CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cantilever Vs V-brakes. (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=251572)

Benderthe.evilrobot September 23rd 16 09:34 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

My main bike needs a fairly major overhaul, so I looked at the junk pile for
anything that could be rebuilt as a temp.

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need replacing, so I
wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

The Youtube clip I found makes it look *THAT* simple - there must be a
catch!!!

Thanks for any help.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 23rd 16 10:00 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On 9/23/2016 4:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
My main bike needs a fairly major overhaul, so I looked at the junk pile
for anything that could be rebuilt as a temp.

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need replacing,
so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

The Youtube clip I found makes it look *THAT* simple - there must be a
catch!!!

Thanks for any help.

Why convert? Cantis work fine. V-brakes initial advantages were that
they would work with suspension forks, and they were easier to install.
Those don't concern you.

Once installed, they are a bit harder to precisely adjust; but you don't
have to do that more than once per year, if you're anything like
typical. And if you go to V-brakes, you'll likely need new brake levers
too.

I'd say replace the cables and see how the brakes work. Replace the
brake shoes if needed. If they squeal, adjust the toe-in. If they
stick, lubricate them.

Oh, and if you like, you can even adjust the mechanical advantage with
cantis.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

--
- Frank Krygowski

Benderthe.evilrobot September 23rd 16 10:07 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On 9/23/2016 4:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
My main bike needs a fairly major overhaul, so I looked at the junk pile
for anything that could be rebuilt as a temp.

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need replacing,
so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

The Youtube clip I found makes it look *THAT* simple - there must be a
catch!!!

Thanks for any help.

Why convert? Cantis work fine. V-brakes initial advantages were that
they would work with suspension forks, and they were easier to install.

The potential temp bike with cantilever brakes has sprung front forks -
that's why its preferred over others on the pile.

Maybe its just me, but cantilevers just don't look right.

AMuzi September 23rd 16 10:34 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On 9/23/2016 3:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
My main bike needs a fairly major overhaul, so I looked at
the junk pile for anything that could be rebuilt as a temp.

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need
replacing, so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while
I was at it.

The Youtube clip I found makes it look *THAT* simple - there
must be a catch!!!

Thanks for any help.

Frame & fork mounts are the same for both. Mechanical setup
is simple for either.

Linear & cantilever have different cable travel; each format
requires matching levers.

Fat tires with tight clearances are hell for wheel changes
with linear, more forgiving with cantilever.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Gregory Sutter September 24th 16 01:16 AM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On 2016-09-23, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
On 9/23/2016 4:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need replacing,
so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

Maybe its just me, but cantilevers just don't look right.

Cantis are very nice, if you know how to adjust them well, if you can
protect against the straddle-cable-falling-into-wheel situation, and
if you avoid the ****ty fixed-length straddle cables.

But if you want to convert to V-Brakes without changing brake levers,
all you need is this.

Problem Solvers Travel Agent Adjustable
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=6361

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/

John B.[_6_] September 24th 16 01:53 AM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 21:34:53 +0100, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

My main bike needs a fairly major overhaul, so I looked at the junk pile for
anything that could be rebuilt as a temp.

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need replacing, so I
wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

The Youtube clip I found makes it look *THAT* simple - there must be a
catch!!!

Thanks for any help.

My experience has been that, as far ads installation, they are
interchangeable however the Vee brakes require more "cable pull" than
Cantilevers. I have successfully used both with the same brake levers
by careful adjustment of the brake clearance and wheels with no
wobble.
--
cheers,

John B.

Benderthe.evilrobot September 24th 16 07:41 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On 2016-09-23, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
On 9/23/2016 4:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need replacing,
so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while I was at it.

Maybe its just me, but cantilevers just don't look right.

Cantis are very nice, if you know how to adjust them well, if you can
protect against the straddle-cable-falling-into-wheel situation, and
if you avoid the ****ty fixed-length straddle cables.

But if you want to convert to V-Brakes without changing brake levers,
all you need is this.

Problem Solvers Travel Agent Adjustable
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=6361

Already watched a Youtube clip on how to do it - its so simple I wondered;
what's the catch.

One comparison I found online suggests that cantilevers don't wear out
blocks so fast - but don't necessarily stop where you want to.

R. J. Mitchell who designed the Spitfire fighter plane was famously quoted;
"if it looks right - it'll probably fly" - IMO: cantilevers don't look
right.

Benderthe.evilrobot September 24th 16 07:47 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 9/23/2016 3:34 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
My main bike needs a fairly major overhaul, so I looked at
the junk pile for anything that could be rebuilt as a temp.

The best candidate has cantilever brakes and the cables need
replacing, so I wondered about converting to V-brakes while
I was at it.

The Youtube clip I found makes it look *THAT* simple - there
must be a catch!!!

Thanks for any help.

Frame & fork mounts are the same for both. Mechanical setup is simple for
either.

Linear & cantilever have different cable travel; each format requires
matching levers.

Fat tires with tight clearances are hell for wheel changes with linear,
more forgiving with cantilever.

Unless the tyre is completely flat - it won't clear the blocks without
unhooking the cable.

Usually the tyre isn't flat anymore when I put the wheel back - so the cable
has to be unhooked at some point either way.

Sometimes I find dumped bikes that aren't worth recovering, but the wheels
might be worth taking - V-brakes have always been easier to release than
cantilevers.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 24th 16 11:00 PM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On

One comparison I found online suggests that cantilevers don't wear out
blocks so fast - but don't necessarily stop where you want to.

R. J. Mitchell who designed the Spitfire fighter plane was famously
quoted; "if it looks right - it'll probably fly" - IMO: cantilevers
don't look right.

Looking "right" depends very much on the knowledge base of the person
doing the looking.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_6_] September 25th 16 04:43 AM

Cantilever Vs V-brakes.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 18:00:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On

One comparison I found online suggests that cantilevers don't wear out
blocks so fast - but don't necessarily stop where you want to.

R. J. Mitchell who designed the Spitfire fighter plane was famously
quoted; "if it looks right - it'll probably fly" - IMO: cantilevers
don't look right.

Looking "right" depends very much on the knowledge base of the person
doing the looking.

Actually the criteria has always been " the eye of the beholder", has
it not? :-)
--
cheers,

John B.