CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Seeing in the rain (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=30)

Michael July 9th 03 10:16 PM

Seeing in the rain

When I ride in the rain, my sunglasses (even with the clear lenses)
get covered in water, and I find that they impede my vision even more
than wearing nothing (on my eyes, that is :). Yet taking them off
just exposes my eyes to the rain drops, which is annoying at best, and
can hurt in a serious rainstorm.

What's the best solution? Does anti-fog stuff like Cat Crap help the
water run off? What about Rain-X, that windshield stuff?

What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
field to instantly dry the rain?

TIA

billcotton July 9th 03 11:02 PM

Seeing in the rain

Even worst is riding at night in the rain. I used Rain-x and the water was
changed to a thin film of water. However, the headlight from oncoming cars
prismize and made seeing worst. my riding buddy mention that sometime no
glasses is better. I remove my glasses for the rest of the ride.
http://www.billcotton.com/71st_birthday_ride.htm

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192'
/ / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364

//
www.billcotton.com

om...

Bill Davidson July 9th 03 11:36 PM

Seeing in the rain

Michael wrote:
What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
cap with brim to shield the eyes? An invisible heat-generating force
field to instantly dry the rain?

Some sort of visor will help a lot. I would tend to go with
a visor and no glasses. You'll still get the occasional drop
hitting your eyes but you'll still be able to see.

--Bill Davidson

Doug Huffman July 10th 03 12:16 AM

Seeing in the rain

This year has so far been WET.

I use Rain-X and a cap, under my hell-mutt, with a visor just long enough to
close the gap and keep the rain off the inside of the glasses.

om...

WBtobal July 10th 03 12:24 AM

Seeing in the rain

In article 7O0Pa.100$Bd5.88@fed1read01, Bill Davidson

writes:
Some sort of visor will help a lot. I would tend to go with
a visor and no glasses. You'll still get the occasional drop
hitting your eyes but you'll still be able to see.

Howdy,

The visor does help a lot. Also, keep in mind that vehicle drivers
don't always change their wiper blades when "needed"..making it even
more difficult to see a cyclist in the rain -- careful out there!

Regards,
Bill

Peter Cole July 10th 03 12:56 PM

Seeing in the rain

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
When I ride in the rain, my sunglasses (even with the clear lenses)
get covered in water, and I find that they impede my vision even more
than wearing nothing (on my eyes, that is

What about other, non-sunglasses solutions? A cycling cap or baseball
cap with brim to shield the eyes?

I find a visor helps a lot. I just use a visor-equipped helmet. On the latest
one I bought I had to tape up the "vents" (silly).