PDA

View Full Version : Fox 36 or Marz 66 reviews/feedback requet.

Slack
October 8th 05, 09:34 PM
If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would love
to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.

Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.

If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
they're not in the running :-)

Thanks
Slack

Ride-A-Lot
October 8th 05, 10:29 PM
Slack wrote:
> If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would love
> to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.
>
> Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.
>

> If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
> they're not in the running :-)
>

> Thanks
> Slack

Going back to DH? A friend has the 66 and has been nothing but trouble.
He actually busted one of the stantions on a 1' drop off at Mountain
Creek (no I wan't there to verify it). He's going back to dual crown,
probably an 888 (sucker).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Michael Dart
October 8th 05, 11:17 PM
Slack wrote:
> If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would
> love to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have
> used.
>
> Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.
>

> If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
> they're not in the running :-)
>

> Thanks
> Slack

I just purchased a 36 but don't have a frame to put it on yet (our LBS made
me an offer I couldn't refuse). My friend has two, one for him and one for
his son. By all their accounts and first hand witness it's and awesome
fork. Jordan raced his to 2nd place in Jr Exp 4C at Snowshoe on a SC
Heckler. He had that bike flying over the table tops! I have a Talas RLC
on my XC bike and a 40 RC2 and love them both. The 36 is a cross between
the two.

I also have a friend with the 66 and was not impressed with it's
performance.

'cept for the Super T on my Bullit I've pretty much left the Bomberhood.
They're starting to make a lot of crap forks and there are no user service
instructions with them anymore.

Mike

Slack
October 8th 05, 11:55 PM
Michael Dart wrote:
> Slack wrote:
>
>>If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would
>>love to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have
>>used.
>>
>>Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.
>>

>>If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
>>they're not in the running :-)
>>

>>Thanks
>>Slack
>

> I just purchased a 36 but don't have a frame to put it on yet (our LBS made
> me an offer I couldn't refuse). My friend has two, one for him and one for
> his son. By all their accounts and first hand witness it's and awesome
> fork. Jordan raced his to 2nd place in Jr Exp 4C at Snowshoe on a SC
> Heckler. He had that bike flying over the table tops! I have a Talas RLC
> on my XC bike and a 40 RC2 and love them both. The 36 is a cross between
> the two.
>
> I also have a friend with the 66 and was not impressed with it's
> performance.
>
> 'cept for the Super T on my Bullit I've pretty much left the Bomberhood.
> They're starting to make a lot of crap forks and there are no user service
> instructions with them anymore.
>
> Mike

Cool.... thanks for the info. I was also looking at the 40 RC2 for when
I get a DH sled going again. I still have a while before I'm ready,
though. I was so impressed with my Fox RC, even though it was Pushed, I
really started wondering what their forks were like.

So, did you dump the 888?

Dang , Jared is already smok'n in Expert... that's awesome! You need to
kick him down the M1. You need to upgrade to a M3 anyway :-P

It's a shame about Marzocchi: they seem to be focusing more on marketing
rather than R & D. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
--
Slack

Slack
October 9th 05, 12:00 AM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Slack wrote:
>
>> If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would
>> love to hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.
>>
>> Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.
>>

>> If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
>> they're not in the running :-)
>>

>> Thanks
>> Slack
>

> Going back to DH?

Not yet. This is for the little XC bike. I wouldn't use anything other
than a DC for DH.... IMHO, there's no good reason not to.

> A friend has the 66 and has been nothing but trouble.
> He actually busted one of the stantions on a 1' drop off at Mountain
> Creek (no I wan't there to verify it). He's going back to dual crown,
> probably an 888 (sucker).

That really blows. I hope Marzocchi fixed the 888 casting problems they
had??
--
Slack

Phu
October 9th 05, 01:34 AM
"Slack" > wrote in message
> If you have (own or used someone's) one of the above forks I would love to
> hear how you like it in comparison to other forks you have used.
>
> Good, bad and the ugly... whatever info ya got.
>

> If you plan on suggesting a Manipoo or Rock Slop, don't. Sorry, but
> they're not in the running :-)
>

> Thanks
> Slack

Ya I have had both on a late model Bullit. I ride DH and the fork I use now
is an older DC Shiver. Personally I would go with the 36 for SC.

spademan o---[) *
October 10th 05, 09:32 AM
Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
Steve.

Michael Dart
October 11th 05, 01:09 AM
spademan o---[) * wrote:
> Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
> Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
> have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
> progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
> though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
> Steve.

Not in my experience. The 40RC2 runs super plush but ramps up nice on hard
hits and never bottoms out hard or dives into holes in rock gardens. I'm
running the stock spring which I'm a tad too heavy for but because of that
dampening adjustments it's fine.

I really liked how the 888 rode but didn't trust the lowers. My friend has
a 66 and there isn't much adjustment on his except for air preload which he
has to run at 0 just to get the shock to move.

Mike

Slack
October 11th 05, 02:26 AM
spademan o---[) * wrote:

> Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
> Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
> have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
> progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
> though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
> Steve.

And speaking of blowing, let me know how you like that Travis.
Hopefully, it's slightly more stable than the "real one."

--
Slack

spademan o---[) *
October 11th 05, 10:16 AM
Will do, have to put a bit of time on it first though. Theres a small
drop thats going to be the first test, which I know is about as useful
an indication of its overall performance as bouncing around in a car
park but its got to be done.

spademan o---[) *
October 11th 05, 10:19 AM
Fair enough. I was initially looking at the fox 36 Van but I've had
good experience of my previous Manitou forks which have lasted over 4
years with no niggles. Plus I'd have to change my brake caliper.

Scott Gordo
October 11th 05, 02:11 PM
spademan o---[) * wrote:
> Okay Slack, I won't mention that I've been waiting for the new Manitou
> Travis forks... Only feedback I've had about the Fox's is that they
> have a tendancy to blow through their travel too quickly, I like a
> progressive fork. Haven't heard anything bad about the marzocchis
> though, but I just don't seem to get on with them.
> Steve.

Manitou... TRAVIS?!

/s

spademan o---[) *
October 11th 05, 02:53 PM
Yep, I believe they named it after 'our' Travis. They were so impressed
by his ability to take everything so calmly in his stride, always
willing to spring back after various knocks, and soo reliable.
Steve.

Michael Dart
October 11th 05, 03:49 PM
spademan o---[) * wrote:
> Fair enough. I was initially looking at the fox 36 Van but I've had
> good experience of my previous Manitou forks which have lasted over 4
> years with no niggles. Plus I'd have to change my brake caliper.

The caliper is a consideration. Fox uses a 6" Hayes adapter for an 8"
rotor. I guess to increase stiffness in the mount. If you are running
Hopes this means a different caliper size.

Mike

MattB
October 11th 05, 04:11 PM
spademan o---[) * wrote:
> Fair enough. I was initially looking at the fox 36 Van but I've had
> good experience of my previous Manitou forks which have lasted over 4
> years with no niggles. Plus I'd have to change my brake caliper.

I've also had good fortune with Manitou forks. I've never had one fail
and any I've replaced have been because I wanted newer technology. Of
course the forks I get are all XC style and not the same kind of thing
you guys are running, but I imagine they do have some similarities.

I've had a Manitou II, a Manitou Pro, a Mars Carbon, and a Black Elite
Air. I actually still have the first and last from that list. The II is
on my kid carrying trailer bike (old Canondale SM800) and the Black is
still on my Epic. That 3/4" of travel on the Canondale is sweeeeet!

Matt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home