CycleBanter.com

-   -   A 'bloody idiot' is jailed for 8 years (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=258213)

Simon Mason[_6_] October 2nd 19 09:44 PM

A 'bloody idiot' is jailed for 8 years

QUOTE:
Judge Nicholas Heathcote Williams QC, passing sentence, said: 'Your driving was appalling. I consider this at the most serious level of dangerousness.

'You deliberately drove dangerously in a way that caused death. You showed complete disregard to the danger caused to others. More, as a cyclist, the deceased was a vulnerable user of the road.

'Your previous convictions show a history of aggressively promoting your own short term interests and a readiness to endanger others.

'Not only were you driving dangerously, you did so while you were on licence and were driving without a licence and insurance. You failed to report the incident.

'You also used a false name when confronted with police officers and absconded at the first opportunity. Mr Marchesini was in no way responsible for the collision.

'You are a selfish man. The sympathy you claim you feel is shallow. I accept you feel sad, but I suspect you feel sad for yourself as you will be in prison for a very long time.'

Richardson was sentenced to eight years in prison and a further four years on licence, with a possibility for parole at the earliest date of five years and four months. His driving licence will also be revoked.
ENDS

Revoked for the rest of the criminal driver's life, one hopes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ght-years.html

Simon Jester October 3rd 19 12:22 AM

On Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 9:44:51 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

"The road had only been made one-way three months earlier"
You see with your brain not your eyes. Cyclists' brains can process images in yocto seconds but it can take up to 3 years for a motorist's brain to process the same image. Might explain why they jump so many red lights.

TMS320 October 3rd 19 09:19 AM

On 02/10/2019 21:44, Simon Mason wrote:

His driving licence will also be revoked.

Will it make any difference?

jnugent October 3rd 19 08:47 PM

[...]

Isn't it about time that is was made illegal to drive without a driving
licence and without insurance?

In fact, what do you call a man who hasn't got a driving licence and
cannot afford insurance (or is too tight to buy it)?

A *cyclist*, of course.

It's all he's qualified for.

So "Richardson" was nothing more than a cyclist (he had the
qualifications for that), illegally pretending to be a "motorist" (ie, a
driver).

jnugent October 3rd 19 08:49 PM

On 03/10/2019 00:22, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

In other words, Richardson wasn't a motorist. He had none of the
necessary legal qualifications for that.

All he was qualified for was cycling. He was a cyclist illegally
pretending to be a "motorist".

jnugent October 3rd 19 08:50 PM

On 03/10/2019 09:19, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/10/2019 21:44, Simon Mason wrote:

His driving licence will also be revoked.

Will it make any difference?

His "driving licence" cannot be revoked for rather obvious reasons: he
didn't have one (read the report again). And no insurance.

He was only qualified to be a cyclist, not a driver.

Simon Mason[_6_] October 3rd 19 09:14 PM

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 9:19:56 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/10/2019 21:44, Simon Mason wrote:

His driving licence will also be revoked.

Will it make any difference?

Do we know if his revocation will still be in force when he gets let out of jail?

jnugent October 3rd 19 09:18 PM

On 03/10/2019 21:14, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 9:19:56 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/10/2019 21:44, Simon Mason wrote:

His driving licence will also be revoked.

Will it make any difference?

Do we know if his revocation will still be in force when he gets let out of jail?

It is technically possible for a non-licence-holder, who of course, is
not a driver but is a cyclist*, to be banned from driving (which means
banned from obtaining a licence and banned from becoming a driver).

It isn't at all possible for a non-existent licence to be revoked.

Get yourself a dictionary.

[* Someone who has not got a driving licence is only qualified to ride a
bicycle (or drive a horse-drawn vehicle).

Simon Jester October 3rd 19 09:48 PM

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 9:18:44 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 03/10/2019 21:14, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 9:19:56 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/10/2019 21:44, Simon Mason wrote:

His driving licence will also be revoked.

Will it make any difference?

Do we know if his revocation will still be in force when he gets let out of jail?

It is technically possible for a non-licence-holder, who of course, is
not a driver but is a cyclist*, to be banned from driving (which means
banned from obtaining a licence and banned from becoming a driver).

It isn't at all possible for a non-existent licence to be revoked.

Get yourself a dictionary.

[* Someone who has not got a driving licence is only qualified to ride a
bicycle (or drive a horse-drawn vehicle).

Your new meds seem to be working too well, get the nurse to slow the drip.

TMS320 October 4th 19 12:27 AM

A 'bloody idiot' is jailed for 8 years

On 03/10/2019 21:14, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, October 3, 2019 at 9:19:56 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 02/10/2019 21:44, Simon Mason wrote:

His driving licence will also be revoked.

Will it make any difference?

Do we know if his revocation will still be in force when he gets let
out of jail?

I meant, will not having a licence stop him from driving?