CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   child trailer (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=77339)

Matt December 15th 04 09:51 PM

child trailer

Burley seems to be the main internationally available trailer
manufacturer getting mentioned.
There seems to be very little mention of "Chariot carriers" child
trailers (the CTS range) and nothing about the zwei-plus-zwei offering
(Kiddy Van in particular). These are the main ones my local cycle shop
offers on order. Is anyone out there using these who could comment on
their quality/value ?
Of particular interest is speed of folding/unfolding, as we will need
to do this every time we use the trailer (it will sleep in the narrow
hallway with the bike!)
Cheers,
Matt

Rich December 16th 04 03:36 AM

We have a burley solo ourselves, but the reviews on epinions
(www.epinions.com) are excellent for the CTS. I recommend you read them
for yourself.

I personally think the burley is kind of a pain to fold/unfold.
Fortunately, we only have to do it when putting it in the car.

But the kid is pretty happy in the trailer. He naps, he snacks, he
watches the scenery. We've gone on pretty long rides with him (35+
miles), but make sure we stop frequently. We've seen every playground
in town....

The only issue is his helmet. It slides down over his eyes, which then
makes him cranky. I think the helmet is pointless in the trailer, but
my wife insists on it.

Rich

botfood December 16th 04 06:37 PM

I dunno about the other ones, I've been using a burley d'lite for our
two kids for several years now. it folds rapidly and has held up very
well.

I also have come to the conclusion that helmets INSIDE the Burley are
not a great idea... seems to push the kids heads forward uncomfortably
off the seatback, etc.

Kids helmets are great for protecting against falling off and smacking
on the ground or curb, but seem pointless inside a trailer. We ALWAYS
wear them when riding our "big bikes" though.

Rich December 18th 04 01:01 AM

botfood wrote:

I also have come to the conclusion that helmets INSIDE the Burley are
not a great idea... seems to push the kids heads forward uncomfortably
off the seatback, etc.

Yea. I cut the back of my kids helmet off using a bandsaw just so it
wouldn't do that. It's now only about 1" thick in the back. He's only
two, so he doesn't ride on a bike.

Rich

maxo December 18th 04 03:57 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:01:18 -0700, Rich wrote:

Yea. I cut the back of my kids helmet off using a bandsaw just so it
wouldn't do that.

Great mental image.

"Hold still for daddy, I've got to take off just a little more"

ROFL

:D

Or did you take it off first? :/

Just zis Guy, you know? December 18th 04 03:59 PM

wrote in message :

I also have come to the conclusion that helmets INSIDE the Burley are
not a great idea... seems to push the kids heads forward uncomfortably
off the seatback, etc.

Yea. I cut the back of my kids helmet off using a bandsaw just so it
wouldn't do that. It's now only about 1" thick in the back. He's only
two, so he doesn't ride on a bike.

Thge mind boggles. Why would you need a helmet inside a stable
two-wheel trailer in the first place?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Zippy the Pinhead December 18th 04 06:18 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:59:21 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

Thge mind boggles. Why would you need a helmet inside a stable
two-wheel trailer in the first place?

Simple. If you want your kid to wear a helmet when s/he rides a bike,
you start getting the kid used to wearing a helmet when s/he rides the
trailer. And, of course, you model such behavior by wearing one
yourself while you're towing the trailer.

I know what your answer will be. I'm not trying to influence YOU to
wear a helmet, but you will proselytize me to repent and cast away my
helmet.

Peter Cole December 18th 04 07:51 PM

"Zippy the Pinhead" wrote

Simple. If you want your kid to wear a helmet when s/he rides a bike,
you start getting the kid used to wearing a helmet when s/he rides the
trailer. And, of course, you model such behavior by wearing one
yourself while you're towing the trailer.

I never had the slightest problem with my kids. As a matter of fact, I have
a cherished snapshot of my (then) 2 year old (now 11) daughter sleeping in
her new helmet -- she wouldn't take it off.

Tom Sherman December 18th 04 10:18 PM

wrote in message :

I also have come to the conclusion that helmets INSIDE the Burley are
not a great idea... seems to push the kids heads forward uncomfortably
off the seatback, etc.

Yea. I cut the back of my kids helmet off using a bandsaw just so it
wouldn't do that. It's now only about 1" thick in the back. He's only
two, so he doesn't ride on a bike.

Thge mind boggles. Why would you need a helmet inside a stable
two-wheel trailer in the first place?

For the same reason one should wear a helmet while travelling in a motor
vehicle. ;)

--
Tom Sherman

David Damerell December 21st 04 02:32 PM

begin quoting Zippy the Pinhead :
wrote:
Thge mind boggles. Why would you need a helmet inside a stable
two-wheel trailer in the first place?

I know what your answer will be. I'm not trying to influence YOU to
wear a helmet, but you will proselytize me to repent and cast away my
helmet.

That seems most unlikely, since Guy wears one himself.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!