CycleBanter.com

-   -   How much does Paint weigh? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=21368)

Bruni May 31st 04 01:37 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

100 gm seems a little much for paint. A comparison of my raw and finished
FRAMES is only about 150gm. I suspect steerer butting or length.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Bike Camano wrote in message
I have two nearly identical forks. The difference is color. One is a

metalic
silver and weighs more (nearly 100g). Could it be that the paint is the
difference or they were welded differently or ? Thanks!

Bike Camano May 31st 04 02:00 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

Pistof May 31st 04 02:31 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

How much does Paint weigh?

What weighs mo a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

Dave

ZeeExSixAre May 31st 04 03:00 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

Pistof wrote:
How much does Paint weigh?

What weighs mo a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

Dave

The bricks!!! Bricks are always heavier than feathers!!!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

dianne_1234 May 31st 04 03:04 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

On 31 May 2004 13:00:03 GMT, (Bike Camano) wrote:

I have two nearly identical forks. The difference is color. One is a metalic
silver and weighs more (nearly 100g). Could it be that the paint is the
difference or they were welded differently or ? Thanks!

I weighed a steel frame before and after paint, and the difference was
60 grams.

Dan Daniel May 31st 04 04:02 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

On 31 May 2004 13:00:03 GMT, (Bike Camano) wrote:

I have two nearly identical forks. The difference is color. One is a metalic
silver and weighs more (nearly 100g). Could it be that the paint is the
difference or they were welded differently or ? Thanks!

Something other than the paint. Or an amazing amount of primer and
clearcoat on one.

I stripped a fork that had a heavy clearcoat on it and it lost 40
grams. But that was severe.

The metallic silver is not the issue. Any paint has binders and
pigment- metal flake has, well, metal flakes instead of pigments, but
most of the rest is going to be the same. The paint to do a fork might
have 1-2 tablespoons of metal flake at most. Which might (guess here,
but...) weigh 10 - 20 grams at the most. And the pigment in the other
paint will have some weight to it. No way you get 100 grams of metal
flake to even stick to a fork unless you glue it on by hand :)

Werehatrack May 31st 04 04:14 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

On 31 May 2004 13:00:03 GMT, (Bike Camano) may have
said:

I have two nearly identical forks. The difference is color. One is a metalic
silver and weighs more (nearly 100g). Could it be that the paint is the
difference or they were welded differently or ? Thanks!

I doubt that you could put 10g of paint on a fork without having it
get mucked up with sags, runs, etc.

Clearly, they are only "nearly identical* in *appearance*; there must
be differences in materials, material thicknesses, or both.

Werehatrack May 31st 04 04:15 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:48:13 -0700, Jay Hill may
have said:

Pistof wrote:
How much does Paint weigh?

What weighs mo a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

non sequitur

Orange.

trg May 31st 04 04:38 PM

How much does Paint weigh?

have said:

Pistof wrote:
How much does Paint weigh?

What weighs mo a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?

non sequitur

Orange.

Orange paint weighs less than blue paint since the photons it emits are more
energetic.

Chorizo.

Jay Hill May 31st 04 04:48 PM

How much does Paint weigh?