CycleBanter.com

-   -   Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=20445)

Bob Sims Lie Detector April 21st 04 05:37 PM

Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy

Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
got any recommendations to make? I'm not looking at high-level stuff,
more a well-diagrammed, straightforward manual which includes most of
the common problems a bike owner would come across and solutions to
solve them. Thanks

Ken April 21st 04 06:00 PM

Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy

(Bob Sims Lie Detector) wrote in
om:
Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
like Leonard Zinn

The Zinn books are good. The Haynes book has better diagrams. I recommend
getting both. If one confuses you, read the other one, too.

DRS April 21st 04 06:30 PM

Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy

Bob Sims Lie Detector wrote in
message

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=38747

--

A: Top-posters.

Paul Southworth April 21st 04 06:54 PM

Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy

In article ,
Bob Sims Lie Detector wrote:
Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
like Leonard Zinn,

The Zinn book is pretty good, there isn't any book I'd recommend
over it, unless you would be happy with a shop manual like
Sutherland's or Barnett's.

William Holiday April 22nd 04 12:42 AM

Advice Wanted- Beginner Biker, Which Repair Manual to Buy

On 21 Apr 2004 09:37:34 -0700, (Bob Sims Lie
Detector) wrote:

Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
got any recommendations to make? I'm not looking at high-level stuff,
more a well-diagrammed, straightforward manual which includes most of
the common problems a bike owner would come across and solutions to
solve them. Thanks

Bike to your nearest library.

Werehatrack April 22nd 04 02:20 AM

Sims Lie Detector) may have said:

Hi, I'm new to biking and am looking for a decent Repair/Advice Manual
for my city/road bike, so I don't have to keep going to the bike shop
when the thing breaks down. I've read reviews on Amazon of authors
like Leonard Zinn, etc, but there seems to be a lot of choice.. anyone
got any recommendations to make?

The Zinn book is a very good place to start, but might I suggest
checking to see if it's in your public library? Checking it out and
reading it may help you decide whether it's worth buying a copy.
They'll probably have some of the others available as well.

Don't expect any book to be right up to the minute on bleeding-edge
high-performance gear, but don't bother with a book that's so obsolete
that it doesn't recognize the existence of stuff that's common today
like brifters, 8- and 9-speed cassettes, etc.

Oh, and if you have a mountain bike with a suspension fork, bear in
mind that the fork's servicing procedures are unlikely to be in any
book. There are enough different fork designs to fill a good-sized
book without ever mentioning the rest of the bike.