PDA

View Full Version : Advice - Spot Frames

Ride-A-Lot
October 13th 05, 04:37 AM
As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100.
It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is
vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
other suggestions?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Dean A. Stepper
October 13th 05, 06:15 AM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first I
> was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that will
> not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some of the
> smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100. It is a SS
> hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is vertical dropouts
> (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS devotion). The Spot
> has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any other suggestions?
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Sorry I can not comment on the Spot.

I have been on Surly 1x1, Bianchi and Redline bikes before I bought my Kona
Unit last year.

I have a 24lbs Kona Unit ($425 for the frame) and although it is a great
frame it does not compare with my 22lbs One-9 Niner ($750 for the frame) .
Again I suggest that you not buy a 26 inch wheeled SS bike until to ride a
29er. If you were in So-cal I would let you demo my Niner.

I have not been on my Unit for a while and have it for sale on MTBR.

Ride-A-Lot
October 13th 05, 12:19 PM
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first I
>> was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that will
>> not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some of the
>> smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100. It is a SS
>> hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is vertical dropouts
>> (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS devotion). The Spot
>> has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any other suggestions?
>>

>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>
> Sorry I can not comment on the Spot.
>
> I have been on Surly 1x1, Bianchi and Redline bikes before I bought my Kona
> Unit last year.
>
> I have a 24lbs Kona Unit ($425 for the frame) and although it is a great
> frame it does not compare with my 22lbs One-9 Niner ($750 for the frame) .
> Again I suggest that you not buy a 26 inch wheeled SS bike until to ride a
> 29er. If you were in So-cal I would let you demo my Niner.
>
> I have not been on my Unit for a while and have it for sale on MTBR.

Dean, how tall are you. I am short. 5'5" on a good day. I tried out
my friend's GF rig which was the smallest size they had available.
Adding three inches to the tire increases the height of that bike. The
can't drop the seat tube or you'd be riding in between the wheels.
While they can fix the standover, it doesn't distract from the fact that
when I am sitting on the seat, it's like being on a skyscrapper or
better yet a road bike. I don't crash on the road as often as I do on
the dirt. Falling from that height is too dangerous for the trails.

I will call Niner bikes and talk to them. Hopefully they will be honest.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Duncan
October 13th 05, 12:44 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100.
> It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is
> vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
> other suggestions?

I can't comment first hand as I've never ridden a spot that was my size but
quite a few of my friends ride spots and love them. A good friend of mine
is the Australian importer so maybe I'm a bit biased.

As for the vertical dropouts I'm curious as to your reasons. I find one of
the best things about an SS is the taught chain. No slap, no drag and much
lesser chance of it coming off.

My SS has vertical dropouts but I went for an Eno. It works great and as it
is a fixie I don't have to worry about adjusting brakes with chain tension.

Ride-A-Lot
October 13th 05, 02:21 PM
Duncan wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
>> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
>> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
>> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100.
>> It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is
>> vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
>> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
>> other suggestions?
>
> I can't comment first hand as I've never ridden a spot that was my size but
> quite a few of my friends ride spots and love them. A good friend of mine
> is the Australian importer so maybe I'm a bit biased.
>
> As for the vertical dropouts I'm curious as to your reasons. I find one of
> the best things about an SS is the taught chain. No slap, no drag and much
> lesser chance of it coming off.
>
> My SS has vertical dropouts but I went for an Eno. It works great and as it
> is a fixie I don't have to worry about adjusting brakes with chain tension.

When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric bottom
bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out tensioning
thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on my 1FG isn't
loose at all.

I like the verts because I can change a flat a lot quicker. The people
I ride with are fast (well, faster than me) and the don't wait around
much. So being able to get back on the bike faster doesn't leave me behind.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Duncan
October 13th 05, 02:48 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message > When I talk
of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric bottom
> bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out tensioning
> thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on my 1FG isn't
> loose at all.

Eccentric BBs sound like a good solution, I've never used one though.

> I like the verts because I can change a flat a lot quicker. The people
> I ride with are fast (well, faster than me) and the don't wait around
> much. So being able to get back on the bike faster doesn't leave me
behind.

A lot of SSers I ride with use chain tugs, it takes a little longer but no
big deal. Flats seem to be a fairly rare occurence with the people I ride
with, might just be the terrain.
I found I've had to do my Eno bolts up so tight to stop it slipping that a
multi tool won't get it off. I've only ever had one flat on it and I had to
patch it 'in situ'.

Dean A. Stepper
October 13th 05, 03:14 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
>>> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
>>> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
>>> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100. It
>>> is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is vertical
>>> dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
>>> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
>>> other suggestions?
>>>

>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>
>> Sorry I can not comment on the Spot.
>>
>> I have been on Surly 1x1, Bianchi and Redline bikes before I bought my
>> Kona Unit last year.
>>
>> I have a 24lbs Kona Unit ($425 for the frame) and although it is a great
>> frame it does not compare with my 22lbs One-9 Niner ($750 for the frame)
>> . Again I suggest that you not buy a 26 inch wheeled SS bike until to
>> ride a 29er. If you were in So-cal I would let you demo my Niner.
>>
>> I have not been on my Unit for a while and have it for sale on MTBR.
>>

> Dean, how tall are you. I am short. 5'5" on a good day. I tried out my
> friend's GF rig which was the smallest size they had available. Adding
> three inches to the tire increases the height of that bike. The can't drop
> the seat tube or you'd be riding in between the wheels. While they can fix
> the standover, it doesn't distract from the fact that when I am sitting on
> the seat, it's like being on a skyscrapper or better yet a road bike. I
> don't crash on the road as often as I do on the dirt. Falling from that
> height is too dangerous for the trails.
>
> I will call Niner bikes and talk to them. Hopefully they will be honest.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

I am 5'10", Medium 5-spot and Niner frames and a 18 inch Kona Frame. Riding
between the wheels is a very comforting feeling. I feel much safer on my 29
inch bike that my other bikes. I just seems that it would be much harder to
endo. I roll drops and go down steep stuff on the seat on the Niner when I
have to get my weight behind the seat on my other bikes.

Dean A. Stepper
October 13th 05, 03:18 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Duncan wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
>>> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
>>> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
>>> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100.
>>> It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is
>>> vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
>>> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
>>> other suggestions?
>>
>> I can't comment first hand as I've never ridden a spot that was my size
>> but
>> quite a few of my friends ride spots and love them. A good friend of
>> mine
>> is the Australian importer so maybe I'm a bit biased.
>>
>> As for the vertical dropouts I'm curious as to your reasons. I find one
>> of
>> the best things about an SS is the taught chain. No slap, no drag and
>> much
>> lesser chance of it coming off.
>>
>> My SS has vertical dropouts but I went for an Eno. It works great and as
>> it
>> is a fixie I don't have to worry about adjusting brakes with chain
>> tension.
>>

> When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric bottom
> bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out tensioning
> thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on my 1FG isn't loose
> at all.
>
> I like the verts because I can change a flat a lot quicker. The people I
> ride with are fast (well, faster than me) and the don't wait around much.
> So being able to get back on the bike faster doesn't leave me behind.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

If you are in a hurry and don't mind the cost carry a Seal N Flate
http://www.genuineinnovations.com/INmain.asp?Option=CatList&Category=bike&SubCategory=power

(PeteCresswell)
October 13th 05, 04:32 PM
Per Duncan:
> I find one of
>the best things about an SS is the taught chain.

You can also teach the chain via Rohloff adjustable dropouts or an eccentric BB.
--
PeteCresswell

JD
October 13th 05, 06:05 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100.
> It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is
> vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
> other suggestions?

I saw Spot mentioned in this thread and can assure you that if they are
still having them fabricated by the Mutant, they'll be very high
quality. My brother is riding a Spot SS and has been for a few years
with no complaints at all.

JD

MattB
October 13th 05, 06:50 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100. It
> is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is vertical
> dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
> other suggestions?

Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!

Matt

G.T.
October 13th 05, 07:16 PM
"Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message

> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> > As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
> > was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
will
> > not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some of
the
> > smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100. It is a
SS
> > hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is vertical dropouts
> > (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS devotion). The
Spot
> > has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any other suggestions?
> >

> > --
> > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> > www.schnauzers.ws
>
> Sorry I can not comment on the Spot.
>
> I have been on Surly 1x1, Bianchi and Redline bikes before I bought my
Kona
> Unit last year.
>
> I have a 24lbs Kona Unit ($425 for the frame) and although it is a great
> frame it does not compare with my 22lbs One-9 Niner ($750 for the frame) .
> Again I suggest that you not buy a 26 inch wheeled SS bike until to ride a
> 29er. If you were in So-cal I would let you demo my Niner.

Sorry, but Paladin probably doesn't stick to fireroads.

Greg

G.T.
October 13th 05, 07:16 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message

> I like the verts because I can change a flat a lot quicker. The people
> I ride with are fast (well, faster than me) and the don't wait around
> much. So being able to get back on the bike faster doesn't leave me
behind.

You've got THE wrong riding partners.

Greg

Ride-A-Lot
October 13th 05, 07:26 PM
MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At
>> first I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price
>> tags that will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock
>> frames from some of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the
>> frame under $1100. It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other
>> requirement is vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it
>> not being true SS devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want.
>> Anyone ride one? Any other suggestions?
>>

> Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
> Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!
>
> Matt

I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I can
keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.

Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

bomba
October 13th 05, 07:33 PM
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:21:57 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric bottom
> bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out tensioning
> thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on my 1FG isn't
> loose at all.

EBB's are falling out of favour - they tend to creak a lot. I've been
doing a load of research in to this as I look to my next bike. There are a
couple of other options open to you if you want to go SS with discs.

1) Sliding drop-outs. On-One have recently ditched the EBB in favour of
sliding drop-outs. Voodoo and Kona are other manufacturers. They're a nice
solution but, personally, I'm not particularly keen on the aesthetics.

2) Slotted mounts. Probably the nicest solution, but not so good for quick
changes. Spot use this solution for their track-end bikes, as do Soma and
Surly. It's the solution that I'm going to go for.

If you need photos of frames with slotted mounts, let me know.

Ride-A-Lot
October 13th 05, 07:46 PM
bomba wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:21:57 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>> When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric bottom
>> bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out tensioning
>> thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on my 1FG isn't
>> loose at all.
>
> EBB's are falling out of favour - they tend to creak a lot. I've been
> doing a load of research in to this as I look to my next bike. There are a
> couple of other options open to you if you want to go SS with discs.

I routinely take out my EBB on the 1FG and regrease it. Yes, they do
squeak if you do not maintain them, often. They can also seize up.

> 1) Sliding drop-outs. On-One have recently ditched the EBB in favour of
> sliding drop-outs. Voodoo and Kona are other manufacturers. They're a nice
> solution but, personally, I'm not particularly keen on the aesthetics.

The Voodoo is OK, the Kona is bleh!

> 2) Slotted mounts. Probably the nicest solution, but not so good for quick
> changes. Spot use this solution for their track-end bikes, as do Soma and
> Surly. It's the solution that I'm going to go for.

Send me a pic link. I'm curious.

> If you need photos of frames with slotted mounts, let me know.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Jimbo(san)
October 13th 05, 08:07 PM
<bomba
2) Slotted mounts. Probably the nicest solution, but not so good for
quick
changes. Spot use this solution for their track-end bikes, as do Soma
and
Surly. It's the solution that I'm going to go for.

If you need photos of frames with slotted mounts, let me know.>

This is what is on the Bianchi we ride... Works well for me...
I agree with GT... If you have buddies who can't wait a few minutes for
you... Your riding with the wrong people.

Jimbo(san)

--
Jimbo(san)

MattB
October 13th 05, 08:29 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At
>>> first I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price
>>> tags that will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock
>>> frames from some of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the
>>> frame under $1100. It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other
>>> requirement is vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it
>>> not being true SS devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want.
>>> Anyone ride one? Any other suggestions?
>>>

>> Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
>> Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!
>>
>> Matt
>

> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I can
> keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.
>
> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!

Keep in mind an SS is not the ideal bike on most of the high rides IMO.
Most high alpine stuff I do is on the Epic, but the 1x1 rules the high
desert.

Matt

Craig Brossman
October 13th 05, 08:53 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>>> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At
>>> first I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price
>>> tags that will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock
>>> frames from some of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the
>>> frame under $1100. It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other
>>> requirement is vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it
>>> not being true SS devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want.
>>> Anyone ride one? Any other suggestions?
>>>

>> Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
>> Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!
>>
>> Matt
>

> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I can
> keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.
>
> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!

I see a few SSs out on the trails here, but not many.
Maybe it is because there are so many long climbs, maybe the local bike
shops have drugged us to believing geared bikes are the only way to go,
maybe Durango area riders are all low-skilled and in poor condition,
perhaps a bit of all three.
BUT, I have a work buddy who finished 5th (IIRC) in the VaporTrail 125
on a fully rigid, 29" SS, and he always seemed human to me.
And he is trying to talk me into getting one.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Ride-A-Lot
October 13th 05, 09:02 PM
MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> MattB wrote:

>>> Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
>>> Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!
>>>
>>> Matt
>>

>> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I
>> can keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.
>>
>> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!
>>

> Keep in mind an SS is not the ideal bike on most of the high rides IMO.
> Most high alpine stuff I do is on the Epic, but the 1x1 rules the high
> desert.
>
> Matt

Why? I think I could do SS on Two Elk in Vail. Is it the technical
that's the problem or the climbing? I could handle a 1 or 2 mile
"normal" ascent on the SS. Slowly, but I think I could do it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

MattB
October 13th 05, 09:47 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I
>>> can keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.
>>>
>>> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!
>>>

>> Keep in mind an SS is not the ideal bike on most of the high rides
>> IMO. Most high alpine stuff I do is on the Epic, but the 1x1 rules the
>> high desert.
>>
>> Matt
>

> Why? I think I could do SS on Two Elk in Vail. Is it the technical
> that's the problem or the climbing? I could handle a 1 or 2 mile
> "normal" ascent on the SS. Slowly, but I think I could do it.

I'm thinking long, steep climbs. Technical is great on the SS, unless
it's part of a long, steep climb. Not saying it can't be done, but that
kind of stuff is better suited to having gears. The subsequent DH is
also better with a big ring and suspension.

Last time I did 401 I did the whole climb in the middle ring, but only
barely. That's a little easier gearing than my 2:1+1 on the 1x1. I made
a point of thinking about how it would be on the SS. I think for me it's
doable with some walking in the steeper sections, but I'd prefer the
Epic and all of it's modern comforts.

403 or Deer Creek or Teocalli Ridge or Canyon Creek would be _very_
difficult on a SS.

Matt

MattB
October 13th 05, 09:51 PM
Craig Brossman wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>> MattB wrote:

>>> Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
>>> Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!
>>>
>>> Matt
>>

>> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I
>> can keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.
>>
>> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!
>>

> I see a few SSs out on the trails here, but not many.
> Maybe it is because there are so many long climbs, maybe the local bike
> shops have drugged us to believing geared bikes are the only way to go,
> maybe Durango area riders are all low-skilled and in poor condition,
> perhaps a bit of all three.
> BUT, I have a work buddy who finished 5th (IIRC) in the VaporTrail 125
> on a fully rigid, 29" SS, and he always seemed human to me.
> And he is trying to talk me into getting one.

I'm guessing it's the long steep climbs. Same for CB. There are some,
but most people ride that stuff with gears and for good reason IMO!

Matt

PS - How 'bout Dave and Jason (#1 and #2 G-Spot boys) in that
VaporTrail, eh? That sounded brutal...

bomba
October 13th 05, 10:12 PM
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:46:03 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>> 2) Slotted mounts. Probably the nicest solution, but not so good for quick
>> changes. Spot use this solution for their track-end bikes, as do Soma and
>> Surly. It's the solution that I'm going to go for.
>
> Send me a pic link. I'm curious.

Surly: http://www.simonbarnes.net/images/discmount.jpg
Addition to an Inbred: http://mike2392.fotopic.net/p12695378.html
Spot: http://andycarter.fotopic.net/p10597587.html
http://andycarter.fotopic.net/p11768071.html
http://andycarter.fotopic.net/p11043941.html

They look a bit fiddly, but one of the guys on Singletrack says he only
has to loosen one bolt to take the wheel out.

BTW, I agree with GT, if you're friends are riding off whilst you're
fixing a flat, you're riding with the wrong people.

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 13th 05, 11:21 PM
bomba wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:21:57 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>> When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric
>> bottom bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out
>> tensioning thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on
>> my 1FG isn't loose at all.
>
> EBB's are falling out of favour - they tend to creak a lot. I've been
> doing a load of research in to this as I look to my next bike. There
> are a couple of other options open to you if you want to go SS with
> discs.

Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
rear?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

MattB
October 13th 05, 11:48 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> bomba wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:21:57 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>

>>>When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric
>>>bottom bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out
>>>tensioning thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on
>>>my 1FG isn't loose at all.
>>
>>EBB's are falling out of favour - they tend to creak a lot. I've been
>>doing a load of research in to this as I look to my next bike. There
>>are a couple of other options open to you if you want to go SS with
>>discs.
>

> Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
> rear?

That the one I'd probably use if I went to disc(s) on the SS before the
dust has settled on all of this. I bet one or two solutions will emerge
as the "right" one(s) in another year or two.

Matt

GeeDubb
October 14th 05, 12:25 AM
"G.T." > wrote in message ...

> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>>
>> I like the verts because I can change a flat a lot quicker. The people
>> I ride with are fast (well, faster than me) and the don't wait around
>> much. So being able to get back on the bike faster doesn't leave me
> behind.
>>

> You've got THE wrong riding partners.
>
> Greg
That's for sure, I'd never leave a rider behind and neither does anyone I ride or have ridden with. Maybe it's an eastern thing?

Gary

GeeDubb
October 14th 05, 12:36 AM
"Ride-A-Lot"
>> Whatever you get, you should bring it for Hartman's riding next summer!
>> Hartman Rocks rocks on the SS!
>>
>> Matt
>
> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I can keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS
> to Colorado.
>
> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!

I guess I took the wrong up at Hartman's because it was one rocky (big boulders) climb and I was walking with my geared bike (blame
it on the sore back). Once on top it would be ss heaven though I was spinning some pretty tall gears. SS would be spinning fast.

That aside, we have plenty of time to plan! Maybe we can drag Paladin down and JD back for a weeks worth of riding. I've got 800
square feet of living space and 40 acres to camp on. I'm about 2 hours from everywhere there's other MTB'rs, 2 hrs to Durango, 2
hrs to Gunnison, 2 hrs to GJ, and closer to some awesome alpine stuff that's rarely ridden.

Must ride.......great day today but feeling lazy so hiked instead.

Gary

small change
October 14th 05, 01:24 AM
bomba wrote:> BTW, I agree with GT, if you're friends are riding off whilst
you're
> fixing a flat, you're riding with the wrong people.

I don't think he said they were friends, just people he rides with.

~p.

Ride-A-Lot
October 14th 05, 02:03 AM
small change wrote:
> bomba wrote:> BTW, I agree with GT, if you're friends are riding off whilst
> you're
>> fixing a flat, you're riding with the wrong people.
>
> I don't think he said they were friends, just people he rides with.
>
> ~p.

LOL Penny. ;)

.... It's a long story that she knows and I will not be typing again
anytime soon.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 02:05 AM
"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
message news:f5B3f.6147$jw6.241@lakeread02...
> bomba wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:21:57 -0400, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>>> When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric
>>> bottom bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out
>>> tensioning thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on
>>> my 1FG isn't loose at all.
>>
>> EBB's are falling out of favour - they tend to creak a lot. I've been
>> doing a load of research in to this as I look to my next bike. There
>> are a couple of other options open to you if you want to go SS with
>> discs.
>
> Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
> rear?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training may be they don't have mountains where you ride. I
have gone down Kamikaze in Mammoth and wanted a 8 inch instead of a 6 inch
on the back. I don't think there would be much pad left on a v-brake after
a run or two...but maybe I am wrong!

Ride-A-Lot
October 14th 05, 02:10 AM
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>>> Sorry I can not comment on the Spot.
>>>
>>> I have been on Surly 1x1, Bianchi and Redline bikes before I bought my
>>> Kona Unit last year.
>>>
>>> I have a 24lbs Kona Unit ($425 for the frame) and although it is a great
>>> frame it does not compare with my 22lbs One-9 Niner ($750 for the frame)
>>> . Again I suggest that you not buy a 26 inch wheeled SS bike until to
>>> ride a 29er. If you were in So-cal I would let you demo my Niner.
>>>
>>> I have not been on my Unit for a while and have it for sale on MTBR.
>>>
>> Dean, how tall are you. I am short. 5'5" on a good day. I tried out my
>> friend's GF rig which was the smallest size they had available. Adding
>> three inches to the tire increases the height of that bike. The can't drop
>> the seat tube or you'd be riding in between the wheels. While they can fix
>> the standover, it doesn't distract from the fact that when I am sitting on
>> the seat, it's like being on a skyscrapper or better yet a road bike. I
>> don't crash on the road as often as I do on the dirt. Falling from that
>> height is too dangerous for the trails.
>>
>> I will call Niner bikes and talk to them. Hopefully they will be honest.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>
> I am 5'10", Medium 5-spot and Niner frames and a 18 inch Kona Frame. Riding
> between the wheels is a very comforting feeling. I feel much safer on my 29
> inch bike that my other bikes. I just seems that it would be much harder to
> endo. I roll drops and go down steep stuff on the seat on the Niner when I
> have to get my weight behind the seat on my other bikes.

I had a long phone conversation with the owner of Niner Bikes today.
Wow, I actually got to talk to the owner. That's something to be said
about small builders. Anyway, the guy was really nice on the phone and
couldn't stop talking about how he loves to ride. I found out he is
5'6" and actually built the small frame around his build. He was going
on and on about how nice a ride it was and that it really took the SS
experience to a whole new level. Well, that last part I could pretty
much ignore as I think SS in itself regardless of the bike is a
different level.

I quizzed him on the manufacturing process, the geometry, standover,
handling, yada, yada, yada. He really took the time to go over
everything and I really appreciate it. I have added their bike to my
short list.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

G.T.
October 14th 05, 02:21 AM

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
> message news:f5B3f.6147$jw6.241@lakeread02...
> > bomba wrote:

> >> EBB's are falling out of favour - they tend to creak a lot. I've been
> >> doing a load of research in to this as I look to my next bike. There
> >> are a couple of other options open to you if you want to go SS with
> >> discs.
> >
> > Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
> > rear?
> >
> > --
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
> >

> Phil, Squid-in-Training may be they don't have mountains where you ride.
> have gone down Kamikaze in Mammoth and wanted a 8 inch instead of a 6 inch
> on the back. I don't think there would be much pad left on a v-brake
after
> a run or two...but maybe I am wrong!

Hmmm, I've done Kamikaze on a full rigid with cantilevers. How much brake
do you need on an access road?

Greg

Corvus Corvax
October 14th 05, 03:07 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
> rear?

Poseurs buying blinglespeeds will settle for nothing less.

CC

(PeteCresswell)
October 14th 05, 03:07 AM
Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
>Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
>rear?

I've tried a V on the rear and, for me at least, it was 100% adequate
brake-wise. Only reason I went back to a disk was that my calf keeps bumping
the cable assembly on a V.
--
PeteCresswell

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 03:32 AM
"G.T." > wrote in message

> "Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in
>> message news:f5B3f.6147$jw6.241@lakeread02...

>> > Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
>> > rear?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Phil, Squid-in-Training
>> >

>> Phil, Squid-in-Training may be they don't have mountains where you ride.
>> have gone down Kamikaze in Mammoth and wanted a 8 inch instead of a 6
>> inch
>> on the back. I don't think there would be much pad left on a v-brake
> after
>> a run or two...but maybe I am wrong!
>>

> Hmmm, I've done Kamikaze on a full rigid with cantilevers. How much brake
> do you need on an access road?
>
> Greg

Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The Hayes 6
inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8 inch on the
front was fine.

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 03:34 AM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>>> Dean, how tall are you. I am short. 5'5" on a good day. I tried out
>>> my friend's GF rig which was the smallest size they had available.
>>> Adding three inches to the tire increases the height of that bike. The
>>> can't drop the seat tube or you'd be riding in between the wheels. While
>>> they can fix the standover, it doesn't distract from the fact that when
>>> I am sitting on the seat, it's like being on a skyscrapper or better yet
>>> a road bike. I don't crash on the road as often as I do on the dirt.
>>> Falling from that height is too dangerous for the trails.
>>>
>>> I will call Niner bikes and talk to them. Hopefully they will be
>>> honest.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>
>> I am 5'10", Medium 5-spot and Niner frames and a 18 inch Kona Frame.
>> Riding between the wheels is a very comforting feeling. I feel much
>> safer on my 29 inch bike that my other bikes. I just seems that it would
>> be much harder to endo. I roll drops and go down steep stuff on the seat
>> on the Niner when I have to get my weight behind the seat on my other
>> bikes.
>
> I had a long phone conversation with the owner of Niner Bikes today. Wow,
> I actually got to talk to the owner. That's something to be said about
> small builders. Anyway, the guy was really nice on the phone and couldn't
> stop talking about how he loves to ride. I found out he is 5'6" and
> actually built the small frame around his build. He was going on and on
> about how nice a ride it was and that it really took the SS experience to
> a whole new level. Well, that last part I could pretty much ignore as I
> think SS in itself regardless of the bike is a different level.
>
> I quizzed him on the manufacturing process, the geometry, standover,
> handling, yada, yada, yada. He really took the time to go over everything
> and I really appreciate it. I have added their bike to my short list.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Are you looking at their steel or scandium frame?

Ride-A-Lot
October 14th 05, 03:51 AM
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>>> I am 5'10", Medium 5-spot and Niner frames and a 18 inch Kona Frame.
>>> Riding between the wheels is a very comforting feeling. I feel much
>>> safer on my 29 inch bike that my other bikes. I just seems that it would
>>> be much harder to endo. I roll drops and go down steep stuff on the seat
>>> on the Niner when I have to get my weight behind the seat on my other
>>> bikes.
>> I had a long phone conversation with the owner of Niner Bikes today. Wow,
>> I actually got to talk to the owner. That's something to be said about
>> small builders. Anyway, the guy was really nice on the phone and couldn't
>> stop talking about how he loves to ride. I found out he is 5'6" and
>> actually built the small frame around his build. He was going on and on
>> about how nice a ride it was and that it really took the SS experience to
>> a whole new level. Well, that last part I could pretty much ignore as I
>> think SS in itself regardless of the bike is a different level.
>>
>> I quizzed him on the manufacturing process, the geometry, standover,
>> handling, yada, yada, yada. He really took the time to go over everything
>> and I really appreciate it. I have added their bike to my short list.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>
> Are you looking at their steel or scandium frame?

SCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little too damp in
these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on me in
spite of my best efforts to prevent it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 06:16 AM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>>> I had a long phone conversation with the owner of Niner Bikes today.
>>> Wow, I actually got to talk to the owner. That's something to be said
>>> about small builders. Anyway, the guy was really nice on the phone and
>>> couldn't stop talking about how he loves to ride. I found out he is
>>> 5'6" and actually built the small frame around his build. He was going
>>> on and on about how nice a ride it was and that it really took the SS
>>> experience to a whole new level. Well, that last part I could pretty
>>> much ignore as I think SS in itself regardless of the bike is a
>>> different level.
>>>
>>> I quizzed him on the manufacturing process, the geometry, standover,
>>> handling, yada, yada, yada. He really took the time to go over
>>> everything and I really appreciate it. I have added their bike to my
>>> short list.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws
>>
>> Are you looking at their steel or scandium frame?
>
> SCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little too damp in
> these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on me in
> spite of my best efforts to prevent it.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Yes steel frame coming soon. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=134040

JD
October 14th 05, 08:50 AM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> I routinely take out my EBB on the 1FG and regrease it. Yes, they do
> squeak if you do not maintain them, often. They can also seize up.

Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
*need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
for them.

JD

Parbs
October 14th 05, 11:30 AM
"bomba" wrote in message ...

> Surly: http://www.simonbarnes.net/images/discmount.jpg
>
>snip<
>
> They look a bit fiddly, but one of the guys on Singletrack says he only
> has to loosen one bolt to take the wheel out.

I've managed to get mine set so I don't need to adjust the brakes at all to take the wheel off.

> BTW, I agree with GT, if you're friends are riding off whilst you're
> fixing a flat, you're riding with the wrong people.

Yup.

Parbs

Craig Brossman
October 14th 05, 01:43 PM
MattB wrote:
> Craig Brossman wrote:
>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> I am probably bringing the existing 1FG to Arizona next month. If I
>>> can keep up with Gary on that, then I will bring the new SS to Colorado.
>>>
>>> Hear that GeeDub? Get that Redline in gear!
>>>

>> I see a few SSs out on the trails here, but not many.
>> Maybe it is because there are so many long climbs, maybe the local
>> bike shops have drugged us to believing geared bikes are the only way
>> to go, maybe Durango area riders are all low-skilled and in poor
>> condition, perhaps a bit of all three.
>> BUT, I have a work buddy who finished 5th (IIRC) in the VaporTrail 125
>> on a fully rigid, 29" SS, and he always seemed human to me.
>> And he is trying to talk me into getting one.
>>

> I'm guessing it's the long steep climbs. Same for CB. There are some,
> but most people ride that stuff with gears and for good reason IMO!
>
> Matt
>
> PS - How 'bout Dave and Jason (#1 and #2 G-Spot boys) in that
> VaporTrail, eh? That sounded brutal...

Sounded very brutal ... and on a fully rigid SS. Amazing to me.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Jimbo(san)
October 14th 05, 03:02 PM
<Ride-A-LotSCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little
too damp in
these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on me in
spite of my best efforts to prevent it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
[url]www.schnauzers.ws>

Is it that wet???
buy a can of frame saver... I don't live that far away and I haven't
had rust problems on any steel bike I own...
Not that I have anything agianst Scandium...

I want to ride a buddie's Karate Monkey... I rode a Vicious 29er a few
years ago and loved it... We can't afford another bike in the stable
but I would like to see what a 29'er like on home trails..
Plus he has those Jones bars and I am curious to see what that is all
about

Jimbo(san)

--
Jimbo(san)

Shaun aRe
October 14th 05, 03:32 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > I routinely take out my EBB on the 1FG and regrease it. Yes, they do
> > squeak if you do not maintain them, often. They can also seize up.
>

> Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
> horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
> *need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
> for them.
>
> JD

Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?

Shaun aRe

MattB
October 14th 05, 03:59 PM
Jimbo(san) wrote:
> <Ride-A-LotSCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little
> too damp in
> these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on me in
> spite of my best efforts to prevent it.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> [url]www.schnauzers.ws>
>
> Is it that wet???
> buy a can of frame saver... I don't live that far away and I haven't
> had rust problems on any steel bike I own...
> Not that I have anything agianst Scandium...
>
> I want to ride a buddie's Karate Monkey... I rode a Vicious 29er a few
> years ago and loved it... We can't afford another bike in the stable
> but I would like to see what a 29'er like on home trails..
> Plus he has those Jones bars and I am curious to see what that is all
> about
>

> Jimbo(san)

My brother's got a Karate Monkey built up as an SS. Really nice build
with King hubs, XTR cranks, Easton, etc. It's a sweet ride and rolls
really fast. I'm still very happy with my 1x1 for the kind of stuff I
usually ride. I feel like I'm too high off the ground riding technical
stuff on the 29er. It would make a good addition to the quiver, but I'd
still keep my 26er too.

Matt

MattB
October 14th 05, 04:01 PM
Craig Brossman wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> Craig Brossman wrote:

>>> I see a few SSs out on the trails here, but not many.
>>> Maybe it is because there are so many long climbs, maybe the local
>>> bike shops have drugged us to believing geared bikes are the only way
>>> to go, maybe Durango area riders are all low-skilled and in poor
>>> condition, perhaps a bit of all three.
>>> BUT, I have a work buddy who finished 5th (IIRC) in the VaporTrail
>>> 125 on a fully rigid, 29" SS, and he always seemed human to me.
>>> And he is trying to talk me into getting one.
>>>

>> I'm guessing it's the long steep climbs. Same for CB. There are some,
>> but most people ride that stuff with gears and for good reason IMO!
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> PS - How 'bout Dave and Jason (#1 and #2 G-Spot boys) in that
>> VaporTrail, eh? That sounded brutal...
>

> Sounded very brutal ... and on a fully rigid SS. Amazing to me.

Even Dave, who is often the king of understatement gave me a tired look
and said "That was brutal." and he was on his Maverick (that he gets
paid to ride - not a bad deal!).

Matt

Ride-A-Lot
October 14th 05, 04:09 PM
Jimbo(san) wrote:
> <Ride-A-LotSCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little
> too damp in
> these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on me in
> spite of my best efforts to prevent it.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> [url]www.schnauzers.ws>
>
> Is it that wet???
> buy a can of frame saver... I don't live that far away and I haven't
> had rust problems on any steel bike I own...
> Not that I have anything agianst Scandium...
>
> I want to ride a buddie's Karate Monkey... I rode a Vicious 29er a few
> years ago and loved it... We can't afford another bike in the stable
> but I would like to see what a 29'er like on home trails..
> Plus he has those Jones bars and I am curious to see what that is all
> about
>

> Jimbo(san)

I wonder about the handling in this area too. With the tight twisty
singletrack we have, faster and nimbler is better. What will the 29"
wheels will do for the turns.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 14th 05, 04:21 PM
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "G.T." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message

>>> Phil, Squid-in-Training may be they don't have mountains where you
>>> ride. I have gone down Kamikaze in Mammoth and wanted a 8 inch
>>> instead of a 6 inch
>>> on the back. I don't think there would be much pad left on a
>>> v-brake after a run or two...but maybe I am wrong!
>>>

>> Hmmm, I've done Kamikaze on a full rigid with cantilevers. How much
>> brake do you need on an access road?
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The
> Hayes 6 inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8
> inch on the front was fine.

Damn. I forgot about body weight. Yes, okay, Clydesdales need them.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Scott Gordo
October 14th 05, 04:46 PM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Duncan wrote:
> > "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> >> As I mentioned previously, I am looking at a new singlespeed. At first
> >> I was going to go full custom, but after looking at the price tags that
> >> will not be possible. So now I am looking at the stock frames from some
> >> of the smaller builders. I would like to keep the frame under $1100.
> >> It is a SS hardtail for god's sake. My only other requirement is
> >> vertical dropouts (I have my reasons regardless of it not being true SS
> >> devotion). The Spot has the requirements I want. Anyone ride one? Any
> >> other suggestions?
> >
> > I can't comment first hand as I've never ridden a spot that was my size but
> > quite a few of my friends ride spots and love them. A good friend of mine
> > is the Australian importer so maybe I'm a bit biased.
> >
> > As for the vertical dropouts I'm curious as to your reasons. I find one of
> > the best things about an SS is the taught chain. No slap, no drag and much
> > lesser chance of it coming off.
> >
> > My SS has vertical dropouts but I went for an Eno. It works great and as it
> > is a fixie I don't have to worry about adjusting brakes with chain tension.
> >

> When I talk of no dropouts, I am also thinking about an ecentric bottom
> bracket (like I have on my crapandfail 1fg) or the drop-out tensioning
> thing-a-ma-bob (like on the SC Cameleon). The chain on my 1FG isn't
> loose at all.
>
> I like the verts because I can change a flat a lot quicker. The people
> I ride with are fast (well, faster than me) and the don't wait around
> much. So being able to get back on the bike faster doesn't leave me behind.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

What's wrong with the Cannondale?
/s

JD
October 14th 05, 04:48 PM
Scott Gordo wrote:
> What's wrong with the Cannondale?

You have to ask?

JD

Ride-A-Lot
October 14th 05, 04:53 PM
Scott Gordo wrote:

> What's wrong with the Cannondale?
> /s

Nothing is wrong with it. I bought it used to try out SSing. I am
hooked, so now I want a brand new bike that I raised from a pup. I am
sure the cdale will make the next owner happy as well and I will
probably get more than I bought it for (I got it really cheap and no
it's not hot).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Scott Gordo
October 14th 05, 04:55 PM
JD wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > What's wrong with the Cannondale?
>

> You have to ask?
>
> JD

Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?

(Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)

Scott

G.T.
October 14th 05, 06:47 PM

> "G.T." > wrote in message
> >

> > Hmmm, I've done Kamikaze on a full rigid with cantilevers. How much
brake
> > do you need on an access road?
> >
> > Greg
> >

> Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The Hayes
6
> inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8 inch on the
> front was fine.

At the time I was 205 on the bike. Since then I've gained weight, done many
descents 4 to 5 times as long as Kamikaze, added a front fork, but still
managed with V-brakes.

Greg

JD
October 14th 05, 07:04 PM
G.T. wrote:
> "Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message
> >
> > "G.T." > wrote in message
> > >

> > > Hmmm, I've done Kamikaze on a full rigid with cantilevers. How much
> brake
> > > do you need on an access road?

The first few flights I took on Icarus were on a hardtail with
cantilever brakes and I'd wager it's steeper, narrower and more
elevation loss than the infamous Kamikaze in Mammoth. However, it is
easier to ride descents with a disc up front, but nobody *needs* a disc
rear brake, even at 225 lbs.

> > Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The Hayes
> 6
> > inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8 inch on the
> > front was fine.

Sounds like an issue with the brake pad compound. I've turned 6"
rotors blue hot and have not had fading issues with mechanical Avids
and metallic compound pads.

> At the time I was 205 on the bike. Since then I've gained weight, done many
> descents 4 to 5 times as long as Kamikaze, added a front fork, but still
> managed with V-brakes.

I ride my SS just about anywhere, have taken it on Icarus as well and
have found that long descents still don't require disc brakes.

JD

bomba
October 14th 05, 07:05 PM
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:32:24 +0100, Shaun aRe wrote:

>> Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
>> horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
>> *need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
>> for them.
>>
>> JD
>
> Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?

And skids!

MattB
October 14th 05, 07:07 PM
JD wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>"Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message

>>brake

> The first few flights I took on Icarus were on a hardtail with
> cantilever brakes and I'd wager it's steeper, narrower and more
> elevation loss than the infamous Kamikaze in Mammoth. However, it is
> easier to ride descents with a disc up front, but nobody *needs* a disc
> rear brake, even at 225 lbs.
>

>>>Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The Hayes
>>
>>6
>>
>>>inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8 inch on the
>>>front was fine.
>

> Sounds like an issue with the brake pad compound. I've turned 6"
> rotors blue hot and have not had fading issues with mechanical Avids
> and metallic compound pads.
>

>>At the time I was 205 on the bike. Since then I've gained weight, done many
>>descents 4 to 5 times as long as Kamikaze, added a front fork, but still
>>managed with V-brakes.
>

> I ride my SS just about anywhere, have taken it on Icarus as well and
> have found that long descents still don't require disc brakes.
>
> JD

Yep. I'm no heavyweight, but I've done the Crest on a rigid with cantis,
and Canyon creek with V's on a hardtail (with you IIRC).

Discs are nice, but I wouldn't call them necessary unless you race DH
and are trying to win.

Matt

bomba
October 14th 05, 07:07 PM
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:21:14 -0400, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
> rear?

Ever ride in a UK winter?

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 07:50 PM
"Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
> Jimbo(san) wrote:
>> <Ride-A-LotSCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little
>> too damp in
>> these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on me in
>> spite of my best efforts to prevent it.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> [url]www.schnauzers.ws>
>>
>> Is it that wet???
>> buy a can of frame saver... I don't live that far away and I haven't
>> had rust problems on any steel bike I own...
>> Not that I have anything agianst Scandium...
>>
>> I want to ride a buddie's Karate Monkey... I rode a Vicious 29er a few
>> years ago and loved it... We can't afford another bike in the stable
>> but I would like to see what a 29'er like on home trails..
>> Plus he has those Jones bars and I am curious to see what that is all
>> about
>>

>> Jimbo(san)
>>

> I wonder about the handling in this area too. With the tight twisty
> singletrack we have, faster and nimbler is better. What will the 29"
> wheels will do for the turns.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

I have only been on one 29 inch bike and that is my One-9 Niner. So my
comparison is limited, what I can compare is my Niner to the dozens of 26
inch full suspension, hardtails and single speeds. I have e-mailed a
picture to ride-a-lot comparing the seat height of my 5-spot to my One-9.
The bottom bracket on the Niner is low so the seat height is about three
inches lower that the Spot. The problem in technical rock gardens on the
Niner is not being "to high off the ground" but hitting your pedals and
chainring...I use a 180mm cranks and a 32 tooth front gear. As for my Niner
bike not being nimble in tight single tracks, I have not noticed any
difference, Note: I have a rigid Surly fork on the front.

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 07:52 PM
"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
eenews.net...

> "JD" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> > I routinely take out my EBB on the 1FG and regrease it. Yes, they do
>> > squeak if you do not maintain them, often. They can also seize up.
>>

>> Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
>> horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
>> *need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
>> for them.
>>
>> JD
>
> Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?
>

> Shaun aRe

I don't think you what to get to radical on 29 inch wheels, they are not as
strong as 26 inch wheels. We may never see 29 inch downhill bikes.

G.T.
October 14th 05, 08:06 PM

> I have only been on one 29 inch bike and that is my One-9 Niner. So my
> comparison is limited, what I can compare is my Niner to the dozens of 26
> inch full suspension, hardtails and single speeds. I have e-mailed a
> picture to ride-a-lot comparing the seat height of my 5-spot to my One-9.
> The bottom bracket on the Niner is low so the seat height is about three
> inches lower that the Spot.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Compare a rigid 26" wheeled bike with
the 700c bike.

Greg

Dean A. Stepper
October 14th 05, 08:35 PM
"G.T." > wrote in message

> "Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message
>>

>> I have only been on one 29 inch bike and that is my One-9 Niner. So my
>> comparison is limited, what I can compare is my Niner to the dozens of 26
>> inch full suspension, hardtails and single speeds. I have e-mailed a
>> picture to ride-a-lot comparing the seat height of my 5-spot to my One-9.
>> The bottom bracket on the Niner is low so the seat height is about three
>> inches lower that the Spot.
>
> You're comparing apples to oranges. Compare a rigid 26" wheeled bike with
> the 700c bike.
>
> Greg

The comparison was given in the context of the feeling like you were riding
up to high on a 29 inch bike. I was trying to point out that is not
necessarily the case.

little earthquakes
October 14th 05, 11:35 PM
"Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> JD wrote:
> > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > What's wrong with the Cannondale?
> >

> > You have to ask?
> >
> > JD
>
> Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?
>
> (Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)

they break.

Ride-A-Lot
October 14th 05, 11:59 PM
little earthquakes wrote:
> "Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> JD wrote:
>>>
>>> You have to ask?
>>>
>>> JD
>> Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?
>>
>> (Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)
>>
> they break.

Well, they may break but I have not had that experience yet. I paid
$325 for a 1FG with a spot hub on back, wtb on front laced to Rhynolites
(I think), Sh!tmano SS cranks, Avid mechs, EA70 post and bars, and a
rigid fork. I stuck a marz eta something or another on instead of the
rigid (I had it laying around anyway). I have to say it was one of the
best bargains I ever found. Oh, and it was delivered right to my hotel
room in San Diego by the person I bought it from (no shipping). For
that price, if it breaks then the parts are worth more than the frame
anyway. It's held up pretty good although I haven't really ridden
anything that technical on it. But, it has acquired a lot of mileage
since the purchase and is still running smooth.

Would it last another 10 years? Probably. But nothing beats that new
bike smell, and frankly I think it's time. The SS is really the only
bike I ride in my area now. So I might as well get something a little
more trail worthy and not as massed produced. Is there a bling factor?
Of course there is. Screw it. Why shouldn't it look good? But when
all is said and done, I intend to ride the crap (no relation to
crapandfail) out of it. My bikes are not garage ornaments. They don't
just hang for people to see my collection. They are there to be ridden.
In fact, they spend their non-riding time in the basement so no one
has to look at them when the garage door is open.

Now if it would just stop friggin raining (7 days straight), I can put
some more mileage down. The trails are pretty saturated here, so it
will be the road on Sunday.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

bob
October 15th 05, 01:29 AM
"JD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> G.T. wrote:
>> "Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message

>> brake
>

> The first few flights I took on Icarus were on a hardtail with
> cantilever brakes and I'd wager it's steeper, narrower and more
> elevation loss than the infamous Kamikaze in Mammoth. However, it is
> easier to ride descents with a disc up front, but nobody *needs* a disc
> rear brake, even at 225 lbs.
>
>> > Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The
>> > Hayes
>> 6
>> > inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8 inch on
>> > the
>> > front was fine.
>

> Sounds like an issue with the brake pad compound. I've turned 6"
> rotors blue hot and have not had fading issues with mechanical Avids
> and metallic compound pads.
>
>> At the time I was 205 on the bike. Since then I've gained weight, done
>> many
>> descents 4 to 5 times as long as Kamikaze, added a front fork, but still
>> managed with V-brakes.
>

> I ride my SS just about anywhere, have taken it on Icarus as well and
> have found that long descents still don't require disc brakes.
>
> JD

KUDOS to you

(PeteCresswell)
October 15th 05, 04:13 AM
Per Phil, Squid-in-Training:
>> Depends on how much you weight...I am about 225 without gear. The
>> Hayes 6 inch rear rotor suffered major fading on the way down. The 8
>> inch on the front was fine.

Similar experience at about 220#. Got an 8-incher in the front and six in the
rear.

On almost any long hill, if I try it riding the rear brake only all the way down
it will quickly fade. OTOH, if I ride the front all the way and don't touch
the rear there's no noticeable fade.

Funny thing though, until the fade kicks in, I definitely get more stopping
power per unit of finger force from the rear (Avid mech) than the front (Hope
C2).
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)
October 15th 05, 04:14 AM
Per bomba:
>> Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
>> rear?
>
>Ever ride in a UK winter?

You reminded me of the other reason I went back to a disc in the rear: the
absolutely heinous sound it makes when muddy.
--
PeteCresswell

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 15th 05, 04:44 AM
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" > wrote in message
>> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>>> Are you looking at their steel or scandium frame?
>>
>> SCAMdium. I didn't see a steel option. It's also a little too damp
>> in these parts most of the year for steel. I know it would rust on
>> me in spite of my best efforts to prevent it.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws
>
> Yes steel frame coming soon.
> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=134040

Whoa, hey gsmchemist - check out the picture here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106867&stc=1

We're making strides!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

MattB
October 15th 05, 05:12 AM
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> little earthquakes wrote:
>
>> "Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?
>>>
>>> (Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)
>>>
>> they break.
>>

> Well, they may break but I have not had that experience yet. I paid
> $325 for a 1FG with a spot hub on back, wtb on front laced to Rhynolites
> (I think), Sh!tmano SS cranks, Avid mechs, EA70 post and bars, and a
> rigid fork. I stuck a marz eta something or another on instead of the
> rigid (I had it laying around anyway). I have to say it was one of the
> best bargains I ever found. Oh, and it was delivered right to my hotel
> room in San Diego by the person I bought it from (no shipping). For
> that price, if it breaks then the parts are worth more than the frame
> anyway. It's held up pretty good although I haven't really ridden
> anything that technical on it. But, it has acquired a lot of mileage
> since the purchase and is still running smooth.
>
> Would it last another 10 years? Probably. But nothing beats that new
> bike smell, and frankly I think it's time. The SS is really the only
> bike I ride in my area now. So I might as well get something a little
> more trail worthy and not as massed produced. Is there a bling factor?
> Of course there is. Screw it. Why shouldn't it look good? But when
> all is said and done, I intend to ride the crap (no relation to
> crapandfail) out of it. My bikes are not garage ornaments. They don't
> just hang for people to see my collection. They are there to be ridden.
> In fact, they spend their non-riding time in the basement so no one has
> to look at them when the garage door is open.
>
> Now if it would just stop friggin raining (7 days straight), I can put
> some more mileage down. The trails are pretty saturated here, so it
> will be the road on Sunday.

I have an old early 90's Cannondale (the 3.0 Lbs SM800) that is now the
around town trailer hauler. Lots of offroad miles and it's not broken
yet, but my brother had a Red Shred from a couple of years before that
did eventually break.
So what's it prove? Well, pretty much nothing, but I guess some break
and some don't. You could probably say that about a lot of bikes.

Matt

JD
October 15th 05, 09:04 AM
MattB wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >>"Dean A. Stepper" > wrote in message

> >>brake

> > The first few flights I took on Icarus were on a hardtail with
> > cantilever brakes and I'd wager it's steeper, narrower and more
> > elevation loss than the infamous Kamikaze in Mammoth. However, it is
> > easier to ride descents with a disc up front, but nobody *needs* a disc
> > rear brake, even at 225 lbs.

> >>6

> > Sounds like an issue with the brake pad compound. I've turned 6"
> > rotors blue hot and have not had fading issues with mechanical Avids
> > and metallic compound pads.
> >

> >>At the time I was 205 on the bike. Since then I've gained weight, done many
> >>descents 4 to 5 times as long as Kamikaze, added a front fork, but still
> >>managed with V-brakes.
> >

> > I ride my SS just about anywhere, have taken it on Icarus as well and
> > have found that long descents still don't require disc brakes.
> >
> > JD
> >

> Yep. I'm no heavyweight, but I've done the Crest on a rigid with cantis,
> and Canyon creek with V's on a hardtail (with you IIRC).

Troot, mon. I was on a rigid Team Marin that day. What a beater
weekend that was for me, but filled with glorious riding and fantastic
food as well.

JD

little earthquakes
October 15th 05, 04:33 PM
"MattB" > wrote in message
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > little earthquakes wrote:
> >
> >> "Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

> >> they break.
> >>

> > Well, they may break but I have not had that experience yet. I paid
> > $325 for a 1FG with a spot hub on back, wtb on front laced to Rhynolites
> > (I think), Sh!tmano SS cranks, Avid mechs, EA70 post and bars, and a
> > rigid fork. I stuck a marz eta something or another on instead of the
> > rigid (I had it laying around anyway). I have to say it was one of the
> > best bargains I ever found. Oh, and it was delivered right to my hotel
> > room in San Diego by the person I bought it from (no shipping). For
> > that price, if it breaks then the parts are worth more than the frame
> > anyway. It's held up pretty good although I haven't really ridden
> > anything that technical on it. But, it has acquired a lot of mileage
> > since the purchase and is still running smooth.
> >
> > Would it last another 10 years? Probably. But nothing beats that new
> > bike smell, and frankly I think it's time. The SS is really the only
> > bike I ride in my area now. So I might as well get something a little
> > more trail worthy and not as massed produced. Is there a bling factor?
> > Of course there is. Screw it. Why shouldn't it look good? But when
> > all is said and done, I intend to ride the crap (no relation to
> > crapandfail) out of it. My bikes are not garage ornaments. They don't
> > just hang for people to see my collection. They are there to be ridden.

> > In fact, they spend their non-riding time in the basement so no one has
> > to look at them when the garage door is open.
> >
> > Now if it would just stop friggin raining (7 days straight), I can put
> > some more mileage down. The trails are pretty saturated here, so it
> > will be the road on Sunday.
> >

> I have an old early 90's Cannondale (the 3.0 Lbs SM800) that is now the
> around town trailer hauler. Lots of offroad miles and it's not broken
> yet, but my brother had a Red Shred from a couple of years before that
> did eventually break.
> So what's it prove? Well, pretty much nothing, but I guess some break
> and some don't. You could probably say that about a lot of bikes.

trek, way back made frames that did not break. i know someone with a really
old cannondale rigid, and that thing is solid. it has some really strange
looking dropouts.

MattB
October 15th 05, 07:32 PM
little earthquakes wrote:
> "MattB" > wrote in message
>
>>Ride-A-Lot wrote:

ups.com...

>>>Well, they may break but I have not had that experience yet. I paid
>>>$325 for a 1FG with a spot hub on back, wtb on front laced to Rhynolites
>>>(I think), Sh!tmano SS cranks, Avid mechs, EA70 post and bars, and a
>>>rigid fork. I stuck a marz eta something or another on instead of the
>>>rigid (I had it laying around anyway). I have to say it was one of the
>>>best bargains I ever found. Oh, and it was delivered right to my hotel
>>>room in San Diego by the person I bought it from (no shipping). For
>>>that price, if it breaks then the parts are worth more than the frame
>>>anyway. It's held up pretty good although I haven't really ridden
>>>anything that technical on it. But, it has acquired a lot of mileage
>>>since the purchase and is still running smooth.
>>>
>>>Would it last another 10 years? Probably. But nothing beats that new
>>>bike smell, and frankly I think it's time. The SS is really the only
>>>bike I ride in my area now. So I might as well get something a little
>>>more trail worthy and not as massed produced. Is there a bling factor?
>>> Of course there is. Screw it. Why shouldn't it look good? But when
>>>all is said and done, I intend to ride the crap (no relation to
>>>crapandfail) out of it. My bikes are not garage ornaments. They don't
>>>just hang for people to see my collection. They are there to be ridden.
>

>>> In fact, they spend their non-riding time in the basement so no one has
>>>to look at them when the garage door is open.
>>>
>>>Now if it would just stop friggin raining (7 days straight), I can put
>>>some more mileage down. The trails are pretty saturated here, so it
>>>will be the road on Sunday.
>>>

>>I have an old early 90's Cannondale (the 3.0 Lbs SM800) that is now the
>>around town trailer hauler. Lots of offroad miles and it's not broken
>>yet, but my brother had a Red Shred from a couple of years before that
>>did eventually break.
>>So what's it prove? Well, pretty much nothing, but I guess some break
>>and some don't. You could probably say that about a lot of bikes.
>>

> trek, way back made frames that did not break. i know someone with a really
> old cannondale rigid, and that thing is solid. it has some really strange
> looking dropouts.

Sounds like mine. They stick out off the back of the frame.

Matt

little earthquakes
October 16th 05, 12:53 AM
"MattB" > wrote in message
> little earthquakes wrote:

> ups.com...

Rhynolites

> >>I have an old early 90's Cannondale (the 3.0 Lbs SM800) that is now the
> >>around town trailer hauler. Lots of offroad miles and it's not broken
> >>yet, but my brother had a Red Shred from a couple of years before that
> >>did eventually break.
> >>So what's it prove? Well, pretty much nothing, but I guess some break
> >>and some don't. You could probably say that about a lot of bikes.
> >>

> > trek, way back made frames that did not break. i know someone with a
really
> > old cannondale rigid, and that thing is solid. it has some really
strange
> > looking dropouts.
> >

> Sounds like mine. They stick out off the back of the frame.

that's the one.

Dave W
October 18th 05, 02:02 AM
"little earthquakes" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> JD wrote:
>> >

>> > You have to ask?
>> >
>> > JD
>>
>> Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?
>>
>> (Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)
>>
> they break.

all bikes break. period.

Shaun aRe
October 18th 05, 02:36 PM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:32:24 +0100, Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> >> Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
> >> horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
> >> *need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
> >> for them.
> >>
> >> JD
> >
> > Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?
>
> And skids!

That's what that downy chamois padding is for.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe
October 18th 05, 02:37 PM

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "JD" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> >> Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
> >> horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
> >> *need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
> >> for them.
> >>
> >> JD
> >
> > Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> I don't think you what to get to radical on 29 inch wheels, they are not
as
> strong as 26 inch wheels. We may never see 29 inch downhill bikes.

29'ers seem to be better for Usenet stunts though ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe
October 18th 05, 02:42 PM
"bomba" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:21:14 -0400, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>
> > Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
> > rear?
>
> Ever ride in a UK winter?

Indeed. Seen a rim's braking surface when used with V's, after just one UK
winter? That was god enough reason for me - blown through 2 just that way.

Shaun aRe

little earthquakes
October 19th 05, 12:10 AM
"Dave W" > wrote in message

> "little earthquakes" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> >> Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?
> >>
> >> (Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)
> >>
> > they break.
> >

> all bikes break. period.

some, more than others.

i sure would hate to replace my frame every year, like the trek owners do,
just because they 'actually' ride them.

MattB
October 19th 05, 03:57 AM
little earthquakes wrote:
> "Dave W" > wrote in message
>
>>"little earthquakes" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>"Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>>>they break.
>>>

>>all bikes break. period.
>>

> some, more than others.
>
> i sure would hate to replace my frame every year, like the trek owners do,
> just because they 'actually' ride them.

That implies they all break the first year. I don't think it's even
almost true.
I know several Trek owners who really ride and none have broken frames.

Not saying they don't break, but they definitely don't ALL break.

Matt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home