CycleBanter.com

-   -   Handlebar bags (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=260664)

Frank Krygowski[_4_] October 22nd 20 04:27 PM

Handlebar bags

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich[_2_] October 22nd 20 05:16 PM

Handlebar bags

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 8:28:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

I used to have a bag just like that so I guess you'll have to change your mind (if you'll excuse the expression) and hate them forever more.

Lou Holtman[_5_] October 22nd 20 05:25 PM

Handlebar bags

Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou

Sir Ridesalot October 22nd 20 06:14 PM

Handlebar bags

On Thursday, 22 October 2020 12:25:10 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou

I fail to see how a non-aero handlebar bag that goes from the top of the front wheel to the handlebar can be described as acting like a fairing. I think that it'd create drag not reduce it.

He also says that handling is better with a handlebar bag than it'd be with the same size bag behind or attached to the saddle. I disagree with that too based on my experiences.

Cheers

Tom Kunich[_2_] October 22nd 20 06:23 PM

Handlebar bags

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 10:14:35 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 22 October 2020 12:25:10 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou

I fail to see how a non-aero handlebar bag that goes from the top of the front wheel to the handlebar can be described as acting like a fairing. I think that it'd create drag not reduce it.

He also says that handling is better with a handlebar bag than it'd be with the same size bag behind or attached to the saddle. I disagree with that too based on my experiences.

Cheers

You and Lou have good reason to be doubtful. The load in the bag continually shifts around and steers the bike around quite a bit. I don't remember it increasing my downhill speed by any noticeable amount so the fairing crap is a myth.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] October 22nd 20 08:18 PM

Handlebar bags

On 10/22/2020 1:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I once, on a long tour, had a problem with shifting loads in my
handlebar bag affecting handling. It caused a shimmy at a certain speed.
Rearranging the bag's contents fixed it.

About the aero effect: I certainly have never perceived any aero
detriment, and mine may be part of the reason I've usually outcoasted
others in my club, including people heavier than I am. That's despite
running fenders and non-aero wheels. (But technique probably plays a
part as well.)

All my current handlebar bags are quite rigid in both shape and
mounting. And the two on my most-used single bikes are aero shaped,
designed and built by me.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_3_] October 22nd 20 11:52 PM

Handlebar bags

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:27:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

Strange aerodynamics as the writer states that the bag makes him
"consistently 2-4 mph faster on the steep downhills", but apparently
not at other times??
--
Cheers,

John B.

news18 October 23rd 20 05:28 AM

Handlebar bags

wrote:

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

Strange aerodynamics as the writer states that the bag makes him
"consistently 2-4 mph faster on the steep downhills", but apparently not
at other times??

Weird, but perhaps he can tuck all his appendages into its the slipp
stream left by the 'cubic' handlebar bag and take better advantage of the
effect of gravity.

Andre Jute[_2_] October 23rd 20 07:39 AM

Handlebar bags

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:28:04 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

It's wishful thinking. Actually, there is one position where the bag might have some aero-effect, and it is the position Franki-boy's champion ignoramus assures us it would have no effect -- and where Ridealot tells us experience is it works. That's behind the saddle, where the bluff sides of the bag would form a sort of Kamm tail to shortcut the turbulence of the passage of the cyclist and his bike, which translates directly into reduced drag. See the work of Professor Kamm between the big wars, and the graphic of both my Lancia Fulvia (the Zagato Kammback and the standard factory 3-box coupe) at speed with the skeins of wool streaming behind it in my Building Special Cars (Batsford, London and Robert Bentley, Boston are the most accessible editions).

Andre Jute
Sleek & sophisticated

Sepp Ruf October 23rd 20 01:16 PM

Handlebar bags

Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 22, 2020, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Would you like to comment on this classic?
https://drivetribe.com/p/in-1998-luigi-colani-presented-CVoUYr2pRvymeEWJfOj2fg

Or this one?
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schauff-Fahrrad,_Prototyp_Colani_(2019-10-07_Sp).jpg