CycleBanter.com

-   -   Choose your metaphor (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255722)

AMuzi April 12th 18 08:54 PM

Choose your metaphor

From the sublime to the ridiculous
or
Best thing since sliced bread

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09...ord-groupsets/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Frank Krygowski[_4_] April 12th 18 10:56 PM

Choose your metaphor

On 4/12/2018 3:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
From the sublime to the ridiculous
or
Best thing since sliced bread

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09...ord-groupsets/

yawn Still just integer steps between gears, like everybody else.

Let me know when they develop cogs with non-integer numbers of teeth.
Only then will the ratios be close enough. Sometimes you really want
that 11.5 tooth cog!

--
- Frank Krygowski

David Scheidt April 12th 18 11:20 PM

Choose your metaphor

Frank Krygowski wrote:
: From the sublime to the ridiculous
:
: https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09...ord-groupsets/

:yawn Still just integer steps between gears, like everybody else.

:Let me know when they develop cogs with non-integer numbers of teeth.
:Only then will the ratios be close enough. Sometimes you really want
:that 11.5 tooth cog!

Abut a decade behind...
http://www.nuvincicycling.com/en/products/nfinity.html

--
sig 8

Sepp Ruf April 13th 18 10:56 AM

Choose your metaphor

David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 4/12/2018 3:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
: From the sublime to the ridiculous
: or
: Best thing since sliced bread
:
: https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09...ord-groupsets/

:yawn Still just integer steps between gears, like everybody else.

:Let me know when they develop cogs with non-integer numbers of teeth.
:Only then will the ratios be close enough. Sometimes you really want
:that 11.5 tooth cog!

Abut a decade behind...
http://www.nuvincicycling.com/en/products/nfinity.html

Actually, 1/12 microstepping guarantees smoother shift starts than integer
steps, but works more crispier, less sluggish than a slacker NuVinci!

Here is the exclusive LEAKED preview of next season's (they'll skip the
dreaded #13) new Campagnolo Racing Record gruppo gear indicator:
https://www.poljot24.de/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/a/racingweiss1.jpg

Frank Krygowski[_4_] April 13th 18 03:31 PM

Choose your metaphor

On 4/12/2018 6:20 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 4/12/2018 3:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
: From the sublime to the ridiculous
: or
: Best thing since sliced bread
:
: https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/09...ord-groupsets/

:yawn Still just integer steps between gears, like everybody else.

:Let me know when they develop cogs with non-integer numbers of teeth.
:Only then will the ratios be close enough. Sometimes you really want
:that 11.5 tooth cog!

Abut a decade behind...
http://www.nuvincicycling.com/en/products/nfinity.html

Good point. I've known about NuVinci for quite a while.

Based on the operating principle, it seems to me the NuVinci would be
draggy, and online comments hint that it is. This site
https://www.cyclingabout.com/speed-d...arbox-systems/
claims only 83.5% efficiency (although I don't see the NuVinci curve in
their graph). 83.5% is really low.

Has anyone here ridden one?

--
- Frank Krygowski

David Scheidt April 13th 18 08:34 PM

Choose your metaphor

: Frank Krygowski wrote:
: :On 4/12/2018 3:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
: : From the sublime to the ridiculous
: : or
: : Best thing since sliced bread
: :
[...]

Once, on a heavy cargo bike, with a passenger. I couldn't tell if the
their was an efficency issue, or just the "I'm riding a 500 pound
bike!" problem.

--
sig 48