CycleBanter.com

-   -   Tandem trailer bike (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195658)

[email protected] October 13th 08 09:54 PM

Tandem trailer bike

2 years ago, I bought a second-hand Pashley "U Plus 2" tandem trailer
bike. Whilst carting around my 2 little girls on it, I could have sold
several. The problem is, it does not de-rig easily for transport.
Would some intrepid engineer be interested in a joint venture to make
and market a de-riggable version? My daughters are a salesman's dream.

Alan Braggins October 14th 08 07:17 AM

Tandem trailer bike

In article , wrote:
2 years ago, I bought a second-hand Pashley "U Plus 2" tandem trailer
bike. Whilst carting around my 2 little girls on it, I could have sold
several. The problem is, it does not de-rig easily for transport.
Would some intrepid engineer be interested in a joint venture to make
and market a de-riggable version? My daughters are a salesman's dream.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ would probably solve that, but they aren't
cheap.

Rob Morley October 14th 08 02:24 PM

Tandem trailer bike

On 14 Oct 2008 07:17:59 +0100 (BST)
(Alan Braggins) wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
2 years ago, I bought a second-hand Pashley "U Plus 2" tandem trailer
bike. Whilst carting around my 2 little girls on it, I could have
sold several. The problem is, it does not de-rig easily for
transport. Would some intrepid engineer be interested in a joint
venture to make and market a de-riggable version? My daughters are a
salesman's dream.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ would probably solve that, but they
aren't cheap.

The best way to reduce the volume of the trike is to take the axle and
wheels off - that sort of coupling isn't going to help you do that.

Alan Braggins October 14th 08 05:35 PM

Tandem trailer bike

In article 20081014142450.134167ac@bluemoon, Rob Morley wrote:
On 14 Oct 2008 07:17:59 +0100 (BST)
(Alan Braggins) wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
2 years ago, I bought a second-hand Pashley "U Plus 2" tandem trailer
bike. Whilst carting around my 2 little girls on it, I could have
sold several. The problem is, it does not de-rig easily for
transport.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ would probably solve that, but they
aren't cheap.

The best way to reduce the volume of the trike is to take the axle and
wheels off - that sort of coupling isn't going to help you do that.

I sold my U+2 some years ago, but I think couplings in the middle
would have been as useful as quick release rear wheels.
(The triangulation at the rear means a removeable axle would do nothing.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/armb/se...7602304880563/

Naqerj October 14th 08 06:41 PM

Tandem trailer bike

wrote:
2 years ago, I bought a second-hand Pashley "U Plus 2" tandem trailer
bike. Whilst carting around my 2 little girls on it, I could have sold
several. The problem is, it does not de-rig easily for transport.
Would some intrepid engineer be interested in a joint venture to make
and market a de-riggable version? My daughters are a salesman's dream.

It is several years since I sold my U+2, so my memory could be faulty...
but surely it is de-riggable? Not easily perhaps, but it arrived
flat-packed and, when I sold it I just took it apart, put some
corrugated card around it and sent it to the new owner in the post.
Replacing whatever bolts that held it together (here my memory gets more
hazy) with something a bit more quickly-releasable shouldn't be too
difficult... should it?

--
Andrew

Rob Morley October 15th 08 02:27 PM

Tandem trailer bike

On 14 Oct 2008 17:35:53 +0100 (BST)
(Alan Braggins) wrote:

In article 20081014142450.134167ac@bluemoon, Rob Morley wrote:

The best way to reduce the volume of the trike is to take the axle
and wheels off - that sort of coupling isn't going to help you do
that.

I sold my U+2 some years ago, but I think couplings in the middle
would have been as useful as quick release rear wheels.
(The triangulation at the rear means a removeable axle would do
nothing.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/armb/se...7602304880563/

I wasn't talking about that particular trike, but the basic trike
configuration - obviously the design of an easily separable one would
start with different criteria than a rigid or dismantleable one. While
you're here, did the large wheelbase not make it rather cumbersome?