CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driver's education in 2009? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=204292)

[email protected][_2_] June 1st 09 10:59 PM

Driver's education in 2009?

Hello,

With gasoline prices rising, I'm seeing an increase in cyclists.
However, I'm not seeing a DECREASE in motorists.

This tells me that the newer generation is still clinging to the idea
of "getting a driver's license at 16 is still the thing to do.

So, this question is for driving newbies (and, possibly, driver's ed
teachers?): Is "awareness of cyclists" taught in driver's ed? If so,
HOW is it taught?

Tom Sherman °_° June 2nd 09 10:34 AM

Driver's education in 2009?

aka Cullen Carter wrote:
Hello,

With gasoline prices rising, I'm seeing an increase in cyclists.
However, I'm not seeing a DECREASE in motorists.

This tells me that the newer generation is still clinging to the idea
of "getting a driver's license at 16 is still the thing to do.

So, this question is for driving newbies (and, possibly, driver's ed
teachers?): Is "awareness of cyclists" taught in driver's ed? If so,
HOW is it taught?

Not when I took the class, and probably not now that many schools have
dropped the class as part of privatization.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

[email protected] June 2nd 09 03:34 PM

Driver's education in 2009?

wrote:

This tells me that the newer generation is still clinging to the idea
of "getting a driver's license at 16 is still the thing to do.

So, this question is for driving newbies (and, possibly, driver's ed
teachers?): Is "awareness of cyclists" taught in driver's ed? If so,
HOW is it taught?

I don't know if it's taught in the classroom at all, but around here
the State Driver's Handbook contains a page about cyclists. Sez they
have the same rights as car drivers, that they're supposed to obey
traffic laws, that normally they should stay to the right, but that they
might have to move out into the lane for reasons that might not be
apparent to a driver. It adds that kids on bikes may behave
unpredictably. There's a full page about cyclists in the edition I
have.
Of course, once they pass the test and get their license, most
drivers never look at the Handbook again.

Bill (Frumious)

__o | Give a man a fire, and he will stay warm for a day.
_`\(,_ | Set a man on fire, he stays warm for the rest of his life.
(_)/ (_) |

It's Chris June 2nd 09 07:25 PM

Driver's education in 2009?

When I took DE back in the stone ages ometimes known as the seventy's
Bicyclists were mentioned as "being vehicles due the same rights of the
road as cars."

No mention of proper cycling behavior though. The above being pretty
much the thrust of it.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"