CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   cracked rim (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=206718)

Mary July 25th 09 04:43 AM

cracked rim

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. Needless to say I ordered a new rim. My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in? I had hoped to do about 70
miles this weekend. We have had so much rain this summer. I hate to loose
a decent weather weekend of riding. The shop guy seemed to think it would
be ok as long as I took it easy bump wise.

Mary July 25th 09 10:09 PM

cracked rim

Never mind. I decided not to take the chance. took my old bike off the
trainer and will use that until the new wheel comes in. Better safe than
sorry I suppose.

John Thompson July 26th 09 02:11 AM

cracked rim

On 2009-07-25, mary wrote:

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. Needless to say I ordered a new rim. My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in?

Not if it's one of those new-fangled "low spoke count" wheels.

--

-John )

Velocolour July 26th 09 04:26 AM

Just ride the bike. It'll be fine.
noah

Don Lesco July 26th 09 01:39 PM

cracked rim

On 2009-07-25, mary wrote:

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. *Needless to say I ordered a new rim. *My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in?

Not if it's one of those new-fangled "low spoke count" wheels.

--

-John )

A good point form John.

For the record, I developed a crack while on tour about 1500 km from
home. It was a 36 spoke triple cross wheel. I made it about 1000km
before I had to replace it. It had developed a severe enough wobble
that I had to undo the cantilever brakes so the would not rub. You
would likely have been OK for 70 miles if it is not a low spoke count
wheel. I have no experience with them.

Pat[_18_] July 29th 09 01:59 PM

cracked rim

mary wrote:
Never mind. I decided not to take the chance. took my old bike off
the trainer and will use that until the new wheel comes in. Better
safe than sorry I suppose.

I call that an "act like a grown-up moment" because it happened to me, too.
I was 12 miles from the end of a ride when my front tire developed a
sizeable bulge. At first, I thought the sound was my heart beat, going
thub-thub, thub-thub as the wheel rotated, and then I saw the bulge. I
stopped, of course. There were 5 of us and the other 4 said I should "tough
it out." I almost did, but in the long run decided to act like an adult
instead of hoping it would be okay. I also call this a "how would I explain
this in the emergency room" moment. Can't you just see a doctor asking you,
"Well, you knew your rim was cracked and yet you ignored that and continued
to ride?"

Yes, it is better to be safe---and sane rather than give in to the desire to
take a chance with your life and limbs.

Pat in TX