CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist: (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=245154)

Joy Beeson September 26th 16 02:12 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:03:15 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

I don't do "do-rags."

As far as I know, I'm the only bikie to wear one. My ears ache if I
allow wind to blow on them, and a white linen do-rag is the easiest
way to cover them without undue insulation.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

John B.[_6_] September 26th 16 06:16 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

I don't do "do-rags."

As far as I know, I'm the only bikie to wear one. My ears ache if I
allow wind to blow on them, and a white linen do-rag is the easiest
way to cover them without undue insulation.

Not really. I've used one for several years now :-)

After many years of working in tropical sun I have considerable sun
damage to my skin in various areas and the do-rags my wife makes for
me are big enough to cover the tops of my ears and have a flap to
cover the back of my neck.

What might be called arm-wormers but are actually sun-sleeves are
almost universally worn as soon as the sun gets up in the sky.

Women cyclists go even further. they wear ankle length tights, long
sleeved jerseys and a head cover that is essentially a "balaclava"
made from a stretchy colorful fabric.

As in other Asian countries black is not beautiful :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson September 27th 16 02:41 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:16:52 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Women cyclists go even further. they wear ankle length tights, long
sleeved jerseys and a head cover that is essentially a "balaclava"
made from a stretchy colorful fabric.

All my ankle-length tights are winter wear, but I'm about to change
from my long-sleeved summer jersey to my short-sleeved fall jersey.

Just DuckDucked: there *is* a hijab store in Fort Wayne, quite close
to the big malls. If I ever figure out how to get to Fort Wayne, I'll
have to look into it.

Joy Beeson September 29th 16 02:33 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

Just today I was admiring the brilliant yellow silkiness of the
windbreaker that has been hanging on a hook in the garage all summer.
Alas, it won't be long before I have to start carrying it everywhere.

John B.[_6_] September 29th 16 08:41 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:33:37 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 29th 16 03:28 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 29th 16 03:29 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

.... and no, we did not carry rain gear. :-(

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson September 30th 16 12:28 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 06:57:01 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

I usually look west.

--
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

John B.[_6_] September 30th 16 02:24 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

I usually look west.

That doesn't work well early in the morning :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 30th 16 04:12 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

If it were that easy, we wouldn't have weather forecasters.

I once bought a pretty little book, _Instant Weather Forecasting_ by
Alan Watts. It features lots of basic explanation of weather phenomena,
followed by a couple dozen photos of different cloud types. Each photo
has an explanation of what would cause that cloud type, and what weather
could be expected. BTW, I first came across the book in the 1970s, and
figured the knowledge would be very useful on long bike tours.

In practice, when I started doing long bike tours, I found it far easier
to check the newspapers; then later, the Weather Channel; and nowadays,
my smart phone app.

Not that any of them have been perfectly accurate, of course!

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_6_] September 30th 16 07:48 AM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

[...]

I probably have the advantage of living in a place with two very
distinct seasons, one when it rains and one when it doesn't, although
it does rain infrequently during the dry season and the sun does shine
some days in the rainy season, but still I can fairly well tell
whether it is going to rain during my morning ride or not. At least
well enough to rationalize by saying, "Well, I'm usually right" :-)

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson September 30th 16 02:38 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 20:28:13 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I usually look west.

Double-take this morning: I checked the radar and just had time to
think "the rain has almost blown over" before I noticed that the
animation was moving right to left. The rain had just begun.

Just checked the full-resolution mosaic loop. Man, that's one big
cyclone! The center of rotation is in western Kentucky, and there's a
blob in the Atlantic headed for Maine. My screen isn't big enough for
me to get a clear idea of what is going on out west. Duh! Click on
the full-width version. No wonder I couldn't tell: there aren't
enough clouds out that way to tell which way the wind is moving.
Things are really soggy on the Gulf coast from the Mexican border to
Florida. Probably goes further south, but this map doesn't get data
from Mexico.

Our weather usually comes from Chicago, coming straight down US Route
30.

US Routes were before the Interstate, and were merely routes marked
along pre-existing roads. Of course, marking them increased the
traffic and today many are built up to Interstate standards. At least
US 30 between Chicago and Fort Wayne is, except for the "controlled
access" aka "Chinese Wall" aspect.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

Joy Beeson September 30th 16 02:57 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:48:00 +0700, John B.
wrote:

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)

I wonder what became of my rain cape? I last remember seeing it
hanging in the entry hall of our previous house, sticking to the hook
because the waterproofing was rotten.

I wore it only once, for about five seconds. I had it in my pannier,
it started to rain, I stopped and put it on, attempted to look back
before starting off, and took it off again.

My current plan for dealing with rain is "get wet". I'm thinking I
should inspect all my summer jerseys and retrofit them, where
necessary, with pockets that will safely hold my glasses.

I should also put a spectacle-cleaning rag into a snack bag and stash
it in my emergency kit. Last time I got caught in a downpour, the one
in my back pocket got soggy. On the other hand, a plastic bag would
wear into leaks before the next emergency.

My plan for winter rain is "stay home" or if that fails, "call a taxi
before a passer-by calls an ambulance". I do have a windbreaker that
will shed rain if worn over a wool jersey.

And, groan, I'm going to start carrying it everywhere real soon.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 30th 16 05:19 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

wrote:

[...]

Related: Our club's ride this morning was canceled because of the rainy
forecast. I slept in as a result. So it's been perfectly dry all
morning. :-/

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] September 30th 16 05:50 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:58:26 AM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:48:00 +0700, John B. wrote:

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)

I wonder what became of my rain cape? I last remember seeing it
hanging in the entry hall of our previous house, sticking to the hook
because the waterproofing was rotten.

My father used to ride with a rain cape while commuting to work. I tried it and found I got just as wet under it as in the rain, but I was riding nearly half again as fast as he would.

I wore it only once, for about five seconds. I had it in my pannier,
it started to rain, I stopped and put it on, attempted to look back
before starting off, and took it off again.

My current plan for dealing with rain is "get wet".

That is almost a direct quote from a parade instruction in the Canadian army.

I'm thinking I
should inspect all my summer jerseys and retrofit them, where
necessary, with pockets that will safely hold my glasses.

I wear road jerseys, and they all have pockets suitable for glasses, but generally I put them in a glasses case in my pack. (I am far-sighted and can both drive and cycle safely without corrective lenses, but I like to wear wrap-around sports glasses to keep the wind out of my eyes so they water less.)

I should also put a spectacle-cleaning rag into a snack bag and stash
it in my emergency kit. Last time I got caught in a downpour, the one
in my back pocket got soggy. On the other hand, a plastic bag would
wear into leaks before the next emergency.

My plan for winter rain is "stay home" or if that fails, "call a taxi
before a passer-by calls an ambulance". I do have a windbreaker that
will shed rain if worn over a wool jersey.

And, groan, I'm going to start carrying it everywhere real soon.

I feel your pain, Sister. Autumn in Eastern Ontario tends to be damp and cool, degenerating to icy and cold. I will mount my dirt board and start carrying my wet weather gear at all times by the middle of October. For now, I find that the forecast radar picture I see on the weather network allow me reasonably determine whether or not I will need the gear.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Joy Beeson October 2nd 16 03:50 AM

AG: Gloom, drip, and thunderstorms on me

I spent my writing time finalizing the September Beeson Banner, so
there's no post.

The whole week was rained out, so I don't even have a ride report.

I did walk a little more than a mile on Thursday, and climb a steep
hill. I plan to take pretty much the same walk tomorrow, climb a
flight of stairs, and approximate a few pushups.

I wonder how many people in the world do pushups only when wearing an
ankle-length dress.

In last week's post, I said "buffer" where I should have said "drafts
folder". Half-baked embryonic posts don't buffer anything.

I calculate that if I come back from the dump tour by way of Wooster
and Sprawlmart, it will be twenty-two miles. I plan to do that next
Tuesday. (I dump plastic bags at Owen's, old magazines at the
emergency room, and unwanted whatevers at Goodwill, then have lunch at
Panda Express. This trip I mean to go to The Pillbox before stopping
at the hospital, and price heavy-duty walkers. My light-duty walker
no longer does the job.)

Yay! This year I heard about the fall nature hike *before* it
happened! After reading the press release, I went to Facebook and
"Like"d The Center for Lakes and Streams' "event", in the hope that
the spring hike will show up on my newsfeed. But Facebook's newsfeed
is somewhere between flaky and malevolent, so I'm not counting on it.

The press release said the event will be cancelled in case of
inclement weather, but Weather Underground says that Saturday will be
suitable for taking city folks for a stroll in the woods. Of course,
that is subject to change. Modern forecasting is pretty good on the
sequence of events for the coming week, but often a bit off on the
timing -- and rain is predicted for the previous day.

"Thunderstorms" in the subject line is a gross exaggeration. We've
had some thunder, and we've had some pouring rain, but there hasn't
been enough wind to take a limb off the willow. Did have a breeze
stiff enough to make me refrain from hanging out the rest of the
laundry after I managed to pin a king-size sheet to the line, but no
thunder or rain on that day.

Joy Beeson October 9th 16 02:55 AM

AG: The quickest way to go fast

Sometimes when you're ambling along pedalling slowly and admiring the
scenery, you suddenly want to go as fast as you can, perhaps to catch
up with someone, perhaps just because you feel like it.

The fastest way to get into high gear starts with shifting *down*.

Shift down until you are spinning just a little faster than you
prefer, then shift up one notch and work hard until you are spinning
as fast as you were in the lower gear, repeat until you reach the
desired speed.

Joy Beeson October 12th 16 05:16 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

Picking up pills again. I think this time it will stick.

Dressing, I selected a long-sleeved T-ahirt to wear under my jersey,
picked up my "taxicab" (merchant's name for the color) jersey. Hmm
.. . . this is sleazy-thin and I don't like the way the wrists puff.
And it looks as though I washed it after the last time I wore it. I
moved it from current shirts to the section marked "summer" and put on
my double-knit spring/autumn jersey. (I derive much amusement from
changing from long summer sleeves to above-the-elbow sleeves when the
weather turns cool.

Thumb-tested my tires -- the back one is

Joy Beeson October 12th 16 05:19 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

Disregard previous message. And why did it send when I hit the shift
key?

Joy Beeson October 12th 16 05:54 PM

AG: Seasons changing?

Picking up pills again. I think this time it will stick.

Dressing, I selected a long-sleeved T-shirt to wear under my jersey,
picked up my "taxicab"-color linen jersey. Hmm . . . this is
sleazy-thin and I don't like the way the wrists puff. And it looks as
though I washed it after the last time I wore it. I moved it from
current shirts to the section marked "summer", and put on my
double-knit spring/autumn jersey. (I derive much amusement from
changing from long summer sleeves to above-the-elbow sleeves when the
weather turns cool.

Thumb-tested my tires -- the back one is NOT flatter than a flitter.
(See "Tour d'Nothing Went Right" on my Web site.) Changed the water
in the bottles, reached for my do-rag, reflected that something
wrapped around my neck wouldn't be at all amiss, and took the do-rag
inside and threw it into the hamper. I think it will make it into the
drawer next Monday!

On the other hand, the Tuesday after next is predicted to have a high
of 76F, and to be the only dry day in a long rainy spell.

Joy Beeson October 16th 16 02:12 AM

AG: Halt!

Halt is a topic I'd nearly forgotten about; soon after we moved, I
mislaid my Halt and never got around to buying another can of dog
repellent. Unlike Upstaters, Hoosiers love their dogs too much to
train them to chase vehicles.

I think the difference is that in the Capital District, the majority
of the houses in the countryside were occupied by city folk who moved
into the country to be free of tiresome restraints (and are shocked to
learn that they are not allowed to store their cars in the public
roadway). Around here, people fleeing the city cluster around our
many lakes and leave the farmland to farmers.

Halt is not a weapon. It works by distracting the dog's attention.

Most of the time, distracting his attention is quite enough. He's
lying around feeling bored out of his skull when he sees something
moving on the road. All Right! Chasing that will give him a chance
to burn the carbon out of his carburetor. Ouch! This isn't any fun
at all; I'll just roll around in the ditch and whimper for a while.

If you manage to get him before he's had any fun, he may decide that
chasing vehicles isn't something he wants to do -- or, at least, that
chasing *your* vehicle isn't any fun.

Way back when, I was riding to Altamont along the base of the Eastern
Cliffs of the Helderbergs. I saw two dogs come bellowing down a long,
steep driveway on the Helderberg side of the road.

They caught up with me, got sprayed, dropped back, and I went on my
way.

On my return trip, I saw the same two dogs come bellowing down the
same long driveway. When nearly to the bottom, they slammed on the
four-paw brakes, turned around, and ran back up the driveway.

I don't recall ever seeing those dogs again.

On the other hand, there was a dog who lived in a dip in a road that I
used fairly often. He'd had a little fun before he got sprayed, and
came to regard Halt-bearing cyclists the way Hillary regarded Mount
Everest. How long can he dodge the Halt? How much grief can he cause
before the game ends? He was quick to see that forcing one to brake
just before climbing a long steep hill was *really* aggravating, and
could be done without coming into range.

For a dog that's been trained in hand-to-fang combat, or a bitch who
thinks you are after her pups, Halt is no use at all. I once saw a
dog who had been sprayed so many times that her eyes were swollen
shut, and she was still out in the road feeling around for someone to
bite.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] October 17th 16 02:30 AM

AG: Halt!

On 10/15/2016 9:12 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

Having lived backwoods in a semi-civilized southern state, I had tons of
unwanted experience being chased by loose dogs. I now live in a state
where dogs are a very, very rare problem.

Nonetheless, I don't recall finding a dog I couldn't train. Down south,
I used rocks with Halt as a backup. Up here, Halt alone has almost
always been sufficient.

The key, I think, is repeated lessons. If a dog comes out to chase me
(now a rare event), I'll spray it. Then I'll turn around and ride past
it again to give another dose if needed. And I'll come back another
day, and repeat as necessary.

They all seem to learn eventually.

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] October 17th 16 10:18 PM

AG: Halt!

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 9:30:29 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

With what do you spray it? Your water bottle?

Frank Krygowski[_4_] October 18th 16 01:46 AM

AG: Halt!

On 10/17/2016 5:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

As I said, I use "Halt" dog repellent.

For those not familiar, it's a pepper compound sold in a metal spray
can, perhaps 30mm x 100mm, with a clip handy for hooking it over the
edge of a bike bag or a jersey pocket. It comes out in a yellow,
slightly viscous stream with a range of perhaps 2 or 3 meters. It's
standard issue for mail carriers in the U.S. It burns the dog's nose
and eyes.

As my daughter can attest, on a windy day it must be directed carefully
or it can also burn the nose and eyes of a stoker on a tandem.
(Disclaimer: My wife was riding captain's position, not me!)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson October 18th 16 02:40 AM

AG: Halt!

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:18:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

With what do you spray it? Your water bottle?

That can work, actually. If you have no Halt and you think a dog may
attack, fill your mouth with water. If the dog does attack, spit in
his face. The odds are that this has never happened to him before,
and he will sit down to think it over.

Joy Beeson October 18th 16 03:03 AM

AG: Halt!

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 21:30:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

The key, I think, is repeated lessons.

When I lived in The Capital District of New York, Martin Road, Picard
Road, and New Salem Road formed a triangle that would have been quite
nice to ride around, were it not for a dog that lived in a dip on
Picard Road.

When I got my first can of Halt, I went dog hunting. I came down the
hill at high speed, the dog ran out to attack, I sprayed and missed
but got past him and climbed the other hill. So I turned around and
repeated the whole sequence. The third time I passed, he didn't get
close enough that I could take a shot. I kept riding back and forth
through the dip, he kept attacking with less and less fervor. When I
passed by and he feebly lifted his head off his front paws and emitted
a dutiful "woof", I went home.

I never had any more trouble with that dog. I'd never sprayed him,
but he'd learned that chasing me was really, really *boring*.

NFN Smith[_2_] October 20th 16 07:47 PM

AG: Halt!

Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:18:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

With what do you spray it? Your water bottle?

That can work, actually. If you have no Halt and you think a dog may
attack, fill your mouth with water. If the dog does attack, spit in
his face. The odds are that this has never happened to him before,
and he will sit down to think it over.

Even a water bottle will do.

I learned that trick many years ago in the old rec.bicycles newsgroup
(before it was re-organized into the sub-groups we have now). For many
dogs, a blast of water is unexpected, and the relative chill (even from
a warm bottle) is often enough to jar them just enough.

I've never had to use that on my bike, but not too long after I learned
that I had problems with a neighbor with an untrained dog, an overgrown
puppy. I got really annoyed when the dog would bark at me when I would
walk through my back yard. One time, I went after the dog with the
garden hose, and that really got the dog's attention.

After that, if the dog even slightly growled at me, when I would make a
move for the faucet, the dog would quickly retreat, with tail between legs.

I considered my back yard to be mine, and when I established that with
the dog, I never had further problems.

One consideration for using water over some sort of chemical is that if
you inflict pain on the animal, that may cause the animal to remember
you as the source of that, and become more aggressive, in the future.
The water has the advantage of simply being unexpected, and a moment of
cold discomfort.

Smith

Joy Beeson October 23rd 16 03:22 AM

AG: One Way

I usually take the Beyer Farm Trail home from downtown --it's scenic
and puts in a little extra distance-- but last Saturday I wanted to
stop at Zale's, so I stayed on Fort Wayne Street.

I caught myself drifting too far to the right, then thought that
because Fort Wayne is a one-way street that's wide enough to divide
into three lanes, it would be safe to ride in the "please pass me"
position.

!! NOT AT INTERSECTIONS IT AIN'T !!

Luckily, the driver who wanted to turn right was smarter than I was,
and no reportable incident occurred.

John B.[_6_] October 23rd 16 07:07 AM

AG: One Way

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 23:22:14 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I usually take the Beyer Farm Trail home from downtown --it's scenic
and puts in a little extra distance-- but last Saturday I wanted to
stop at Zale's, so I stayed on Fort Wayne Street.

I caught myself drifting too far to the right, then thought that
because Fort Wayne is a one-way street that's wide enough to divide
into three lanes, it would be safe to ride in the "please pass me"
position.

!! NOT AT INTERSECTIONS IT AIN'T !!

Luckily, the driver who wanted to turn right was smarter than I was,
and no reportable incident occurred.

Satchel Page once said, "Don't look back. Something might be gaining
on you", but I don't think he rode a bicycle. My philosophy has always
been, "look back to see what is gaining on you.... so you can avoid
it" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Andrew Chaplin October 23rd 16 03:23 PM

AG: One Way

John B. wrote in
:

wrote:

I usually take the Beyer Farm Trail home from downtown --it's scenic
and puts in a little extra distance-- but last Saturday I wanted to
stop at Zale's, so I stayed on Fort Wayne Street.

I caught myself drifting too far to the right, then thought that
because Fort Wayne is a one-way street that's wide enough to divide
into three lanes, it would be safe to ride in the "please pass me"
position.

!! NOT AT INTERSECTIONS IT AIN'T !!

Luckily, the driver who wanted to turn right was smarter than I was,
and no reportable incident occurred.

Satchel Page once said, "Don't look back. Something might be gaining
on you", but I don't think he rode a bicycle. My philosophy has always
been, "look back to see what is gaining on you.... so you can avoid
it" :-)

They've got mirrors for that. ;)

John B.[_6_] October 24th 16 01:33 AM

AG: One Way

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:23:22 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

John B. wrote in
:

wrote:

I usually take the Beyer Farm Trail home from downtown --it's scenic
and puts in a little extra distance-- but last Saturday I wanted to
stop at Zale's, so I stayed on Fort Wayne Street.

I caught myself drifting too far to the right, then thought that
because Fort Wayne is a one-way street that's wide enough to divide
into three lanes, it would be safe to ride in the "please pass me"
position.

!! NOT AT INTERSECTIONS IT AIN'T !!

Luckily, the driver who wanted to turn right was smarter than I was,
and no reportable incident occurred.

Satchel Page once said, "Don't look back. Something might be gaining
on you", but I don't think he rode a bicycle. My philosophy has always
been, "look back to see what is gaining on you.... so you can avoid
it" :-)

They've got mirrors for that. ;)

Yes they do. But why? After all one has to go out and buy a mirror.
Than one has to mount the mirror; bar end, helmet, clip on. Then the
mirror has to be correctly adjusted.

Or one can simply turn one's head a bit :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson October 30th 16 02:19 AM

AG: Riding on the verge

Always leave yourself room to dodge to the right (or left on the other
side of the pond) -- but there *are* times when you want to ride as
far to the right as possible, so how far to the right *is* possible?

It's fairly obvious that you need to inspect the roadway ahead, and
have faith that it won't narrow suddenly, break up at the edge, be
covered with sharp debris, have potholes or deliberate holes or sunken
or raised drains and so forth, but you also have to be constantly
aware of what you'll land on if you fall off the pavement.

Is it good, firmly-packed gravel you could ride slowly on until you
come to a place where you can get back on the road? Is it, at least
firm enough that you can stay upright long enough to brake to a safe
stop?

Is it loose gravel that would guarantee a crash? If so, how wide is
it and what's on the other side? On can steer across loose gravel if
there's a firm, safe surface wide enough to catch a semi-controlled
bike on the other side -- and if it's narrow enough that your wheel
will be back on a firm surface before the gravel can steer the bike
out from under you.

Is your worst worry that you'll leave tire tracks on someone's nice
lawn? If so, will the lawn end before the situation you are riding on
the verge for ends? The *last* thing you want is a sudden need to
move *left*!

If you fall off the road, will you roll down a 100% slope held in
place by head-size rocks, with a barbed-wire fence at the bottom?

A curb at the edge of the road should be given at least half a meter
of respect, a full yard if you haven't had a *lot* of experience and
some training. If you touch a curb, you go down. No matter how good
your bike handling is, a ridge that is almost parallel to your path
will steer the bike out from under you -- and there's no guarantee
that you'll fall *away* from the traffic.

(When I touched a curb, I fell into the road, but by pure luck
*behind* the left-turning truck I was dodging. Purtnear had three
hear attacks, though: me, the driver, and a witness.)

Is that nice wide dirt shoulder really a dirt shoulder, or is it a
field of potholes hidden under loose sand?

NFN Smith[_2_] October 31st 16 11:33 PM

AG: Riding on the verge

Joy Beeson wrote:

Always leave yourself room to dodge to the right (or left on the other
side of the pond) -- but there *are* times when you want to ride as
far to the right as possible, so how far to the right *is* possible?

This is part of why I get so annoyed at riders who ride against traffic.
If you're riding that way, then if there's obstruction in front of you,
there's often *no* escape route. If riding on a road with a curb, that's
usually enough to prevent you from getting to the sidewalk, and the only
other option is to move directly into traffic that's coming the opposite
way.

It's fairly obvious that you need to inspect the roadway ahead, and
have faith that it won't narrow suddenly, break up at the edge, be
covered with sharp debris, have potholes or deliberate holes or sunken
or raised drains and so forth, but you also have to be constantly
aware of what you'll land on if you fall off the pavement.

Yep. "As far to the right as possible" is a good guideline, but for
motorists that don't ride, often aren't aware of what kinds of hazards
lurk at the side (and away from where car tires normally go). The most
common is sand and gravel and glass, pushed by normal vehicle activity,
but there's a lot of other stuff as well. Rough pavement (including
bumps caused by heat buckling and tree roots) are there, stuff that's
more likely to be mashed down by the weight of cars, in the path of
normal motor traffic. And motorists generally have no clue about just
how evil drains are.

Another dynamic is the difference between paved and soft shoulder. Some
of the places I ride have gravel shoulders where there might be an inch
or two of pavement outside the fog line, and places where sand/gravel
overlaps the fog line, because the road isn't frequently swept. Rumble
strips and raised reflectors also add interesting challenges. One place
I ride has is improved one side of the road (in front of a subdivision,
where the developer did all the necessary improvements -- two lanes of
traffic, space in the middle for an eventual left turn lane, curbs and
even a bike line), but on the unimproved side, it's a single lane, a
soft gravel shoulder, and beyond the shoulder, a concrete irrigation
ditch (normally dry) that's fairly substantial. If you go off the road
there, you'll end up at bottom of the ditch.

A further challenge for a road like that is gravel driveways that are
perpendicular to the road -- for a lot of the driveways, exiting traffic
manages to push gravel from the drive out a foot or two into the road,
where it's necessary to swerve toward the center of the road to avoid
the gravel.

I also have occasional problems with sloppy landscaping -- trees or
bushes that aren't trimmed and overlap the bike lane. Yet another place
to move left, at least temporarily, to avoid a hazard.

[ ...]

If you fall off the road, will you roll down a 100% slope held in
place by head-size rocks, with a barbed-wire fence at the bottom?

Tumble-and-roll technique is something I've never tried to learn. And
there's a difference how you do it, depending if you have old-style toe
clips and straps (and how tightly you have the straps pulled, especially
if you have cleats underneath), and more modern clipless pedals.

A curb at the edge of the road should be given at least half a meter
of respect, a full yard if you haven't had a *lot* of experience and
some training. If you touch a curb, you go down. No matter how good
your bike handling is, a ridge that is almost parallel to your path
will steer the bike out from under you -- and there's no guarantee
that you'll fall *away* from the traffic.

See above.

As noted, there's a difference between the motorist's and cyclist's
perceptions of "as far to the right as practical", because there's too
many hazards that are real dangers to a cyclist that most motorists have
never considered.

Smith

Joy Beeson November 6th 16 02:48 AM

AG: Aerobraking

Got a long steep downhill and you don't want to ride the brakes? Sit
up straight and spread yourself out, and everyone on the drops will
shoot ahead.

Joy Beeson November 7th 16 02:50 AM

AG: Auto Cars

I happened to walk through the living room during an enthusiastic
description of an autonomous car, and overheard the line "It's best on
a crowded road or straight-line driving on a deserted road."

Exactly what one would expect: if you can't have the road all to
yourself, the next-best thing is a road so crowded that nobody can do
anything you don't expect.

In terms of safety, that is. I don't *like* constant noise. But
Center Street is more relaxing than energetically communicating with
every car that overtakes me on Pierceton Road.

But for a pleasant ride, I'll take Crystal Lake. Next Wednesday, I
plan to ride CR N 175 E. Pity I have to go through Sprawlmart to get
to it.

Or I could take Old 15, but getting to *that* involves a stretch of SR
15.

John B Slocomb November 7th 16 11:22 AM

AG: Auto Cars

On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 22:50:23 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I happened to walk through the living room during an enthusiastic
description of an autonomous car, and overheard the line "It's best on
a crowded road or straight-line driving on a deserted road."

Exactly what one would expect: if you can't have the road all to
yourself, the next-best thing is a road so crowded that nobody can do
anything you don't expect.

In terms of safety, that is. I don't *like* constant noise. But
Center Street is more relaxing than energetically communicating with
every car that overtakes me on Pierceton Road.

But for a pleasant ride, I'll take Crystal Lake. Next Wednesday, I
plan to ride CR N 175 E. Pity I have to go through Sprawlmart to get
to it.

Or I could take Old 15, but getting to *that* involves a stretch of SR
15.

There was an article in the news last week. Singapore has been testing
the self driven autos for some time and it was reported that one of
the test vehicles had hit a taxi. No details.

Joy Beeson November 13th 16 03:24 AM

AG: Changing seasons

I dug out a thicker pair of sweat pants and wore my windbreaker today,
but I'm still wearing the thinner pair of gloves and my
cotton-and-linen scarf. It's thicker and fuzzier than the cotton
scarf and the linen scarves, but I've yet to break out the silk and
the wool.

I haven't completely broken the habit of drying my hands on my clothes
-- a damp jersey isn't as desirable as it was in August. I *have*
acquired the habit of making sure I have plenty of paper napkins and
paper towels to blow my nose on.

I was gratified that the hills on 350 S aren't as steep as I
remembered them. Perhaps I haven't been neglecting exercise as much
as I thought.

[email protected] November 14th 16 11:12 PM

AG: Changing seasons

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 8:25:04 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
I dug out a thicker pair of sweat pants and wore my windbreaker today,
but I'm still wearing the thinner pair of gloves and my
cotton-and-linen scarf. It's thicker and fuzzier than the cotton
scarf and the linen scarves, but I've yet to break out the silk and
the wool.

I haven't completely broken the habit of drying my hands on my clothes
-- a damp jersey isn't as desirable as it was in August. I *have*
acquired the habit of making sure I have plenty of paper napkins and
paper towels to blow my nose on.

I was gratified that the hills on 350 S aren't as steep as I
remembered them. Perhaps I haven't been neglecting exercise as much
as I thought.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

The problem is that even in very cold weather you sweat like a horse when climbing. And then you cover your glasses completely over with sweat and it gets in your eyes and burns like the devil.

I went up a 16% grade yesterday because there was a rest stop at the top. That allowed me to wash everything off. Then on the coast downhill at 10% I was fast enough to stay ahead of the traffic and with bright colors on the side traffic couldn't make out what I was.

Then it got hot and I had the worst of all possible worlds.

Joy Beeson November 19th 16 12:07 AM

AG: I did it again.

It would seem that riding too far right is a habit that can never be
completely conquered.

This incident was weeks ago, but I'm just now getting around to
writing it up.

I was riding west on Arthur Street, approaching the intersection with
Park. When I got close to the intersection, I moved right because I
intended to turn right when I got there. It did not enter my muddled
head that the car behind me might also intend to turn right.

Having been invited to do so, he overtook me and swerved to the right.
By great good fortune he had one of those blinky things on his front
fender, and I was still several feet from the intersection, so
ordinary braking avoided the collision.

I wonder what the blinky things are for? They are life-savers for
cyclists, but it's received wisdom that one protects bike riders by
forbidding them to ride bikes, not by giving them information.

From a report of a recent Traffic Commission discussion of whether to
recommend an ordinance to allow golf carts in Warsaw:

quote

Shuter agreed with Beam, adding, “I’ve been sitting on this board for
25 years, and in all reality I think this is a step backwards for the
city. We do not allow any other off-road vehicles on city streets that
you don't have to register through the BMV like ATVs and things like
that. I don’t think it’s safe – 250 to 300 pound vehicle versus a
4,000 pound vehicle. I’ve focused my entire career on safety.”
He said golf carts on city streets don’t belong in a city the size of
Warsaw, a class 3 city.

Klondaris argued that there are bicycles and mo-peds on city streets
and “golf carts are here.” Shuter said that as far as mo-peds go, the
state has usurped the city’s authority on those; and it’s not safe to
ride a bicycle on city streets, which is why he’s passionate about
side paths, trails and greenways.

/quote