CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist: (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=245154)

Rolf Mantel August 10th 15 12:18 PM

AG: Safety Equipment for Bicycles

Am 04.08.2015 um 18:10 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
I've read that for some folks, problems may be caused by extra-strong
eye dominance. I'm right eye dominant, but have my mirror on my left
glasses temple. I eventually realized I blink every time I turn my
attention to the mirror.

I'm also right-eye dominant with the mirror on the left eye. I started
using the glasses mirror around age 25, and it took me a few hour of
training / weeks of usage until I was fully utilizing the mirror.
I guess the mirror even helped me to protect my good eyesight on the
left eye (which was getting lazy compared to the excellent eye sight of
the right eye at the time).

Rolf "at 45, no need for glasses yet" Mantel

Joy Beeson August 16th 15 02:58 AM

AG: Washing gloves

Bleeding blacks have a variant of the Xanth zombie spell: No matter
how many times you wash them, they have more dye.

So if your poorly-dyed black garment hasn't bled completely white,
keep on rinsing the sweat out of your clothes in two separate buckets.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

john B. August 16th 15 12:11 PM

AG: Washing gloves

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 22:58:30 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Bleeding blacks have a variant of the Xanth zombie spell: No matter
how many times you wash them, they have more dye.

So if your poorly-dyed black garment hasn't bled completely white,
keep on rinsing the sweat out of your clothes in two separate buckets.

What I do is just shed the sweaty clothes in a pile and my wife takes
care of all the details :-)

In fact she thinks my efforts in either the kitchen or laundry is
something to laugh about, and orders me "Out!" of both places. On the
other hand she seems to feel that stopped up drains are well within my
area of expertise :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson August 23rd 15 03:29 AM

AG: If you can't miss it, hit it square.

The sharper the angle at which you strike an obstacle, the more likely
it is to steer the bicycle out from under you. Brushing against a
curb that's almost parallel to your velocity is a guaranteed fall, if
you aren't both very lucky and possessed of a track racer's
supernatural balance.

So if you see a flaw in the pavement and have no alternative to riding
over it, come as close to hitting it at right angles as you can.

A drop-off is less likely to steer the bike than a bump, so line up
for the far edge of a hole and the near edge of a bump.

Some, BUT NOT ALL, of the curbs that are used to block the entrances
of driveways, alleys, and parking lots are sloped gently enough that
you can treat them as short, sharp hills: striking one of these at a
sharp angle is equivalent to switchbacking. But don't switchback a
curb when there is another moving vehicle anywhere in the neighborhood
unless you are absolutely, positootly certain that he can -- and will
-- miss you if you fall.

Joy Beeson August 30th 15 12:47 AM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

Now and again you see a sign telling you that it's legal to ride your
bike on a sidewalk. It may even be a special sidewalk on which curbs
and steps have been replaced with ramps.

It's still a sidewalk. When you ride on a sidewalk, you are totally
and all by yourself responsible for avoiding collisions at
intersections, because the drivers of cars don't see you. Hardly
anybody checks the sidewalk for moving vehicles, and even if you are
seen, you won't be noticed -- a person on a sidewalk is nothing
unusual or relevant to car-driving. His eyes won't linger on you long
enough to notice that you aren't moving like a pedestrian.

As if that weren't enough, every driveway and alley that crosses the
sidewalk is an intersection. On a street, a driver will stop short of
the crosswalk before creeping across the walkway to look for traffic,
but when he is emerging from a driveway or alley, he will pull out to
where he can see the street with almost no attention to the sidewalk.

---------------------

City planners often see no reason not to direct bicycles up the wrong
way of a one-way street. A white stripe may help in the middle of the
block, but at the intersection, someone turning into the one-way
street is NOT going to be prepared to see someone coming toward him.

---------------------

The powers that be get a big thrill out of building multi-user
pathways and putting up signs that say "Bikeway".

Somewhere in the world, there is a bikeway. It has sidewalks.

A multi-user path is a walkway on which people are permitted to play
with wheel toys. When you ride on one, you must use all the
precautions that you would use when riding on a sidewalk.

Bend over backward to avoid causing annoyance or alarm to pedestrians;
dismount if you have to. Speak before you overtake. Watch for dog
leashes stretched across the path. And, no matter how
lightly-traveled the pathway is, never, never put your head down and
sprint. You might run down a toddler or crash into a gate. If you
must sprint, at least watch where you are going.

NFN Smith[_2_] September 5th 15 04:07 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

Joy Beeson wrote:

Now and again you see a sign telling you that it's legal to ride your
bike on a sidewalk. It may even be a special sidewalk on which curbs
and steps have been replaced with ramps.

I'm pretty emphatic on the idea that as a vehicle, a bicycle has all the
rights *and* responsibilities of any other vehicle, including following
the traffic code. A bicycle is not a pedestrian.

It's still a sidewalk. When you ride on a sidewalk, you are totally
and all by yourself responsible for avoiding collisions at
intersections, because the drivers of cars don't see you. Hardly
anybody checks the sidewalk for moving vehicles, and even if you are
seen, you won't be noticed -- a person on a sidewalk is nothing
unusual or relevant to car-driving. His eyes won't linger on you long
enough to notice that you aren't moving like a pedestrian.

Yep. I nearly hit a guy a few weeks ago. I was pulling out of a
driveway of a shopping center, and there was a guy (probably teenager)
on a small BMX bike. I was making a right turn, and he was coming from
my right, on the sidewalk, and against the traffic. Plus, it was night,
and he had no light.

For me, as a motorist, if I'm making a right turn, I'm looking to my
left, to look for oncoming traffic, and I'm not looking right, at at the
sidewalk, for a bicycle that's going several times the speed of a
pedestrian. There was no collision, but he clearly was upset that I had
pulled in front of him.

As if that weren't enough, every driveway and alley that crosses the
sidewalk is an intersection. On a street, a driver will stop short of
the crosswalk before creeping across the walkway to look for traffic,
but when he is emerging from a driveway or alley, he will pull out to
where he can see the street with almost no attention to the sidewalk.

Yep.

---------------------

City planners often see no reason not to direct bicycles up the wrong
way of a one-way street. A white stripe may help in the middle of the
block, but at the intersection, someone turning into the one-way
street is NOT going to be prepared to see someone coming toward him.

Depends on where you are. I live near a major university, and on some of
the major boulevards near campus, on the backs of street signs that
designate bike lanes, the backs have signs with the familiar red-slashed
circle in front of a bicycle, and underneath, "wrong way". I don't
remember for sure, but I think the "wrong way" signs are yellow
background, rather than white background.

One of the things we also have at some intersections around here is that
if there's a designated right turn lane, and a motorist has to cross the
bicycle lane to get to the right turn lane, the marking for the bike
lane becomes a dashed line, and does a good job of communicating to the
motorist that the bike lane continues, and that to get into the right
turn lane, it requires crossing the bike lane.

It wasn't until I'd seen this one a few times, that I realized one of
the fundamental rules, regarding road striping (at least in the US --
I've never completely figured out all the striping in the UK). That one
is that if there is a solid line, a vehicle is expected to stay in that
lane, and a vehicle should not cross a solid line. That's not only a
double yellow line, but a single white line, as well.

A lot of motorists tend not to know this one.

Thus, it's not just handling of bike lanes, but other things, as well,
including entering intersections, places where there's stop-and-go
traffic, such as toll plazas and inspection stations, and in some
places, diamond carpool lanes. I was just in Southern California a
couple of weeks ago, and their carpool lanes are set up where there's a
solid line (in this case, double-yellow) that separates the carpool lane
from the next lane of traffic, and there are breaks only every couple of
miles. When I drive there, I've rarely seen a motorist move in or out of
a diamond lane by crossing over the double line, but waiting until the
designated break spot.

---------------------

The powers that be get a big thrill out of building multi-user
pathways and putting up signs that say "Bikeway".

Somewhere in the world, there is a bikeway. It has sidewalks.

A multi-user path is a walkway on which people are permitted to play
with wheel toys. When you ride on one, you must use all the
precautions that you would use when riding on a sidewalk.

One of the things that often escapes urban planners (and for that
matter, the public in general) is that there's more than one kind of
"cyclist". For many, they tend to project their own experiences on a
bicycle, either as a child, or as casual/occasional adult rider, where
the speed of the rider is expected to be consistent with a pedestrian,
and where the bicycle often is regarded as a "toy". From the perspective
of the motorist, this kind of rider is essentially a standing object,
and for policy purposes, something that should be isolated from motor
traffic, as much as possible.

And yes, this is where most of the expectation of design of "bike
lanes", "bikeways", etc. Not only urban bikeways that are magnets for
non-cyclists (walkers, runners, people on rollerblades, people pushing
strollers, skate boarders, etc.), but also spaces around schools, where
the "cyclists" are mostly children (with varying riding skills) that are
going to and from school.

A separate class of cyclist are the riders who really ride -- commuters,
fast fitness riders etc., who are often going at considerably faster
speeds, and longer distances than the casual riders. And far better
skills at handling the bike, as well as riding in traffic.

Not too far from where I live, there's an urban bikeway, and close by, a
major arterial boulevard. The boulevard is three lanes of traffic in
each direction, and I believe that the posted speed limit is 50 MPH, and
there's no marking for bike lines, although there's adequate space for
bicycles. It's pretty clear that the urban planners expect all bicycle
traffic to use the bikeway.

However, the bikeway is the typical magnet for foot traffic. Personally,
I'm quite content to go out there on my rollerblades, but if I'm on my
bike, I'm sticking to the street, because my activity (and speed) is far
more consistent with motor vehicle traffic, than it is in trying to
dodge the foot traffic that accumulates on the bikeway. For a cyclist,
riding the bikeway is analogous to a motorist driving in a school zone
-- it may get you to where you want to go, but expect frequent stops to
allow for slower traffic.

I should note that this for this particular situation, I'm not
advocating that all cyclists use the street. It's one that takes
experience, of good bike handling skills, and good skills in riding in
traffic -- and where the cyclist knows that he/she is following all the
rules of the Motor Vehicle Code, including red lights and stop signs. I
know plenty of casual riders that have no business on that particular
street, and should be using the bikeway.

Bend over backward to avoid causing annoyance or alarm to pedestrians;
dismount if you have to. Speak before you overtake. Watch for dog
leashes stretched across the path. And, no matter how
lightly-traveled the pathway is, never, never put your head down and
sprint. You might run down a toddler or crash into a gate. If you
must sprint, at least watch where you are going.

Absolutely, but at the same time, stay away from the sidewalks. The
relationship between the bicycle and the sidewalk should perpendicular,
where the bike is on a sidewalk only for crossing it, and access to a
driveway. For the bikeways, if you need to be there, the bike is at the
top of the figurative food chain, the fastest and most aggressive that
is there. Thus, that means that you have to assume that *you* have a
speed limit.

Smith

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 6th 15 03:01 AM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 9/5/2015 11:07 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

Good post. Just one quibble:

"... if there is a solid line, a vehicle is expected to stay in that
lane, and a vehicle should not cross a solid line. That's not only a
double yellow line, but a single white line, as well."

In Ohio, the Ohio Bicycle Federation got a law passed specifically
permitting motorists to cross a solid yellow line, when safe to do so,
in order to pass a vehicle (that includes bicycle) moving less than half
the speed limit.

It's a good law. It's what people have always done when needing to pass
a disabled vehicle creeping along the road, a mail truck stopping at
every mailbox, a horse and buggy, and a slow-moving bicycle in a lane
too narrow to share - provided the cyclist is smart enough to stay out
of the gutter.

The yellow lines are painted with the assumption that one car is trying
to pass a slightly slower one. They're unrealistically restrictive for
passing truly slow vehicles.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson September 6th 15 05:05 AM

AG: A newspaper cooler

When I was at the Burlington Bike Shop between Nappanee and Bremen, I
saw folding wire panniers just like mine except that the bottom panel
is the currently-fashionable perforated sheet metal instead of wires.
This leads me to think that there might be people who can use my
method of making a cooler out of newspaper.

Folding wire panniers were originally designed to fit standard paper
grocery bags. By happy chance, this makes them fit standard
newspapers, so all you need to make one into a cooler are newspapers
and plastic grocery bags.

The description is written for very thin newspapers; if your paper is
thick, you may need to use sections instead of whole papers.

Being a serious cyclist, I always carry a bag of crumpled grocery bags
to use as packing material when I buy something fragile. When I
started doing that, I figured that every now and again the bags would
get in my way and I'd toss them into the nearest trash bin, but it
seems that when my panniers fill up, I use a lot of packing material
-- and if there are bags left over, a bag of bags on top of a piled-up
pannier serves to wedge everything down and protect items from the
pressure of the bungee cords.

--------------- side trip

It is possible to fold a plastic grocery bag so flat that it takes up
almost no space at all.

This is easier done than said; don't let the complicated instructions
scare you.

Take hold of the ends of the seam at the bottom and pull to straighten
it out. Repeat for the seams in the handles. The second step is
harder, because the handles have usually been scrunched.

Put a finger in one handle and a finger of the other hand into the
pleat at the bottom of the bag and pull. The bag will straighten out
and the pleats will re-form. Repeat on the other side.

Stroke from the bottom of the bag toward the opening to drive out the
air, then fold the bag in half lengthwise and stroke again. Fold
again and stroke again.

The average-size bag is narrow enough at this stage. Put the palm of
one hand on the bottom seam and flatten the bag with the other hand,
then fold it in half crosswise. Flatten again, fold again.

When I build a cooler, the first step is to shingle the bottom of the
pannier with bags flattened in this manner. (There are usually
already bags there from the last time, since there is no reason to
remove them when I remove the cooler.)

I put bags under my cooler so that when I wedge all of my crumpled
bags down between things, then buy one more item, I can reach up
between the wires and pull out a bag to tie the extra item to the rack
with. This would be quite impossible if the bottom of the pannier
were fine mesh like the panniers at Burlington, so . . . um . . .
delete this entire section.

--------------- /side trip

To begin the cooler, line a pannier with a plastic grocery bag, to
keep wind from blowing between the newspapers. This is akin to the
"wind shell" that used to be worn over down sweaters.

If none of your bags is large enough, line the pannier with smaller
bags that you have squashed flat, so that you can use them like small,
irregular pieces of sheet plastic. (The squashing needn't be neat;
wrinkles add insulation.) Choose white bags if you have any, to turn
the sun.

Put a bag in each corner, the straightest part even with the top wire
and the middle of the bag pressed into the corner, with the handles of
the bag straggling across the bottom of the pannier. Then arrange
more bags overlapping the first four to fill up the gaps.

Next, take a newspaper folded the way papers are in paper dispensers,
hold the fold against the top wire of one side of the pannier, and use
your other hand to force it to fold into the corner between side and
bottom. Line the other side with another newspaper.

At one time, the next step was to fold a newspaper in half, but papers
are narrower than they used to be, so fold about a third of the paper
to make it just a tiny bit wider than the end of the pannier. Place
it with the new fold in the corner and the old fold even with the top
wire, then force the rest of it to fit. This wedges the side
newspapers into place. Put another newspaper in the other end.

If the insulation isn't thick enough, add another layer of newspaper.
At the ends, line up the thin side of the new layer with the thick
side of the first layer.

If you lined the pannier with a single large bag, fold it down over
the first layer so that the second layer can hold it in place.

At first, I folded a newspaper in half and wedged it down on the floor
to hold the sides in place, then I noticed that the floor was already
at least as thick as the sides and stopped doing that.

Now line the completed cooler with another plastic bag; since the
inside measurements are now smaller, odds are you have one that's big
enough. This helps to keep the newspapers dry, and also allows you to
carry everything you packed into the cooler into the house in one
trip.

After filling the cooler, fold the lining bag over the contents and
put in a newspaper folded in half as a lid. Then use your bag of
crumpled bags to fill up the pannier, and use two bungees to hold it
down. (The space between the newspaper lid and the bag of crumpled
bags is a good place to stash things you want kept out of the sun, but
not chilled.)

To make a bungee lid on a wire pannier, put the ends of the bungees
through the wires from the inside out, one bungee end on each side of
the hinge wires of the pannier end, just below the top wire, so that
the bungee is held by its middle and both ends dangle outside the
pannier. Bring the hooks up over the top wire and hook them to the
other end. Repeat with the other bungee at the other end.

If the bungee is too long, span more than one wire. If you pile up
more stuff than the bungees can stretch over, hook two of the hooks to
each other, so that three strands of bungee make a Z.

john B. September 6th 15 12:12 PM

AG: A newspaper cooler

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 01:05:47 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

I wonder, why not make a Styrofoam box to carry on the bike? I'm sure
that you can buy sheet Styrofoam and either contact cement or epoxy
glue will hold it together nicely. Admittedly it does take a little
forethought to be sure that you have it when you need it, but with a
little care it should last for years.
--
cheers,

John B.

john B. September 7th 15 02:50 AM

AG: A newspaper cooler

On Sun, 06 Sep 2015 17:54:24 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. considered Sun, 06 Sep 2015 18:12:54
+0700 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

[...]

All styrofoam can do is insulate, and it takes up space all the time,
regardless of how useful it is at that time.
Newspaper, by being simply wetted with water, will act as a
refridgerator, as the water evaporates and cools the contents. On a
moving cycle, this evaporation is enhanced, and the cooling effect is
sufficient to keep milk fresh (and butter solid) on a tour, even
without a Thermos flask.
Of course, you can only use it once or twice in that way before it
gets pretty disgusting, but as it's usually free, and using it will
only delay it's entry into the recycling system, that doesn't matter.

I wonder. Back in the "good old days" I took the "paper" daily and
always had a stack of news paper for use when to paint something or
clean the chain. Now I read the news on the computer and have to
remember to buy a paper occasionally or I can't paint.. or clean the
bike chain :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

NFN Smith[_2_] September 7th 15 04:41 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

Good clarification. I had forgotten about scenario of temporary lane
change for overtaking, although I suspect that there's probably a
measure of variance from state to state.

Smith

[email protected] September 7th 15 09:20 PM

AG: Stoplights

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 at 5:42:50 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
I once witnessed an egregious example of not understanding the rules:
A traffic light changed and a car stopped in the intersection to wait
for it to turn green again.

Though we call it a stop light, a red light doesn't mean "stop". It
means "it is not your turn to use the intersection". Had the driver
understood this, he wouldn't have remained in the intersection when it
wasn't his turn.

The most-common way to avoid entering an intersection is to stop, but
it's also permitted to move slowly enough that the light turns green
just as you reach it, or to turn off on a side road if one presents
itself.

Likewise, a green light isn't a command to shut your eyes and plow
straight ahead. A green light grants permission to enter the
intersection if it is, in your considered opinion, safe to enter the
intersection.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/

Well, I admit that's the best description of how lights should be treated I've seen.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 8th 15 01:33 AM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 9/7/2015 6:31 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
NFN Smith considered Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:41:39
-0700 the perfect time to write:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

And will be completely different for countries following the Vienna
conventions on road traffic (most of the world outside North America).

Can you tell us what the rules are for passing slow-moving bicycles in
those countries?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Duane[_3_] September 8th 15 02:15 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 07/09/2015 11:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

Quebec not only allows crossing a solid line in this case but if it is
not "safe" to pass the bicycle in the same lane, the passing vehicle
must move into the other lane when safe to do so and wait behind the
bicycle until it's safe to do so.

There is supposed to be some legislation coming to tell a motorist when
it's safe to pass a bike in the same lane. Some apparently think that
as long as you don't hit the bike, it was safe. I expect a 1 meter
minimum law to come. Not sure what they plan to do about the jerks that
try passing in a blind turn by moving into the other lane...

Duane[_3_] September 8th 15 08:30 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 08/09/2015 3:14 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Duane considered Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:15:33
-0400 the perfect time to write:

On 07/09/2015 11:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

The trouble with a fixed passing distance is that what is safe depends
on the size and speed of the passing vehicle, as well as things like
crosswinds. Even if the mandatory distance is stated to be a minimum,
once people have a figure, they tend to use it whatever the
circumstances.
I'll happily accept a small motorcycle passing at less than a metre if
it is only going 10mph faster than I am, but a 44 tonne truck doing
50mph with a crosswind from the right (the passing side in the UK) is
a whole different matter, and anything less than 2 metres is at least
very unpleasant, and a metre is downright dangerous.

But likely a 44 ton truck is not going to be able to pass me in the same
lane with 1m to spare so he will be forced to move to the other lane.
Well theoretically anyway. That's what they seem to do in places where
the 1m min is in effect. At the moment here it's up to the driver to
determine what a safe passing distance is. 1 meter minimum is better
than that, I think.

john B. September 9th 15 06:32 AM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:15:33 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 07/09/2015 11:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

Something that comes to mind with the 1 metre or 3 foot laws that seem
to be coming into style. Essentially it appears to mean that it is not
safe for an auto to pass a bicycle closer than 3 ft, or 1 metre. But
does that equally mean that it is unsafe for a bicycle to pass an auto
closer then the afore mentioned distance?

Certainly if the law were to be interpreted in such a manner it would
certainly do much to solve the "door" problem that some cyclists seem
to encounter.

--
cheers,

John B.

Duane[_3_] September 9th 15 01:59 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

wrote:

On 07/09/2015 11:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

Not sure why you would need a law to tell you not to ride in a door
zone. I guess we have lots of laws trying to prevent stupidity though.

One of the main reasons for riders getting doored here is that the law
is written in a way to imply that they should be in the door zone.
There are even some bike lanes that are exactly in the door zone.
Rather than a law requiring riders to not be in the door zone, I'd
prefer a clear exclusion to the ride right law that allows riders to
move to the left to avoid doorings. Better to legislate against
behavior that's injurious to others and allow behavior that protects the
individual in my opinion, if you see what I mean.

I also think that increasing the fine from 35 bucks to 500-1000 bucks
like Ontario is doing will go a long way to alert drivers to not be stupid.

John B.[_6_] September 9th 15 03:01 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

wrote:

On 07/09/2015 11:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

Singapore has always done that. Back when the average monthly wage was
probably under $2,000 a month the fine for spitting on the sidewalk
was $1,000. They did the same thing for talking on a hand phone
without a hands free device. Needless to say, you very, very seldom
see anyone spitting on the sidewalk or driving a car holding a phone
up to their ear.

They also hang dope dealers, usually about a month after conviction.
Surprisingly, there is a relatively small drug problem in Singapore.
--
cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 9th 15 05:42 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

wrote:

On 07/09/2015 11:41 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

Judging from what I've read on various cycling advocacy forums, some
U.S. state's minimum passing clearance laws do apply to bikes passing
cars.

I think those aspects of the laws are generally bad. Yes, cyclists
should be out of the door zone. But on occasion, competent cyclists
prefer to filter forward in heavy stopped traffic (even though it's only
rarely needed in my case). I don't think a slow moving cyclist should
be prevented from closely passing a stopped car.

FWIW, I also don't think three feet is always adequate passing
clearance. One NE state (Maine? New Hampshire? I forget) has a more
complicated law, something like three feet up to 40 mph, plus an
additional foot for every extra 10 mph.

Trouble is, it's hard to get overly complicated laws passed. You
usually have to settle for what's politically possible.

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] September 9th 15 06:28 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 5:33:43 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/7/2015 6:31 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
NFN Smith considered Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:41:39
-0700 the perfect time to write:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

In France I didn't see people passing people other than casually. I also didn't see racers inside the city limits. That was in 2002 and things might have changed. Stress levels seem to be a LOT higher now.

NFN Smith[_2_] September 9th 15 11:02 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

wrote:
In France I didn't see people passing people other than casually. I
also didn't see racers inside the city limits. That was in 2002 and
things might have changed. Stress levels seem to be a LOT higher
now.

Last time I was in Holland, I remember seeing a racing bike with a
handlebar bell.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that Holland might have a law
that requires all bikes to have handlebar bells.

Smith

NFN Smith[_2_] September 9th 15 11:31 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

Duane wrote:
But likely a 44 ton truck is not going to be able to pass me in the same
lane with 1m to spare so he will be forced to move to the other lane.
Well theoretically anyway. That's what they seem to do in places where
the 1m min is in effect. At the moment here it's up to the driver to
determine what a safe passing distance is. 1 meter minimum is better
than that, I think.

Depends on the road.

Many years ago, I got blown off the road by a passing truck. I don't
remember for sure, but it may have given 2m of clearance, but certainly
not more than that.

In this particular situation, I was on a right-hand bend, the road had
minimal paved shoulder, and a double-yellow center line. Because it was
essentially a blind curve, the truck had near-zero incentive to give me
anything more than the absolute minimum space.

For me getting blown off the road, that was partly that I was really
fatigued, and it probably wouldn't have happened, if I had been in
better condition.

Smith

Rolf Mantel September 10th 15 08:48 AM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

Am 08.09.2015 um 21:05 schrieb Phil W Lee:
The difference between those types of dashed markings is advisory.
Where there is a mandatory restriction of crossing the centre line, it
will be doubled, with at least one of the lines being solid. If only
one line is solid, the restriction applies if it is the one closest to
you, and if they are both solid, you cannot cross from either side.

The 'double solid lines' is not an agreed standard of the Vienna
Concention but an optional extension. Germany uses double solid lines
only on multi-lane roads to distinguish the difference between driving
directions (where a single solid white line might be used to separate
normal lanes from turning lanes).

Also, the usage of yellow lines for edge-of-road markings is not defined
in the convention.

The solid lines first mean "no overtaking here" (where overtaking is
defined to be overtaking a moving vehicle with more than one lane of
tires, i.e. bicycles and motorbikes may be overtaken but motorbikes may
not overtake cars), secondly the mean "do not cross the solid line in
normal operation" and thirdly they mean "no parking".

So with solid lines, car may overtake bicyles but they may not crosse
the center line while overtaking (motor bikes may not legally overtake
cars even if thes stay inside the lane which is generally ignored).
Cars must stay behind moving horse-drawn carriages or agricultural
vehicles - imagine a 60 mph road going over a blind hilltop where you do
not see oncoming traffic.
With solid lines, mail trucks must not stop at mail boxes (or
contrarily, there must not be solid lines in areas where mail is
delivered by truck - parcel deliveries are known to ignore all rules of
the road on parking anyways) but if a parcel delivery stops in areas
with solid lines, you are allowed to cross the solid line with
exceptional care.

Duane[_3_] September 10th 15 03:50 PM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 09/09/2015 6:31 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
Duane wrote:
[...]

The "idea" here is that the truck would have had to cross the double
yellow to pass if it couldn't pass safely. We currently don't have a
minimum passing law, only the "pass safely" provision.

There are some drivers that are not going to even think about waiting to
pass until it's safe. I'm not sure what you can do about them. Even
taking the lane, they're just going to switch lanes in a blind turn.
I've had this happen with oncoming traffic and our whole group had to go
into the brush to avoid the idiot when he moved back.

I don't see how any law will prevent this from happening. But at least
with a minimum passing law, a policeman can ticket someone in violation.
I've NEVER heard of anyone getting ticketed for passing a bike too
close here.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 12th 15 01:00 AM

AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 9/9/2015 1:28 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 5:33:43 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/7/2015 6:31 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
NFN Smith considered Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:41:39
-0700 the perfect time to write:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

[...]

We rode in France two years ago. I thought we were treated extremely
well. Never a problem, IIRC.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson September 13th 15 12:49 AM

AG: Fuel stops

A serving of the jam pudding called "fruit-flavored yogurt" is a good
way to get a quick shot of sugar when you stop at a grocery store. Get
full-fat "yogurt" if at all possible, and read the label carefully to
be sure there is no non-nutritive sweetener in it.

I wrap a clear-plastic disposable spoon in a paper towel and stash it
in my tool kit; with that and my pocket knife, I'm pretty well set to
eat anything I buy along the way.

Once, when I didn't have a spoon with me, I bought a cup of yogurt and
a box of crackers, and used the crackers to dip up the yogurt.

Plain tortilla chips are also pretty good with sweet stuff, and corn
is very glycemic.

Joy Beeson September 13th 15 03:12 AM

AG: Stoplights

On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 13:20:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

{Repost snipped]

Well, I admit that's the best description of how lights should be treated I've seen.

Thank you.

Joy Beeson September 14th 15 05:24 AM

AG: Fuel stops

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:37:55 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

[snip]

I like fruit flapjack, and if making it myself I use honey instead of
golden syrup (although that doesn't give any nutritional benefit, it
tastes nicer).
With sugar (both the plain sort and in the form of syrup or honey),
oats. and some kind of dried fruit in the mix (banana & date is my
favourite), it makes almost a meal in a bar, and you don't need any
utensils to eat it.
You can make it by the large slab-load, cut it into whatever portion
size you like, and store it in an airtight jar or tin until needed -
It keeps extremely well.
Just carry it in a sandwich bag, either in a pocket or whatever
luggage you prefer.

I used to make a "high-calorie muffin" of equal parts of sunflower
seeds, raisins, and self-rising mixed edible powder, with mashed ripe
banana or other sweet for the wet ingredient. Eventually I figured
out how to make it into bars, which was a lot easier than dividing the
dough into eighteen muffin tins. Nowadays, between reduced range and
living in town, I count on buying food along the way, and carry Aldi's
fruit-and-grain and "protein" bars for emergencies.

Joy Beeson September 15th 15 02:13 AM

AG: Fuel stops

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 22:48:40 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

A lot of the commercially available fruit & cereal bars are pretty
much the same as flapjacks, but at many times the cost. They are
convenient though, which I suppose is what you are paying for.

If I put food into a pannier with the serious intent of eating it,
home-made is the way to go. But when it's just-in-case, I prefer
something that can go on an indefinite number of trips before it's
eaten.

On tomorrow's trip, the first stop is a grocery, the second is a
hospital with a very good cafeteria, the third stop is behind the Wong
place, then I pass Panda express on my way to the bread outlet, the
fifth stop is a grocery store next to a line of fast-food places. I'll
probably bring my bag of food bars home again.

Plus a box of fruit-and-grain bars. I just checked, and we're out.
Plenty of "protein" bars, which we both like better. Aldi's bars are
both cheaper and better than the bars in our town's other grocery
stores, and Aldi is the object of tomorrow's tour. Goodwill etc. were
thrown in for exercise.

Alas, I'll be in Sprawlmart before four in the afternoon, but it's
about three months too late to bring a bagel sandwich home for supper.

Big Apple Bakery was thriving one day and gone the next.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 15th 15 03:57 AM

AG: Fuel stops

On 9/14/2015 9:13 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

On tomorrow's trip, the first stop is a grocery, the second is a
hospital with a very good cafeteria...

Hospital food is often underrated. On one long tour, we rode into a
small town and asked a guy about a good place to eat supper. He
recommended the hospital cafeteria as having some of the best food in town.

It was very good indeed, and quite inexpensive. The folks in the
cafeteria seemed to think our cycling garb looked funny, but the eating
was fine.

I remember a group of teens openly snickering at us. As we left, I
walked over to them and asked them some innocuous question, and
eventually mentioned that we'd ridden over 60 miles that day. It was
funny to watch the snickering get replaced by a sort of shyness, then a
bit of respect.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson September 20th 15 03:59 AM

AG: Taking it Easy isn't Easy

The hills on one ride weren't as steep as I expected. As I climbed, I
wondered: Is this a particularly easy route that I can recommend to
others, or are my quads building up faster than I had hoped?

I concluded that the main factor was that my two previous rides had
been a little longer than I thought I was ready for, so I'd recently
had a lot of intense practice in taking it easy on myself.

----------

Just going slow won't do it. You can ride so fast that you fall over
in exhaustion before the end of the first mile -- and you can ride so
slowly that you fall over in exhaustion before the end of the first
mile. (Well, a track cyclist could ride that slow; most of us would
fall over for other reasons.) Somewhere in between there is a sweet
spot, and only experience can tell you what speed is least tiring.

The optimum speed varies with time of day, terrain, current condition,
what you've eaten lately, and everything else. Fortunately, once you
have had experience, you can tell cruising speed from too fast and too
slow continuously.

----------

One rule of taking it easy is don't strain, don't strain, don't
strain. Shift down a little sooner than you absolutely have to,
switchback when you could still keep climbing straight, rest when you
come to a comfortable place.

But sometimes a tiny bit of peak exertion can save a lot of low-level
exertion. You have to learn to recognize those times, save the
overdrive for when you need it, and space out the efforts so that
you'll be recovered when you need to do it again.

----------

Since this essay is already too long, I'll make my comments on hills
into a separate post.

Joy Beeson September 27th 15 03:46 AM

AG: Easy on the Hills

In rolling hills, you can use some of the energy spent climbing up one
hill to help you climb the next hill. When you top a hill, keep
turning the pedals, but don't push very hard. As you gain speed, tuck
down in aerodynamic position. When you are going so fast that it's
uncomfortable to pedal, coast. Watch for the moment when the next
hill slows you enough to start pedalling gently again. Shift a tad
sooner than needed, but not so soon that you spin uncomfortably. Odds
are that you'll be more than halfway up before you run out of
momentum.

Don't use the above method on bad or unpredictable pavement, or places
where visibility is poor.

----------------------

Riding is easier than walking, so most of the times that you get too
tired to continue climbing, it's better to rest for a while than to
walk up the hill. I was told to stand facing downhill while resting;
what I actually do is to stay in the saddle, leaning heavily on the
handlebars until I get my breath back.

Well, I usually get bored, move off too soon, and end up resting again
ten feet further along.

The best way to rest is, of course, flat on your back -- ideally with
your feet propped up on a wall or a tree. But places where you can do
that without attracting ambulances are vanishingly rare.

The top of one hill where I used to live featured a park with a wide
flat-topped wall that was very high on the parking side, and easy to
jump up on from the picnic-table side; I was never disturbed while
resting there.

For some reason, people don't bother you if you rest in a cemetery,
and cemeteries usually have shade trees. (Check for poison ivy.)

Passersby usually get the point when there is an entire racing team
sprawled on the lawn.

Continued next week

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 27th 15 03:47 PM

AG: Easy on the Hills

On 9/26/2015 10:46 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

In rolling hills, you can use some of the energy spent climbing up one
hill to help you climb the next hill. When you top a hill, keep
turning the pedals, but don't push very hard. As you gain speed, tuck
down in aerodynamic position. When you are going so fast that it's
uncomfortable to pedal, coast. Watch for the moment when the next
hill slows you enough to start pedalling gently again. ...

Especially true for us on our tandem!

For some reason, people don't bother you if you rest in a cemetery...

Especially on Halloween!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Joy Beeson September 27th 15 06:04 PM

AG: Easy on the Hills

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:47:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

For some reason, people don't bother you if you rest in a cemetery...

Especially on Halloween!

There are two cemeteries on the route to Larwill. Unfortunately, they
are only a mile apart -- and less than seven miles from home. Seven
miles from the end of a ride would be a good time to set a spell, but
I never come back that way.

The gas station in Larwill has a tiny table with two chairs; if I buy
a newspaper, nobody notices me.

They also serve made-on-the-premises pizza by the slice. (Now I'm
eager for cool weather so that I can haul cheese fifteen miles without
hauling ice thirty.)

There's a cemetery on the road to Mentone, but I don't think that that
is the road I plan to use the next time I go there. Checks Google
Maps By George, it's right at the corner where I will turn west.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 27th 15 09:28 PM

AG: Easy on the Hills

wrote:

For some reason, people don't bother you if you rest in a cemetery...

Especially on Halloween!

There are two cemeteries on the route to Larwill. Unfortunately, they
are only a mile apart -- and less than seven miles from home. Seven
miles from the end of a ride would be a good time to set a spell, but
I never come back that way.

Hmm. Since we had mentioned Halloween, your phrase "set a spell"
suggested a different meaning for a moment. (Witchcraft??? Oh, just a
rest...)

The gas station in Larwill has a tiny table with two chairs; if I buy
a newspaper, nobody notices me.

They also serve made-on-the-premises pizza by the slice. (Now I'm
eager for cool weather so that I can haul cheese fifteen miles without
hauling ice thirty.)

There's a cemetery on the road to Mentone, but I don't think that that
is the road I plan to use the next time I go there. Checks Google
Maps By George, it's right at the corner where I will turn west.

I've led many rides for my bike club over the decades. One I did
several times was called "Tour de Tombs." We visited something like six
or seven cemeteries, sometimes to see the graves of prominent local
citizens, sometimes for some historic interest, but often just for the
beautiful sculpture and architecture.

I've read, and been told by a historian, that cemeteries functioned as
parks in earlier America. They can be pleasant places indeed. One that
I frequently ride through at night has a couple curious barred owls.
They're surprisingly tame and friendly.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_6_] September 28th 15 12:54 AM

AG: Easy on the Hills

wrote:

For some reason, people don't bother you if you rest in a cemetery...

Especially on Halloween!

There are two cemeteries on the route to Larwill. Unfortunately, they
are only a mile apart -- and less than seven miles from home. Seven
miles from the end of a ride would be a good time to set a spell, but
I never come back that way.

Hmm. Since we had mentioned Halloween, your phrase "set a spell"
suggested a different meaning for a moment. (Witchcraft??? Oh, just a
rest...)

Well, one could "sit a spell" while one "set a spell" :-)

Joy Beeson September 29th 15 11:41 AM

AG: You can't hide from a crazy driver.

I set the clock radio last night. This morning it informed me that
during the night, two people who were fishing in the middle of a lake
got run over by a reckless speedboat.

Joy Beeson October 4th 15 03:52 AM

AG: More Easy on the Hills

There are times when stopping to rest means walking the rest of the
way.

Out in the country, you can often wait for a time when nobody is
around and re-start across the road, turning the start into a
switchback as you gain speed. But in the bumper-to-bumper traffic
on Guilderland Avenue as I climbed out of the Mohawk valley, this
solution never occurred to me. I knew that if I stopped, I walked,
and it was miles to the top.

(Leastways I remember it that way; I'm not going to ask Google Maps to
measure the climb. They aren't top maps, so I doubt that I could even
if I were so inclined,)

So I shifted into my lowest gear -- which was pretty low; I left
"choose good gears" out of the "Take it Easy" essay, but that's
probably just as well, as I gather that modern clusters come
pre-selected, which may explain the fad for absurd numbers of cogs.

So I shifted my gears to granny and I shifted my attitude to "I am
climbing this hill. I have always been climbing this hill. I always
will be climbing this hill. Climbing this hill is the only possible
state of affairs." When I got too tired to push, I concentrated on
pulling the pedals up and let my feet fall of their own weight. Of
course I pushed some, if only to keep my balance, but I didn't think
of that; I thought only pull, pull, pull.

And somehow I always made it out of the valley, and when I got to the
top, it wasn't any harder to ride from Schenectady to New Salem than
it had been to ride from New Salem to Schenectady.

-------------------------

Don't look up and say "Oh, what a huge hill! I must shift down some
more." If the gear you are in now is just fine for the slope you are
on now, it will continue to be just fine as that slope goes on and on
and on.

-------------------------

Sometimes walking is easier. The driveway out of the fairgrounds
(where there is a farmers' market every Saturday) rises sharply just
before it meets the road. I must come to a full and complete stop
exactly where it would be a terrible strain to start moving again. So
I get off, use the crosswalk, and remount on the other side.

I also get off to cross a road when I have to wait for a chance and
the pavement is bad or I need to cross anti-bike curbs. Getting off
also reassures motorists that I'm not going to dash out randomly, and
it makes it easier to move out between parked cars for a better view.

Joy Beeson October 11th 15 03:24 AM

AG: Parking on a Pole

It has been brought to my attention that the art of parking on a pole
is not hard-wired at birth, but must be learned.

The process is very simple. Stop near the pole, a few inches away so
that the bike will lean against the pole and its center of gravity has
to be raised a bit before it can be knocked over.

The curve of the saddle should rest against the pole. This prevents
the bike from rolling forward.

Nudge the pedal on your side with your foot until the pedal on the
pole side rests firmly against the pole. This prevents the bike from
rolling backward.

So now it can't roll, the pole prevents it from falling to one side,
and the lean prevents it from falling to the other side. The bike is
stable.

But sometimes a gust of wind (or a passing child) can give the bike
enough of a push to overcome the weight pressing against the pole.
Just to be sure, wind your cable lock around the pole and through the
frame and both wheels.

If the pole is one of a series intended for parking bikes -- wavy
pipes that provide several poles for each pair of expensive anchor
points are popular -- place your bike at right angles to the row of
poles, so that you don't block other riders from using the other
poles.

If you want the bike locked, select a pole that is very tall, has
something big at the top, or is a closed curve. (A post supporting a
roof usually meets all three criteria.)

Frank Krygowski[_4_] October 11th 15 05:35 PM

AG: Parking on a Pole

On 10/10/2015 10:24 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

Your subject line confused me at first.
http://www.who2.com/sites/default/fi...elly-up-28.png

When I first started "adult" cycling, my older British friend expressed
surprise about my kickstand. He said "there's always _something_ to
lean your bike against." And he showed me the pedal-on-a-curb trick: put
the curbside pedal just back of straight down, prop the pedal on the
curb and turn the front wheel against the curb. The crank acts as a
kickstand. It's not super-secure, but it works.

Then another guy (at a LAW rally) showed me a sort of multi-step plastic
wedge he'd cut out of plexiglass. He'd squeeze the front brake lever,
then cram the wedge into the lever's opening to hold that brake on. The
front wheel was then unable to roll and the parked bike was much more
stable. Blackburn picked up the idea and sold them for a while.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5087/...71eb9ec3_o.jpg
But they're easy to make.

--
- Frank Krygowski