PDA

View Full Version : RR: University of Florida Collegiate MTB race

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 7th 05, 06:32 AM
So I finally upgraded to collegiate category B, which is kinda like sport.
We hosted a race over here in Reddick, FL at Razorback
(http://www.goneriding.com/RAZAROBACK.htm).

I rode my "new" 2002 Giant XTC SS with a cracked and rewelded chainstay.
Yes, it's aluminum. No, I didn't heat-treat it afterwards. Yes, it's still
in one piece. I built it up superlight and tried to get it down to 18lbs,
but it's around 20 now. Accelerates soooooooo fast compared to my 30lb STP.

I did poorly in the short track/dirt crit. I'm not really a roadie and I've
no endurance. When it came to the twisty time trial, I did pretty well: 4th
out of 8.

When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos of the
ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made easy
photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit faster and it was
hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of them. You can skip most
of the photos that look like dupes. Here they are:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

spademan o---[) *
October 7th 05, 09:12 AM
> I took a lot of photos of the ladies on our team, because they were > going slower and made easy photographic targets.
Hmm... yep that works for me.
BTW Image 5035 - fantastic sideburns.
Steve.

Ride-A-Lot
October 7th 05, 11:56 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos of the
> ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made easy
> photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit faster and it was
> hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of them. You can skip most
> of the photos that look like dupes. Here they are:
>
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/

Damn! I knew I should have gone to college in Florida!

Mmmm..... College girls! {HomerSimpsonGrowl.wav}

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot
October 7th 05, 12:05 PM
Something not right here: http://tinyurl.com/b4aab
I think that bike may be tad too big for her.

If only I were 21 again: http://tinyurl.com/dhl4n

Thanks for turning me into a dirty old man.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

October 7th 05, 02:28 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> So I finally upgraded to collegiate category B, which is kinda like sport.
> We hosted a race over here in Reddick, FL at Razorback
> (http://www.goneriding.com/RAZAROBACK.htm).
>
> I rode my "new" 2002 Giant XTC SS with a cracked and rewelded chainstay.
> Yes, it's aluminum. No, I didn't heat-treat it afterwards. Yes, it's still
> in one piece. I built it up superlight and tried to get it down to 18lbs,
> but it's around 20 now. Accelerates soooooooo fast compared to my 30lb STP.
>
> I did poorly in the short track/dirt crit. I'm not really a roadie and I've
> no endurance. When it came to the twisty time trial, I did pretty well: 4th
> out of 8.
>
> When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos of the
> ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made easy
> photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit faster and it was
> hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of them. You can skip most
> of the photos that look like dupes. Here they are:
>
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Nice pics, but where's the mountain? ;)
/s

GeeDubb
October 7th 05, 03:50 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> So I finally upgraded to collegiate category B, which is kinda like
>> sport.
>> We hosted a race over here in Reddick, FL at Razorback
>> (http://www.goneriding.com/RAZAROBACK.htm).
>>
>> I rode my "new" 2002 Giant XTC SS with a cracked and rewelded chainstay.
>> Yes, it's aluminum. No, I didn't heat-treat it afterwards. Yes, it's
>> still
>> in one piece. I built it up superlight and tried to get it down to
>> 18lbs,
>> but it's around 20 now. Accelerates soooooooo fast compared to my 30lb
>> STP.
>>
>> I did poorly in the short track/dirt crit. I'm not really a roadie and
>> I've
>> no endurance. When it came to the twisty time trial, I did pretty well:
>> 4th
>> out of 8.
>>
>> When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos of the
>> ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made easy
>> photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit faster and it
>> was
>> hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of them. You can skip
>> most
>> of the photos that look like dupes. Here they are:
>>
>> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/
>>
>> --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> Nice pics, but where's the mountain? ;)
> /s

West of there....way west! That's just a place where big snakes and gators
vie for the top positions......

Sure is green, though. Gotta love that chigger country.

Gary (brown, scorpion country)

Shawn
October 7th 05, 03:56 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> So I finally upgraded to collegiate category B, which is kinda like sport.
> We hosted a race over here in Reddick, FL at Razorback
> (http://www.goneriding.com/RAZAROBACK.htm).
>
> I rode my "new" 2002 Giant XTC SS with a cracked and rewelded chainstay.
> Yes, it's aluminum. No, I didn't heat-treat it afterwards. Yes, it's still
> in one piece. I built it up superlight and tried to get it down to 18lbs,
> but it's around 20 now. Accelerates soooooooo fast compared to my 30lb STP.
>
> I did poorly in the short track/dirt crit. I'm not really a roadie and I've
> no endurance. When it came to the twisty time trial, I did pretty well: 4th
> out of 8.
>
> When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos of the
> ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made easy
> photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit faster and it was
> hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of them. You can skip most
> of the photos that look like dupes. Here they are:
>
> http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/

Nice pics. Too bad it wasn't hotter during the women's race.
;-)
That you with "The Jaws of Death"? We've got some nuts here on AM-B you
could use that on. (Sorry, I know. My bad)
You should send the pedal wrench burger pics to Park.

Shawn

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 7th 05, 04:47 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Something not right here: http://tinyurl.com/b4aab
> I think that bike may be tad too big for her.

It's a bike she borrowed. She's normally a roadie and came out for her
first MTB race ever. She kicked the butt of all the chicks from FSU.

> If only I were 21 again: http://tinyurl.com/dhl4n
>
> Thanks for turning me into a dirty old man.

*sigh* maybe we should have Babes-of-the-Day here on a.m-b. Nah, then it'd
be like any 14-year-old-populated web forum.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 7th 05, 04:48 PM
Shawn wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> So I finally upgraded to collegiate category B, which is kinda like
>> sport. We hosted a race over here in Reddick, FL at Razorback
>> (http://www.goneriding.com/RAZAROBACK.htm).
>>
>> I rode my "new" 2002 Giant XTC SS with a cracked and rewelded
>> chainstay. Yes, it's aluminum. No, I didn't heat-treat it
>> afterwards. Yes, it's still in one piece. I built it up superlight
>> and tried to get it down to 18lbs, but it's around 20 now. Accelerates
>> soooooooo fast compared to my 30lb STP. I did poorly in the short
>> track/dirt crit. I'm not really a roadie
>> and I've no endurance. When it came to the twisty time trial, I did
>> pretty well: 4th out of 8.
>>
>> When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos
>> of the ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made
>> easy photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit
>> faster and it was hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of
>> them. You can skip most of the photos that look like dupes. Here
>> they are: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/
>>
> Nice pics. Too bad it wasn't hotter during the women's race.
> ;-)
> That you with "The Jaws of Death"? We've got some nuts here on AM-B
> you could use that on. (Sorry, I know. My bad)

Hehehe - it sure is me. It works really well, too... no more stripping out
threads and stuff when I'm working on bottom brackets. Actually it's called
the "Bottom Bracket Killer." Look at the handle.

> You should send the pedal wrench burger pics to Park.
>
> Shawn

Good call! Will do.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

MattB
October 7th 05, 04:54 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>
>>Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>>
>>>So I finally upgraded to collegiate category B, which is kinda like
>>>sport. We hosted a race over here in Reddick, FL at Razorback
>>>(http://www.goneriding.com/RAZAROBACK.htm).
>>>
>>>I rode my "new" 2002 Giant XTC SS with a cracked and rewelded
>>>chainstay. Yes, it's aluminum. No, I didn't heat-treat it
>>>afterwards. Yes, it's still in one piece. I built it up superlight
>>>and tried to get it down to 18lbs, but it's around 20 now. Accelerates
>>>soooooooo fast compared to my 30lb STP. I did poorly in the short
>>>track/dirt crit. I'm not really a roadie
>>>and I've no endurance. When it came to the twisty time trial, I did
>>>pretty well: 4th out of 8.
>>>
>>>When I wasn't riding, I was taking photos. I took a lot of photos
>>>of the ladies on our team, because they were going slower and made
>>>easy photographic targets. The men's A group were quite a bit
>>>faster and it was hard getting good photos. I trashed about 1/2 of
>>>them. You can skip most of the photos that look like dupes. Here
>>>they are: http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/
>>>

>>Nice pics. Too bad it wasn't hotter during the women's race.
>>;-)
>>That you with "The Jaws of Death"? We've got some nuts here on AM-B
>>you could use that on. (Sorry, I know. My bad)
>

> Hehehe - it sure is me. It works really well, too... no more stripping out
> threads and stuff when I'm working on bottom brackets. Actually it's called
> the "Bottom Bracket Killer." Look at the handle.
>

>>You should send the pedal wrench burger pics to Park.
>>
>>Shawn
>

> Good call! Will do.

I like the wrench too. Makes me want to get one. Not sure what I'd use
it for besides brandishing...

Matt

small change
October 7th 05, 05:01 PM
MattB wrote:
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> Shawn wrote:

>>> Nice pics. Too bad it wasn't hotter during the women's race.
>>> ;-)
>>> That you with "The Jaws of Death"? We've got some nuts here on AM-B
>>> you could use that on. (Sorry, I know. My bad)
>>

>> Hehehe - it sure is me. It works really well, too... no more
>> stripping out threads and stuff when I'm working on bottom brackets.
>> Actually it's called the "Bottom Bracket Killer." Look at the
>> handle.
>>> You should send the pedal wrench burger pics to Park.
>>>
>>> Shawn
>>

>> Good call! Will do.
>>

> I like the wrench too. Makes me want to get one. Not sure what I'd use
> it for besides brandishing...
>
> Matt

heh, wait for your first homeowner's nightmare plumbing repair.

Penny

MattB
October 7th 05, 05:21 PM
small change wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

>>>Hehehe - it sure is me. It works really well, too... no more
>>>stripping out threads and stuff when I'm working on bottom brackets.
>>>Actually it's called the "Bottom Bracket Killer." Look at the
>>>handle.

>>>Good call! Will do.
>>>

>>I like the wrench too. Makes me want to get one. Not sure what I'd use
>>it for besides brandishing...
>>
>>Matt
>

> heh, wait for your first homeowner's nightmare plumbing repair.
>
> Penny

I've had that already, but a Crescent wrench wouln't be the ideal tool.
I prefer the big pipe wrench (like the Clue murder weapon).

Matt

GeeDubb
October 7th 05, 10:59 PM
"MattB" > wrote in message
> small change wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>>I like the wrench too. Makes me want to get one. Not sure what I'd use
>>>it for besides brandishing...
>>>
>>>Matt
>>

>> heh, wait for your first homeowner's nightmare plumbing repair.
>>
>> Penny
>
> I've had that already, but a Crescent wrench wouln't be the ideal tool. I
> prefer the big pipe wrench (like the Clue murder weapon).
>
> Matt

Guess I'll take a picture of my big pipe wrench and post it. Makes that
crescent look tiny. Works great for taking off trailer balls from bumpers.

Gary

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home