CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=223559)

Marco[_3_] December 10th 10 09:47 PM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

On Dec 8, 3:58*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
snip
...and much more, very entertaining stuff

snip

Agree... this Alexi stuff is entertaining and awesome. Particularly so
for me and the generation of riders who were around when he started.
Indulge me a few brief Alexi stories with a common theme...

1. Berkeley Hills RR, late 1970's, junior race to earn points (10
deep) to go to world championship trials: Two riders off the front,
Alexi and his teammate working their asses off to pull them back, most
all the rest of us sitting on waiting to sprint for 3rd. The two stay
away. I got 2nd in the sprint, and thus 4th in the race. Alexi and his
teammate didn't place. My friends and I walk by Alexi afterward, and
he's livid and spitting and cussing at us, "You fukkin wheelsuckers,
you race like losers, blah, blah, blah..."

2. Team Time Trial at junior worlds team trials in Colorado Springs
that same year: Groups of four were chosen to ride together based on
the staff's assessment of similar abilities. I don't remember the
following due to oxygen deprivation most likely, but one of my
teammates that day (Sterling McBride) recalls it clearly. In the
latter half of the race, the four of us were plugging away into the
wind when out of nowhere, Alexi comes blowing by us ALL BY HIMSELF!!!
He had dropped his teammates in a TTT because he could go faster
alone! Who knows, maybe he attacked them?!?!

3. The following year at some OTC camp: Alexi pees on a guy's bike who
he doesn't respect ...but then gets the **** beaten out of him by said
bike's owner.

My point is, from an early age, he showed the fire and scrappiness
that would define his entire bike racing career. In my experience, 95+
% of the riders that take the line at any level don't have the passion
to win. I know I didn't, and still don't. Clearly there are good
genetics in the family (e.g., Rishi too) but I think Alexi did as well
as he did because of his rare ability to tap into and fuel off of raw
emotion.

Anton Berlin December 10th 10 10:06 PM

[...]

Great stories -This is why people love Alexi Grewal - he's got the
**** that cowards and team players dream they had.

Alexi probably doesn't even remember these things - just another day
at the office for him.

--D-y December 11th 10 02:51 PM

On Dec 10, 4:06*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
[...]

I'm not an Alexi fan so maybe someone else should tell the story of
how Alexi lost the GC for the Tour of Texas at the Zilker Park crit.
--D-y

Amit Ghosh December 11th 10 04:51 PM

On Dec 10, 4:47*pm, Marco wrote:

My point is, from an early age, he showed the fire and scrappiness
that would define his entire bike racing career. In my experience, 95+
% of the riders that take the line at any level don't have the passion
to win. I know I didn't, and still don't. Clearly there are good
genetics in the family (e.g., Rishi too) but I think Alexi did as well
as he did because of his rare ability to tap into and fuel off of raw
emotion.

dumbass,

some riders can be very good but they can't be a good pro because they
are injury prone or they get sick too often, a disability if you will.
in grewal's case it was his emotions.

he sabotaged what could've been a long pro career. a guy like andreu
did not have the same ability but he was a solid pro for over a decade
not to mention some of the others that he beat at the olympics.

these emotional type guys (decanio is another) are actually
narcissists. guys that succeed long term are always more level
headed.

Plano Dude December 11th 10 07:54 PM

On Dec 10, 4:47*pm, Marco wrote:

[...]

Some serious cumguzzlers on this thread. All they're missing is a
silicone wristband.

Michael Press December 11th 10 08:45 PM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

In article
,
Marco wrote:

On Dec 8, 3:58Â*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

Sound as if he learned something from event 1.

--
Michael Press

Anton Berlin December 11th 10 08:59 PM

Alexi Grewal: worst teammate ever

Some serious cumguzzlers on this thread. All they're missing is a
silicone wristband.

Everyone recognizes that Plano Douche has had more testicles lodged in
his throat than Liz Hatch fantasizes about and masturbates to.

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. December 12th 10 03:28 AM

On Dec 11, 8:51*am, Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Dec 10, 4:47*pm, Marco wrote:

[...]

Dumbass -

The biggest problem was no one wanted him on their team. I guess you
could call it "emotional", but it's a bit more than that. Some people
are emotional and manifest it outwardly in a positive way.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

A. Dumas[_2_] December 12th 10 12:32 PM

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. wrote:
could call it "emotional", but it's a bit more than that. Some people
are emotional and manifest it outwardly in a positive way.

Definitely agreed. Lots of emotional people who make it big in sports,
cycling included. Think of hothead sprinters or nervous climbers.