PDA

View Full Version : Mix and Matching Brakes

Sam
October 15th 05, 05:27 PM
Has anyone mixed braking systems front and back. I imagine there
shouldnt be a problem, but wandered if anyone has tried. I currently
have 3 year old Avid mechanical brakes on my hard tail (165 rotor),
and was thinking to change the front brake only to Hope Mono mini (180
rotor) which I have spare.
Any thoughts / experiences?

Thanks, Sam

Rob
October 15th 05, 06:44 PM
When grilled further on (15 Oct 2005 09:27:19 -0700),
"Sam" > confessed:

> Has anyone mixed braking systems front and back. I imagine there
> shouldnt be a problem, but wandered if anyone has tried. I currently
> have 3 year old Avid mechanical brakes on my hard tail (165 rotor),
> and was thinking to change the front brake only to Hope Mono mini (180
> rotor) which I have spare.
> Any thoughts / experiences?

I have Avid 8" mechanical on the front and Hayes 6" hydraulic on my Level Betty.
Works just fine. I notice the difference sitting in the garage (level pull
force), but not on the trail.

Cheers,
Rob

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 15th 05, 11:45 PM
Sam wrote:
> Has anyone mixed braking systems front and back. I imagine there
> shouldnt be a problem, but wandered if anyone has tried. I currently
> have 3 year old Avid mechanical brakes on my hard tail (165 rotor),
> and was thinking to change the front brake only to Hope Mono mini (180
> rotor) which I have spare.
> Any thoughts / experiences?
>
> Thanks, Sam

Your gravity constant changes. [1] Usually it's the product of the masses
divided by the square of their distances apart, but in this case, the
gravity changes not in powers of two but in powers of 16. This means that
when you're braking, the forces involved that shift the balance of the bike
also shift your center of gravity. In powers of 16, your brakes won't
balance correctly, and may cause skidding and endoing.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[1] Wow, that was an unintended oxymoron.

(PeteCresswell)
October 16th 05, 04:50 AM
Per Sam:
>Has anyone mixed braking systems front and back. I imagine there
>shouldnt be a problem, but wandered if anyone has tried. I currently
>have 3 year old Avid mechanical brakes on my hard tail (165 rotor),
>and was thinking to change the front brake only to Hope Mono mini (180
>rotor) which I have spare.
>Any thoughts / experiences?
>
>Thanks, Sam

I've had a 160mm Avid 160 mech on the back, 185mm Hope C2 on the front for a
couple years now - on both bikes (HT and FS). No problems.
--
PeteCresswell

Coyoteboy
October 17th 05, 10:58 AM
I have a Hope M4 185 up front and a Hope Mini rear 165 at the back but
i have used magura louise's in place of the rear with little
difference. Certainly no reason not to if you like the way they work.

Sam wrote:
> Has anyone mixed braking systems front and back. I imagine there
> shouldnt be a problem, but wandered if anyone has tried. I currently
> have 3 year old Avid mechanical brakes on my hard tail (165 rotor),
> and was thinking to change the front brake only to Hope Mono mini (180
> rotor) which I have spare.
> Any thoughts / experiences?
>
> Thanks, Sam

Sam
October 17th 05, 01:44 PM
Thanks to all above posters for your comments

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home