CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Putting plates on without a cone wrench (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=150626)

Eroick November 27th 06 03:45 AM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

So, I have these nice bedford plates. I put them on once, but they came
loose. I can get them on, but they come loose. If I had a cone wrench,
it wouldn't be that hard. But, without the cone wrench is it possible?
I cant seem to find anywhere with a 19mm cone wrench.

--
Eroick

--Eric Evenchick

My MSN:

but 3 degrees is like a heat wave!! woohoo.

Eroick's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

bcwheelriderguyhehehehehe November 27th 06 03:57 AM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

What's a cone wrench? Hehe jks!:p When I don't have one available I put
a wrench behind where the plate goes (closest to the spokes) and just
take a wrench and screw on the nut. It works. Getting the plates even
is a wee bit of a bugger though.

420th post! Thats for you danni!

--
bcwheelriderguyhehehehehe

dudewithasock wrote:
Yeah, and they have more estrogen than me, too. Now *that* takes guts.

iridemymuni wrote:

hey evan i've got the same blue nipples as you !!!!!

tobbogonist wrote:

this may be off topic, but my trouser snake is called:
Conan: The Barbarian

bcwheelriderguyhehehehehe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12978

Eroick November 27th 06 04:00 AM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

I don't have the right sized wrench to go behind the plate and the
spanners I have are too big.

Spencer Hochberg November 27th 06 04:21 AM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

I have had problems keeping them tight too. I get 2 stacks of bricks
about 4" apart then I put the wheel in the middle with one plate on
each stack of bricks. Then I stand on them and use a normal wrench to
tighten the bolts as I am standing on them. I usually tighten it with
my foot to get it really tight but I manage to loosen them anyway.
Maybe some loctight might help?

My way with the bricks is good because you can use all your weight to
tighten them and they are always perfectly straight.

--
Spencer Hochberg

'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
(http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

Evan wrote:

why are the dead burryed in the best beds?
a casket would be an awesome bed, they are fluffy

Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

Evan Byrne November 27th 06 04:32 AM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

A vice works best. You can tighten it as hard as you want. You don't,
and should'nt use a cone wrench for tightening the plates. A "cone"
sets the correct pressure on the bearings to keep them for seizing up
or coming loose. You tighten the cones correctly, then tighten your
nuts onto them.

--
Evan Byrne
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Eroick November 27th 06 12:08 PM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

However, it seems that when I try and tighten the the plate, the cone
gets adjusted and always ends up too tight.

mark williamson November 27th 06 04:01 PM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

I've often just ridden with my plates loose, but this is probably not a
good idea. I got a pair of large adjustable spanners, put them on both
bolts simultaneously and pulled.

I needed to wiggle the plates a bit after initial tightening, to get
them even. But got there in the end, and then tightened them up much
more. Experience suggests that they can still get knocked loose by a
few impacts when I drop the wheel, so I think Loctite might be worth
trying...

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

johnfoss November 27th 06 04:58 PM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

For serious BC riders, you should assume you're going to want some cone
wrenches. I always had problems with mine over the years of my BC
wheeling. Either problems with the bearings coming loose, or problems
finding my damn Park cone wrenches. They're around here somewhere...

The nature of BC wheels, using common "front axle" technology, leads to
a tendency for things to come loose a lot. You really should have the
proper tools to protect your bearings. Order the wrenches online if you
can't find them locally.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Evan Byrne November 27th 06 09:49 PM

Putting plates on without a cone wrench

Unless your cone binds up, Its easiest to tighten cones by hand, You can
fin tune it perfectly for that nice butter bearing feeling.

Eroick: The cone wont tighten when your tightening your plate as long
as you dont let the plate spin whilst tightening.

Eroick November 27th 06 10:23 PM

Evan Byrne wrote:

Eroick: The cone wont tighten when your tightening your plate as long
as you dont let the plate spin whilst tightening.

But it does! I need to hold the cone still and then turn the thin nut
to lock it, then put the plate on.