PDA

View Full Version : Re: Webster Defines "Singletrack"

Michael Halliwell
October 12th 05, 04:22 AM
Mike Vandeman wrote:
> "Lacking intellectual range, receptiveness, or flexibility: one-track."
>
> That describes mountain bikers perfectly.
> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Actually, Webster lists "Single-track" and the primary response is
"Having only one track" -> applies to mountain biking

the secondary response, with the alternative reference "one-track" is
"lacking intellectual range, receptiveness, or flexibility" -> when you
look at "one-track" you see:

"marked by often narrowly restricted attention to or absorption in just
one thing" -> which seems to describe the full range of your posts to
this group since I joined on.

As for the hikers not wearing lug soles...you obviously haven't been to
what I would call trails. My bike tires are tame as compared to what
some people wear on their feet and call boots.

I'd tell you to take a hike, Mike...but you'd enjoy that too much.
Rather, why not get a trainer for your bike (and years of experience) so
you can "sit and spin".

Psycho Mike

Westie
October 12th 05, 04:47 AM
Michael Halliwell wrote:
> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
>> "Lacking intellectual range, receptiveness, or flexibility: one-track."
>>
>> That describes mountain bikers perfectly.
>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years
>> fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
>

> Actually, Webster lists "Single-track" and the primary response is
> "Having only one track" -> applies to mountain biking
>
> the secondary response, with the alternative reference "one-track" is
> "lacking intellectual range, receptiveness, or flexibility" -> when you
> look at "one-track" you see:
>
> "marked by often narrowly restricted attention to or absorption in just
> one thing" -> which seems to describe the full range of your posts to
> this group since I joined on.
> Psycho Mike

Well, it certainly describes his understanding of Websters definition -
although there was two potential definitions of "single-track", his
"one-track" mind failed to have the intellectual range, the
receptiveness or flexibility to accept that there were two definitions
and he chose to use only the second definition in an attempt to promote
his "one-track" pseudo-environmental crusade.
--
Westie

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home