CycleBanter.com

-   -   Shimano chains - rivet reuse? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=96455)

Martin August 21st 05 09:46 AM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

The mechanic is very experienced, very well respected and services many
bikes in a busy shop. It looks like the rivets have been inserted to the
correct depth. Nevertheless the contact area between rivets and plate is
substantially less than it should be and the peeening that would prevent
the rivet moving is absent.

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

Many thanks

Martin

--
Removed z before replying by email.

Lou Holtman August 21st 05 12:39 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Martin wrote:
[...]

I would never ride with a chain rejoined with reused rivets. Even with 8
speed Shimano chains they say to rejoin them with a special pin. 10
speed chains have even thinner outer plates.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

[email protected] August 21st 05 12:48 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Martin:

It used to be that you could use the existing rivet to close a chain.
In fact, it would be very difficult to replace a rivet since you could
not thread it through the whole. so, you would break the chain without
completely removing the rivet. That is how chains would work, until
shimano came up with the replaceable rivet. It was the stupidest idea
ever. Whenever you break a shimano chain, you must replace the rivet
with a special order shimano rivet. Otherwise, the chain will surely
fail. With SRAM chains, you can reuse existing rivets, or use the
special link that allows you to break the chain with no tools.

Andres

Ivar Hesselager August 21st 05 01:03 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:46:29 GMT, Martin skrev:
..

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

Last time I reused a rivet on a Shimano chain, 3 years ago I broke the
chain in a short steep hill sprint, and I didn't discover what happened
till I found myself lying on the ground with scratched elbow and knee and
- worse - a scratched bike and a bent rear drop.
I haven't dared to experiment with reused pivets since. Extra rivets from
Shimano are ufairly expensive I think - so I use SRAM assembly links,
which are reusable - but should be changed with every new chain, according
to www.SRAM.com. It works fine with Shimano chains also.
Ivar

RonSonic August 21st 05 01:10 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:46:29 GMT, Martin wrote:

The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

I guess I'm slow - why would he need to use two rivets to rejoin a chain? If he
opened the chain for service, that's one rivet - OTOH if he's repairing a broken
chain that's also one rivet.

Ron

Qui si parla Campagnolo August 21st 05 02:03 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

Martin wrote:
The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

The mechanic is very experienced, very well respected and services many
bikes in a busy shop.

BUT he made a serious mistake. BAD idea for any shimano chain, REALLY
bad idea for the 10s chain. He is asking for a broken chain, on a chain
that is known for breaking even when connected properly.

John Everett August 21st 05 03:32 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

wrote:

The other day the mechanic at my local bike shop rejoined my Shimano 10
speed Ultegra chain reusing two rivets. Looking at the link under a
jeweler's magnifying glass I can clearly see that the peening on the
rivets is missing and I can see the countersinking in the plates around
the rivets.

The mechanic is very experienced, very well respected and services many
bikes in a busy shop. It looks like the rivets have been inserted to the
correct depth. Nevertheless the contact area between rivets and plate is
substantially less than it should be and the peeening that would prevent
the rivet moving is absent.

I am interested in readers' opinions and experience regarding the safety
and durability of this repair job. Do many people reuse rivets? Any
experiences of reused rivets working well? or failing?

When Shimano first introduced the "black pin" idea back in the early
'90s, I thought, "bull****"; and continued to push the old pins back
in. Since I hot wax, I was breaking and reconnecting chains every 400
- 500 miles. After 18,138.6 miles of such treatment (I googled up that
figure from a 1997 posting) one of the pins pulled out.

After that I started using Craig Super Links (now manufactured by
Forster) and have stopped worrying about link separation.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Arthur Harris August 21st 05 05:47 PM

Speaking of Shimano chains amd pins...

I bought an HG-73 9-speed chain from Nashbar. It came with a regular pin
installed on one side of the last link (not a special pin with the guide).
Are you supposed to use this pin after shortening the chain to the correct
size? I removed that part of the chain and used a special pin join the ends.
I would have thought they would include a special pin and not include a
partially attached "normal" pin.

Art Harris

Zog The Undeniable August 21st 05 06:34 PM

Shimano chains - rivet reuse?

wrote:

With SRAM chains, you can reuse existing rivets, or use the
special link that allows you to break the chain with no tools.

Not any more. Their rivets are peened too.

D T W .../\\... August 21st 05 06:39 PM

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/cy...9830558543.pdf

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.