CycleBanter.com

-   -   Tour de France 2017: London turns down chance to host start (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=249143)

Bod[_5_] September 30th 15 09:02 AM

Tour de France 2017: London turns down chance to host start

"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Alycidon September 30th 15 09:03 AM

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money spent on cycling infrastructure instead.

http://road.cc/content/news/166305-b...e-grand-depart

Bod[_5_] September 30th 15 09:10 AM

On 30/09/2015 09:03, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money spent on cycling infrastructure instead.

http://road.cc/content/news/166305-b...e-grand-depart

The question remains, as Chris Boardman said "Why bid for it in the
first place".
I too find that strange. The costing should've been known before the bid.

Alycidon September 30th 15 09:23 AM

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:10:51 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 30/09/2015 09:03, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money spent on cycling infrastructure instead.

http://road.cc/content/news/166305-b...e-grand-depart

The question remains, as Chris Boardman said "Why bid for it in the
first place".
I too find that strange. The costing should've been known before the bid.

Yes - it knackered it for Manchester and Glasgow and I doubt if the organisers will consider the UK again for a long time.

Bod[_5_] September 30th 15 09:24 AM

On 30/09/2015 09:23, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:10:51 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 30/09/2015 09:03, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money spent on cycling infrastructure instead.

http://road.cc/content/news/166305-b...e-grand-depart

The question remains, as Chris Boardman said "Why bid for it in the
first place".
I too find that strange. The costing should've been known before the bid.

Yes - it knackered it for Manchester and Glasgow and I doubt if the organisers will consider the UK again for a long time.

Yup, that's for sure.

Tarcap September 30th 15 11:44 AM

"Alycidon" wrote in message

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:10:51 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 30/09/2015 09:03, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money spent on cycling infrastructure instead.

http://road.cc/content/news/166305-b...e-grand-depart

The question remains, as Chris Boardman said "Why bid for it in the
first place".
I too find that strange. The costing should've been known before the bid.

Yes - it knackered it for Manchester and Glasgow and I doubt if the
organisers will consider the UK again for a long time.

Then it's done them both a favour:

"...Transport for London (TfL) announced yesterday that it would not host
the Tour de France Grand Depart in 2017 because it did not represent value
for money...."

".......He made no reference to yesterday’s report revealing that Welcome to
Yorkshire was left with £750,000 worth of unsold merchandise after the event
and £1m losses overall....."

".......The London Mayor, who describes himself as "the biggest cycling nut
in the world", said the £35m it would cost to host the event could be better
spent......"

".....A source close to London Mayor Boris Johnson told The Times that the
plan to host the Tour was ‘subject to funding being found’, and indicated
that the final price was perceived as too high....."

Just a few quotes gleaned from various newspapers.

jnugent September 30th 15 01:36 PM

On 30/09/2015 09:24, Bod wrote:
[...]

But is there a downside to it?

TMS320 September 30th 15 02:14 PM

Tour de France 2017: London turns down chance to host start

"JNugent" wrote in message

But is there a downside to it?

I expect it is quite a disappointment for a number of posters on urc that
were looking forward to something to whinge about.

David Lang September 30th 15 02:50 PM

Tour de France 2017: London turns down chance to host start

On 30/09/2015 09:03, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money wasted on cycling infrastructure instead.

IFYPFY

David Lang September 30th 15 02:51 PM

On 30/09/2015 09:10, Bod wrote:
On 30/09/2015 09:03, Alycidon wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:02:18 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
"To ensure value for money we must make difficult choices," Leon
Daniels, managing director of surface transport at TfL, told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/34385718

Boris wanted the money spent on cycling infrastructure instead.

http://road.cc/content/news/166305-b...e-grand-depart

The question remains, as Chris Boardman said "Why bid for it in the
first place".

Because cyclists are idiots.