PDA

View Full Version : slightly OT : Rust removal

Rhybeka
October 5th 05, 09:25 PM
Hey All!
Thought I would solicit some advice from the group. A friend of
mine gave me a used Yakima bike rack for my car. It's in decent
condition, but have several places that have some decent surface rust on
them. If anybody's got some suggestions on rust removal and what's
worked best in personal experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Becky

October 5th 05, 10:27 PM
Navy Jelly

October 5th 05, 10:28 PM
Naval Jelly

Bill Sornson
October 5th 05, 10:37 PM
wrote:
> Naval Jelly

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Nath
October 5th 05, 10:56 PM
"Rhybeka" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey All!
> Thought I would solicit some advice from the group. A friend of mine
> gave me a used Yakima bike rack for my car. It's in decent condition, but
> have several places that have some decent surface rust on them. If
> anybody's got some suggestions on rust removal and what's worked best in
> personal experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
>
> Becky

Wire brush, remove loose rust, wipe dust away with a clean cloth then
hammerite (if surface is metal) just like painting a iron gate. Then fit
radiator insulation with duct tape to protect bike frames from contact with
any metal-metal rubbing.

Westie
October 6th 05, 12:03 AM
Rhybeka wrote:
> Hey All!
> Thought I would solicit some advice from the group. A friend of
> mine gave me a used Yakima bike rack for my car. It's in decent
> condition, but have several places that have some decent surface rust on
> them. If anybody's got some suggestions on rust removal and what's
> worked best in personal experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
>
> Becky

Wire brush the rusty spots to get rid of any loose and rusty material.
Get some anti-rust metal primer paint from your local hardware store.
Tell the sales guy what it's for and he should be able to find something
for you. It doesn't really matter what you end up using, there are
plenty of different brands out there that will do the job just fine.
Finish with desired coloured top coat if you like.
--
Westie

(PeteCresswell)
October 6th 05, 04:34 AM
Per :
> Naval Jelly

I'll second that.

In my local hardware store, it's sold as "Rust Converter". The stuff I got came
in a container that looks tb about a half pint.

In Pep Boys, it's sold as "Rust Avenger" - but in that case the container is too
small and it costs an arm and a leg per unit volume.
--
PeteCresswell

Shaun aRe
October 6th 05, 02:36 PM
"Rhybeka" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hey All!
> Thought I would solicit some advice from the group. A friend of
> mine gave me a used Yakima bike rack for my car. It's in decent
> condition, but have several places that have some decent surface rust on
> them. If anybody's got some suggestions on rust removal and what's
> worked best in personal experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
>
> Becky

Light sanding of the rusted area with quite fine grade paper to remove loose
particles, followed by application of a phosphoric acid based rust converter
(it actually further oxidises the red rust, turning it into black iron
oxide, which is hard and impervious to moisture - a search on google should
turn up some brand names), followed by an application of top-coat
paint/lacquer depending on the original finish.

Shaun aRe

GWood
October 6th 05, 08:32 PM
It costs more when marketed as Rust Converter because they've picked all the
lint out...

"(PeteCresswell)" > wrote in message
> Per :
> > Naval Jelly
>
> I'll second that.
>
> In my local hardware store, it's sold as "Rust Converter".

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home