CycleBanter.com

-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Can a full-face bike helmet's chin guard (chin bar) really break your neck? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=147219)

[email protected] October 14th 06 06:49 AM

Can a full-face bike helmet's chin guard (chin bar) really break your neck?

The manager of a local bike shop informed me that if the chin bar of a
helmet gets whipped upwards during impact, the back of the helmet would
(he claims) be driven into the neck, and break the neck, causing
paraplegia (in other words, the cyclist becomes paraplegic.)

If this really true?

He recommends buying only helmets that have a strong (metal) chin
strap, that won't release on impact. He is implying that plastic chin
straps break, or otherwise loosen up, on impact. Now, is that true?

I'd like to hear from actual helmet users who have had these
situations.

Thanks in advance.

Veloise October 14th 06 09:00 PM

tunesandballoons wrote:
The manager of a local bike shop informed me that if the chin bar of a
helmet gets whipped upwards during impact, the back of the helmet would
(he claims) be driven into the neck, and break the neck, causing
paraplegia (in other words, the cyclist becomes paraplegic.)

If this really true?

He recommends buying only helmets that have a strong (metal) chin
strap, that won't release on impact. He is implying that plastic chin
straps break, or otherwise loosen up, on impact. Now, is that true?

I'd like to hear from actual helmet users who have had these
situations.

Hah! Can't; they are dead!

WABA has done many h*lmet studies, Try their website.

--Karen D.