CycleBanter.com

-   -   Calling Mr Cheerful (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=242137)

brianrob1961 September 5th 13 11:17 AM

Calling Mr Cheerful

I am still waiting for you to give me/us a list of your ideas for
cyclists to improve their safety, other than to obey the laws of the road.

John Benn September 5th 13 06:57 PM

Calling Mr Cheerful

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
I am still waiting for you to give me/us a list of your ideas for cyclists
to improve their safety, other than to obey the laws of the road.

Wear high visibility clothing. Don't deliberately obstruct other road
users. Wear protective head gear and elbow and knee protectors.

The list is almost endless.

Oh, and most importantly, obey the Highway Code. This bit isn't optional.

MrCheerful September 5th 13 08:37 PM

Calling Mr Cheerful

On 05/09/2013 18:57, John Benn wrote:
"brianrob1961" wrote in message
I am still waiting for you to give me/us a list of your ideas for cyclists
to improve their safety, other than to obey the laws of the road.

Wear high visibility clothing. Don't deliberately obstruct other road
users. Wear protective head gear and elbow and knee protectors.

The list is almost endless.

Oh, and most importantly, obey the Highway Code. This bit isn't optional.

Thank you for filling in the gaps, I fear it is a waste of time.

brianrob1961 September 5th 13 09:20 PM

Calling Mr Cheerful

On 05/09/2013 18:57, John Benn wrote:
"brianrob1961" wrote in message
I am still waiting for you to give me/us a list of your ideas for cyclists
to improve their safety, other than to obey the laws of the road.

Wear high visibility clothing. Don't deliberately obstruct other road
users. Wear protective head gear and elbow and knee protectors.

The list is almost endless.

Oh, and most importantly, obey the Highway Code. This bit isn't optional.

Must admit the elbow and knee protectors are a new one on me. Don't you
think that there comes a limit with such protection where the very
freedom that encourages people to cycle is compromised?

Brian.

PS Yes, the last bit IS optional. I break the highway code all the time,
so it has always seemed like an option to me, anyway.

John Benn September 5th 13 09:49 PM

Calling Mr Cheerful

[...]

There lies the problem. See my other post regarding the Highway Code.

Peter Keller[_3_] September 6th 13 09:07 AM

Calling Mr Cheerful

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:57:47 +0100, John Benn wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
I am still waiting for you to give me/us a list of your ideas for
cyclists to improve their safety, other than to obey the laws of the
road.

Wear high visibility clothing. Don't deliberately obstruct other road
users. Wear protective head gear and elbow and knee protectors.

The list is almost endless.

Oh, and most importantly, obey the Highway Code. This bit isn't
optional.

I agree.
Whatever else you do to try and improve your safety, obey the Highway
Code.

brianrob1961 September 6th 13 09:10 AM

Calling Mr Cheerful

On 06/09/2013 09:07, Peter Keller wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:57:47 +0100, John Benn wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
I am still waiting for you to give me/us a list of your ideas for
cyclists to improve their safety, other than to obey the laws of the
road.

Wear high visibility clothing. Don't deliberately obstruct other road
users. Wear protective head gear and elbow and knee protectors.

The list is almost endless.

Oh, and most importantly, obey the Highway Code. This bit isn't
optional.

I agree.
Whatever else you do to try and improve your safety, obey the Highway
Code.

What is it that some people - even some cyclists - don't get about the
real world out there? Above ANYTHING, cyclists should adopt defensive
cycling techniques to ensure their own safety. No law or code can - or
should - take precedence over that.

brianrob1961 September 7th 13 06:57 PM

Calling Mr Cheerful

On 07/09/2013 18:52, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message

What is it that some people - even some cyclists - don't get about the
real world out there? Above ANYTHING, cyclists should adopt defensive
cycling techniques to ensure their own safety. No law or code can - or
should - take precedence over that.

If that's a polite euphemism for blocking the road and holding traffic
up, it's far from likely to ensure their safety. It will simply ensure
that other road users regard the sanctimonious cyclist with contempt,
and that the less tolerant ones will make a point of repaying his/her
discourtesy.

You mean killing cyclists is ok?

John Benn September 7th 13 07:25 PM

Calling Mr Cheerful

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
On 07/09/2013 18:52, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message

What is it that some people - even some cyclists - don't get about the
real world out there? Above ANYTHING, cyclists should adopt defensive
cycling techniques to ensure their own safety. No law or code can - or
should - take precedence over that.

If that's a polite euphemism for blocking the road and holding traffic
up, it's far from likely to ensure their safety. It will simply ensure
that other road users regard the sanctimonious cyclist with contempt,
and that the less tolerant ones will make a point of repaying his/her
discourtesy.

You mean killing cyclists is ok?

He did not say or imply that. Read what he wrote.

jnugent September 8th 13 12:00 AM

Calling Mr Cheerful

On 07/09/2013 14:25, John Benn wrote:
"brianrob1961" wrote in message
On 07/09/2013 18:52, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message

What is it that some people - even some cyclists - don't get about the
real world out there? Above ANYTHING, cyclists should adopt defensive
cycling techniques to ensure their own safety. No law or code can - or
should - take precedence over that.

If that's a polite euphemism for blocking the road and holding traffic
up, it's far from likely to ensure their safety. It will simply ensure
that other road users regard the sanctimonious cyclist with contempt,
and that the less tolerant ones will make a point of repaying his/her
discourtesy.

You mean killing cyclists is ok?

He did not say or imply that. Read what he wrote.

That would require skills in the use of English.