CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=161942)

Mike Jacoubowsky May 25th 07 04:32 PM

Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites

ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

Great to get mainstream publicity, I guess???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

7h@ch May 25th 07 04:53 PM

On May 25, 8:32 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

Great to get mainstream publicity, I guess???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Dude, even wikipedia got it before bike sites.

DirtRoadie May 25th 07 05:09 PM

On May 25, 9:32 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

I watched the live video feed (not in English) but MSNBC was the first
place I saw a written summary (In English) of what was said.

The ESPN site said:
"Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour,
and indicated he would be willing to give back the title."

So the 1996 Maillot Jaune would now go to the runner-up? And that
would be ... Oops, never mind.

DR

Dan Gregory May 25th 07 05:13 PM

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

I saw it first on
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20070525_170254Dev.html

Bob Schwartz May 25th 07 05:23 PM

DirtRoadie wrote:
The ESPN site said:
"Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour,
and indicated he would be willing to give back the title."

So the 1996 Maillot Jaune would now go to the runner-up? And that
would be ... Oops, never mind.

Let's expand in that a little:

1 Bjarne Riis DK 95 57'16"
2 Jan Ullrich D 1'41"
3 Richard Virenque F 4'37"
4 Laurent Dufaux CH 5'53"
5 Peter Luttenberger AUT 7'07"
6 Luc Leblanc F 10'03"
7 Piotr Ugrumov LET 10'04"
8 Fernando Escartin E 10'26"
9 Abraham Olano E 11'00"
10 Tony Rominger CH 11'53"

Who would you give the jersey to?

Bjarne should just keep it.

Bob Schwartz

Dan Gregory May 25th 07 05:28 PM

Bob Schwartz wrote:

Who would you give the jersey to?

39. Chris Boardman (Gbr) à 1h27'44"

[email protected] May 25th 07 06:02 PM

On May 25, 10:32 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession well
ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I expected.

Great to get mainstream publicity, I guess???

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Maybe because they were too busy covering actual racing?

Sandy May 25th 07 06:11 PM

Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites

Dans le message de t,
Bob Schwartz a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
DirtRoadie wrote:
The ESPN site said:
"Riis said he no long considered himself a worthy winner of the Tour,
and indicated he would be willing to give back the title."

So the 1996 Maillot Jaune would now go to the runner-up? And that
would be ... Oops, never mind.

Let's expand in that a little:

1 Bjarne Riis DK 95 57'16"
2 Jan Ullrich D 1'41"
3 Richard Virenque F 4'37"
4 Laurent Dufaux CH 5'53"
5 Peter Luttenberger AUT 7'07"
6 Luc Leblanc F 10'03"
7 Piotr Ugrumov LET 10'04"
8 Fernando Escartin E 10'26"
9 Abraham Olano E 11'00"
10 Tony Rominger CH 11'53"

Who would you give the jersey to?

Bjarne should just keep it.

Bob Schwartz

EXACTLY! it's only the little minds on RBR who have some unimaginable stake
in changing all the results. The riders know that it is irrelevant.

I get the feeling that some writers, here, want to go back to their bookies
to settle scores. Cycle racing is something they just plain don't
understand.

Sandy May 25th 07 06:13 PM

Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites

Dans le message de ,
Dan Gregory a réfléchi, et puis
a déclaré :
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
ESPN (and presumably others) carried the news about Riis' confession
well ahead of Cyclingnews.com and Velonews.com. Not quite what I
expected.

I saw it first on
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20070525_170254Dev.html

No, I did - RSS. This is a racing forum, remember.

[email protected] May 25th 07 06:19 PM

Riis admits to EPO... ESPN gets it before bike sites

Dans le message . net,

DirtRoadie wrote:
The ESPN site said:
[...]

understand.- Hide quoted text -

Hopefully they do what is right and give the jersey to Virenque, since
T Mobile was full of dopers. FRANCE WINS! FRANCE WINS!!!!

RVD