CDB, droppin' brandnames like a mo fo! ;-)

peace,
bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton

Ride-A-Lot
September 28th 05, 03:10 AM
Bill Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:10:19 -0600, "Paladin" >
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Fly Racing gloves are great. So are most Fox models. Race Face
> AXO's. ... PI's
>

>>CDB
>

> CDB, droppin' brandnames like a mo fo! ;-)

Nah, he forgot Totes Isotoners :p.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

little earthquakes
September 28th 05, 03:51 AM
"Bill Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:10:19 -0600, "Paladin" >
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Fly Racing gloves are great. So are most Fox models. Race Face
> AXO's. ... PI's
>
> >CDB
>
> CDB, droppin' brandnames like a mo fo! ;-)

i second the fox brand.

if i choose the proper size, they fit, too.

quality, and function, bill.

ya see, bill, if someone ask about a bike, and all the info ya give, is "one
that fits", well hell, that could be had a walmart. see my point?

JD
September 28th 05, 03:52 PM
little earthquakes wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Inexpensive and tough full finger gloves: http://www.mechanix.com
> >
> > The official glove of the Fruita University Cycling Team (FUCT).
> >
> > JD
> >
> Those things are great! I always have a pair, and have used them for
> everything but riding, which I've never thought of.

Angry Man had to use a pair as an emergency about six years ago and
decided that he liked them. It caught on with a few other locals
(including the most prominent pro xc racer in the valley) and those are
the only gloves I have used for about the last five years. They last
about a year under regular freak usage and only cost about $20 at the
local otto parts store.

JD

MattB
September 28th 05, 03:54 PM
JD wrote:
> little earthquakes wrote:
>
>>"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>Inexpensive and tough full finger gloves: http://www.mechanix.com
>>>
>>>The official glove of the Fruita University Cycling Team (FUCT).
>>>
>>>JD
>>>

>>Those things are great! I always have a pair, and have used them for
>>everything but riding, which I've never thought of.
>

> Angry Man had to use a pair as an emergency about six years ago and
> decided that he liked them. It caught on with a few other locals
> (including the most prominent pro xc racer in the valley) and those are
> the only gloves I have used for about the last five years. They last
> about a year under regular freak usage and only cost about $20 at the
> local otto parts store.
>
> JD

The ones with the lights would be neat for night riding!

Matt

Paul King
October 1st 05, 09:40 PM
In message >, MattB >
writes
wrote:
>> bomba wrote:

>>>I always tend to go with full fingered for riding off-road. Just too many
>>>things to damage the pinkies. I've never had a problem with my hands
>>>getting too hot.
>>>
>>>As for brands, I'm generally not impressed with 661 - they just don't seem
>>>to last that well. The Fox gloves I bought last year seem to be lacking in
>>>the quality department too, but it's mainly bits that are glued on,
>>>rather than stitching. I was looking at the new Specialized Body Geometry
>>>gloves, but don't like the fact that the palms aren't stitched or
>>>pre-curved which means they ruck up a bit when gripping the bar. My next
>>>glove of choice comes recommended by my brother - Troy Lee's.
>> Seconded on the 661s. Cheap, but run small and the palm
>>disintegrated
>> after a season. That thick vinyl logo loop topped right at my middle
>> knuckles, which rediced flexibility in the spot and made them a tad
>> less comfy than other gloves.
>> I've had good luck with the Fox gloves. The Spesh BGs are good too --
>> light, thin and durable palm, padded in a good spot. I lost one of
>> them.... GAH!
>> Some Verge gloves I wear aren't too bad either. Got them cheap at a
>> flea market (http://www.lvvelo.org/fleamarkets.php). The palms are a
>> bit pillowy, but they were cheap and have been durable so far. /s
>>

>I like the Specialized BG's too, but my current pair which are about a
>year old have a problem. The Velcro has lost it's stick which isn't
>really critical but is annoying. They tent to open up and flap around
>during a ride and I have to re-fasten them.
>The prior pair didn't do this so I wonder if they changed materials or
>maybe had a bad run of them. Anyone else notice this? It's the only
>thing that would make me consider changing to something else when I get
>a new pair.
>
>Matt

You can buy Velcro strips very cheaply and stitch them in over the
existing Velcro :-)
--
Peregrine
"The fastest moving animal on earth"

October 2nd 05, 03:46 PM
Fox

October 2nd 05, 03:51 PM
Sear mechanic gloves at 10 bucks this week

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home