CycleBanter.com

-   -   cone wrench: why so massive? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=136954)

Michael June 25th 06 03:14 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

--
Michael

Paul Cassel June 25th 06 03:34 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

Michael wrote:
During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

I'd guess the 15mm was specifically made as a pedal wrench which would
account for the larger size.

Llatikcuf June 25th 06 05:28 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

Michael wrote:
During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

--
Michael

It's a pedal wrench.

Michael June 25th 06 06:54 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

Paul Cassel wrote:

Michael wrote:
During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

I'd guess the 15mm was specifically made as a pedal wrench which would
account for the larger size.

Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
cone wrench. I prefer thick jaws (more bearing surface) on wrenches that I lean
on. I like my set of Pedro tire levers but the "pedal wrench", if that's what
it is, seems ill-conceived.

--
Michael

Paul Cassel June 25th 06 07:24 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

Michael wrote:

Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
cone wrench. I prefer thick jaws (more bearing surface) on wrenches that I lean
on. I like my set of Pedro tire levers but the "pedal wrench", if that's what
it is, seems ill-conceived.

I think it more than possible. I own one.

O-V R:nen June 25th 06 07:44 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

Michael writes:

Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
cone wrench.

There are quite a few pedals that demand a fairly thin wrench. (It's
probably still thicker than a cone wrench, or else the cone wrenches
are unusally thick.)

Phil, Squid-in-Training June 26th 06 01:37 AM

cone wrench: why so massive?

Michael wrote:
During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

--
Michael

Like this one?
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...m_cat=datafeed

Many pedals don't allow a full-width 15mm wrench to decrease the
q-factor.

Phil

John Forrest Tomlinson June 26th 06 11:41 AM

cone wrench: why so massive?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:54:04 GMT, Michael wrote:

Paul Cassel wrote:

Michael wrote:
During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

Because I didn't like the large sizes of the cone wrenches I'd seen, I made one
by grinding down the cheeks of a 13mm-15mm open-end wrench. It turned 26 years
old this month.

I'd guess the 15mm was specifically made as a pedal wrench which would
account for the larger size.

Pedal wrench .... That's possible, I suppose. But it's so thin; exactly like a
cone wrench.

It might be a dual-purpose wrench for cones and pedals.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Michael June 26th 06 04:55 PM

cone wrench: why so massive?

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote:

Michael wrote:
[...]

"q-factor" Would that be "lateral bending stress"? Makes sense to me that one
would want the distance between pedal and crank to be "vanishingly small" (as my
calculus text put it).

--
Michael

Werehatrack June 27th 06 08:11 AM

cone wrench: why so massive?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:14:05 GMT, Michael wrote:

During my usual scan of the pegboard displays at LBS, I paused to look at
blister packed cone wrenches (all were Pedro, I think). While the 13mm had more
or less reasonable dimensions and price - roughly 7" handle; about $7 - the
15mm was comparatively huge and 2x-3x the price. Sure, more steel increases
cost, but isn't 12" of leverage on a cone wrench massive overkill? I certainly
would never buy such a beast, much less carry it on the bike.

That wasn't a cone wrench. It was a pedal wrench.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.