CycleBanter.com

-   -   Any problem with the plastic suspension parts on a SpecializedS-Works Tarmac road bike? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257332)

[email protected] April 14th 19 04:58 PM

Any problem with the plastic suspension parts on a SpecializedS-Works Tarmac road bike?

One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic (polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time? Thanks!

[email protected] April 15th 19 10:42 PM

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 8:58:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic (polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time? Thanks!

No and I always look at those on my riding partners bikes. I don't really thing that they do anything.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] April 16th 19 12:56 AM

On 4/15/2019 5:42 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 8:58:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic (polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time? Thanks!

No and I always look at those on my riding partners bikes. I don't really thing that they do anything.

I think in a lot of cases they're worked really well. They've made
people buy the bike! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie April 16th 19 04:33 AM

Any problem with the plastic suspension parts on a SpecializedS-Works Tarmac road bike?

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 8:58:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic (polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time? Thanks!

Zerts? I didn't think those were used on the Tarmac -- just the Roubaix, Ruby and Diverge. After 13 years, I would think the Zerts are inert. I couldn't imagine how they would fall out.

-- Jay Beattie.

James[_8_] April 16th 19 10:08 AM

On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works
Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic
(polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in
excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the
plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time?
Thanks!

Perhaps a better question is do the plastic suspension bits actually do
anything?

--
JS

Duane[_4_] April 16th 19 11:25 AM

jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 8:58:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works Tarmac
CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic (polymer??) bits in
the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in excellent condition.
Have you ever heard of any problems with the plastic suspension bits
disintegrating or breaking after a long time? Thanks!

Zerts? I didn't think those were used on the Tarmac -- just the Roubaix,
Ruby and Diverge. After 13 years, I would think the Zerts are inert. I
couldn't imagine how they would fall out.

-- Jay Beattie.

My Tarmac Elite 2010 had them. My Tarmac Pro 2014 doesn’t. Both were
Specialized, no the S-Works models. I have a friend with a Roubaix and a
couple with Rubys. All have zertz inserts. Never heard of one falling out
or deteriorating.

Spec frames have lifetime warranty which would cover that but only for the
original owner.

--
duane

Duane[_4_] April 16th 19 11:25 AM

James wrote:
On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works
Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic
(polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in
excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the
plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time?
Thanks!

Perhaps a better question is do the plastic suspension bits actually do
anything?

Maybe but I didn’t notice much difference. I run 90 psi with my HED wheels
though. Maybe @ 120psi on rough roads?

--
duane

Frank Krygowski[_4_] April 16th 19 02:06 PM

On 4/16/2019 6:25 AM, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works
Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic
(polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in
excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the
plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time?
Thanks!

Perhaps a better question is do the plastic suspension bits actually do
anything?

Maybe but I didn’t notice much difference. I run 90 psi with my HED wheels
though. Maybe @ 120psi on rough roads?

I have a couple friends who have them. They noticed no difference at all.

I recall Specialized "scientific" propaganda being discussed here when
those first came out. Specialized mounted a frame on a vibrating table
and had graphs showing a moderate reduction in vibration, mostly at a
frequency of about 440 Hz.

440 Hz is a frequency sort of in the middle of the musical range. It's
an A note, the one symphony orchestras use to tune up.

If you've ever gone to a concert and your butt complained the A notes
were too loud, Zertz are for you.

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie April 16th 19 02:33 PM

James wrote:
On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
One of my sons, who is pretty big and strong,, rides an S-Works
Tarmac CF frame (about a 2006 model or so) with the plastic
(polymer??) bits in the forks and the chainstays. It seems to be in
excellent condition. Have you ever heard of any problems with the
plastic suspension bits disintegrating or breaking after a long time?
Thanks!

Perhaps a better question is do the plastic suspension bits actually do
anything?

Maybe but I didn’t notice much difference. I run 90 psi with my HED wheels
though. Maybe @ 120psi on rough roads?

I have a couple friends who have them. They noticed no difference at all.

How would they? You would have to have a Zert and non-Zert frame for comparison. I had a Roubaix with Zerts and sold it to my son (after it was stolen and recovered), and I had no idea what affect, if any, they had on the ride versus the CF layup, geometry, tire profile and pressure, etc., etc. It seems to be holding up under my son -- no Zert failures. It's a good fast rain bike with fender mounts, although not a ton of tire clearance with fenders.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ralph Barone[_4_] April 16th 19 03:23 PM

James wrote:
On 15/4/19 1:58 am, wrote:
[...]

I'm sure the weird kink in the frame that the Zertz were mounted in did
most of the flexing, and the rubber plug just filled the hole.